We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT)

Reaction Score
That
A little while back he saw one freshman and handed her the team. Maybe he'll see enough in these freshman to push them out on the floor now and then.
A little while back he saw one freshman and handed her the team. Maybe he'll see enough in these freshman to push them out on the floor now and then.
That would certainly be a positive development!

Reaction Score
Because she plays the same position as the best player on the team and is a little turnover prone. Paige Bueckers is a better passer, has a higher basketball IQ while also being a major scoring threat. Sure you can play Paige as a two guard, and I suspect that's what may happen, but anytime you take the ball out of her hands you hurt the team. Nika's strengths, which are considerable, or largely derivative of her passing and running the offense. Undoubtedly, because very good at those things, Paige is better. I will say that Nika is in outstanding defender and disruptor.

I'm not saying that Nika will not start, I am just pointing out that there are reasons why she might not get the starting nod on a team that is as talented as Connecticut will be next season.

Although I think starting prognostications are at best informed guesses this early in the season, I suspect that Nika will start at the start of the year, but given all the talent that we have, it would not surprise me if someone else assumed a starting role in the second half of the year, giving us more offensive fire power.
Nika will start unless she has regressed from year to year. How long she stays in, how many minutes she gets will depend on what is happening in the game, turnovers, fouls, etc. I don't expect Geno to suddenly go deep in his regular rotation.

I do agree with the highlight portion of your post. In fact, I think you give BY'ers too much credit at guessing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nika will start unless she has regressed from year to year. How long she stays in, how many minutes she gets will depend on what is happening in the game, turnovers, fouls, etc. I don't expect Geno to suddenly go deep in his regular rotation.

I do agree with the highlight portion of your post. In fact, I think you give BY'ers too much credit at guessing.
Yeah, I guess the answer is "who knows?" I will point out though that Nika not starting doesn't necessarily mean that she regressed given the enormous influx of talent joining the team next season, both from healthy returning players and our extraordinary freshman class. Again, I think she will start at the beginning of the year, whether that changes midseason or so, we shall see.

Reaction Score
She wouldn’t be limited to one position as she would switch to sg/sf when Nika came in. Anyone who believes Geno would limit Paige in any way except for health reasons has not been paying attention.
Then why not start Nika? What difference would it make for Paige if Nika starts or not? Anyhow, wasn't the point I replied to was that Alydar had said Paige is the best pg and you don't move the best pg away from her natural position? That's the big reason why Alydar and others don't want Nika to start, isn't it? If that wasn't Alydar's point, then I apologize. But below is the partial-post I responded to and it reads to me that even if Nika comes in, Alydar seems to suggest that you don't move Paige off the pg spot.

"To me putting her anywhere but pg would be like asking Picasso to paint the floor of the Sistine Chapel instead of the ceiling."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU and SC both added big impact players... BUT, we will be adding Paige and Ice to the mix. If we get anything near freshman Paige, that is the #1 addition in the country. We may even get a better Paige, 2 years older, smarter and stronger. Ice adds a refined offensive game and some size. Plus, we hopefully add 1/2 Azzi and 1/2 Caroline if they are at full health (tho Caroline may need a helmet since her head seems to be a magnet for elbows and other body parts). That is some pretty good additions!
So, what else do we have/need? Aaliyah needs to be even more of a beast inside than she was most of last year (AA level would be nice). Aubrey (if she returns, and I think/hope she will) should be a year more confident and can continue to be our Swiss Army knife. We have Nika, of course, though I'm not sure where/how she fits in. There is no questioning her grit and competitiveness. Her defense is top notch, her assists excellent (as her all time record shows), but her shooting can be inconsistent and her turnovers leave a bit to be desired. Will she be a starter? Or an important reserve. I just don't know. If Azzi and Caroline are fully healthy, I think Nika goes to the bench. I just don't see a starting five of Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Nika. Might work in the Big East, but not against big, Top 10 foes. I don't see much of a roll for Ines.
As for the freshman, I don't expect much (other than from Jana) because if healthy, we don't really need much from them. If we do get something, it's means they have performed beyond expectations, which would great. Jana has needed size and skill and a half year in the program to get herself ready, so I expect some contribution from her.
So, what is our ceiling? A Natty, of course, though the road will be tough.
And as we have learned to our great dismay the past two years, the injury bug is always the great unknown.
I disagree about Nikka. Her increased turnovers, in my opinion, were due to the unrelenting pressure of having to be point guard 40 minutes every game. With KK on the court, not to mention Paige, Nikka can focus more on being the defensive disrupter that she is, and on ball distribution. If she plays 25 minutes per game, she will excel every possession. But your core premise is correct; we need a number of players to be 100% healthy all year, if we are going to have any shot at the NCAA title. And that is not likely. When four of your players ( Paige; Azzi; Ice; and Caroline) are coming off serious, debilitating injuries, hoping for 100% fitness and health
is a " Big Ask." I didn't mention Aubrey because full recovery from back injuries are even more difficult to forecast than knee problems and concussions. I believe she intends to play. but the back spasms she experienced at year end are worrisome. Naturally.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that dream! While I agree with the thought, there is no way Geno is changing his behavior. If there was ever a time for him to do so, it was last year with Amari and it did not happen.
I believe we won't see either KK of Shade "nailed to the bench." They will earn quality court time early. I don't know about Qadance. She would be a nice surprise. DeBerry earned her time on the bench. She may yet emerge as a force, but we saw very little of the energy and talent that foreshadow that. And you are certainly right about Geno; he isn't changing at this point

Reaction Score
Nika needs to develop a mid-range game if she wants to take her game to the next level. In many games, teams would drop off her and be more than willing to give her the shot. She can sometimes beat her player off the perimeter and penetrate and score. But, that was the exception. Paige running the point with the ball in her hands leads to so many more options for the half-court offense.
Having either Paige or Azzi pass the ball rather than shoot the ball limits UCONN's halfcourt Offense unless their pass leads to an uncontested 5 footer. Paige Bueckers shot 46.4% from 3 as a freshman. as the team's #1 option (the opposing defense tries its best to shutdown). That's equivalent to 69.6%. And if her 2pt shooting gets better than her frosh year, realistically who is going to shoot better than her other than near layups for others, or maybe a healthy Azzi?

sun

Reaction Score
Then why not start Nika? What differecne would it make for Paige if Nika starts or not? Anyhow, wasn't the point I replied to was that Alydar had said Paige is the best pg and you don't move the best pg away from her naturral position? That's the big reason why Alydar and others don't want Nika to start, isn't it? If that wasn't Alyadar's point, then I apologize. But below is the partial-post I responded to and it reads to me that even if Nika comes in, Alydar seems to suggest that you don't move Paige off the pg spot.

"To me putting her anywhere but pg would be like asking Picasso to paint the floor of the Sistine Chapel instead of the ceiling."
Geno isn't just a rubber stamp when he makes decisions about PT.
Players should need to earn their PT each & every year based on the needs of the team and in light of the abilities of the players that are sitting on the bench.
If Nika plays too much PG then one of the other players will need to sit who may be able to contribute in ways that Nika isn't able to.
Geno needs to make the judgment whether Nika's skills are more valuable than the skills of others on the bench.
The needs can change minute to minute and game to game based on the opponent and the performance of the team.
Other talented players have just as much interest in being treated fairly by Geno as Nika does.
It's not always about playing favorites and following seniority.
More players may need to get a chance to showcase their abilities in real game situations.
Perhaps Nika isn't the only one who can pass the ball with authority, dribble up the court & make critical game decisions.
Some fans may have a different perspective than Geno does since he's also interested in developing players talents for when he really needs them.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't understand why a healthy Paige would prevent Nika from starting. When Paige and Nika were freshmen (2020-2021) Geno put Nika in the starting lineup halfway through the season. I recall Geno saying Nika made the team better. Nika started 15 games, all of which Paige also started.

What am I missing?

Reaction Score
More players may need to get a chance to showcase their abilities in real game situations.
Perhaps Nika isn't the only one who can pass the ball with authority, dribble up the court & make critical game decisions.
I agree with your post except I'd like to offer an alternative to your last few comments above.

Perhaps Nika is the 2nd (maybe 3rd if it's Azzi) best passer on this team and along with her stellar defense gives UCONN the best chance to win close games rather than young inexperienced freshmen and sophomores can provide.

sun

Reaction Score
I agree with your post except I'd like to offer an alternative to your last few comments above.

Perhaps Nika is the 2nd (maybe 3rd if it's Azzi) best passer on this team and along with her stellar defense gives UCONN the best chance to win close games rather than young inexperienced freshmen and sophomores can provide.
Last year when the team got bogged down with scoring, Geno said that he wanted more one on one BB action.
One on one is not exactly Nika's strongest suit.
If players other than Nika can stimulate scoring against tough teams by using one on one action, then consider the reason why Geno may do some substituting in new ways.
Not everything is based on doing things exactly as in the past, sometimes the coaches & players need to improvise to freshen up the team's look & to improve the team's performance.
It's a way to change up the way things are done so that the team doesn't become too predictable & beatable.
Why not use more of the weapons on the team if it can help take the defensive heat off of Paige & Azzi.
KK may be able to provide a real spark to the team when it really needs one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the most often asked questions in sports.........which is harder to do, win a championship, or win 2 back to back? :eek: BOTH are extremely hard to do. As well all know, UConn was the last to do it in 2015-2016 (the Breanna Stewart era). Ask South Carolina how hard it is to do. They just missed doing it by the length of a fingernail. Ask any of the other schools that have won one since 2017.
Mulkey had Griner and won once; Staley had Aja Wilson and A. Boston and won once each....We have Paige, it is her turn to get one.

Reaction Score
Having either Paige or Azzi pass the ball rather than shoot the ball limits UCONN's halfcourt Offense unless their pass leads to an uncontested 5 footer. Paige Bueckers shot 46.4% from 3 as a freshman. as the team's #1 option (the opposing defense tries its best to shutdown). That's equivalent to 69.6%. And if her 2pt shooting gets better than her frosh year, realistically who is going to shoot better than her other than near layups for others, or maybe a healthy Azzi?
The problem with UConn's half court offense the last several years is that it often gets bogged down. Players just pass side to side until the clock runs out and someone has to make a play. If Paige has the ball she opens the offense up in many ways. She can take her man off the dribble or screen and shoot from the perimeter.she can drive to the hoop and pull up for a short jumper or she can drive and dish to an open player. The problem I have with Nika sometimes at the point is she's basically pass first and shoot last. She also has trouble beating her man off the dribble because she's not quick enough.Teams know that and will just back off and double either paige or another shooter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then why not start Nika? What difference would it make for Paige if Nika starts or not? Anyhow, wasn't the point I replied to was that Alydar had said Paige is the best pg and you don't move the best pg away from her natural position? That's the big reason why Alydar and others don't want Nika to start, isn't it? If that wasn't Alydar's point, then I apologize. But below is the partial-post I responded to and it reads to me that even if Nika comes in, Alydar seems to suggest that you don't move Paige off the pg spot.

She has to rest sometime, as does Azzi and everyone else!

Reaction Score
Last year when the team got bogged down with scoring, Geno said that he wanted more one on one BB action.
One on one is not exactly Nika's strongest suit.
If players other than Nika can stimulate scoring against tough teams by using one on one action, then consider the reason why Geno may do some substituting in new ways.
Not everything is based on doing things exactly as in the past, sometimes the coaches & players need to improvise to freshen up the team's look & to improve the team's performance.
It's a way to change up the way things are done so that the team doesn't become too predictable & beatable.
Why not use more of the weapons on the team if it can help take the defensive heat off of Paige & Azzi.
KK may be able to provide a real spark to the team when it really needs one.
Last year Paige was hurt, Azzi was hurt, Caroline was hurt and Ice who may also be a good scorer was hurt. With all these injuires more offense was needed. And the 1st two aforementioned are off the charts efficent scorers when healthy. the last thing UCONN needs is KK taking shots away from Paige and Azzi.

Not everything needs to be changed up. It's been clear injuires were the problem.

More less efficient scorers (taking shots away from Paige and Azzi) is not a good thing unless Defense is factored in.

And UCONN could have a real spark between Nika, Aubrey, and Caroline whoever of them that comes off the bench. As of this moment in time, my money would be on the 3 upperclassmen being superior to KK,.

Reaction Score
The problem with UConn's half court offense the last several years is that it often gets bogged down. Players just pass side to side until the clock runs out and someone has to make a play. If Paige has the ball she opens the offense up in many ways. She can take her man off the dribble or screen and shoot from the perimeter.she can drive to the hoop and pull up for a short jumper or she can drive and dish to an open player. The problem I have with Nika sometimes at the point is she's basically pass first and shoot last. She also has trouble beating her man off the dribble because she's not quick enough.Teams know that and will just back off and double either paige or another shooter.
The offense has been bogged down this year and last year (the past 2) because of mostly injuries. And the prior year their 2nd/3rd options have not been near the same as the past great teams.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why a healthy Paige would prevent Nika from starting. When Paige and Nika were freshmen (2020-2021) Geno put Nika in the starting lineup halfway through the season. I recall Geno saying Nika made the team better. Nika started 15 games, all of which Paige also started.

What am I missing?
Maybe, if everyone is healthy, there may be other combinations that play better. Maybe not. We’ll find out if and when everyone is 100%! Virtually every action, lineup, playing time decision Geno has made for two years has been colored/influenced by our injury situation! No one knows what would have happened or what will happen if the entire roster was/is fully healthy.

Reaction Score
She has to rest sometime, as does Azzi and everyone else!
Yes. But that wasn't Alydar's point from what I read. Again I apologize if I misread his post but KI believe he's been saying that when they are both in togther, Paige is the Picasso, so the assumtion is that Nika is the wing. That's part of the reason given why Nika can't start is what some think,

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe, if everyone is healthy, there may be other combinations that play better. Maybe not. We’ll find out if and when everyone is 100%! Virtually every action, lineup, playing time decision Geno has made for two years has been colored/influenced by our injury situation! No one knows what would have happened or what will happen if the entire roster was/is fully healthy.
Of course, but some here are suggesting Paige and Nika can't both be starters because they're both point guards. My point is they both were starters as freshman and that team made the Final Four. Injuries didn't force that decision. Nika is a much better player now than she was then.

sun

Reaction Score
There was a similar problem with Ines not being a confident enough ball handler or able to penetrate the lane.
Maybe some of the our European PG's didn't dedicate themselves to learning how to dribble circles around defenders at an early enough age like Paige & KK have shown.
Maybe some PG's were forced to develop the skill because they really love to excel or because they played against tougher competition.
Or maybe it's a skill that's based on innate talent that some players just don't have.
If they do have it then they haven't displayed it to the level of proficiency of Paige & KK yet.

Last year Paige was hurt, Azzi was hurt, Caroline was hurt and Ice who may also be a good scorer was hurt. With all these injuires more offense was needed. And the 1st two aforementioned are off the charts efficent scorers when healthy. the last thing UCONN needs is KK taking shots away from Paige and Azzi.

Not everything needs to be changed up. It's been clear injuires were the problem.

More less efficient scorers (taking shots away from Paige and Azzi) is not a good thing unless Defense is factored in.

And UCONN could have a real spark between Nika, Aubrey, and Caroline whoever of them that comes off the bench. As of this moment in time, my money would be on the 3 upperclassmen being superior to KK,.
You say that you don't want KK taking shots away from Paige, but if KK enters the game it will probably be to replace Paige or Nika at the PG position.
KK wouldn't be taking shots away from Paige because she would be manufacturing shots by creating diversions for our other shooters if she didn't penetrate or make some shots herself.
Paige is the 1st one to tell teammates that if the ball gets passed to you then shoot it.
That's why the team has rebounders.
It's all about baptism by fire.
Maybe some NIka fans are worried that KK will be too good when she eventually gets to play.
That's food for thought but you know that KK will get multiple chances to display her skills & will score on 3 levels.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a normal season (the last was certainly not normal), Geno determines who are his top 7-8 players. They are the ones who will get the majority of minutes, regardless of the game score. Why? Because Geno believes that his best players need to continuously work together under game conditions. Personally, I agree with that and it's a system that has been highly successful here. There are 200 minutes available per game. So, with eight (8) players averaging 25 minutes each there's nothing left. That means with a roster of 14, regardless of their potential abilities six (6) players aren't going to see much action.

While a player may only average 6 min/game they could have had five or six games where they got 12-15 min and made contributions. If any of the new players show competence and total effort in practice they will get an opportunity in a game. That's the way Geno has run things.

Besides, I refuse to discuss the "problem" of a too deep roster. I'd like to experience that this coming season. :)

Reaction Score

Picasso? Sistine Chapel? Who the heck are you quoting, Yogi didn’t know Paige, did he?

Reaction Score

The brilliance of Bueckers' play makes any other pure pg look bad, simply due to Bueckers' scoring skills which puts pressure on the defense and gives her teammates more and better looks. A lot of Muhl's to's came trying thread a needle because the defense didn't respect her offense enough. If Muhl can elevate and make 12-15's she would be much more dangerous.

I don't think Muhl is spending her summer building her tic toc audience. I would be shocked if she isn't an even more complete player and a stronger player next season.

Reaction Score
Picasso? Sistine Chapel? Who the heck are you quoting, Yogi didn’t know Paige, did he?

The quotes were done by the poster, not me. They took one sentence out of my post. You need to look for my entire post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom