We are Flawed | Page 8 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
I be forgetting we have Springs. Is he really that bad to not get minutes in these matchups?

Phil Nolan and Charles Okwandu were useable players for us. Springs can’t be that bad.
Springs would have fouled out in 5 minutes guarding Hopkins. He hasn’t played all year and put him in to guard a beast like Hopkins. Nope.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the BE tourney at MSG. No matter how we do the rest of the way, the BE tourney will be a very good indicator of how far we go in the NCAA's. We should have home court cooking advantage by the refs, :):)

Reaction Score
The revisionist history with Cole is kinda ridiculous. If he was that good we would’ve won a tournament game.
This is what I’ll always think of with Cole unfortunately, though I do love him.

Attachments

• A2CC8F73-891E-42DC-BFBD-F9AE641F29E1.jpeg
    A2CC8F73-891E-42DC-BFBD-F9AE641F29E1.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 93
Reaction Score
There is a bigger issue at hand in regards to making in game adjustments and that falls solely on Hurley’s stubbornness. We watched that kid from New Mexico State go for 30 last year and Hurley didn’t even consider sending a double team, going zone, or putting a different body on him. Tonight was another reminder of this. After Hopkins scored his first 20 it was time to start doubling him and make someone else beat us. Hurley sat back and watched as if he thought Karaban was all of a sudden magically going to stop him. I love Hurley’s tenacity and recruiting but he definitely lacks the in game adjustments that separate the good coaches from the great ones.
Sometimes you need to go zone in these stupid NBE games. Especially against a team who is dictating the pace and mucking it up on defense with refs allowing them to get away with it

Reaction Score
top recruits let this team down, again I've never been a believer in Hurley. I expect another 1st or 2nd rd exit in tournament
Is this the guy that posted Hurley got in a fight with providence fans?

Reaction Score
He’s weak and slow. He’s a freshman. It will get addressed
Compared to some opponents… not all. Just need to manage him and the rest a little better.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
top recruits let this team down, again I've never been a believer in Hurley. I expect another 1st or 2nd rd exit in tournament
the cockroaches come out of the woodwork after losses lol

Reaction Score
I be forgetting we have Springs. Is he really that bad to not get minutes in these matchups?

Phil Nolan and Charles Okwandu were useable players for us. Springs can’t be that bad.
This player still puzzles me. Why is he still here yet called the best offensive rebounder on the team.

Reaction Score
Every flaw that was predicted before the season has come out in very obvious fashion the last two games. We were hot for a couple big games in the early season, now regressing to what everyone expected. Could be a Sweet 16 team if things come together for the end of the year, though
This team is loaded with exception of good guard penetration. Hurley doesn’t know how to maintain and tune his Ferrari for optimal performance. End of story.

Reaction Score
We don’t seem to have a killer instinct that wins close games on the road. We play tight. Love this team. Still have high expectations, but we don’t have it… yet.
Every team in college basketball is flawed.

It’s a slump. Shooting slump by the guards, and they are in a bit of a funk on defense.

Road games in this stupid conference against good teams like providence, who take advantage of the home cooking officiating that pollutes these games has a way of making you look ALOT worse than you really are.

They are very good. They need another athletic big (that hopefully Johnson will be,) but they are very very good.

Reaction Score
We need some type of high-low offense. The staff needs to stress to Adama that if he doesn’t pass the ball quicker when he gets in bad spots, he will be benched. Getting the ball to him can’t only end in a shot or a turnover.

The half court offense has always been a problem under Hurley. Hawkins is taking Polley’s place this year of the only guy who moves around. We need to incorporate more pick and rolls from the top of the key with Newton/AJ to get them going downhill, and scream at them to go to the hoop and draw a foul. This whole team is scared to death of contact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PG play has been horrible. Not going to win anything if this continues. In all our Title seasons, we were led by a PG to drive the train. This team is rudderless and looks like it's throwing up 3s instead of doing the work to get a much better shot. It starts with the PG.

Reaction Score
No he isn't. Andre is 6'6 210 and Karaban is 6'8 210. Hopkins is 6'6 220.
Hopkins looked bigger than 220 to me. Either that or our guys are not 210.
Hurley didn't have his team up for this game and it showed on the court.
We led for most of the first half.
They didn’t learn anything from the Xavier loss. Not one damn thing.

Who’s fault is that?
We played entirely different today than that game. Different lineups, different philosophy on offense. Attacked the rim much more. Lived in the paint. Didn't settle for 3s. Hit the boards harder. We fouled too much and missed shots.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Defensively, I don't understand the lack of adjustment on guys that are going off on us. Hurley's done this for 5 years and hasn't gotten better at it. It was obvious since before tip-off that Karaban was going to get smoked by Hopkins. You can't throw your talented freshman in the fire like that and kill their confidence. Jackson needed to be on him as soon as he started going off.
2 fouls in the first 4 minutes took away that option. Alex got schooled by a strong, skilled, and more experienced player who had a better sense of what he could and couldn't do...and shot particularly well today.
That Marquette game after Creighton ain’t gonna be no picnic either
It's the hardest 4-game stretch DH has ever faced, and so far he's 0-2 on the road against two very good coaches.

In college basketball, the head coach moves up against his growing edge pretty much non-stop, forever.

16 games in, the team hasn't won a game where the victory was undeserved or surprising. Both losses remained winnable long after they'd become frustrating and angering to the caring, attentive, knowledgeable fans we think we are.

I don't expect the match ups against McDermott and Smart (in Milwaukee) to be much easier.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure how we all of sudden we can't shoot but seeing Providence out hustling us for every loose ball is depressing. Hurley didn't have his team up for this game and it showed on the court.
Hurley didn’t miss layups and every 3 they shot, he didn’t get out toughed, the players did and for me, I don’t care what the coach does, good or bad, I would NEVER let the opposing team out hustle or tough me, if you need a coach to have you up for the game then maybe you shouldn’t be playing at all but definitely at UConn

Reaction Score
Every team has it's flaws. We obviously have our own. Apart from coaching and flaws in our personnel, we lost a majority of 50/50 balls because we had at least 2 players standing around while the ball is either on the ground or being tipped around. The only constant high energy guy was AJax and he can't do it alone.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I thought we were onto something when AJax cruised to that ferocious slam, thinking that would be available as long as Sanogo was triple teamed. But never saw it again. Not sure why.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Everyone is flawed, and only one team can win

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member