We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT)

Reaction Score
The team was 27th in the nation scoring 75.9 ppg without Paige or a healthy Azzi. We lose Dorka and Lou, but a fully healthy Paige and Azzi easily offsets the loss of their offensive output. On defense the team was 47th, so it seems the team needs more help stopping points than putting them up.
I expect Paige to be a better defender than Lou.
I expect Nika/Aubrey/ Edwards/Azzi/Caroline to be better defenders than they were last year.

The only spot they aren't better is Dorka's. We'll see how much of a Defensive impact she was vs the other players that may fill that role and how much the sum of all the other parts offset Dorka's.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm stating she'll start based on Geno's history on being loyal to his upperclassmen (Nika) and his preference for a 3 guard offense.
Somewhat agree. I don't think Geno's tendency to use upperclassman is because of "loyalty" so much as "trust". In my opinion he relies on upperclassman, much like pretty much every other coach in America, because they know the team's system and he trusts them to implement it. That is true in spades about Nika. Geno absolutely trusts her.

CL82

Reaction Score
The team was 27th in the nation scoring 75.9 ppg without Paige or a healthy Azzi. We lose Dorka and Lou, but a fully healthy Paige and Azzi easily offsets the loss of their offensive output. On defense the team was 47th, so it seems the team needs more help stopping points than putting them up.
Fair point. On the other hand, as scoring goes up the need for lock down defense decreases. Geno will adapt to optimize the players he has. Provided we stay healthy, we should have the depth to be able to play aggressive defense if that's what Geno chooses.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In otherwords, you just can't admit you blew it! :)
Well, I admitted I couldn't read your mind. I was probably in a "literal" zone at the time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I expect Paige to be a better defender than Lou.
I expect Nika/Aubrey/ Edwards/Azzi/Caroline to be better defenders than they were last year.

The only spot they aren't better is Dorka's. We'll see how much of a Defensive impact she was vs the other players that may fill that role and how much the sum of all the other parts offset Dorka's.
Don't know that our defense will be better, or even as good as last year. But I don't think it will really matter. I think our offense will be much better and will easily compensate for any defensive lapse.

Reaction Score
Let's take a look at recent history. In her freshman year, Nika started the later part of the season, alongside Paige and Christyn. Essentially, a 3 guard trio. Sophomore season, she started until Paige returned from her injury. Why? Because Geno wanted/needed Paige on the court alongside Christyn (a senior) and Azzi. Again a 3 guard trio.

Last season, Nika started with Azzi and Lou, until injuries racked that cohesion. Again, a 3 guard trio. With Lou moving on and Paige returning and slotting into Lou's spot, why should we not expect a 3 guard trio to start the season?

I'm not arguing for or against Nika starting. I'm stating she'll start based on Geno's history on being loyal to his upperclassmen (Nika) and his preference for a 3 guard offense. Not to mention that Nika deserves to start alongside the best shooting backcourt duo in the country available to him.
Little guys, like Geno :) tend to be guard-centric. (Not always, just a tendency.)

Reaction Score
A healthy UCONN, is the best team in all of basketball.

The only thing potentially hurting this team is experience at the Post positions. Aaliyah and Dorka were a nice combo that will be hard to replace. Who is the player/s to fill that void of Dorka? Aaliyah is the only All American Post, that isn't allowed to play aggressive without having fouls called against her, so if the pattern continues, we will need some Post players step up. Ayanna/Ice, Jana/Deberry.

I see a lot of debate regarding Nika. Similar to Paige, Nika is the heart and soul of the team and she has a fiery attitude that teammates feed off of. Nika is the best pusher of the basketball and by far the best on ball defender. I love Paige but she gambles a lot on defense and doesn't apply on ball pressure the way Nika does. I'm not sure that is what we are wanting from our all world player (Paige) coming off a serious injury. I see Paige sliding over to run the offense in relief, along with KK.
Paige and KK, will make for a better offensive threat when running PG.

Paige, may need some protection from herself. I could see her maybe having minutes restrictions early which would potentially give Ashlynn and KK, some valuable minutes in the rotation. Limited of course but valuable none the less.

Aubrey and Caroline are obvious candidates for rotation minutes. I have a feeling it's Aubrey who gets the nod as a starter. If not she is first in to replace that 4 spot. Ashlynn could creep in some minutes as the season gets going.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Imagine winning games with depth, along with starters not going more than 25 mins a night. That's my hope.

Reaction Score
Has Geno ever moved a three year starter to the bench for their senior season? Let alone one that is the de facto team captain and one of the best defenders in the country, 2nd behind only Caitlin Clark in assists per game, and the 3rd best 3-point shooter on the team?
Ask Paige Sauer that question.
But for the argument that Nika won’t start because Paige is the better point guard, was Maria Conlon a better point guard than DT?

Reaction Score
Imagine winning games with depth, along with starters not going more than 25 mins a night. That's my hope.
Wow that's a scary thought. What a disaster that would be if you have arguably the 2 best player's in wcbb- if healthy ending up sitting 35%- to 40% of a game that you wind up losing in NCAA's along with Edwards an A/a sitting the same - imagine the disaster that would be?

It would realy be disheartening not being able to see Paige and Azzi not capable of playing no more than 25 minutes because of their injuries. Because who would sit energetic guards that are the among the best in wcbb in tight games for at tops no more than 10 minutes other than ealyl season injury precaution?

CL82

Reaction Score
We've seen it before. I have to think after last year's endurance test, Geno may be inclined toward it.

CL82

Reaction Score
But for the argument that Nika won’t start because Paige is the better point guard, was Maria Conlon a better point guard than DT?
No, but the Conlon teams lacked the amount of depth that this year's team will have if everyone stays healthy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was the one who came to my mind too. But she was already losing time as a Jr. Granted it was to Jones/Williams/Cash, so....understandable.

Fr - 0 starts
So - 36 starts
Jr - 20 starts

But they did get her and Stacey an NC as a going away present.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with you, but in reality it doesn't matter how many points the defense gives up as long as the offense scores one more point than the opponent.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with you, but in reality it doesn't matter how many points the defense gives up as long as the offense scores one more point than the opponent.
Oh, I disagree! ;) It doesn’t matter how many points the offense scores if the defense gives up one more.

Reaction Score

Most of UConn's opponents played deliberate offense and UConn's short bench didn't allow much up tempo play. Possessions were low so total pts were too but early in the season when the team was still relatively healthy they had no trouble scoring. The short bench meant that aggressive defense and it's inevitable fouls was also off the table.

The depth this year, especially at guard, will allow more pressure on defense and an uptempo style of play. At least that's what I hope.

Reaction Score
Let's take a look at recent history. In her freshman year, Nika started the later part of the season, alongside Paige and Christyn. Essentially, a 3 guard trio. Sophomore season, she started until Paige returned from her injury. Why? Because Geno wanted/needed Paige on the court alongside Christyn (a senior) and Azzi. Again a 3 guard trio.

Last season, Nika started with Azzi and Lou, until injuries racked that cohesion. Again, a 3 guard trio. With Lou moving on and Paige returning and slotting into Lou's spot, why should we not expect a 3 guard trio to start the season?

I'm not arguing for or against Nika starting. I'm stating she'll start based on Geno's history on being loyal to his upperclassmen (Nika) and his preference for a 3 guard offense. Not to mention that Nika deserves to start alongside the best shooting backcourt duo in the country available to him.

When Bueckers came back in late 2022 they both started and senior Westbrook came off the bench.

If Ducharme is healthy and Griffin adds a little to her offense they are both better offensive options for pg Bueckers than Muhl would be. Muhl's only viable position is pg, unless she develops a more potent offense.

Reaction Score
When Bueckers came back in late 2022 they both started and senior Westbrook came off the bench.

If Ducharme is healthy and Griffin adds a little to her offense they are both better offensive options for pg Bueckers than Muhl would be. Muhl's only viable position is pg, unless she develops a more potent offense.
Griffin does not add to the offense vs top tier teams with size better than Muhl if all she can do is score inside vs smaller teams. Aubrey's outside game is bad. And she is not a good passer. Muhl at least shoots 34.9% from 3. That's equivalent to over 52% from 2. Far better than Griffin's 3pt shooting.

So with Paige in the game and Muhl passing her the ball, Paige is far superior to Aubrey's offensive game. And it's far beter to pass the ball to arguably the most efficient elite scorer in wcbb (Paige) than taking the ball out of her hands and passing to Aubrey in some instances 20+ feet away from the basket in which she would add nothing vs top tier teams.

Instead with Muhl in, top tier teams leave an equivalent 52% shooter. And she is a helluva passer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol this place and Nika Muhl. So off topic to what was originally presented (but they committed the cardinal sin, mentioning starters). I agree we didn’t pick up any transfer players but we’ve already got too much talent constantly sitting on the sidelines. Despite that we still compete and get just a little short of that national championship. I would love to actually see this team play to their max potential. It’s made it a little rough for me to watch when we play to the level of other teams who aren’t as good.

As for the never ending backcourt dilemma. They can and absolutely will use 3 guards in the lineup. I mean regardless of who starts they will all be instrumental to the success of next season. coming off the bench is not an acknowledgment of being less than. I expect nika to both start and not start throughout the season. They can all rotate and give each other breaks and play together if we need some bursts of offense if the chemistry isn’t working. The needs of the team have not been constant since like Katie Lou left. Every season the roster needs to be tweaked and the roles of players and the team as a whole have changed. Stop talking about traditionally, geno said this and that last year, well what about this lineup from 20 years ago. The best players who work well together will be the main core and that’s all there is to it. It’s been a wild ride since Paige got to UConn and it’s not stopping. I don’t understand the obsession with a starting lineup. The off-season is rough but holy moly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom