We can not close the deal with recruits | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We can not close the deal with recruits

Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say at this point that this season is CRITICAL for many reasons. Without some success on the court I don't see how Ollie survives. The program is teetering right now.
Lol, it was teetering last year mid season. It's already crashed, I don't think Ollie lasts through the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
MAL committed and Ollie stopped recruiting him, which he has done with a bunch of other recruits. With the kind of season we were having and the stink that's all over Ollie, he was basically begging MAL to find another school.
MAL signed an NLI with UConn, meaning if UConn wasn't recruiting him then nobody was recruiting him, per NCAA rules. The point of the NLI is so that schools can divert their major efforts elsewhere. If you want to continue to be aggressively recruited, don't sign an NLI.

Reaction Score
MAL signed an NLI with UConn, meaning if UConn wasn't recruiting him then nobody was recruiting him, per NCAA rules. The point of the NLI is so that schools can divert their major efforts elsewhere. If you want to continue to be aggressively recruited, don't sign an NLI.

Problem is they did and do recruit after NLI signings

Reaction Score
MAL committed and Ollie stopped recruiting him, which he has done with a bunch of other recruits. With the kind of season we were having and the stink that's all over Ollie, he was basically begging MAL to find another school.
this is the same crap that u n a few posters repeat. The UCONN staff including Ollie was up in Brewster all the time checking in on Wilson n MAL. They were there 3 deep at hoophall. No Makai did not plays 20 games in CT last yr. I have never seen so many wrong info coming out of a board. Yes, kevin need to improve but making up stuff n have the same 8 poster repeating the BS as facts are not going to help either. BTW, Jason Smith loves Ollie n Chilli

Reaction Score
this is the same crap that u n a few posters repeat. The UCONN staff including Ollie was up in Brewster all the time checking in on Wilson n MAL. They were there 3 deep at hoophall. No Makai did not plays 20 games in CT last yr. I have never seen so many wrong info coming out of a board. Yes, kevin need to improve but making up stuff n have the same 8 poster repeating the BS as facts are not going to help either. BTW, Jason Smith loves Ollie n Chilli

MAL himself said that he felt he wasn't being recruited anymore by anyone but Glen Miller.

Maybe the kids needs a timely reality check, but the info isn't just made up, hoss.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying the car doesn't need to be fixed, but the fixes aren't going to eliminate all of the car's problems.

If the mechanic can't correct all the problems so that the car performs as you would like it perform then you pony up and buy a new car. Simplistic maybe, but you either bite the bullet and get a new car/coach or settle for whatever the mechanic can do with short term repairs and fixes and live with a car/program that doesn't perform as you'd like it to perform. Depends upon your expectations.

Reaction Score
If the mechanic can't correct all the problems so that the car performs as you would like it perform then you pony up and buy a new car. Simplistic maybe, but you either bite the bullet and get a new car/coach or settle for whatever the mechanic can do with short term repairs and fixes and live with a car/program that doesn't perform as you'd like it to perform. Depends upon your expectations.

Id say our situation is more like we may need a new mechanic (ollie). But the road were on is pretty bumpy bumpy with or with out him (aac).

Reaction Score
Recruiting will improve if we have a good year without any transfers. As far as Mathis is concerned, we may already have players better than him.

Reaction Score
Give me one good reason why you believe in Kevin Ollie. Secondly, that faith is so strong that you are willing to give him one year? This doesn't add up.

There's really only 1 reason I need to have faith in KO for this year, he's UConn's HC and I want UConn to be successful. I'll support him until the day he's no longer coach.

Now if you want to talk about people who actually have control over this like Benedict that's a different story, but there's no reason for a fan to not fully support KO this year

Reaction Score

Thank you because your info seems so much more credible than the obvious assumption they stopped recruiting MAL. Ridiculous stuff about a recruit who was less than loyal and more than likely afraid of very little plying time, all because we lost a Top 90 kid. MAL will be discussed yet again when we lose another guard just because that's the way these guys roll.

Reaction Score
There's really only 1 reason I need to have faith in KO for this year, he's UConn's HC and I want UConn to be successful. I'll support him until the day he's no longer coach.

Now if you want to talk about people who actually have control over this like Benedict that's a different story, but there's no reason for a fan to not fully support KO this year

Pretty much spot on navery. But some won't be happy doing that it's obvious from tones. They'd prefer to be correct in their predictions and desires.

Reaction Score
If RU made a strong late push what the hell was the UCONN staff doing? Christ you have to push to keep kids excited and not allow for doubt to creep in so they commit and you have to push to keep kids committed and exited after they sign as well.

It's like the worst relationship cultivation and management I've ever witnessed.

Almost mind boggling bad.

Success is rented and rent is due daily. It looks like Chili missed some rent payments IMO.

Reaction Score
Something certainly seems to be going on here but I don't buy this particular narrative.

I follow the recruiting posts pretty religiously and I saw plenty of posts last year about us going to see Sid Wilson. Which of course meant we were also going to see MAL.

I really think the MAL decommit was as much about realizing that AG was going to be in his class as anything else, with the Miller exit a good excuse.

Again, not saying nothing's wrong, just saying I doubt MAL's decommit was because KO didn't send him flowers.
Yep, that's it. MAL commits to UConn knowing Alterique is in the backcourt then decides a year later he doesn't want to play here because Alterique is in the backcourt. It's amazing people still don't want to face what's right in front of them.

Reaction Score
Remember when we thought Ollie would slay it with kids parents as soon as he stepped in a recruits homes and that other schools wouldn't stand a chance?
Yeah...about that...
He hasn't been connecting with the parents for a while.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So much whistling past the graveyard.

So, so much.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
KO and company needs to seriously just land that one kid that makes all of this go away. And win.basically do his job.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lmao at this notion that we need to start winning again in order to get recruits.

Rutgers basketball is the least successful program that has ever been associated with the Big East.

It's not that.

For what reason KO and staff are toxic right now.

We've all heard the rumors as to why but if KO doesn't get a good class going and doesn't win. He's gone.

Nobody is saying a Jim Calhoun is ever coming through that door but with our programs history and what we are paying, we should demand better results and not cower at the idea that nobody else is out there that can be successful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KO and company needs to seriously just land that one kid that makes all of this go away. And win.basically do his job.
How do you make a million dollars and not pay taxes? First, make a million dollars...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You really have to wonder what in the blue hell happens in the last few days of these recruiting wars.

They just cannot seem to get a kid to yes.

It's really odd. If things just looked awful from the start, you'd think these kids would never have any interest in coming here. But we keep hearing time and time again that these kids are in love with the program, and there's a lot of positive UConn buzz, just to have it all disappear days before they commit somewhere else. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Reaction Score
Lmao at this notion that we need to start winning again in order to get recruits.

Rutgers basketball is the least successful program that has ever been associated with the Big East.

It's not that.

We've all heard the rumors as to why but if KO doesn't get a good class going and doesn't win. He's gone.

Nobody is saying a Jim Calhoun is ever coming through that door but with our programs history and what we are paying, we should demand better results and not cower at the idea that nobody else is out there that can be successful.

This is the issue....don't know why, it just is. We're getting marginal recruits at best and losing decent recruits to programs that are clearly below us. Blame the conference if you want, but the product we have put out on the floor the last few years is clearly representative of a program in decline. I think it's probably too late to get rid of KO at this point, but look at what Ohio St did. One of the big reasons their AD gave for letting Matta go is that recruiting was suffering. Recruiting is the life blood for sustained success. And right now we need a transfusion.....a massive transfusion. My belief is that the only way we'll turn it around is with success on the court and having UConn be relevant on the national stage again. Or, an influx of new blood. Hell, say what you want about Rutgers awful hoops history, but Pikiell has already brought in a couple of recruits that they don't normally get.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom