Way too early UConn 2018-2029 poll. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Way too early UConn 2018-2029 poll.

What does the team need to dofor Hurley's first season as coach?

• Improve. I want to see a coherent offense and a solid defense and please no more opponent open 3s!

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • Beat mid majors, and stop losing by 20.

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 20 wins. It sends a message that we are back. The 2019-2020 class will be start of the Hurley era.

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • Make the NCAA Tournament. I'm tired of sitting out the post season.

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Get past the 1st weekend of the NCAAs

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Win it all. We're UConn damn it!

Votes: 13 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The players expected to win a national championship before last season, I wouldn't be looking to seriously at what players expectations are.
I am and I'm not; I mean the lip service stuff is silly. And I think a National Championship is an unreasonable expectation.

But if we do not have a reasonable expectation of making the tournament next season, Jalen is a fool for returning imo.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The clarification you added--i.e., the conference is too weak--is another excuse that was roundly rejected when applied to Ollie.

Sheesh

That's not an excuse, it's simply a fact, and should be taken at face value. It's important in how many teams will make the tournament. I'm guessing two at this point. That could change. There's likely less chances this year. That's just the way it is.

When a new coach comes in, expecting the moon is normal among fans. But it doesn't make it right. These things take time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's not an excuse, it's simply a fact, and should be taken at face value. It's important in how many teams will make the tournament. I'm guessing two at this point. That could change. There's likely less chances this year. That's just the way it is.

When a new coach comes in, expecting the moon is normal among fans. But it doesn't make it right. These things take time.

Making NCAAs = "the moon"?!?

Wow, et tu alphabet man?

Reaction Score

Wow, et tu alphabet man?
After the last two years the NCAA tournament might as well be Mars. There's a lot to fix and a lot of bad habits to break.

Reaction Score
I agree with @JMick that the coaching difference alone gets us 5-6 more wins. I also think that the league itself will not be as good next year. Which helps.

To me, we need a couple of the rising sophomores to really develop. I am putting Carlton and Diarra in that category.

Gilbert needs to stay healthy. I keep saying that, but if he does (BIG IF) than suddenly we have a natural PG who can score, pass, and most importantly play solid defense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Wow, et tu alphabet man?

He has most of the same roster that was terrible last year, and which was blown out at a pace never previously experienced by any UConn team. If he does make the tournament, it's a pretty big indictment of Ollie. I do think it's possible, but any time you project as a bubble team, your margin for error is a couple of games. Injuries, the number of other bubble teams, RPI of opponents, lots of factors put you on one side of the line or the other.

I will say this, I doubt that non UConn fans expect UConn to make the tournament. SI, CBS, ESPN, etc. The projection will probably be NIT at best.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
2024 with the double up from the Girl's side.

Book it now.

Get in vegas.

It's like the Giants even year thing. Years ending in 4 are UConn's.

9s haven’t been too bad either ...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
9s haven’t been too bad either ...

But they include a choke job or a brutal injury (or both). I like 4s.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You and I have the same expectation for the team; I expect to talk about Ollie only when necessary to remind people like @JMick of their own double standard if they start making excuses for Hurley .

Besides the fact that it's never the same standard when you're starting at different points. Hurley in year 1. Ollie in year 6. Year 1 gets far more leeway than year 6. Full stop.

But if we do not have a reasonable expectation of making the tournament next season, Jalen is a fool for returning imo.

What other reasonable choice did he have to improve his stock? Go G League? Better to come back and see if he can shine under a new coach and see if he can get himself into the draft mix.

Reaction Score
In his first season, I would say making the tournament should be the goal.

20 wins and putting UConn back on the national scene should be the expectation.
I agree with this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He has most of the same roster that was terrible last year, and which was blown out at a pace never previously experienced by any UConn team. If he does make the tournament, it's a pretty big indictment of Ollie. I do think it's possible, but any time you project as a bubble team, your margin for error is a couple of games. Injuries, the number of other bubble teams, RPI of opponents, lots of factors put you on one side of the line or the other.

Yeah, I disagree. If Alterique is healthy I expect him and Sid to be better than any players on last year's team not named Adams, and the front court guys have a season--granted a disastrous one--under their belts and a very motivated coach with a plan for their improvement.

Ollie has already been indicted, and deservedly so based on last season's performance. Once Gilbert went down I didn't expect much (before then I expected us to be a bubble team), but I at least expected a team that looked like it cared. As I've said numerous times, Arkansas and Auburn were inexcusable for a UConn team.

Reaction Score
I been watching some of our games in youtube from the days of JC. It really makes you realize how bad we have stunk the last couple of years. I expect we will be a decent team next year, blow out the Columbias and Monmouths, and compete well with the good teams. I think Hurley can accomplish that and a tournament bid is a real possibility not a pipe dream.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
It's easy to say i just want them to play harder and fight from tip to buzzer, and I do, but really i want to beat Cinnci at least once, win 1 non-conference top 20 game, win all mid-major games and run table vs the ECU, Tulsa, etc.. All said and done, that would mean around 18-20 wins. I do not believe this team is void of talent. With a little luck (avoiding injuries) and Hurley getting Jalen to play like the player he should be, and playing that aggressive style of UConn defense we all fell in love with, there is no doubt we can achieve this.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Let’s take one year at a time.
These are the givens.
(Let’s accept the fact that KO was M.I. A.. or for whatever personal reasons was going through the motions and his coaches were all yes men going along for the ride as a given and that staff has been replaced by a hard working experienced group)
2018-19 .
With only the loss of TL , who because of injury and style never seemed to be the right complement to our other players.
I expected a 20 +win season just based on personal without a coaching change.
Why.
A guard duo of Jaylen Adams , Christian Vital who are playing their third season together.
The addition of the A10 sixth man of the year plus Adams II and Gilbert Give us not only one of ,if not the best back courts in the AAC but if Hurley sorts them out in the entire country.
With UConn that’s always the cornerstone of success.
The rest of the team last year was a mess but we saw some potential as the year went on. Finding the right combination was a huge problem with 8 first year players .
Emerging from that mess we saw what could be blended in Time into a formible unit
Carlton emeges as one of the better offensive bigs whose lack of experience on D prevented him from further development by increased playing time.
Polley in a similar fashion emerged as that potential third option whether it be at the 3 or the stretch 4. (Think DD .) Wilson replaces the atletism of TL And I suspect by us backing away from Mathews , Hurley believes he can shoot well enough to play the 3 or 4 .
Or we will see more three guard than I like.
Whaley who to this point has been an offensive liability if he developed a shot has excellent defensive potential.
Diarra is a versatile guy who can give you back up minutes at the 4 or 5 and like Whaley
his shooting will determine his minutes.
Williams and Cobb frankly are redundant especially the latter with the addition of the St John’s guy. The post grad is intriguing because unless he is injured he has the capibility of much greater contribution than last years numbers indicate especially as a shot blocker.
Shooting is key . Frankly it was KO ‘s preoccupation with what turned out to be a futile attempt at team D that doomed last years team. When his focus should have been on offensive chemistry.Trying to get continued defenive intensity from kids that can’t score may work in spurts but it’s certainly not sustainable.
If you put three decent shooters plus Carlton on the floor with JA , with an experienced coaching staff who seems to get it and are willing to work and next year will be a very good year. Frankly I worry more abou 2019-2020
With so much experience why would anyone predict less?

This is the hardest thing you'll ever try to read

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lotsa excuses for Hurley's first season already and it hasn't even started. Very disconcerting. Guess these guys are okay to be a mid-major as long as Ollie is not the face of the program.
Trolling?

I think we can wait until he loses a game before we burn him in effigy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I disagree. If Alterique is healthy I expect him and Sid to be better than any players on last year's team not named Adams, and the front court guys have a season--granted a disastrous one--under their belts and a very motivated coach with a plan for their improvement.

Ollie has already been indicted, and deservedly so based on last season's performance. Once Gilbert went down I didn't expect much (before then I expected us to be a bubble team), but I at least expected a team that looked like it cared. As I've said numerous times, Arkansas and Auburn were inexcusable for a UConn team.

I largely agree with this. But Gilbert hasn't played in over 2 years. I think he'll be healthy, but may be rusty. Sid is still a freshman, and while a 4 star good recruit (credit to Ollie) he's not one of those players who walks in an starts anywhere. I suspect he starts here because his competition at that spot is mediocre. I do expect Carlton and Diarra to be better, maybe Cobb and Williams too.

The Memphis losses were equally inexcusable, as were the two OT wins against bad teams.

In any event, I'm excited to see UConn basketball. That's what matters.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anyone voting for the first three categories are Hurley apologists and excuse makers.

Schedule and conference is much easier than last season which should easily give 4-5 more wins.

I’ll take Sid over Terry any day. DO is gone and if everyone was pointing to him as a major factor for how last season played out than I’m surprised with people not being more excited.

Plus you have Hurley and that should be worth an additional four or five wins.

Instead of most everyone being new to the team the majority of the team will have at least one year under their belt. Should give an additional 3-4 wins.

AG will play an entire season. KO and bad dharma are gone. An additional 6-8 wins.

My prediction is an undefeated season and NC # 5!

Reaction Score
So we pretty much know our team for next year. CV didn't get an invite, so I'll assume he is coming back.

What do you think of our chances? What do you want to see from Hurley and the staff?
We really don't know our team because there will be a huge difference with or without Gilbert and that hasn't been decided.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Trolling?

I think we can wait until he loses a game before we burn him in effigy.
Who is burning him in effigy? These guys want to throw him a parade for not making the tournament. They’re just happy the other guy is gone.

Hurley has carte blanche for at least several seasons. Anything we do well will be an indictment of the other guy because Hurley will have shown how much better he can coach the same guys; anything we do poorly will be the other guy’s fault because they’re not really Hurley’s guys, and the other guy screwed them up so badly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who is burning him in effigy? These guys want to throw him a parade for not making the tournament. They’re just happy the other guy is gone.

Hurley has carte blanche for at least several seasons. Anything we do well will be an indictment of the other guy because Hurley will have shown how much better he can coach the same guys; anything we do poorly will be the other guy’s fault because they’re not really Hurley’s guys, and the other guy screwed them up so badly.
Who has said they want to give him a parade just for making the tournament?

Agree regarding the rest, but it’s just the way things are.

Reaction Score

It's year 1 after a complete multi-year disaster. You don't know how players are going to react to being coached hard and being held accountable. All we can ask for is improvement every year until we get a couple classes in. You clearly never played or grew up around competitive sports.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You clearly never played or grew up around competitive sports.
I wasn’t sure if I had won when you rolled over with the sweet burn of “hippie lawyer.” Now I know. Lol.

Thanks for confirming. You millennial snowflakes are so easy.

Can u show us pix of ur trophies?

Reaction Score
I wasn’t sure if I had won when you rolled over with the sweet burn of “hippie lawyer.” Now I know. Lol.

Thanks for confirming. You millennial snowflakes are so easy.

Can u show us pix of ur trophies?

lmao

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom