Way too early UConn 2018-2029 poll. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way too early UConn 2018-2029 poll.

What does the team need to dofor Hurley's first season as coach?

• Improve. I want to see a coherent offense and a solid defense and please no more opponent open 3s!

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • Beat mid majors, and stop losing by 20.

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 20 wins. It sends a message that we are back. The 2019-2020 class will be start of the Hurley era.

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • Make the NCAA Tournament. I'm tired of sitting out the post season.

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Get past the 1st weekend of the NCAAs

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Win it all. We're UConn damn it!

Votes: 13 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I wasn’t sure if I had won when you rolled over with the sweet burn of “hippie lawyer.” Now I know. Lol.

Thanks for confirming. You millennial snowflakes are so easy.

Can u show us pix of ur trophies?
hippie lawyer was a joke. don't take yourself so seriously.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not quite sure why everyone wants to argue that anything less than the NCAA tourney or sweet 16 is the expectation vs not reaching those goals are an indictment of Hurley.

We have had 2 straight losing seasons and the new coach had about three weeks to throw together what could be made of an 18/19 lineup with most of the core being made up of players that were on those losing seasons.

This is a process that will take several years to determine if Hurley is the answer or the next best possibility that won't work out.

There is a lot of things to fix and a long way to go with the next couple recruiting classes to have any answers.

If we make the NCAA tourney, it's a significant advancement from where we have been and a good indicator that things may be better going forward. If we don't make the tourney, it's simply a matter of waiting to see how things shake out in 19 and 20. If we're not making the tournament in 2020, then we have a significant problem.

Anyone hoping or even expecting Hurley to fail needs to go to another board asap. I said the same thing when Ollie was hired. We need Hurley to be the answer just like we needed Ollie to be the answer.

Let's hope we have the answer - anything else is a ridiculous emotional reaction that shouldn't be tolerated.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who has said they want to give him a parade just for making the tournament?
No, it’s a parade for NOT making the tournament. @JMick says making the tournament is the equivalent of landing on Mars. If we make the tournament next year Hurley is clearly HOF bound.

Reaction Score
More than likely we won't make the tourney, so fans should temper their expectations.

Reaction Score
No, it’s a parade for NOT making the tournament. @JMick says making the tournament is the equivalent of landing on Mars. If we make the tournament next year Hurley is clearly HOF bound.

We were the equivalent of the Wright Flyer the last two years. Making it to the tournament would be a huge jump. A welcome one, but a huge jump nonetheless.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Lotta butt hurt goin on here.

Same people complaining about Ollie's name still being mentioned on the boneyard last week are going out of their way to keep the feud alive this week.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In all seriousness I just want the games to be enjoyable this season. Play some real basketball, don't lie down when we're down 10 and end up losing by 25. Win the games we should and steal a couple that we shouldn't.

20 wins next year
At least 20 wins in 2019
Top 25 in 2020
Yes. Watchable would be a major jump forward. And would probably include some more winning.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We were the equivalent of the Wright Flyer the last two years. Making it to the tournament would be a huge jump. A welcome one, but a huge jump nonetheless.
We were also missing the guy expected to be the second best player on the team (insert Yale and Wagner retort here), and the expectation is that he will be healthy, that Sid Wilson will be an improvement at wing over Larrier, and that the front court as a whole should improve.

You sound more like the URI fans arguing that Hurley should have stayed there because this is merely a lateral move and they are on a much better trajectory given their recent NCAA appearances versus ours.

Do you think he came here expecting not to make the tournament? If so, we got the wrong guy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd LIKE to see us do really well. That's my fantasy. But honestly at this point I have no idea what to expect. Watching games the last 2 seasons felt like nails on a chalk board - impossible to experience without cringing.

Realistically I'd like to see an improvement from last season. I think a 20+ win season would exceed pretty much all reasonable expectations. I'd like to see us win the games we should, and even win a few that come down to the last second, or games we probably shouldn't have won. Lord knows there was precious little of that the past few seasons.

I just want this team to be fun to watch. I want the kids to have fun playing (while busting their asses at the same time). I'd like to see some sort of coherent offense run, and some sort of stable defense to be played. I'd love to see Hurley chew the ass off of some of the players and then see them respond. If you compare what we do to what we did the past 2 seasons, the bar is really low, and we should be able to achieve improvement easily. But we are UCONN. I want more (within reason)...

Reaction Score
We were also missing the guy expected to be the second best player on the team (insert Yale and Wagner retort here), and the expectation is that he will be healthy, that Sid Wilson will be an improvement at wing over TL, and that the front court as a whole should improve.

You sound more like the URI fans arguing that Hurley should have stayed there because this is merely a lateral move and they are on a much better trajectory given their recent NCAA appearances versus ours.

Do you think he came here expecting not to make the tournament? If so, we got the wrong guy.
You sound like strawmaster. 20 regular season wins next year would be a monumental improvement over last year and the year before. It's the difference between being a laughingstock and a team that gets respect during the season.

Reaction Score
Lotsa excuses for Hurley's first season already and it hasn't even started. Very disconcerting. Guess these guys are okay to be a mid-major as long as Ollie is not the face of the program.
I believe by definition one is midmajor if one is not P5. So, UConn is and has been midmajor with or without Ollie as long as the AAC is G5 and UConn is not a member of the P5. However, 0ne can be midmajor and advance in the NCAA basketball tournament, so there is a bright side.

Reaction Score
Lotta butt hurt goin on here.

Same people complaining about Ollie's name still being mentioned on the boneyard last week are going out of their way to keep the feud alive this week.
Yep, that's totally how it went down...
Lotsa excuses for Hurley's first season already and it hasn't even started. Very disconcerting. Guess these guys are okay to be a mid-major as long as Ollie is not the face of the program.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We were also missing the guy expected to be the second best player on the team (insert Yale and Wagner retort here), and the expectation is that he will be healthy, that Sid Wilson will be an improvement at wing over TL, and that the front court as a whole should improve.

Bottom line the talent level on this team is light years ahead of what he put on the floor at URI.

I expect us to be a tournament team.

We don’t accept mediocrity at UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, not seeing it. We're in the honeymoon period. The moves he’s made for staffing look intelligent and he’s firmed up the lineup with good additions. The BY will be tough enough on him soon enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom line the talent level on this team is light years ahead of what he put on the floor at URI.

I expect us to be a tournament team.

We don’t accept mediocrity at UConn.
you accepted mediocrity for two years and actively rooted for it

Reaction Score
20 wins and a post season berth would be fantastic. I'll take the NIT.

The pessimistic me says there's just too many question marks to be optimistic and we just lack depth - especially in the front court. 20 wins would be a treat with this group and expecting more is expecting too much.

The optimistic me says this back court is as good as anyone's in terms of sheer talent and that alone is usually good enough to flirt with the NCAA tournament, if not punch the ticket. While there are a lot of questions, there's a lot of talent. While it's too much to expect most of it to click, if it does, they could be sneaky good and the tournament isn't a leap.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Anyone voting for the first three categories are Hurley apologists and excuse makers.

Schedule and conference is much easier than last season which should easily give 4-5 more wins.

I’ll take Sid over Terry any day. DO is gone and if everyone was pointing to him as a major factor for how last season played out than I’m surprised with people not being more excited.

Plus you have Hurley and that should be worth an additional four or five wins.

Instead of most everyone being new to the team the majority of the team will have at least one year under their belt. Should give an additional 3-4 wins.

AG will play an entire season. KO and bad dharma are gone. An additional 6-8 wins.

My prediction is an undefeated season and NC # 5!
If things break the right way, we can win more games than we play.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness I just want the games to be enjoyable this season. Play some real basketball, don't lie down when we're down 10 and end up losing by 25. Win the games we should and steal a couple that we shouldn't.

20 wins next year
At least 20 wins in 2019
Top 25 in 2020
pretty much agree. i am excited about being excited for uconn basketball again.

Reaction Score
It's going to take awhile for kids to adjust to Hurley. And a number of them probably won't. I expect it to be rocky at first.

This particular team knows nothing but losing. It's not like you just flip a switch and there you go.

Maybe it happens, but that would be an unusual occurrence.
all these players need is a strong head coach that will kick their collective butt's into gear and put them in a position to win. its not like uconn became the chicago cubs in 2-3 seasons.
these kids grew up winning. i don't think they forgot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
you accepted mediocrity for two years and actively rooted for it
We haven't even seen mediocrity in the last two years. As of today, ANYTHING on this "way too soon" poll would be welcome by comparison.
Everybody in Connecticut go outside for the next few days...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I like all the changes but people forget that we are always very excited this time of year.
I checked back on a similar thread from last year and the predictions were about the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom