We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT)

Reaction Score
With Paige coming back, Nika has a chance to worry a little less about leading the team and controlling the game. I predict you will see an uptick in her scoring, which will compensate for a reduction in assists. This girl works hard and plays hard. Never bet against her!

Reaction Score
Following up on this post, Nika has started 70 of the 92 college games she has played. After a stellar junior season, why do people keep insisting that she'll come off the bench? Caroline has started 16 out of 54 games. Why do people think this trend will reverse?
I'll take your word for the figures you've posted. However, you're overlooking some very important facts. That's the problem with "figures", they can be presented in many ways to make a point. For example, Nika started most of those games because Paige was not available! You are also forgetting that Caroline was plagued with injures throughout this past season. She was never in adequate condition to start, and only did when there was no one else. So to present her negative comparison is grossly unfair! She became a starter as a freshman and led the team to several victories before also sustaining injuries that sent her to the bench.

None of us here will have any input whatsoever into Geno's decision as to next season's starters. There are presumably some givens: Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah, but the remaining two are most likely up for grabs.

Reaction Score
This is the model that the WNBA uses. You have the starters, then the second team. The second team/units on most teams get their share of minutes. No coach wants to burn his/her starters out playing them 35+ minutes a game.
In a normal season (the last was certainly not normal), Geno determines who are his top 7-8 players. They are the ones who will get the majority of minutes, regardless of the game score. Why? Because Geno believes that his best players need to continuously work together under game conditions. Personally, I agree with that and it's a system that has been highly successful here. There are 200 minutes available per game. So, with eight (8) players averaging 25 minutes each there's nothing left. That means with a roster of 14, regardless of their potential abilities six (6) players aren't going to see much action.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Paige and Azzi and Caroline are healthy, UCONN is the best team in the country.
Almost. If The Kid, Fudd and Edwards are healthy. But we'll still need contributions from Muhl, CFD, Griffin and 1 of Ice, El Afly or Deberry. Anything after that is just margin of victory.

Reaction Score
Almost. If The Kid, Fudd and Edwards are healthy. But we'll still need contributions from Muhl, CFD, Griffin and 1 of Ice, El Afly or Deberry. Anything after that is just margin of victory.
You missed the point @hoophuskee was making! All three (Paige, Azzi and Caroline) basically missed the entire past season. He wasn't in any way leaving Aaliyah or any other member of the team out of the equation.

Reaction Score
I think we need to rein in our expectations for Paige & the others returning from injury, Paige in particular. Yes it will be great to have them all healthy and ready to go.

However expecting any of them to come out of the gate 100% on their game isn't realistic. It's going to take some time for them to get re-acclimated to the speed of the game for one thing and some may struggle with that. Others may struggle confidence wise, it's hard to come back from a serious injury 100% confident in your ability to cut, jump, etc the way you did before the injury.

Let's all be patient & supportive of the wounded Huskies as they make their way back to the game. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You missed the point @hoophuskee was making! All three (Paige, Azzi and Caroline) basically missed the entire past season. He wasn't in any way leaving Aaliyah or any other member of the team out of the equation.
If, IF, that was the point, then I guess I did miss it. But it's easy to miss a point when the point is not presented in the post.

Reaction Score
I'll take your word for the figures you've posted. However, you're overlooking some very important facts. That's the problem with "figures", they can be presented in many ways to make a point. For example, Nika started most of those games because Paige was not available! You are also forgetting that Caroline was plagued with injures throughout this past season. She was never in adequate condition to start, and only did when there was no one else. So to present her negative comparison is grossly unfair! She became a starter as a freshman and led the team to several victories before also sustaining injuries that sent her to the bench.

None of us here will have any input whatsoever into Geno's decision as to next season's starters. There are presumably some givens: Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah, but the remaining two are most likely up for grabs.
You are reading "negative" as it pertains to Caroline. She primarily started 11 games as a frosh only because Paige and Aubrey were out. Her position on the court has nothing to do with Nika. They have different roles.

As for the figures, they remain facts. How you interpret them frames your opinion. My point about trends is they will continue until something reverses them. To argue differently is refusing to accept a pattern, and more importantly, Geno's history of how he manages his team. Caroline nominally fits in to a "2" or "3" role. Although she can do other things, she is more of a wing, spot-up shooter. I would argue that both Paige and Azzi, as #1 recruits and better shooters, are ahead of her in the rotation.

My assertion that Nika will start is based on how Geno values her role and she brings 3 years of experience at the point - something that Geno puts a premium on, if past history is any guide.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After a stellar junior season, why do people keep insisting that she'll come off the bench?
Because she plays the same position as the best player on the team and is a little turnover prone. Paige Bueckers is a better passer, has a higher basketball IQ while also being a major scoring threat. Sure you can play Paige as a two guard, and I suspect that's what may happen, but anytime you take the ball out of her hands you hurt the team. Nika's strengths, which are considerable, or largely derivative of her passing and running the offense. Undoubtedly, because very good at those things, Paige is better. I will say that Nika is in outstanding defender and disruptor.

I'm not saying that Nika will not start, I am just pointing out that there are reasons why she might not get the starting nod on a team that is as talented as Connecticut will be next season.

Although I think starting prognostications are at best informed guesses this early in the season, I suspect that Nika will start at the start of the year, but given all the talent that we have, it would not surprise me if someone else assumed a starting role in the second half of the year, giving us more offensive fire power.

Reaction Score
I'm confident that a healthy Brady is better than any of the grad transfers.
Rose colored glasses. Marrow is a beast and ice is untested. I hope ice plays as well as a seasoned vet. I still think Connecticut has a national championship caliber team, but LSU certainly made it harder with their additions.

Reaction Score
Rose colored glasses. Marrow is a beast and ice is untested. I hope ice plays as well as a seasoned vet. I still think Connecticut has a national championship caliber team, but LSU certainly made it harder with their additions.
Morrow is not a center...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good luck with that dream! While I agree with the thought, there is no way Geno is changing his behavior. If there was ever a time for him to do so, it was last year with Amari and it did not happen.
A little while back he saw one freshman and handed her the team. Maybe he'll see enough in these freshman to push them out on the floor now and then.

Reaction Score
If everyone is healthy my thought is Geno will play the other two positions with defense in mind. Nika is the two time defensive player of the year so I think she is in there. The other spot really is up for grabs but ideally it would be DeBerry since she gives you the most length but they have several great players and one is sure to step up.

Reaction Score
If, IF, that was the point, then I guess I did miss it. But it's easy to miss a point when the point is not presented in the post.
The point couldn't have been clearer!

Kat

Reaction Score
Is there a deadline for teams to add transfer players to their rosters?

Reaction Score
You are reading "negative" as it pertains to Caroline. She primarily started 11 games as a frosh only because Paige and Aubrey were out. Her position on the court has nothing to do with Nika. They have different roles.

As for the figures, they remain facts. How you interpret them frames your opinion. My point about trends is they will continue until something reverses them. To argue differently is refusing to accept a pattern, and more importantly, Geno's history of how he manages his team. Caroline nominally fits in to a "2" or "3" role. Although she can do other things, she is more of a wing, spot-up shooter. I would argue that both Paige and Azzi, as #1 recruits and better shooters, are ahead of her in the rotation.

My assertion that Nika will start is based on how Geno values her role and she brings 3 years of experience at the point - something that Geno puts a premium on, if past history is any guide.
Yes, Nika and Carolina play different position and have different roles. But it is you who are pairing the two together and against one another as to who starts next season. I believe Paige is the best point guard on this team, perhaps one of the best (if not the best) point guard in the country. Nika only started 90% of those games because Paige could not play due to injury. Aubrey had nothing to due with Caroline starting (and winning games for us) as a freshman. Paige's injury and Azzi inability to play were what gave Caroline the opportunity. And, she proved more than capable until she too was injured at the same time Paige was able to return.

Nika is a fine player, but she is a point guard who has limited offensive skills. I just don't see a reason for her to be in the starting lineup provided everyone is healthy. Caroline on the other hand is a proven winner offensively, and when healthy is not bad defensively either. It's seems so easy for people on this site to forget how she can play when healthy! Other than those points, I agree with your assessments.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Back to back NC are rare, unless you go to UConn.
One of the most often asked questions in sports.........which is harder to do, win a championship, or win 2 back to back? :eek: BOTH are extremely hard to do. As well all know, UConn was the last to do it in 2015-2016 (the Breanna Stewart era). Ask South Carolina how hard it is to do. They just missed doing it by the length of a fingernail. Ask any of the other schools that have won one since 2017.

Reactions: JBK

JBK

Reaction Score
Nika will start at point guard. Period.
Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are givens, if healthy.
I think, that, given Aubrey's back history (it's been mentioned previously that she, at times, needs to stop practicing and stretch/rest) she can be much more valuable as a missile coming off of the bench.
As for the 5th starter, I would love to see Amari grab it and run, but I don't see it happening. Too inconsistent. Aaliyah will need some help underneath, and that is not where Caroline belongs full time, given her injury history. So we're left with Ice, Jana. and possibly Ayanna, though she needs to relax and let the game come to her.
We'll see.
Let's Go Huskies!

sun

Reaction Score
IIRC it may be 10 days after the semester begins.
Although Ines wasn't a transfer, I think that was stated when she came to UConn.

JBK

Reaction Score
We are all Nika fans and would agree she saved our season last year !!!
In the off season I hope for her sake she worked on her offensive game if her desire is to play in the WNBA. We also do not want teams double teaming AE and blocking the middle.
I don’t care if it is Nika or Paige that starts at the point, but we have to cut down on our year long turnover problem and must give no team the confidence to ever press us.
Caitlin Clark dissolved the OS press in about 3 minutes and we all know how we looked our last game —20 plus turn overs

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The deadline to enter the portal to transfer and play immediately is May 11th, as long as the player has not already transferred. I would not be surprised if there are a bunch of portal entries that we won't hear about until after the 11th.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With Paige and/or Azzi on the court, Ashlynn Shade will have a lot of room to operate. No one’s talking about her but she’s another tough-minded, athletic guard that shoots 40% from the perimeter.

Reaction Score
To me, limiting such a great player with so many gifts to just one one position would be the greatest tragedy of all.
She wouldn’t be limited to one position as she would switch to sg/sf when Nika came in. Anyone who believes Geno would limit Paige in any way except for health reasons has not been paying attention.

Reaction Score
Nika needs to develop a mid-range game if she wants to take her game to the next level. In many games, teams would drop off her and be more than willing to give her the shot. She can sometimes beat her player off the perimeter and penetrate and score. But, that was the exception. Paige running the point with the ball in her hands leads to so many more options for the half-court offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom