OT: - Watching a game with a non-sports fan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Watching a game with a non-sports fan

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This past season I was watching CFB one Saturday with a group of people that aren’t sports people (they don’t watch any major sporting events such as the Final Four, Golf/Tennis Majors, any baseball, hockey, CBB, CFB, etc) and I asked if we could put on the Ohio State @ Penn State game and they obliged. Within the first 5 seconds someone said “so are these teams usually pretty good?” And my jaw almost hit the ground out of shock. Then spent the entire game explaining rules, players, why it was a big game, etc. Absolutely hilarious experience. “Yeah Ohio State is typically pretty good at football”.

Reaction Score
I make sure I’m either alone or with a crowd who knows the game when it’s UConn playing. They don’t have to be UConn fans either as long as they know where they stand with me in the room. I have some UConn friends and even my son (love him to death) who I have trouble watching games with. My son, who was and is a pretty good player on his own right, is a referee all game. He sees travels that don’t exist I don’t like to continually tell him it’s not a travel, or at least not anymore.

Love watching alone lol!!!

Reaction Score
My wife is a non sports fan who grew up in a house full of sports fans. I am bad company when watching my teams. She will check in, look at the score and know what to say. If the Huskies make a basket during her visit, she will say, "I'm good luck" and leave. She is pretty smart.

Reaction Score
My ex mother in law knew nothing about sports. The ex wife would get a bunch of us together to watch a game and the ex MIL would act like every single play was life or death, overreacting to a missed layup in the first 2 minutes or a random blocked shot when it's 31-31. Instantly she was the biggest fan in the world.

"No!!!!! No no no no no!!!!!"
"Go! Get him!!!! GETTT HIMMM!!!!"

Just talking and shrieking nonstop the entire game. It was worth half my 401k to not watch games with them anymore.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I watch either by myself or with my kid who asks a lot of questions throughout the game, but I’m happy to answer because he’s into it.

My wife on the other hand, played college softball and still plays slow pitch to this day but knows next to nothing about basketball, will walk in as I’m sitting there white knuckled clutching the couch during a close game and and say “Ohhhhhh boyyy!”….

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My wife is a non-sports fan, despite being such a gym freak. Ironically, we met at a UConn game when she was dragged along by some friends of friends.

We went to one game together. When I went to turn on the radio show after to hear player comments, she exlaimed "What? More of THE sports?" We haven't been since.

We have ground rules in our house. I'm allowed to do and say whatever I want, she plays on her phone. But I also am required to watch 3 hours of whatever stupid reality show she's on about as payment.
I draw the line at reality shows.

Reaction Score
Me and my wife have been together 8 years and married two. On our second date we were talking about how well everything was going and we talked about a possible future together. She said " I think this is going to work out as long as I don't have to pretend to like UConn basketball" and I added, "and as long as I don't have to pretend to like bees "( she's a beekeeper) . We now have about 75,000 bees on our rooftop porch and she watches Stanley Robinson dunk videos before working out.

Reaction Score
Two things that my wife does while watching UConn games that I can't stand:

(1) Yell at me if I immediately turn off the game in the final seconds of a loss. She wants to see the other team celebrate and be happy for them. I will not stand for that.

(2) Make proclamations about certain players not being good based on watching a single game. Case in point: Cam Spencer during the Kansas game. After that game, she's repeatedly said that Cam isn't good - though I don't know that she's paid attention during any game since then. I don't think she appreciates when I tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Reaction Score
I might be the luckiest one here.

My wife grew up a big hoops fan in New Jersey thanks to her father--he played ball as a youngster in Newark with Al Attles, Hoddy Mahon, Hubie Brown, Raftery, etc. I loved that man, although he was a Seton Hall fan.

But my wife came over to the UConn side; the Kemba year sealed the deal. He is her all-time favorite player. Now she wears the gear and roots right along with me.

I tell her that she is a traitor to her family, to her state, and to her religion. :)

Reaction Score
My wife doesn’t watch any sports ever- but my 7 year old son is all in now. Last year we had planned a trip to see my parents in North Carolina & we were driving from Long Island, New York- months leading up to the trip my wife kept badgering me to stay half way in a hotel on the drive home from North Carolina- I kept saying no- “we are driving straight through.”

A couple of weeks prior to the trip I checked the schedule & noticed that Final Four Saturday was the same day we would be driving home from North Carolina. At that point I went to my wife & said here’s the deal- if UConn makes the final four we will stop at a hotel around 4:00PM to watch both games- she was happy- ended up being a win, win.

Don’t remember what my wife & daughter did in the room that night- but my son & I were locked in- my son started screaming when Butler from SDSU hit the pull up jumper to win the first game. The UConn game was gravy- similar to the rest of the games UConn played throughout the tourney last year.

Reaction Score
Very lucky, my wife is a huge fan of an NFL team and a Huskies fan so she understands 100% why I need to do what I do, whatever I do.

I can usually block out non-fan stuff when I am watching the game, it helps if the volume is way up regardless of who is calling the game.

I find it very difficult to be in the same zip code never mind the same bar with fans of the opposing team.

Reaction Score
My wife grew up a Whalers fan, family season tickets. Was easy to get her into our Huskies. She’s been cheering them on since Dream season. Would never watch a game with a non fan, ever!

Reaction Score
I had a fellow viewer ask me at Super Bowl party Sunday: “which team is mahomes on” and “why are they tackling the guy with the ball?” And this was after she sat there and watched the entire game -had to be like fourth-quarter/OT or something.
In addition, told my wife this is the last Sunday of football for the year (this past Sunday) until September/ then my Sundays are free, she replied with “what about Uconn and march madness? I said oh yeah, but that doesn’t count because you’re a uconn fan too right?”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watch either by myself or with my kid who asks a lot of questions throughout the game, but I’m happy to answer because he’s into it.

My wife on the other hand, played college softball and still plays slow pitch to this day but knows next to nothing about basketball, will walk in as I’m sitting there white knuckled clutching the couch during a close game and and say “Ohhhhhh boyyy!”….
I know your 2nd situation all too well. Those words. How they hurt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom