We can not close the deal with recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We can not close the deal with recruits

Reaction Score
We. Have. To. Win. This. Year.

Yea.

If recruits are confident they'll be relevant all year and playing in the tournament, the conference doesn't matter as much. If they aren't confident about that the conference does matter a lot.

I think a good season turns things around for us quickly, but it doesn't look like it will be any easier once Jalen is gone, so it has to be now.

Reaction Score
Like I said before, no big recruit is going to uconn under the current coaching regime until it shows it can win. Uconn has definitely lost some luster in the name. If we don't make the tourney this year ,which looks like it will be near impossible unless Jalen has a monster year, he should be shown the door.

At least we know the administration won't wait for us to fall of the cliff. This past receuiting class is embarrasing bad compared to ghr past. If Ollie doesn't make the tourney this year he is gone.

Rutgers hasn't been to the NCAA tournament since 1991 and St. John's has sucked pond water for a decade, so the 'we have to win first' angle is too played out.

Winning has nothing to do with this. 2 parents decided another school/coach whom have done nothing in college basketball is a better place for their sons.

Reaction Score
Forget the NCAA. Wagner. Northeastern. You want kids to come here. Beat them.

Reaction Score
But we fixed the gampel roof!!!!

I hate to beat the dead horse, but the worst thing Uconn could have done was be reactive in conference realignment when the ships were sailing to greener pastures.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hardly. There have to be plenty of better options out there at $3m per year.

Ollie got his permanent contract when we were on a Big East TV deal.

How is it you think we will get a better option given how much less money we are making in this conference, the Big East payout dwindling down, and a substantial buyout looming over the AD's head?

Reaction Score
Ollie lost his mojo when divorced, and the injuries last year were the nail in the coffee. Need an almost miracle season.
Not sure Ollie ever had the Mojo, really.
As I wrote somewhere else, it's felt to me for some time that Shabazz took the Mojo with him when he left.

The fact is, the original argument made by other teams' fans - that Ollie only won with Calhoun's guys - is looking more true by the year.

Under Ollie, after the N.C. - Ollie was Recruiting just fine. What was lacking was the Development of players. Then, a few years later, their Retention/Willingness to Play. Those are the Holy Trinity of coaching. You can get by not being a great Xs and Os guy - many examples of that. But you've got to have the three.

Now, unfortunately, the third of that Holy Trinity is also gone. Ollie has always had questionable development skills. Brimah is exhibit 1. The Willingness to Play has always been suspect, and now the Retention is garbage. If he can't recruit, then there's nothing left. Nothing.

If the kids this year play for him like they did in the ban year, then I say keep him another year, regardless. If they fold and quit like they have been the last two seasons - I'd fire him on the day we are eliminated from NCAA play, even if that's before the NIT. Gotta start fresh.

Reaction Score
1 crappy few seasons
2 lack of nba development since ollie took over (i understand there are a few guys
3 conference
4 huge number of kids transferring
5 ollie is not the fatherly coach we developed our program on
6 serious negative recruiting

These are the few things my contacts have said why uconn is losing recruits

Which is exactly what people have been saying on here and getting ridiculed for.

Reaction Score

How is it you think we will get a better option given how much less money we are making in this conference, the Big East payout dwindling down, and a substantial buyout looming over the AD's head?

You keep defending Ollie while the hole he has dug gets deeper. Sounds like a great plan.

Reaction Score
Im all for coaching change if it's needed. But remember you have to replace the man with someone better that wants to be here. Given Ollies contract I don't see us moving on. The biggest problem is development of NBA players. We used to be a factory now not so more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Which is exactly what people have been saying on here and getting ridiculed for.
It's a narrative. Perception is reality. I have no idea what the truth is and I am certain that at least 90% of the people weighing in here don't, either. But the more it is repeated, the more traction it gains--true or not. We sit here and over-analyze every piece of social media uttered about these kids and their parents and we don't think they come here to check on the pulse of the program?

I am not saying that our conference, our recent performance and our transfers are not significant obstacles, but even a casual observer here would observe that we are contributing to the toxic stink on this program.

Reaction Score
A few of these factors seem very irrelevant when looking at the schools we have lost out to recently.

Yes yes and yes. These "contacts" that these "sources" have are an absolute joke. And honestly so are th sources. We're losing to Rutgers, St. John's....transfers to lesser schools too. Should NOT be happening. No excuse. Conference, down years etc. we lose a recruit to a Kansas, UNC, UK etc that's one thing..........these schools? It's ALL on Ollie. Just not cutting it.

Reaction Score

Are you still smelling the Ollie is forever salt? With these results we've been seeing? Man....

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Coaching UConn basketball and being the highest paid state employee is a result driven job. Not a right. Simply put, the results aren't there. The longer we have faith, the deeper the hole we are digging.
Some of us were ready to ditch him a season or two ago.

Reaction Score
Im all for coaching change if it's needed. But remember you have to replace the man with someone better that wants to be here. Given Ollies contract I don't see us moving on. The biggest problem is development of NBA players. We used to be a factory now not so more.
Don't worry about the contract. I think the current Administration is not scared of getting rid of coaches with big contracts, Diaco. You really think they are so shortsighted to let the program sink into oblivion? If KO has a year where he doesn't make the NCAA tourney I'm sure we won't be worried about how much KO is making. I have lost faith in him but still have hope that maybe JA can save his job with a great year. JA will have to have a breakout season and carry the team if we hope to make the tourney.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You keep defending Ollie while the hole he has dug gets deeper. Sounds like a great plan.
Are you still smelling the Ollie is forever salt? With these results we've been seeing? Man....

Nice strawman arguments. I don't think Ollie should be kept if this season goes poorly. I'm just disputing the notion that there are tons of better options that are attainable to a schoo in our situation.

Bottom line, the next coach will not be the savior you think he will be. So buckle in for a bumpy ride.

Reaction Score
Wagner. Northeastern,

Until those are in the rear view mirror, they will be used by every coach coach who recruits our prospects.

And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Reaction Score
Nice strawman arguments. I don't think Ollie should be kept if this season goes poorly. I'm just disputing the notion that there are tons of better options that are attainable to a schoo in our situation.

Bottom line, the next coach will not be the savior you think he will be. So buckle in for a bumpy ride.

Trust me, I've been buckled in, preparing for an unparalleled UMass rivalry annually as our top OOC game. I sense your cheerleading running thin. Good. We are NOT in good shape as a program. We haven't been for 3 years now.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Wow what a downer. This guy is a terrible fan, what kind of outlook is that on our favorite team?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Wagner. Northeastern,

Until those are in the rear view mirror, they will be used by every coach coach who recruits our prospects.

And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Yes, I'm sure that's why Chris Mullin, who lost to Delaware State and LIU Brooklyn, beat us for a recruit this past spring.

Losing to Northeastern sure kept Tom Izzo from keeping a 5-star PF in the fold.

You've made the exact same post three times tonight. Go take your meds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom