Watch out for UConn | The Boneyard

Watch out for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive been saying how silly good this years team will be this season and next season too. Think about this. We may have the 2,3,and 4th best post players in the country on one team. Stef Kiah and Bre. We have the best shooter in WCBB in KML. Now how do you defend tha?. KML and Bre will open everything up. Bria BB and Moriah are better then good. Bria will be an AA this season. Speaking of AAs how bout KML, Breanna and Stef to go along with her. With UConns Manhattan skyline in Stef Kiah and Bre forget about the twin towers. It will be like have two Tina Charles on the court at the same time defensively. Yes Stef will be that good this season, with opponets defense not being able to double down on her. We could just blow out Baylor. As silly as some of you may think that will be, I think you will see how difficult it is for opposing teams to get a shot off with Bre on the floor. Couple that with our intense pressing on the ball because no longer will UConn have to worry about someone beating them with two of the 3 towers on the floor at the same time. Its mindboogleing. This team may not have the talent that TASS & DT had but this may be the best team UConn has ever had. JMO

Husky4Life

ibleedblue
Reaction Score
UConn will dominate this year and the years to come. I'm more than excited to watch. Can the season start already?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Bria will be an AA this season. Speaking of AAs how bout KML, Breanna and Stef to go along with her.

Don't forget one of the best on defenders in college. Can we get her an AA too? Why not, it's her final season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I comprehend Nan's point but the sheer weight of talent seems unprecedented

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Poor Elizabeth Williams. She had such promise, too. Maybe she should return her National Freshman of the Year award. And I'm sure Chiney Ogwumike is just a flash in the pan, like Alyssa Thomas.

I was just going to post this about Williams..lol.

Chiney is more of a 3/4 and Thomas is not a post.

And I will say that Stokes outplayed Williams last year in their head to head. But that was only one game.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Poor Elizabeth Williams. She had such promise, too. Maybe she should return her National Freshman of the Year award. And I'm sure Chiney Ogwumike is just a flash in the pan, like Alyssa Thomas.
Nan, you shouldn't be surprised based on the source. TC is always the most enthusiastic if not always the most accurate!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The hype around UConn is exciting and may well be deserved. But Baylor will get [and deserve] preseason #1....I think they lose no starters and have a couple of good frosh coming in and may well be deeper than last year. The regular season game between Baylor and UConn may be the best in years....or ever. A rematch on April 2 in New Orleans...priceless!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
While I don't think UConn has the 3 bests posts after Griner, 3 of the top 10 is not out of the question.

That is just NUTS!

Reaction Score
I was just going to post this about Williams..lol.

Chiney is more of a 3/4 and Thomas is not a post.

And I will say that Stokes outplayed Williams last year in their head to head. But that was only one game.

Chiney is not a 3 and won't be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Williams was in foul trouble against UCONN, if I recall correctly, and never got to play her game. She is the second best post, IMO. Chimney sees more like a 4 to me. She struggled against Baylor but obviously has all the physical abilities to dominate most teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Williams was in foul trouble against UCONN, if I recall correctly, and never got to play her game. She is the second best post, IMO.
I think it was a combination of two thing that contributed to EWs performance that night - I think she was a bit overwhelmed by the moment (UConn does carry a bit of mystique for young players) and might have been trying a bit too hard. I also think Kiah Stokes had The Game of her young career so far. Then again, Kiah wasn't being asked to be one of the key players on offense but still, she was marvelous that game.

Reaction Score
... Its mindboogleing. This team may not have the talent that TASS & DT had but this may be the best team UConn has ever had. JMO
Yeah, and when JMO recovers from her ankle injury, this team will be triple-mindboogleing!!

Reaction Score
So now, not only can we not criticise other teams' players and coaches, but we can't proclaim our opinions of our own players' greatness?!?! Look, I like that we are the most intelligent and sportsmanlike fan base but the thought police are getting a bit nutty!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So now, not only can we not criticise other teams' players and coaches, but we can't proclaim our opinions of our own players' greatness?!?! Look, I like that we are the most intelligent and sportsmanlike fan base but the thought police are getting a bit nutty!
And are you saying people can't disagree with other posters?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Williams was in foul trouble against UCONN, if I recall correctly, and never got to play her game. She is the second best post, IMO. Chimney sees more like a 4 to me. She struggled against Baylor but obviously has all the physical abilities to dominate most teams.
No...Kiah handed her her ass defensively. Not saying Kiah is necessarily a better player than EW, but she did indeed go to Durham and completely neutralize her in one game.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Nan wasn't being the thought police. She didn't say it was inappropriate for Tony to post his opinion. She just injected her opinion as well. It is very unlikely that UConn has 3 of the top 4 posts in the country. Williams and Chiney (who is in no way a wing) are certainly more heralded, and while Kia showed flashes last season, I do not believe that anyone not a Husky fan would even predict she's a top 10 post. Kia struggled a bit last season, which is quite typical of freshman, even great ones. Which season did Tina Charles finally turn it on?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Nan wasn't being the thought police. She didn't say it was inappropriate for Tony to post his opinion. She just injected her opinion as well. It is very unlikely that UConn has 3 of the top 4 posts in the country. Williams and Chiney (who is in no way a wing) are certainly more heralded, and while Kia showed flashes last season, I do not believe that anyone not a Husky fan would even predict she's a top 10 post. Kia struggled a bit last season, which is quite typical of freshman, even great ones. Which season did Tina Charles finally turn it on?

Second half of Junior Year. Before that, she was, indeed, much critiqued here at The Boneyard.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My bad on Chiney. I guess Tinkle played the 3?

I still think Stokes will be a top 10 post this year. Maybe I'm just not thinking of all of the players out there that are better. I'm sure others will remind me...lol.

If you are talking just centers, I think she is definately top 10.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
While I don't think UConn has the 3 bests posts after Griner, 3 of the top 10 is not out of the question.

That is just NUTS!
A refreshing change from just 2 seasons ago!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I am really disappointed in TonyC for not giving UConn enough credit. It should 4 of the Top 5. Don't forget Ms. Tuck! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am really disappointed in TonyC for not giving UConn enough credit. It should 4 of the Top 5. Don't forget Ms. Tuck! ;)
Tony must be feeling really down today. :D

Reaction Score
Nobody is more excited about the upcoming year than me. Hell, I am like a snake coming out of hibernation when UCONN season starts, and the games are on TV. We do have the best players in America, but it is more than that. These young ladies are recruited to come to UCONN and be a part of a team. Larger than any individual. They are recruited, coached, and taught by the longest tenured pair of coaches in America. At least I think they have been together the longest ! Geno and CD have seen it all, and probably handled every kind of personality that has ever played the game.
But you see, it is way more than having the best, it is also tradition, fans, and everything above.
By the way, if I had to vote for the best all-around player in WCBB, my vote would go to EDD !

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would say that there are very few really good post players in the nation. IMO, Griner, Williams and Dolson are top notch and I think that Stewart will be in the category as well. Chiney really struggled against Baylor's front line so I will need to see more from her to put her in that category. After that group there is a pretty big drop off. Being a top 10 post doesn't really mean that you are a top player in the country. I really wish that Baylor were playing Duke next season so that we could see Williams vs. Griner.

As far as Stokes is concerned, I am not saying that she doesn't have potential, but it is hard for me to say that she will be one of the top post players in the nation based on her performance in the NCAA tourney last season. And in four games against ND she scored a total of 6 points, 4 of those coming in the Final Four game. She had no points against Baylor and Stanford. She had 4 points against Duke, although she did rebound very well. I would put Destiny Williams ahead of Stokes at this stage of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom