We are Flawed | Page 6 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
We don’t seem to have a killer instinct that wins close games on the road. We play tight. Love this team. Still have high expectations, but we don’t have it… yet.
Hurley is wound so tight it rubs off on the players. If Huskies, which are an excellent but not perfect team, don't make a deep run my guess is Hurley will be the reason. He needs to see a sports psychologist to at least appear somewhat calm in the face of the storm. Maybe he will grow up, maybe not

Reaction Score
I don’t know how big the sample size needs to be that Karaban can’t guard these type of players.

It’s insane
But, who on UConn can? I’m not sure Jackson can do it either. They maybe should work on doubling on the 4’s who are trying to isolate and go strong to hoop. Would some type of zone defense help? It looks like there is a lot of room for the other team’s players to drive.

Reaction Score
I know you gotta fire off the takes right now so logic is out the door, but we literally beat Villanova a week ago with Hurley coaching
I meant against Wright. Neptune is a first year coach and they are missing their best player. This is a down year for them talent wise.

Reaction Score
I know you gotta fire off the takes right now so logic is out the door, but we literally beat Villanova a week ago with Hurley coaching
You realize Nova’s Hall of Fame coach retired last year right?

Reaction Score
I'm ready for the overreactions on the 'yard.

We made adjustments on offense today, just couldn't hit shots. We got Clingan his minutes which was a BIG step in the right direction.

Defensively, I don't understand the lack of adjustment on guys that are going off on us. Hurley's done this for 5 years and hasn't gotten better at it. It was obvious since before tip-off that Karaban was going to get smoked by Hopkins. You can't throw your talented freshman in the fire like that and kill their confidence. Jackson needed to be on him as soon as he started going off.
100% agree

Reaction Score
Hurley got thrown out of the game for what Cooley did tonight. It was BS. And everyone knew it was BS
I agree it was BS. The ref made the 100% wrong call. But to immediately try to pump up the crowd after getting a T was a dumb move. Everyone knows that

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You don’t continue to play Ajax there because he is in foul trouble. And he abused Sanogo. You’ll see it when you actually watch the game.
I did. And Karaban is an absolute liability.

Reaction Score
The issue is that is Jackson was parked on the bench for 16 minutes of the 1st half with 2 fouls while Hopkins was going off
But UConn lost the game in the 2nd half when Jackson was playing. So many 50-50 balls went to Providence too.

Reaction Score
We don’t have a gritty PG that can shoot. And our coach is running the exact same offensive sets/gameplan since Game 1.

Any coach with a brain can shut it down w/ enough tape. Hell, even Patrick Ewing almost did.
I’m thinking we have overperformed for being unranked but not too much and I think the big east is terribly under rated as a whole. Providence is a UConn killer when we’re ranked in the top 5 apparently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The foul trouble changed the entire defensive game plan. Even when Jackson was back in, couldn’t risk the fouls against Hopkins and we clearly had no good answer there. Samson can’t get back soon enough.
Hope he won’t get 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes again.

Reaction Score
I agree it was BS. The ref made the 100% wrong call. But to immediately try to pump up the crowd after getting a T was a dumb move. Everyone knows that
No it wasn’t dumb. No one would expect him to get tossed for that. And if you know it was BS why use it to poo on him? You’re reaching for negatives. Kimani finished the job against jay wright with Hurleys game plan. And if you don’t think the halftime adjustments came from Hurley you’re delusional.

Reaction Score
Hurley said pregame Hopkins was going to be a tough matchup for Karaban, which everyone knew would be a mismatch and then he stuck to that matchup for most of the game and let him drop 27. I don’t get it.
Tried sanogo. And Jax. No Samson.

Reaction Score
There is a bigger issue at hand in regards to making in game adjustments and that falls solely on Hurley’s stubbornness. We watched that kid from New Mexico State go for 30 last year and Hurley didn’t even consider sending a double team, going zone, or putting a different body on him. Tonight was another reminder of this. After Hopkins scored his first 20 it was time to start doubling him and make someone else beat us. Hurley sat back and watched as if he thought Karaban was all of a sudden magically going to stop him. I love Hurley’s tenacity and recruiting but he definitely lacks the in game adjustments that separate the good coaches from the great ones.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Our defense at the 4 has been absolutely exposed.
It's not just at the 4. Our guards have a tough time keeping dribblers out of the lane. Newton and Diarra can do it one v one, but when they come around screens our D breaks down.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to hear it anymore. That’s on the coach. They are fouling. They are getting petty ones and aren’t doing anything different.

This is on the coach. We just watched the SAME type of play they gave us at Xavier, arguably WORSE.

This team has issues and it starts with the coach.
I live Donny Marshall saying this is the big east at the end if the game. If so providence would have had 20 fts.

Reaction Score
Once RJ Cole decided to past this year that option went out the door it seems.

Cole wasn't that guy either. Unless you mean to just feed Clingan. He could've maybe done that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom