OT: - Watching a game with a non-sports fan | The Boneyard

OT: Watching a game with a non-sports fan

Reaction Score
Although i try to isolate myself in a panic room with a 6 pack, some water and a TV when UConn is on- there will be times where a non-sports fan is in the room with you.

What things will you not tolerate from these non fans?
Do you set ground rules?
What gets to you the most?

My wife used to stare at me when uconn was down. Waiting for my reaction. Drove me nuts.
P.s. she doesn't do it anymore.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Every Super Bowl party here has several non sports fans. You just tolerate their stuff. Best one from this year:

Guys wife: "Are they going to punt?"
Guy: "It's overtime and they are down, no they are not going to punt!"

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I do not mind watching with non sports fans. I will take any questions and comments they have and try to explain/teach them what is going on in the hopes they will one day be converted. My wife hated baseball when we first started dating and now I have explained to her the intricacies of the game and "forced" her to watch approx 100 Atlanta Braves games a year over our 12 year relationship. She is now a Braves fan and enjoys going to baseball games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Although i try to isolate myself in a panic room with a 6 pack, some water and a TV when UConn is on- there will be times where a non-sports fan is in the room with you.

Do you set ground rules?

My wife used to stare at me when uconn was down. Waiting for my reaction. Drove me nuts.

Depends.

Normal game? Don’t care.

Big game? I will warn them.

Really big game? I’ll leave.

The inlaws, me and my wife were on vacation last year during the Final Four. I told my wife that I was not watching the championship game with her parents because they would say something perfectly benign and I would melt down. She asked me to try. I did.

At 6-2 San Diego State, my mother-in-law cruised by, saw the score and said, “Wow, UConn is losing”, and I left the condo and watched the rest of the game on a park bench.

Reaction Score

Do you set ground rules?

My wife is a non-sports fan, despite being such a gym freak. Ironically, we met at a UConn game when she was dragged along by some friends of friends.

We went to one game together. When I went to turn on the radio show after to hear player comments, she exlaimed "What? More of THE sports?" We haven't been since.

We have ground rules in our house. I'm allowed to do and say whatever I want, she plays on her phone. But I also am required to watch 3 hours of whatever stupid reality show she's on about as payment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll watch any Super Bowl not featuring my team with these people. I don't want to watch a Super Bowl featuring my team with them. It drives me crazy. Regular season football, depends on the game I suppose, if people are talking to each other about things other than the game, I will be fairly annoyed.

For UConn, it's similar to Fishy, but fortunately I don't know any non-sports fans that want to watch college basketball. I go out to watch with a friend at times. So my only problem is setting the expectation that no, I am not free or available to do anything else with anyone during big games. I pre-notified my wife about Marquette a few days ago so she wouldn't schedule me to do something else.

My basement man cave/home theater was really the best thing I ever did. We have as many TV viewing locations as we have people in the house. I go down there and can be left alone. Or invite any true fans over.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
My wife is a non-sports fan, despite being such a gym freak. Ironically, we met at a UConn game when she was dragged along by some friends of friends.

We went to one game together. When I went to turn on the radio show after to hear player comments, she exlaimed "What? More of THE sports?" We haven't been since.

We have ground rules in our house. I'm allowed to do and say whatever I want, she plays on her phone. But I also am required to watch 3 hours of whatever stupid reality show she's on about as payment.
Sort of the same. My wife fooled me. When we were dating, and early on in a streak of 21 straight BE tournaments I attended, she was very gung ho to go with me, and would sit through the four Thursday games - all afternoon and all evening - then the best night with two semifinals, and the final. And we had a great time, or so I thought. After getting married she was ... let's say 'less interested' in attending, which eventually became "I think I'll skip it." Oddly, her mother is a huge sports fan, mostly NHL and college hockey.

Now I watch the games I want, and as long as it doesn't conflict I watch the series du jour with her when she wants. If the conversation in the kitchen is too loud or the game is a big one, I retire to the man cave or my home office.

Reaction Score
These days, I rarely have to deal with any distractions during games, but I have family coming to visit for the game at Marquette in March.

Thankfully, they're usually pretty good about understanding not to bother me while the game is going, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
My wife has long since stopped trying to inhabit the same space as me when they're playing, but I will give her credit for one thing: during the regional finals in '14 we were at this resort called Enchantment or something in Sedona and our checkout time ran up against the MSU game. After we had overstayed our welcome by an hour or so and were getting calls from the front desk she went down to the lobby and invented a dispute with the hotel that bought me enough time for the game to end.

Reaction Score
I’m very lucky. My wife tolerates my sports watching (Favorite teams on the TV and then if she wants to watch something just for her when there’s something I want to watch, she’ll get the TV and I’ll watch next to her on my laptop.

All in-laws are sports fans, which is funny since my wife is the least sports fan of her family. Like, whenever we visit, they will work their schedules around UConn games or any March Madness games I want to watch. They're golden. No kids and two cats, so minimal distractions at home.

I guess the most annoying recent sports watching issue with people when when I watched UConn/Villanova with a large group at Bobby Vs. The actual UConn/Nova fans were fine…just the clueless people who talked all the time, but I’m good at tuning people out (I’m a middle school teacher, so I’ve got plenty of practice).

That being said, I'm home alone from 6-8:30 today, so I'm excited to watch Marquette/Butler uninterrupted today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I generally don't mind, but when people, particularly guys (cough cough my father in law), without an ounce of athletic ability yell at players to do things, it takes everything in me not to lose it.

"What are you doing! That's not gonna work! Make your foul shots come on! All he had to do was (insert crazy athletic feat)!"

Just completely out of touch with reality.

Reaction Score
My mother-in-law insists on commenting on every play as if she's been coaching the sport for 40 years. She is often oblivious to what actually happened and will be righteously indignant about some perceived error that is either fictitious or irrelevant. For example, after an opponent misses a shot:

Her: "Oh my god, UConn's offense is just awful this season."

Me: "UConn is the third best offensive team in the country. Also, UConn is wearing blue."

Her: "Oh. But still."

Reaction Score
It depends on the person. Non-sports fan that feels like they need to make comments because they can't go 30 seconds without hearing their own voice? I won't even watch the game around them. It's incredibly aggravating, but it usually only happens to me around holidays so I just avoid the TV. This person is only mildly worse than the "sports fan" that only started watching the sport when their kid joined youth sports or when they adopted part of their spouses personality.

Non-sports fans who just play on their phone? Perfect. Id rather watch with this person than a sports fan who is an idiot.

Reaction Score
It depends on the person. Non-sports fan that feels like they need to make comments because they can't go 30 seconds without hearing their own voice? I won't even watch the game around them. It's incredibly aggravating, but it usually only happens to me around holidays so I just avoid the TV. This person is only mildly worse than the "sports fan" that only started watching the sport when their kid joined youth sports or when they adopted part of their spouses personality.

Non-sports fans who just play on their phone? Perfect. Id rather watch with this person than a sports fan who is an idiot.
Non-sports fan who just plays on their phone is a very underrated sports watching companion. There is something comforting about having non-sports fan who plays on their phone in the room when a game is on. Not sure why. Good call

Reaction Score
Depends.

Normal game? Don’t care.

Big game? I will warn them.

Really big game? I’ll leave.

The inlaws, me and my wife were on vacation last year during the Final Four. I told my wife that I was not watching the championship game with her parents because they would say something perfectly benign and I would melt down. She asked me to try. I did.

At 6-2 San Diego State, my mother-in-law cruised by, saw the score and said, “Wow, UConn is losing”, and I left the condo and watched the rest of the game on a park bench.
I laughed way too much at this because I completely get it and could totally see someone in my family saying the same thing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Do you set ground rules?

I love my mom, but last year I was home with her and my brother (Dad at work) for the Iona NCAA game. It took everything in my power to not ask her to leave the house in the first half.

She doesn’t know basketball and every time @aburks41 and I yelled at the TV she would say “oh is that not good for UConn?”

My wife, on the other hand is a saint and respects all my pregame rituals / game time superstitions and even has some of her own she’s made.

Reaction Score
1986 was my freshman year at Boston U. I went to 2 ALCS games ($15 a ticket) and 2 World Series games ($25 a ticket).

For Game 6, we were in my dorm room with all rabid Sox fans, and not a single one of us uttered a word about finally winning one. There was a knock on the door and a guy comes in, non-sports fan. Strawberry is up to bat, 0-2 count, and the guy says, "2 strikes on Strawberry, that's unusual."

Right then, every Sox fan in the room knew, it was not to be. If not for that idiot, the Sox would've won the World Series in 1986.

Reaction Score
Mostly I just feel like I’m going to pop a hernia trying to keep bottled up my level of crazy that comes with watching a UConn game.

0/10, would not recommend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom