We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT) | The Boneyard

We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT)

Reaction Score
LSU and SC both added big impact players... BUT, we will be adding Paige and Ice to the mix. If we get anything near freshman Paige, that is the #1 addition in the country. We may even get a better Paige, 2 years older, smarter and stronger. Ice adds a refined offensive game and some size. Plus, we hopefully add 1/2 Azzi and 1/2 Caroline if they are at full health (tho Caroline may need a helmet since her head seems to be a magnet for elbows and other body parts). That is some pretty good additions!
So, what else do we have/need? Aaliyah needs to be even more of a beast inside than she was most of last year (AA level would be nice). Aubrey (if she returns, and I think/hope she will) should be a year more confident and can continue to be our Swiss Army knife. We have Nika, of course, though I'm not sure where/how she fits in. There is no questioning her grit and competitiveness. Her defense is top notch, her assists excellent (as her all time record shows), but her shooting can be inconsistent and her turnovers leave a bit to be desired. Will she be a starter? Or an important reserve. I just don't know. If Azzi and Caroline are fully healthy, I think Nika goes to the bench. I just don't see a starting five of Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Nika. Might work in the Big East, but not against big, Top 10 foes. I don't see much of a roll for Ines.
As for the freshman, I don't expect much (other than from Jana) because if healthy, we don't really need much from them. If we do get something, it's means they have performed beyond expectations, which would great. Jana has needed size and skill and a half year in the program to get herself ready, so I expect some contribution from her.
So, what is our ceiling? A Natty, of course, though the road will be tough.
And as we have learned to our great dismay the past two years, the injury bug is always the great unknown.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
LSU and SC both added big impact players... BUT, we will be adding Paige and Ice to the mix. ..... We have Nika, of course .... though I'm not sure where/how she fits in. There is no questioning her grit and competitiveness. Her defense is top notch, her assists excellent (as her all time record shows), but her shooting can be inconsistent and her turnovers leave a bit to be desired. Will she be a starter? Or an important reserve. I just don't know. ...

seems to be a double standard for nika.

you acknowledge her great defensive presence and her immense offensive contribution to the team (via assists), but you think these virtues possibly won't be enough to keep her as the starter. well, we shall see. it is possible she fills out the team rather than leads the team. i don't know what it will be either.

but her troubling faults, you say, are her inconsistent shooting and the number of turnovers!

golly gee, who on the team does not suffer from inconsistent shooting? last year, i'd only pitch lou as virtuous. however, many BY favs at times have had a horrendous time making shots ... while not, btw, excelling on defense nor be being keys to team offense.

and turnovers? if high in number, then remember that nika makes a boatload of decisions and passes and not all of them will be stellar -- and not all resulting turnovers are her fault, though they are assessed against her. indeed, nika's t/o ratio is outstanding, especially for a point guard.

i think your reasoning re: nika is not justified by the facts.

this is the sort of thing that leads some to believe there is an anti-nika cabal on the BY. :eek: and now, countered a rabid fan club.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I belive Nika will be a starter along with Paige and Azzi and Aaliyah. The 5th player to start is whats in question.
Ice and Jana are on about the same level. Got to see whats its like but no floor time.
Ayanna know whats it like and can practice accordingly.
Audrey is my pick for the 5th starter.
The rookies are rookies. Ive seen nothing which makes me believe any of them will start or get a large amount of playing time.

Reaction Score
We had an awesome team last year -- injuries, blah blah blah -- and we're losing two keys (Dorka and Lou) and adding Paige and Ice, who I'm convinced will contribute right away. And Jana KK Ashlynn and Q will also find their way into the scorecard through December, maybe even January. From February on, only the tough will get minutes until Geno settles on his tournament 5+2 (or 3). Will Ice or Jana get substantial playing time in February? or KK and Q? Only time will tell. But I suspect these are some pretty tough kids. If it's a matter of fighting their way onto the floor, I think more than one will succeed.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I belive Nika will be a starter along with Paige and Azzi and Aaliyah. The 5th player to start is whats in question.
Ice and Jana are on about the same level. Got to see whats its like but no floor time.
The rookies are rookies. Ive seen nothing which makes me believe any of them will start or get a large amount of playing time.
That's a very small lineup.

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here also:

The Nika nay sayers miss one crucial, important point, Geno and his staff believe Nika makes his team better with her at the Point Guard position, so Nika will start at PG her senior season!

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about Audrey but I’m hoping that Aubrey becomes the 5th starter!!

Reaction Score
I don't see Nika as a starter next season providing ALL of our top players are healthy. I do see her playing a very big role when and where we need her coming off the bench. If Caroline is 100%, she will join Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah and Aubrey in the starting line-up. We don't know anything about the actual abilities of Ice or Jana at this level, and Ayanna only played last season because we had no one else. Amari just doesn't impress Geno and I'll be surprised if either of the in coming freshman guards see much playing time.

Reaction Score
Nika will start at point guard. Period.
Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are givens, if healthy.
I think, that, given Aubrey's back history (it's been mentioned previously that she, at times, needs to stop practicing and stretch/rest) she can be much more valuable as a missile coming off of the bench.
As for the 5th starter, I would love to see Amari grab it and run, but I don't see it happening. Too inconsistent. Aaliyah will need some help underneath, and that is not where Caroline belongs full time, given her injury history. So we're left with Ice, Jana. and possibly Ayanna, though she needs to relax and let the game come to her.
We'll see.
Let's Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I really don't think we needed to add anyone from the portal. What we have coming back, is plenty and the new faces coming in, should be all we need. The key is going to be the health of the players, how well players develop their skills between now and when the season starts, how the coaching staff establishes roles for the players, and develops an offensive and defensive system that unleashes that talent.

Reaction Score
When UConn plays any competitor with decent size I don't see Aaliyah being the starting post player without help from one of Amari, Ayanna, Ice or Jana.........I think it's going to be a lot of fun watching them all compete for playing time.....we can only hope that it's competition and not injuries that determines who plays the most.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope we don't see the freshman nailed to the bench game after game. I know Geno's mantra about earning game time in practice, but minutes at the end of a laugher should not need to much earning, affording the coaches to see the kids in game time. Who knows, they just might see things that will give them opportunities to be more effective coaches in practice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(tho Caroline may need a helmet since her head seems to be a magnet for elbows and other body parts).
Basketball helmet? Seems like a good idea. I'm sure everyone will be wearing them soon.

1683503768965.png

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here also:

The Nika nay sayers miss one crucial, important point, Geno and his staff believe Nika makes his team better with her at the Point Guard position, so Nika will start at PG her senior season!
Following up on this post, Nika has started 70 of the 92 college games she has played. After a stellar junior season, why do people keep insisting that she'll come off the bench? Caroline has started 16 out of 54 games. Why do people think this trend will reverse?

Aubrey is best utilized coming off the bench with her dynamic defensive style and Caroline can serve the team best if there is a need for offense.

The women's game is seeing bigger & taller front courts and I would expect Brady to get the starting nod at the 5, if for no other reason to get her seasoned for the end of the year.

Lastly, the high/low post exchange between Dorka & Aaliyah worked well for the majority of the season, so why not incorporate more of the same. Spacing should improve if there is healthy Paige and Azzi shooting the lights out from anywhere on the court.

Reaction Score
seems to be a double standard for nika.

you acknowledge her great defensive presence and her immense offensive contribution to the team (via assists), but you think these virtues possibly won't be enough to keep her as the starter. well, we shall see. it is possible she fills out the team rather than leads the team. i don't know what it will be either.

but her troubling faults, you say, are her inconsistent shooting and the number of turnovers!

golly gee, who on the team does not suffer from inconsistent shooting? last year, i'd only pitch lou as virtuous. however, many BY favs at times have had a horrendous time making shots ... while not, btw, excelling on defense nor be being keys to team offense.

and turnovers? if high in number, then remember that nika makes a boatload of decisions and passes and not all of them will be stellar -- and not all resulting turnovers are her fault, though they are assessed against her. indeed, nika's t/o ratio is outstanding, especially for a point guard.

i think your reasoning re: nika is not justified by the facts.

this is the sort of thing that leads some to believe there is an anti-nika cabal on the BY. :eek: and now, countered a rabid fan club.

I've been a Muhl fan since she arrived, even last summer when some doubted her ability to lead the team after Bueckers was injured. But I became a Bueckers fan in the summer before her third year in high school. She ran Hopkins like a master conductor. I think about six players on that team are on P5 scholarships. Her coach moaned that she didn't shoot enough. But Hopkins didn't lose a game in her last 2 seasons. With seniors ONO Westbrook and Williams gone UConn was hers to run this past season. No deferring to the seniors. Geno says that with her running the floor he can just sit and watch. To me putting her anywhere but pg would be like asking Picasso to paint the floor of the Sistine Chapel instead of the ceiling.
It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my admiration of what Muhl brings to the game.

Reaction Score
When UConn plays any competitor with decent size I don't see Aaliyah being the starting post player without help from one of Amari, Ayanna, Ice or Jana.........I think it's going to be a lot of fun watching them all compete for playing time.....we can only hope that it's competition and not injuries that determines who plays the most.....
What little I have seen of Jana she doesn’t appear to be a low post type of player. I’m still not convinced that Amari will make big strides over the summer and Paterson is a big body rebounder, but struggles offensively, so I’m really hoping that ice steps up. and plays above her youth. I still believe an experienced big from the portal would’ve benefited Connecticut greatly. Grad transfer to give the youngsters time to grow Without taking away a position for numerous years.

Reaction Score
What little I have seen of Jana she doesn’t appear to be a low post type of player. I’m still not convinced that Amari will make big strides over the summer and Paterson is a big body rebounder, but struggles offensively, so I’m really hoping that ice steps up. and plays above her youth. I still believe an experienced big from the portal would’ve benefited Connecticut greatly. Grad transfer to give the youngsters time to grow Without taking away a position for numerous years.
There weren’t many though that would have been a good match with what we currently have.

Reaction Score

I'm confident that a healthy Brady is better than any of the grad transfers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My hope is for UConn to produce two effective teams — the starter, and the reserves who have impactful minutes when they’re in the games. Prayers, prayers, prayers!!
This is the model that the WNBA uses. You have the starters, then the second team. The second team/units on most teams get their share of minutes. No coach wants to burn his/her starters out playing them 35+ minutes a game.

Reaction Score
I hope we don't see the freshman nailed to the bench game after game. I know Geno's mantra about earning game time in practice, but minutes at the end of a laugher should not need to much earning, affording the coaches to see the kids in game time. Who knows, they just might see things that will give them opportunities to be more effective coaches in practice.
Good luck with that dream! While I agree with the thought, there is no way Geno is changing his behavior. If there was ever a time for him to do so, it was last year with Amari and it did not happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom