We are fatigued and need rest. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are fatigued and need rest.

Reaction Score
I've been complaining about the OOC schedule for over a month but right now, the issue is the lack of a bench. You play 38 or 40 minutes after traveling, you are shot. You could see it in the game against Marquette.

Reaction Score
Yes these girls are elite athletes! Preparing their early years for college ,WNBA, Overseas, etc!
But they haven't prepared themselves both mentally and physically for whats been happening for almost two years!
When this outrageous schedule was prepared the coaching staff had Paige and Ice along with Azzie, Caroline, Nika, Edwards, Dorka, Aubrey, Lou, Patterson, DeBerry, (Ines wasn't signed up until school started) on the roster to play! It makes a huge difference with ALL 12 of these players healthy and trained to a razors edge!
Now they've dealt for a stretch with approximately 70 points sitting on the bench unable to play, and the rest of the girls have to make up for those points vs quality competition! That's a mental drag on the healthy players,
In normal situations, you're right, an 18 to 22 year old CAN play 40 minutes no sweat!
BUT these are not normal situations, by any standard YOU set!
Because they've played major minutes nagging little hurts become more serious injuries that they have to deal with in practice and games!
They don't have to live up to YOUR standards but the standards the UCONN Coaching Staff set!
CHILL, please!

sun

Reaction Score
Edit: Illness & injury affected the NC game last year, not the FF.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Show me another team in WCBB that would handle the **** storm this team has endured the last two years and performed nearly as well.

Tired isn’t an excuse — it’s a fact.

Can these players play 40 minutes a game? Sure.

Can they do it night after night after night? Sure.

Does that mean they won’t be tired? Of course they will be.

Does that mean their physical tiredness won’t bring down their mental sharpness? Of course it will.

They’re not robots, y’all, and we should all hope we can keep it together half as well in the face of such adversity.

Reaction Score
How about a different perspective? First, we know Geno is not happy about the short bench. Second, it has been stated for years that practice is much harder than a game. Third, Geno loves to raise the bar and challenge the players.
Geno says to the players --YOU CAN play 40 minutes if necessary and we can win. You can push through and find a new level in the thick of high level competition. This opportunity presented itself and Geno is using it as a "lesson" on what can be accomplished if needed in March.
If Geno wanted the playesr to get some rest he would space all his timeouts for a break. And he would sub whenever the team was ahead by 20 or more. But he doesn't.

Reaction Score
Yes these girls are elite athletes! Preparing their early years for college ,WNBA, Overseas, etc!
But they haven't prepared themselves both mentally and physically for whats been happening for almost two years!
When this outrageous schedule was prepared the coaching staff had Paige and Ice along with Azzie, Caroline, Nika, Edwards, Dorka, Aubrey, Lou, Patterson, DeBerry, (Ines wasn't signed up until school started) on the roster to play! It makes a huge difference with ALL 12 of these players healthy and trained to a razors edge!
Now they've dealt for a stretch with approximately 70 points sitting on the bench unable to play, and the rest of the girls have to make up for those points vs quality competition! That's a mental drag on the healthy players,
In normal situations, you're right, an 18 to 22 year old CAN play 40 minutes no sweat!
BUT these are not normal situations, by any standard YOU set!
Because they've played major minutes nagging little hurts become more serious injuries that they have to deal with in practice and games!
They don't have to live up to YOUR standards but the standards the UCONN Coaching Staff set!
CHILL, please!
Your message appears to be directed towards my post and you are entitled to your opinion which I RESPECT. I just see a lot of excuses being made on this site along with a lot of Flip Flopping opinions when things go Go or Bad. The bottom line (YES, in my opinion) is enjoy what they give us and let the coaches coach, I think they know what's going on and how to prepare them for the next game, 1 at a time......

Reaction Score
I agree with hoopsfan22. I’m a skeptic regarding this narrative.
1- Geno is a master psychologist and communicator. His team is together, they are playing well, they are getting better, and they are positioned to peak in the tournament. And we (fans) love the team. Geno is positioning this team as an underdog, like last year. He must feel that that serves this team and himself the best, after spending the bulk of the last 25 years as the front-runner.
2- 20 year old kids can play 40 minutes in a game. In world class programs, practices are harder than games. John Wooden had the rolled up program on the bench because the game was the time for the players to perform, his job was done, the arduous preparation in practice complete.
3- This situation has accelerated the progress of everyone. Every member of this squad is better than we all expected. And we have a huge upside. (reason we’re all so giddy) AP is gunna get better. AD is gunna get better. We have 3 players playing at the highest level, with Dorka close behind.
They‘re not tired. They’re probably having the time of their lives. Playing at the highest level of competition, tethered to one of the great coaches, with the freedom to connect with teammates, without the fear of a quick hook for mistakes.
Now the team faces some easier league games to further get their groove on before a couple of challenges ahead.
I’m from MD, the “Old Line State”. The team has more than held the line, they’ve pushed forward, with reinforcements soon to arrive.
Just couldn't let this one go-- it was too funny. As someone who have written and research about stress, your comments fit a genre of 19th century studies known as 'the body without stress.' Today, we collectively see these incitements as 'folk' knowledge. In a recent interview I had with a 50-year old woman (with a mother, aunt and possibly a grandmother having had cancer), she said to me that she read somewhere that breast cancer or cancer in general usually skip a generation. Imagine that, and imagine bodies without stress-- even teenage girls. Speaking of teenagers-- we have all heard the stories about: 'if you don't think about it-- closing your eyes, or some form of disembodiment-- you won't get pregnant; 'having sex standing up is a preventive strategy, etc. And yours: these are teenage girls, their bodies can take abuse, they are used to abusing their body. I guess there are no expiration date on folk knowledge.

Reaction Score
Perhaps some of us that have traveled extensively for business know the stress and physical wear and tear it imposes. Less sleep, eating foods not aligned with individual issues, etc. With the recent games coming around the holidays, likely more fun and the resulting lack of sleep and poor eating habits. I agree with the comments that 18-20 year old women should be physically able to play a game of basketball and guess what, the Huskies are doing that and winning. In the same sense, there is a reason why Vegas always takes points away from a visiting team. Its reasonable to think that the UConn team is a more tired than normal but did anyone think that with the issues they are dealing with, even with more sub minutes, they would likely be a bit more tired anyway? Holidays and travel have way of doing that to you.

Reaction Score
Just couldn't let this one go-- it was too funny. As someone who have written and research about stress, your comments fit a genre of 19th century studies known as 'the body without stress.' Today, we collectively see these incitements as 'folk' knowledge. In a recent interview I had with a 50-year old woman (with a mother, aunt and possibly a grandmother having had cancer), she said to me that she read somewhere that breast cancer or cancer in general usually skip a generation. Imagine that, and imagine bodies without stress-- even teenage girls. Speaking of teenagers-- we have all heard the stories about: 'if you don't think about it-- closing your eyes, or some form of disembodiment-- you won't get pregnant; 'having sex standing up is a preventive strategy, etc. And yours: these are teenage girls, their bodies can take abuse, they are used to abusing their body. I guess there are no expiration date on folk knowledge.
You made an assumption in your erudite post, that these players are experiencing stress. I say and I alluded to this in my posts that world-class athletes are not only able to deal with a WCBB schedule and lifestyle but that they crave it.
Is the stress you are talking about, societal stress, like paying the bills or having a sick child or problems at work?
These athletes might have some college and boyfriend related stress but not the stress I think you’re talking about.
In my 20’s I played two college sports and then immediately after ran marathons (sub-3:00) and triathlons before I started a real work life. I loved the “stress”, injuries, ups and down and everything that comes with it.
You seem intelligent. Why would you try to cut me down with your first sentence. You never even explained what was so funny to you. How do you even watch and enjoy sports if you think the training is so abusive to the athletes. Bah!

Reaction Score
You made an assumption in your erudite post, that these players are experiencing stress. I say and I alluded to this in my posts that world-class athletes are not only able to deal with a WCBB schedule and lifestyle but that they crave it.
Is the stress you are talking about, societal stress, like paying the bills or having a sick child or problems at work?
These athletes might have some college and boyfriend related stress but not the stress I think you’re talking about.
In my 20’s I played two college sports and then immediately after ran marathons (sub-3:00) and triathlons before I started a real work life. I loved the “stress”, injuries, ups and down and everything that comes with it.
You seem intelligent. Why would you try to cut me down with your first sentence. You never even explained what was so funny to you. How do you even watch and enjoy sports if you think the training is so abusive to the athletes. Bah!

You're making assumptions as well, using your viewpoint of your student athlete experience. You may have craved and enjoyed it, but it's not fair to assume that these athletes have the same feeling.

There will be parts they like along with parts they dislike. They understand that they have to take to good with the bad to achieve their goals while learning how to balance it all.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Our Huskies are elite athletes, well-conditioned and trained for a tough season. The season is a grind, physically demanding especially having a short bench. The best tonic for the Huskies will be the return of the wounded and ill players, providing a big mental lift as well as a reduction in individual minutes played. Other teams can be heard yelling "Who let the dogs out". :cool:

Reaction Score
You're making assumptions as well, using your viewpoint of your student athlete experience. You may have craved and enjoyed it, but it's not fair to assume that these athletes have the same feeling.

There will be parts they like along with parts they dislike. They understand that they have to take to good with the bad to achieve their goals while learning how to balance it all.
We are all on the BY for at least one thing to a person: we are fans of the best WCBB program in history. Right?
IMO certain assumptions need to be made regarding this environment. I would compare it to other world-class situations: olympic gold medal quest, World Cup team, Professional athlete- WNBA.
This is some of the stuff that Geno recruits for. He has spoken volumes about what he looks for when he “selects” who’s going to be on his team.
I would argue that there is no compromise regarding this stuff. Either you’re all in, or you’re not. As fans, we’re used to this team being all in. A reason why some players don’t get PT?

Reaction Score
We are all on the BY for at least one thing to a person: we are fans of the best WCBB program in history. Right?
IMO certain assumptions need to be made regarding this environment. I would compare it to other world-class situations: olympic gold medal quest, World Cup team, Professional athlete- WNBA.
This is some of the stuff that Geno recruits for. He has spoken volumes about what he looks for when he “selects” who’s going to be on his team.
I would argue that there is no compromise regarding this stuff. Either you’re all in, or you’re not. As fans, we’re used to this team being all in. A reason why some players don’t get PT?

No argument there but the use of the word crave in the context you did is what I disagreed with. It comes across that these players love everything that comes with playing NCAAW at this level. That's not realistic in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I've been complaining about the OOC schedule for over a month but right now, the issue is the lack of a bench. You play 38 or 40 minutes after traveling, you are shot. You could see it in the game against Marquette.
This week we face Butler, whom we can beat with everyone getting extensive minutes. And by that ai mean; Ines, Amari, and Patterson. But it wont happen.

Reaction Score
This week we face Butler, whom we can beat with everyone getting extensive minutes. And by that ai mean; Ines, Amari, and Patterson. But it wont happen.
Same is true for Xavier. I remain hopeful though since we have two games on the road in 48 hours against teams that are struggling in conference. I think with Geno it's how hard you practice, not who we are playing. Even if you earn the minutes however in practice as a bench player, but you don't play hard in the game, you are not staying in. It's more a question of focus and energy. I also wonder if with Ines it's a medical issue with the stitches.

Reaction Score
Leaving the schedule aside for a minute, the issue to me is the minutes. Taking two of the most valuable players on other teams, Aaliyah Boston plays 23 minutes a game and Caitlin Clark plays 33. Clark's number is very high since she is basically the team. In the NBA, Lebron, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum all average about 36 minutes a game out of a possible 48 or play only 75% of the time. A. Morrow from Depaul, another "team" individual averages 33. Playing 35-40 minutes of a college game is tiring at best and at worst its downright fatiguing. We need Aubrey and Azzi back. It gives everyone a chance to rest, watch the game from the sidelines, reenter and do your best after being rested.

Reaction Score
It is my view that when we post things we do so to inform others and to start a dialogue. Once posted it is out of our hands regarding how others read it, etc. My comments were never intended to belittle-- indeed, I found your said statements about young girls interesting and its implied knowledge about bodies. Yes, there are people like you who are athletic well beyond the norm, but we know from data that these individual also suddenly drop dead because fatigue/stress can have consequences for thee body. At the research level we do not really make a distinction between what a layperson may see as 'positive' and 'negative' stress (celebrating a win, a honeymoon/wedding or mourning the death of a spouse right after saying your vows-- all are equally loaded.
I think you have taken a few (mine particularly) posts as criticism even negative. Having read them most saw a lot in what you had to say-- even in disagreement. By the way, were you really doing 2 sports and running marathons at the same time?

Reaction Score
It is my view that when we post things we do so to inform others and to start a dialogue. Once posted it is out of our hands regarding how others read it, etc. My comments were never intended to belittle-- indeed, I found your said statements about young girls interesting and its implied knowledge about bodies. Yes, there are people like you who are athletic well beyond the norm, but we know from data that these individual also suddenly drop dead because fatigue/stress can have consequences for thee body. At the research level we do not really make a distinction between what a layperson may see as 'positive' and 'negative' stress (celebrating a win, a honeymoon/wedding or mourning the death of a spouse right after saying your vows-- all are equally loaded.
I think you have taken a few (mine particularly) posts as criticism even negative. Having read them most saw a lot in what you had to say-- even in disagreement. By the way, were you really doing 2 sports and running marathons at the same time?
Thanks for your feedback.
I'm a former Psych major and I remember an exercise in class designed for us to evaluate our stress. It was a checklist of all of the things that contribute stress to a person. Great exercise we could all do from time to time. Agree, some of these elements can be positive things.
No, I didn't start training for marathons until I finished hoops. Trained 2 weeks for my first one. Amazing what kind of general fitness college hoops gives you.

sun

Reaction Score
Amazing what kind of general fitness college hoops gives you.
My MLB team's best young pitcher played water polo in college.
He said it developed his core strength.
He doesn't look that strong but he's extremely talented, it must be the "water polo. " :D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They played a noon game Dec. 21 then had a couple day off until they had to be back on December 25th, 3 and a half days.
Nan, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink! I give you this GIF

cool hand luke cowboy GIF

Reaction Score
We heard Geno say several times that he thinks the team is tired physically and mentally. From reading many posts most of us agree. Top that off with a few players playing while still recovering from injuries and you can see why we miss shots we may ordinarily make, may appear to be a step slow at times, get beat on dribble drives and make TOs that we wouldnt normally make. Couple that with some of our stars playing injured and a depleted lineup forcing those who can play even those injured who can play, must play more minutes then the coaching staff would like. Playing while recovering from injuries is tuff because you cant do what you could do when your healthy and well rested. It affects your shot, your first step, your reactions to plays. Plus many times this season we are playing out of position which too causes problems running our offense and defense and we're still winning.

Where would we be without Aaliyah and Nika having the seasons theyre having and how bout Lou. We are playing the tuffest schedule in WCBB and have lost only 2 games. Thats remarkable considering the circumstances. When I read posts talking about players inefficiencies' I wonder what those posters are thinking. Im thinking they dont realize or dont know what these kids are going through. If UConn had a roster of 12 fairly healthy players I would think that our starters would be playing less minutes and a player like Caroline would be rested alot more. Caroline put up 19 pts plus everything else she did yesterday and is still recovering from her injury plus being beat up the last 2 games. She has hung in there. That aint easy to do. But because we have a depleted lineup Geno is forced to play her and her minutes are longer. Talk about fatigue. Couple with that playing still recovering from an injury.

Folks we are very lucky to have the record we have especially considering our schedule. I think some fans are not considering where we are right now. Think about this. We have a very short bench. We have played good defense without anybody fouling out and for the most part not being in real terrible foul trouble. We have made some silly uncharacteristic TOs and mistakes. Ya think that might have something to do with not much rest????? Lets not nic pic the mistakes and errors but let us understand what is causing those mistakes and errors. Fatigue from playing to many minutes and recovering from injuries may be the answer.

Aubrey is coming back for our next game. Azzi hopefully within the next 3-4 games. Understand with them coming back they to will need time to get their breath back. We are not popping them out of a microwave and presto theyre 100% of what they were before. It takes a few games to get back to where they were. With their return it will give everybody less playtime and time. If you watch the replay of the game you will see our players breathing heavy. Thats what happens when you dont get a breather. The more it happens the more tired and fatigued we get. We wont have much time in-between games over the next couple of months either. You heard Geno mention we dont have 2 games in a row at home. Thats a problem with resting and relaxing too.

Just the fact that our non starters have played minutes over the past month or so has given them experience which should help to give their team mates a rest. Over the next couple of months with alot of time on the road the starters will need a rest and they should get it with Aubrey and Azzi coming back. Both are scorers and that will help the offensive flow. That is why in yesterdays game Geno did not use his bench as much as some fans thought he should. He didnt because he didnt have scorers coming off the bench and Patterson and Amari were sent it imo to rebound and give the starters a rest and they didnt rebound like Geno wanted so he benched them. They will learn from this. The downside was the starters needed rest.

In order to continue winning we will need to find time to rest. That will affect practices and game time. With Aubrey and Azzi coming back we will have the scorers and will be able to afford to play deeper into our bench. Scoring wise it wont only be Dorka Aaliyah and Lou we now have Caroline on her way back and Aubrey and Azzi. Now defenses cant key on Aaliyah or Lou like you saw in the past two games. Defenses will now focus more attention on everybody one on one.

We've done some pretty amazing things in the first half of the season and now it looks like it will only be a short time until we're at full strength. When that happens the future is bright, very bright.
Every team is tired and needs rest at this time of year. The injuries are killing us! Are practices to demanding.?

Reaction Score
Dorka’s tired

Dorka is WONDERFUL! I loved the " we miss you Coach!" spoken right to the camera!
Well spoken, honest, sincere, composed = and she plays great basketball - with heart!
Of course, you must notice Azzi's Dad in the background with the "AZZI 35 " T-shirt!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom