We are Flawed | Page 10 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
We’ve been running the same offensive sets since November 1st.
and Calhoun and Ollie didnt run the same offense? Its by design. And we certainly didnt lose last night because of the offensive sets we ran.

Reaction Score
The play is definitely off. Sanogo had Clingan open a few times on a mismatch, he chose to fling it across court to either a turnover or a player taking a contested. Missed layups, slow to get to spots defensively. This team is now seeing the difference in the teams they beat and their conference competition. I think they’ll adjust but it’s now at a point where the minutes need to go to those who are playing with effort and can provide a consistent lift. This year isn’t over yet and we will be fine, but the guards we need to make a serious run may not be on the roster. However, there is the talent to win it all if they can find that rythmn as a unit.

Reaction Score
Observations:
-I'm good on Diarra, just doesn't really offer anything unique that other players can provide, and those other players can actually score. Being the 'energy guy' only goes so-far against good teams.
-I'm excited for Samson to come back. Karaban really got exposed defensively last night, although it was a very tough matchup. Most of the fouls called on him were legit/Hopkins is a stud, but AK looked defeated on defense.
-We have a fouling problem. 343rd in the country in FTA/FGA per KenPom. Providence's offense is predicated on getting to the free-throw line, it was a bad matchup from the start.
-We really need Alleyne to find himself. Where is the guy that routinely shot 40% from 3 at Virginia Tech? If we only have 1 or 2 respectable 3-point shooters (while Joey C only plays 9 minutes per game), we're going to run into some problems.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We’ve been running the same offensive sets since November 1st.
And I’m not even really talking about the offense. It’s our defense with Karaban and then our defense as a whole.

Reaction Score
Every team has its flaws. How do you hide them or compensate for them is the question? To my eye..
We are getting out-toughed.. out-hustled.. out-worked. In our two recent losses.. Those teams imposed their will on us.. worked the refs.. and dictated play to our weaknesses. . In the BE..You have to "hold serve " at home and win those games to be a contender.. Feast on the weaker teams/grab a few Ws on away games with the stronger and mid-level teams. We have lost to two of the strongest teams in the BE on their home courts playing our "C" game. Should not have been totally unexpected.

Greg and Shaka know what they need to do to beat us --if they can.. If I was Hurley (Captain Obvious here) I would not expect any favors from the refs.. Got to win games through coaching and player performance.. Stop whining and play BE BB.. Tough/intense/win 50/50 balls/boards. Friars had 5 guys hitting the boards in most sequences last night.

The Yard does a great job of breaking down our deficiencies.. And we have them.. I'll be happy with a 3-2 record going through this 5 game stretch and looking at some winnable games after that to get things back on track.

All that matters is the next game..

Reaction Score
Your other posts are consistent with this overall view. I find that helpful, and the downvotes your comment received showed a similar clarity.
just don't like his style, same with the other Hurley at Arizona State. I feel they let their emotions get the best of them and distracts from the team. Yea you can show fire, but at some point let it be about the kids not you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is this the guy that posted Hurley got in a fight with providence fans?
@socal613ws, was that you? Or did you post that it was a fake tweet in criticism of someone else posting that? Or was it both?

I'm confused on this, but not willing to look it up. It'll blow over or blow up in size, depending on how real and how big a deal it is.

One way or another, it's worth noting that not everybody who posts here is a friend of the program, and some take delight in provoking internal squabbles, dissension, and misunderstanding among and between those who do want the best.

And who knows more of BOTH the good and bad than those most intimate? We've already seen a lot to like and dislike.

After 2 consecutive losses, it's a combustible mess here, and 2 more challenging games are on tap.

Buckle up, and remember that the transition from 2010 to 2011 had similar notes that extended through a 9-9 Big East record, with a 5-5 away record and 4 losses at home.

My wish is that coaches, players, and fans make healthy adjustments. Go Huskies...

"Fighting with a true love is boxing with no gloves."

- T Swift

Reaction Score
I thought we were onto something when AJax cruised to that ferocious slam, thinking that would be available as long as Sanogo was triple teamed. But never saw it again. Not sure why.

100% - I thought “well that’s exactly what this team needs someone to drive hard to the rim” then it went away as quickly as it came.

Reaction Score
I know the Dre lovers aren’t going to like this take but here goes… after seeing Andre jawing with Croswell and his late-game decision making the last few games, I’ve come to the solid conclusion that his close relationship with Hurley has led him to take on Hurley’s persona: can’t always control his emotions and oftentimes makes poor decisions, particularly in late game situations. Yeah yeah… he brings so much to the table. I get it. But he doesn’t play a heady or controlled game at crucial times. Those brick threes early in the second half kept us from building any momentum.
I believe you're making a good point here that gets passed over. Andre is a team leader on the court. He does a lot of good things, but he does lose control of his emotions at some critical times in games.

Here is my unorganized stream of consciousness on last night's game: The bottom line is that despite being a close game in the first half, the Providence players and coaches outplayed and outcoached our guys. Off nights happen, more often on away courts. I give DH credit for finally playing Sanogo and Clingan together, but that wasn't enough. Providence beat our guys on the their very favorable home court last night. The home team usually gets the calls from the refs. Their best player had a showcase game which, unfortunately, has happened more often than we would like. Other Providence players had some luck as well with some 3-point shots that went in. Floyd had one in the first half and another guard had one in the second. That's a 6-point swing that gave them confidence. In the second half, Providence players made the effort to get rebounds and extend possessions (and opportunities to score). None of our players had a good game. Clingan probably played the best to his capabilities and I suspect that he would say that he didn't have a good game either. Last night, our players' effort was not sustained long enough into the second half to win the game. We didn't get enough rebounds, loose balls or second chance points. They need to play hard and bounce back. Hurley has said that solid defense will be the mantra of this team to help carry them on off nights. It's time to ratchet back up the defense, playing hard, but also smart, avoiding the frustration fouls. This is where Andre has a big impact.

Reaction Score
Because you know Samson can guard them? Name one thing you have seen Samson do on the court ever.
Well we certainly know Karaban can’t. And Samson has tools that Karaban doesn’t have on that side of the ball, so it’s certainly possible.

Reaction Score
Well we certainly know Karaban can’t. And Samson has tools that Karaban doesn’t have on that side of the ball, so it’s certainly possible.
Really? Like the tools he showed against Stonehill: fouling?

Reaction Score
Really? Like the tools he showed against Stonehill: fouling?
No, tools as in tools. Like athleticism, length and quickness.

Every big on our team fouls a good amount. Really no point to bring up the first game of the year when everyone was figuring things out.

Reaction Score
No, tools as in tools. Like athleticism, length and quickness.

Every big on our team fouls a good amount. Really no point to bring up the first game of the year when everyone was figuring things out.
From what I saw, he was either fouling or lost in a daze while he was on the court.

Reaction Score
Picking one game for any player and using that as the basis of your argument is silly.
Where else have we seen him play... Garbage time last year? Seriously, he is nothing but a hope and a prayer at this critical point in the season.

Reaction Score
Where else have we seen him play... Garbage time last year? Seriously, he is nothing but a hope and a prayer at this critical point in the season.
Your argument to someone who said he has great physical tools was that he fouled too much against stone hill. I guess you meant to make a different point

Reaction Score
Ever think of following professional bowling? Bowling takes much less observation and is much easier to follow than basketball. Basketball like any action sport involves emotions. Bowling requires very limited emotions such as a smile or pump of the fist. Dre gets pumped and sometimes (far from “often”) gets overly excited, but he will learn to control the technicals to just a few here and then. I don’t get every game being so critical this time of the year that there is no time for growth. Anyway, I just love this team and flaws are just character enhancements to make the viewer stay put on the edge of his or her seat.

Reaction Score
Ever think of following professional bowling? Bowling takes much less observation and is much easier to follow than basketball. Basketball like any action sport involves emotions. Bowling requires very limited emotions such as a smile or pump of the fist. Dre gets pumped and sometimes (far from “often”) gets overly excited, but he will learn to control the technicals to just a few here and then. I don’t get every game being so critical this time of the year that there is no time for growth. Anyway, I just love this team and flaws are just character enhancements to make the viewer stay put on the edge of his or her seat.
And your point is?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
We are flawed. You need good guard play come March. This team was built inside out, around Adama and as much as in love the dude, we have been exposed that if you take him out we have no one else who can create a shot on their own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom