We are Flawed | Page 7 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
No it wasn’t dumb. No one would expect him to get tossed for that. And if you know it was BS why use it to poo on him? You’re reaching for negatives. Kimani finished the job against jay wright with Hurleys game plan. And if you don’t think the halftime adjustments came from Hurley you’re delusional.
It was dumb because it gave the ref the opportunity to do exactly what he did. It was the wrong decision to do what he did in that situation.

And the coach not being out there us a big factor. There are more adjustments that need to be made on the fly. Not just half time adjustments.

Reaction Score
It was dumb because it gave the ref the opportunity to do exactly what he did. It was the wrong decision to do what he did in that situation.

And the coach not being out there us a big factor. There are more adjustments that need to be made on the fly. Not just half time adjustments.
It gave the ref the opportunity to make an egregious decision? Sure. If Hurley was dumb then Cooley was dumb to do it tonight as well.

And again Kimani deserves some credit. But to use that game as a referendum on Hurley when it was his game plan that Kimani followed is weird

Reaction Score
Cole wasn't that guy either. Unless you mean to just feed Clingan. He could've maybe done that.
He knew how to draw fouls and was our best and only offensive threat at the end of last year. People want to talk about how small he was and how he got manhandled by bigger guards but he was also a first team BIg East player. That is way more than we can say of any the guards on this team including Hawkins who I like. At least we are getting a good one next year in Castle.

Reaction Score
He knew how to draw fouls and was our best and only offensive threat at the end of last year. People want to talk about how small he was and how he got manhandled by bigger guards but he was also a first team BIg East player. That is way more than we can say of any the guards on this team including Hawkins who I like. At least we are getting a good one next year in Castle.

Bro - I would never question RJ's heart. I'm only saying he's not the level of PG that UConn's had in the past where we run the table.

Reaction Score
It gave the ref the opportunity to make an egregious decision? Sure. If Hurley was dumb then Cooley was dumb to do it tonight as well.

And again Kimani deserves some credit. But to use that game as a referendum on Hurley when it was his game plan that Kimani followed is weird
I’m not using it as a referendum. I haven’t said I want Hurley gone by any stretch of the imagination.

I stated he gets outcoached by the quality teams. It’s an assessment backed up by history. We haven’t beaten Creighton. Hurley has like a 20% win percentage against Cooley, and Nova has had our number as well. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat, and struggle mightily against the rest in the BE.

Reaction Score
Miss layup after layup when in traffic... Apparantly afraid or unwilling to dunk it?

Reaction Score

Cooley has earned the refs respect over the past 12 years in the NBE. Hurley hasn't done that yet. It ain't right... but it's the truth.

Reaction Score
Or how to motivate his team for the big games. I hate Cooley and the ball his team plays but he gets them up for the big games. He was definitely touting UCONN as this great team to motivate his club and it showed on the court. Have to question what Hurley is doing with the team besides complaining. He definitely seems perplexed with how to generate offense on the court.
Once he gets his guys…….

Reaction Score
Don’t sit one of your leaders for 16 minutes on the road when you have a chance to build a lead. With as much depth as we have we sure don’t like to use it to our benefit

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of really good coaches in the big east, and they’re catching on very early on the strategy that beats UConn. We will face a really tough game in every game minus maybe DePaul, SJU, and GTown.

Main question is will we make the necessary adjustments to win the other games? Or run the same strategy every play and hope the results change, even if games are starting to slip away in the second half?

Maybe we aren’t the best team in the country. Hell, maybe we’re a 10-15 or 15-20 ranked team that just overperformed early. Who knows and who cares? We have the talent to hang with anybody, we just need to adjust to the teams we’re playing and force them to play our game instead of the other way around

Reaction Score
We need a killer guard who can take you off the dribble, drive, and create his own shot...ala Kemba, Bazz, Boat etc...

Our last 2 championship teams were lucky enough to have 2 of those each.

Teams now know to just chase our shooters around, get up in their face and to not let them have an easy shot (no need to worry about them driving past you).

I don't see how this can be fixed this year
Hurley can focus on developing aggressive offensive skills, have the team practice 1 on 1 moves, show them how to clear space so players who can beat their defender have a lane to the hoop, practice once you beat your opponent and are going to the hoop how to draw contact to get to the line. I think these things can be taught and practiced. Hurley also needs to learn and teach better offensive sets and plays. Clingan is doing great but hopefully will learn how to carve out space and maintain it better too. He is a game changer.

Reaction Score
There is a bigger issue at hand in regards to making in game adjustments and that falls solely on Hurley’s stubbornness. We watched that kid from New Mexico State go for 30 last year and Hurley didn’t even consider sending a double team, going zone, or putting a different body on him. Tonight was another reminder of this. After Hopkins scored his first 20 it was time to start doubling him and make someone else beat us. Hurley sat back and watched as if he thought Karaban was all of a sudden magically going to stop him. I love Hurley’s tenacity and recruiting but he definitely lacks the in game adjustments that separate the good coaches from the great ones.
All his points were from the stripe so not sure what doubling would have done. I don’t look at everything thing on the refs but combine home cooking and a guy who is really good at drawing fouls and your cooked. I really think those 2 early fouls changed the game when our leader Dre rode pine.

Reaction Score
I’m not using it as a referendum. I haven’t said I want Hurley gone by any stretch of the imagination.

I stated he gets outcoached by the quality teams. It’s an assessment backed up by history. We haven’t beaten Creighton. Hurley has like a 20% win percentage against Cooley, and Nova has had our number as well. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat, and struggle mightily against the rest in the BE.
Marquette, Xavier, Seton Hall are not teams in the past that fall under “should” beat. We’ve beaten good teams and been a top 3-4 BE team since we’ve been in the conference. Wright and McDermott has had everyone’s number. He’s also beaten multiple high level coaches outside of Big East play.

You can’t lump every loss into the Hurley being outcoached category. It’s lazy. A couple of those early Creighton and Nova losses were just them being better than us.

Reaction Score
top recruits let this team down, again I've never been a believer in Hurley. I expect another 1st or 2nd rd exit in tournament

Reaction Score
top recruits let this team down, again I've never been a believer in Hurley. I expect another 1st or 2nd rd exit in tournament
Hey! Welcome to the boneyard

Reaction Score
Hey! Welcome to the boneyard
thanks, I mostly post in women's forum but I been here for almost 10 years. I used to post more when Kemba Shabazz Giffey teams were here, I still did around 2015-17 but it was kind of depressing post Boatright so I stopped for a bit.

Reaction Score
I know the Dre lovers aren’t going to like this take but here goes… after seeing Andre jawing with Croswell and his late-game decision making the last few games, I’ve come to the solid conclusion that his close relationship with Hurley has led him to take on Hurley’s persona: can’t always control his emotions and oftentimes makes poor decisions, particularly in late game situations. Yeah yeah… he brings so much to the table. I get it. But he doesn’t play a heady or controlled game at crucial times. Those brick threes early in the second half kept us from building any momentum.

Reaction Score
Marquette, Xavier, Seton Hall are not teams in the past that fall under “should” beat. We’ve beaten good teams and been a top 3-4 BE team since we’ve been in the conference. Wright and McDermott has had everyone’s number. He’s also beaten multiple high level coaches outside of Big East play.

You can’t lump every loss into the Hurley being outcoached category. It’s lazy. A couple of those early Creighton and Nova losses were just them being better than us.
It’s not all on him being outcoached for sure. But that plays a big role. Karaban simply can’t match up on these guys, yet he always does. Clingan needs to play more. We need to run a more versatile offense, Hawkins shouldn’t be the only one working hard.

The players are fully a part of the issue too. We haven’t had slashing guards for years. We need to recruit for guys who can actually break someone down off the dribble.

Reaction Score
It’s not all on him being outcoached for sure. But that plays a big role. Karaban simply can’t match up on these guys, yet he always does. Clingan needs to play more. We need to run a more versatile offense, Hawkins shouldn’t be the only one working hard.

The players are fully a part of the issue too. We haven’t had slashing guards for years. We need to recruit for guys who can actually break someone down off the dribble.
That we can agree on. The Karaban on Hopkins thing is a head scratcher to me. Everyone knew it wouldn’t work.

Reaction Score
I be forgetting we have Springs. Is he really that bad to not get minutes in these matchups?

Phil Nolan and Charles Okwandu were useable players for us. Springs can’t be that bad.
At this point I think it's safe to assume the answer is yes. He's in year 4 and can't get off the bench outside of garbage time

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
At this point I think it's safe to assume the answer is yes. He's in year 4 and can't get off the bench outside of garbage time
I just don’t believe it based on the fact that Phil Nolan and Charles Okwandu were useable. Worst players have made an impact. We’ve seen Springs play too. I would say he’s probably a better player than those guys.

Why Hurley refuses to play him I’m not sure. I really do not like how he manages the talent on this team. We really need to turn this around because if we don’t after bringing in all these transfers…

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom