We are fatigued and need rest. | The Boneyard

We are fatigued and need rest.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We heard Geno say several times that he thinks the team is tired physically and mentally. From reading many posts most of us agree. Top that off with a few players playing while still recovering from injuries and you can see why we miss shots we may ordinarily make, may appear to be a step slow at times, get beat on dribble drives and make TOs that we wouldnt normally make. Couple that with some of our stars playing injured and a depleted lineup forcing those who can play even those injured who can play, must play more minutes then the coaching staff would like. Playing while recovering from injuries is tuff because you cant do what you could do when your healthy and well rested. It affects your shot, your first step, your reactions to plays. Plus many times this season we are playing out of position which too causes problems running our offense and defense and we're still winning.

Where would we be without Aaliyah and Nika having the seasons theyre having and how bout Lou. We are playing the tuffest schedule in WCBB and have lost only 2 games. Thats remarkable considering the circumstances. When I read posts talking about players inefficiencies' I wonder what those posters are thinking. Im thinking they dont realize or dont know what these kids are going through. If UConn had a roster of 12 fairly healthy players I would think that our starters would be playing less minutes and a player like Caroline would be rested alot more. Caroline put up 19 pts plus everything else she did yesterday and is still recovering from her injury plus being beat up the last 2 games. She has hung in there. That aint easy to do. But because we have a depleted lineup Geno is forced to play her and her minutes are longer. Talk about fatigue. Couple with that playing still recovering from an injury.

Folks we are very lucky to have the record we have especially considering our schedule. I think some fans are not considering where we are right now. Think about this. We have a very short bench. We have played good defense without anybody fouling out and for the most part not being in real terrible foul trouble. We have made some silly uncharacteristic TOs and mistakes. Ya think that might have something to do with not much rest????? Lets not nic pic the mistakes and errors but let us understand what is causing those mistakes and errors. Fatigue from playing to many minutes and recovering from injuries may be the answer.

Aubrey is coming back for our next game. Azzi hopefully within the next 3-4 games. Understand with them coming back they to will need time to get their breath back. We are not popping them out of a microwave and presto theyre 100% of what they were before. It takes a few games to get back to where they were. With their return it will give everybody less playtime and time. If you watch the replay of the game you will see our players breathing heavy. Thats what happens when you dont get a breather. The more it happens the more tired and fatigued we get. We wont have much time in-between games over the next couple of months either. You heard Geno mention we dont have 2 games in a row at home. Thats a problem with resting and relaxing too.

Just the fact that our non starters have played minutes over the past month or so has given them experience which should help to give their team mates a rest. Over the next couple of months with alot of time on the road the starters will need a rest and they should get it with Aubrey and Azzi coming back. Both are scorers and that will help the offensive flow. That is why in yesterdays game Geno did not use his bench as much as some fans thought he should. He didnt because he didnt have scorers coming off the bench and Patterson and Amari were sent it imo to rebound and give the starters a rest and they didnt rebound like Geno wanted so he benched them. They will learn from this. The downside was the starters needed rest.

In order to continue winning we will need to find time to rest. That will affect practices and game time. With Aubrey and Azzi coming back we will have the scorers and will be able to afford to play deeper into our bench. Scoring wise it wont only be Dorka Aaliyah and Lou we now have Caroline on her way back and Aubrey and Azzi. Now defenses cant key on Aaliyah or Lou like you saw in the past two games. Defenses will now focus more attention on everybody one on one.

We've done some pretty amazing things in the first half of the season and now it looks like it will only be a short time until we're at full strength. When that happens the future is bright, very bright.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They played 2 games in 10 days and had a whole week off before Creighton.
They were taking final exams and spending a day or two with family before returning to campus Christmas Day to prepare for and travel to Omaha Nebraska

I don’t know about you, but travel tires me. The kids went home, or home with a teammate, then back to Storrs, then to Nebraska and back.

Reaction Score
They were taking final exams and spending a day or two with family before returning to campus Christmas Day to prepare for and travel to Omaha Nebraska

I don’t know about you, but travel tires me. The kids went home, or home with a teammate, then back to Storrs, then to Nebraska and back.
The players haven't had academic obligations for 2 weeks. Finals this year were the week of the 12th.

Reaction Score
Is there any rest available in the next couple weeks? We're scheduled to play 1/3 1/5 1/8 1/11 and three of those are away games. I think this is the usual schedule for January. No time to be tired. Fortunately, classes don't start until 1/17.

People can quibble about whether their schedule is full or not, classes, exams, etc. -- but it was easy to see (and confirmed by Geno) the girls looked tired the last couple games. They don't have classes right now, which means they can relax into basketball for one of the few stretches of the school year.

Reaction Score
I agree with hoopsfan22. I’m a skeptic regarding this narrative.
1- Geno is a master psychologist and communicator. His team is together, they are playing well, they are getting better, and they are positioned to peak in the tournament. And we (fans) love the team. Geno is positioning this team as an underdog, like last year. He must feel that that serves this team and himself the best, after spending the bulk of the last 25 years as the front-runner.
2- 20 year old kids can play 40 minutes in a game. In world class programs, practices are harder than games. John Wooden had the rolled up program on the bench because the game was the time for the players to perform, his job was done, the arduous preparation in practice complete.
3- This situation has accelerated the progress of everyone. Every member of this squad is better than we all expected. And we have a huge upside. (reason we’re all so giddy) AP is gunna get better. AD is gunna get better. We have 3 players playing at the highest level, with Dorka close behind.
They‘re not tired. They’re probably having the time of their lives. Playing at the highest level of competition, tethered to one of the great coaches, with the freedom to connect with teammates, without the fear of a quick hook for mistakes.
Now the team faces some easier league games to further get their groove on before a couple of challenges ahead.
I’m from MD, the “Old Line State”. The team has more than held the line, they’ve pushed forward, with reinforcements soon to arrive.

Reaction Score
Is there any rest available in the next couple weeks? We're scheduled to play 1/3 1/5 1/8 1/11 and three of those are away games. I think this is the usual schedule for January. No time to be tired. Fortunately, classes don't start until 1/17.

People can quibble about whether their schedule is full or not, classes, exams, etc. -- but it was easy to see (and confirmed by Geno) the girls looked tired the last couple games. They don't have classes right now, which means they can relax into basketball for one of the few stretches of the school year.
Devils Advocate: maybe they’re tired from not playing. I played DIII hoops and January was a blast. Like being a pro: wake up, go to an uncrowded dining hall, over to the gym for shooting, lifting, whirlpools, treatment. Practice after lunch, dinner, and fun with teammates in the evening. Awesome times.
Travel for a UConn hoopster- chartered team buses, all arrangements made to perfection, team plane non-stop. Fun with teammates. Not even close to my trip from AK to SF- 17 hours with zero delays. 5 hour stopover in Anchorage.
They may end up as WNBA icons, CEOs in business, whatever happens, these players will remember these days as the “times of their lives”. These teammates will be friends for life. Their love and respect for the coaching staff will be forever. Same for the University. This is where the seeds of this great program blossom.

Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone would argue against the clear and obvious fact that the team is exhausted! It is as clear as the nose on one’s face. The question isn’t whether or when they had a break from class, it is more the fact that they are playing more minutes than they should and also playing when they are still not 100% healthy. Additionally, I believe they are mentally tired as well from the stress of the past couple of years. This team has been put through the wringer! I cannot think of a team in any sport that has gone through half of what this team has had to deal with! Obviously, the short roster is a huge factor but in addition to fewer minutes, I think what this team really needs is simply, normality. They need a nice long stretch where nothing bad happens (knock wood) and they can stop cringing and holding their breath every time someone falls down on the court. I’m praying for exactly that from here on out. Then we’ll see just how good this team can be!

Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone would argue against the clear and obvious fact that the team is exhausted! It is as clear as the nose on one’s face. The question isn’t whether or when they had a break from class, it is more the fact that they are playing more minutes than they should and also playing when they are still not 100% healthy. Additionally, I believe they are mentally tired as well from the stress of the past couple of years. This team has been put through the wringer! I cannot think of a team in any sport that has gone through half of what this team has had to deal with! Obviously, the short roster is a huge factor but in addition to fewer minutes, I think what this team really needs is simply, normality. They need a nice long stretch where nothing bad happens (knock wood) and they can stop cringing and holding their breath every time someone falls down on the court. I’m praying for exactly that from here on out. Then we’ll see just how good this team can be!
That’s the narrative, well stated and repeated by you.
It’s not about arguing, it’s about offering another perspective.
UConn players have the DNA to handle anything and everything that a college basketball season presents. The more to overcome the better. Change, challenges, and obstacles make it fresh. Analogy: marathon training- it’s not about rest or days off, it’s about persevering. The training has plateaus. Each stair step to the next plateau is challenging and you have to fight through adversity. Then you reach another level and it’s like you just got a new toy.
Could a more interesting post be: would these players be as good as they currently are if these challenges did not arise? Nika, AE, Aubrey, Dorka, Lou, even Inez. Would CD be this close to form if she was playing 15 minutes a game off the bench?
To me, saying 20 year old elite athletes are tired is short-sighted and frankly boring. They’re playing the game they are passionate about.

Reaction Score
They are exhausted but not because of their schedules or living conditions or any other silly excuse. Who’s exhausted? 4 players. Who’s not exhausted? 4 players. The coach has determined who he apparently wants exhausted.

Reaction Score
While not discounting the bumps, bruises, muscle aches, scars, soreness seen and unseen these women are warriors all. They signed up for UCONN hoping for maximum playing time and when it happens they run onto the court for well deserved playing time with grit and determination.

Reaction Score
I recall a post game presser a couple of weeks ago after CD had coached 2 games in Geno's absence. She said she knew she had to do a better job in her second game with getting substitutions into the game to give the "starters" a little break. In fact, CD did a marvelous job getting players a minute or two rest, here and there, using the very limited bench she had. The results appeared to be positive, and was noted by many posters here, including me. Now, I realize Geno is the MAN. unparalleled in his record of winning success and developing players, so please don't bring that up. I just believe CD knows more than a thing or two!

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I heard a Geno presser where a new writer hammered him for Conn's lack of substitutions. Geno kept his cool and stated that unless a sub proved that she had a "UConn level of performance," he felt the other 4 players were made to work harder and the substitution accomplished little. Still thinking about this comment - everyone likely to draw their own conclusions.

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I heard a Geno presser where a new writer hammered him for Conn's lack of substitutions. Geno kept his cool and stated that unless a sub proved that she had a "UConn level of performance," he felt the other 4 players were made to work harder and the substitution accomplished little. Still thinking about this comment - everyone likely to draw their own conclusions.
Nice post!
Yes, totally agree with the sentiment, with my own experience to support it. (still, 40 years later plucking wood shrapnel from my butt)
A sub needs to contribute to the effort. It's great when subs give the team a boost in some regard, such as shooting, defense, intensity.

Reaction Score
I can understand the argument that they are mentally fatigued. However, I am not convinced that college aged athletes, playing at this level should be physically fatigued. Most of them have played basketball from the time they can walk, and probably played 15 hours a day at different points in their life. As an earlier poster stated, they played two games in a two week period.

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
--Most players who play for demanding coaches often say that practices are more tiring than games are.
--We have all seen videos and photos showing what these girls do when they have a day off(they are not sitting in a chair "resting," or taking a nap.)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yes, we have a very short bench, but it doesn't help when Geno basically keeps 2 players glued to the bench, regardless of the score, until there is under 3 minutes left.
So let's see now...
DeBerry averages 9.0 minutes per game
Patterson averages 11.3 minutes per game
Bettencourt averages 9.4 minutes per game

That looks like Patterson plays more than 1/4 of the minutes available in the game; DeBerry and Bettencourt play almost !/4 of the minutes availiable in the game. Hardly, has them glued to the bench and 3 minutes is certainly a mischaracterization. If these players start to prove themselves they will see more minutes...it is after all how Geno rolls.

Reaction Score
Are there 5 players that play ,what 90% plus of allotted mins right now, Yes. BUT we are talking about 18-22 year old's playing a 40 min. game every few days with a couple hours of practice a day. I don't know about a lot of you but , to me that's not more then they can handle. We're talking about Elite female athletes who have trained for this for most of their life's. Hell, for 40 plus years until I was in my early 60's I was cycling 150-200 mile's a week with other cyclists in their 40's and up, after working 8 plus hour's a day 5 days a week. My point is they are young and can handle it for a 7-10 day stretch between 5-7 day breaks. Just because to us "older people" it sound's tough, I think and believe they can handle it!

Reaction Score
So let's see now...

That looks like Patterson plays more than 1/4 of the minutes available in the game; DeBerry and Bettencourt play almost !/4 of the minutes availiable in the game. Hardly, has them glued to the bench and 3 minutes is certainly a mischaracterization. If these players start to prove themselves they will see more minutes...it is after all how Geno rolls.
and, accordingto the ESPN box score, Ayanna played 3, Amari 6, and Izez didn't play long enough to even get into the box score.

Attachments

• 824F860F-EF9A-4FBE-B50B-8115AF23F903.png
    824F860F-EF9A-4FBE-B50B-8115AF23F903.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
and, accordingto the ESPN box score, Ayanna played 3, Amari 6, and Izez didn't play long enough to even get into the box score.
You are cherry-picking a single game. All three of them average between 9:00 and 11 and half minutes each. Do you think that they should play more? Play time is earned, they all knew that when they came to UConn. Right now it appears that Patterson is earning more minutes than the other two. The solution if for DeBerry and Bettencourt to start playing in a manner that leaves Geno and his staff no choice but to give them more minutes. It is obvious that the coaching staff and Geno do not trust them to play essential or substantial minutes. From where I sit as an observer I have to concur with that sentiment.

Patterson is a big body...she needs to be more assertive. She should focus on playing better defense, rebound the ball and set good screens. She can contribute in other ways...she doesn't have to score the basketball.

DeBerry is 6'5" she should be under the basket averaging only 1.6 rebounds at her size is in my opinion underachieving. Also with her size she could be a blocking force under the basket. .6 blocks per game is again underwhelming.

Ines has potential she was called upon when we needed her...she stayed out of trouble for the most part but again when she is on the floor she is not causing anyone to get excited about her play. Next year with Azzi, Bueckers, Muhl, KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade all looking for time at the guard spots...Bettencourt should be using this time to impress the coaching staff if she wants to be early in the guard rotation.

Reaction Score
So let's see now...

Take out the Princeton & Maryland games, then the stats become very skewed. - Most coaches in the NBA coach like Geno with playing minutes. I think it is difficult to practise all summer and then 2 gets hurt & out all year. They had lost their leader in Paige. Then loosing another leader in Azzi, then Nika, & Dorka had the team & Geno retool them psychologically. I think it feels like a long season to the players. Getting Azzi back will lift their spirits big time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom