Warlick's time coming to a close? | The Boneyard

Warlick's time coming to a close?

Reaction Score
I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - the AD seems uninterested - but there is 1 huge difference I've noted this year:

For the first time ever, I've heard analysts openly criticize Tenn's play. That *never* happens. Criticism in general is not high in WCBB in my estimation in part because the analysts are all so invested in growing the game that they don't want to be too harsh. But the comments about Tenn from Nell Fortner and Debbie Antonelli have been telling IMHO. Mind you, they're not strong, but for long-time regular viewers, any negative statements, eg "They're standing around", "Tenn looks puzzled. C'mon it's a 2-3 zone." are quite noticeable.

Fans always complain. But when analysts are making comments...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - the AD seems uninterested - but there is 1 huge difference I've noted this year:

For the first time ever, I've heard analysts openly criticize Tenn's play. That *never* happens. Criticism in general is not high in WCBB in my estimation in part because the analysts are all so invested in growing the game that they don't want to be too harsh. But the comments about Tenn from Nell Fortner and Debbie Antonelli have been telling IMHO. Mind you, they're not strong, but for long-time regular viewers, any negative statements, eg "They're standing around", "Tenn looks puzzled. C'mon it's a 2-3 zone." are quite noticeable.

Fans always complain. But when analysts are making comments...
your question "Warlick's time coming to a close" gets this reaction from me (HELL NO)

tumblr_llielt6Tff1qaimf2o1_500.gif

I have not watched a lot of games, but analysts have often pointed out (in games I've seen) that Tenn's offense is stagnant and filled with a lot of 1 on 1 play. Our BY armchair analysts have pointed out that Tenn's problem is that Holly teaches the same offense and defense Pat did, and it was old school even before Pat retired. Add to it that Holly lacks Pat's personality and charisma and is unable to get her team to play with the intensity Pat did, which is what is required for a team to be above average when they have no offense, and rely on defense and athleticism to win games...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am not one to defend anything TN related, but during the AL game in the 4th quarter Debbie Antonelli pointed out that Holly called out for a 3/4 court press yet her kids acted like they didn't have a clue and were just running around (paraphrasing here).

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not sure as of right now. But, if they flame out early in the SEC tourney, and then don't advance to the Sweet Sixteen, I could see her being fired. Have no idea what she is owed on her contract; sometimes the buyout is the determining factor.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
'Bama seems to have Tennessee's number in recent years.

All I ask is, if Holly is fired please send Westbrook to Corvallis, OR. She should've picked a different shade of orange, she would be receiving much better coaching/tutelage if she had.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that TN will work hard to get football going... and not pay credence to anything else....

The Holly fans will cite.... 19 and 5 aint bad.... but wow they did not look good

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Don't see Holly being fired. She's got a winning record and her teams remain competetive, for the most part.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He doesn't (or doesn't merely?) seem disinterested; he recently went on record in support of Holly:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-lady-vols-phillip-fulmer-holly-warlick

“When you follow a legend like Pat Summitt, that’s a very difficult thing,” said Fulmer, who was working on his College Football Hall of Fame career at Tennessee at the same time Summitt was leading the women’s basketball program to unprecedented heights and national titles.

“I think she has worn it very well.”

... Fulmer coached 16 seasons of football at Tennessee, and his youngest daughter, Allison, was a member of Tennessee’s elite softball program. If anyone understands the dynamics of how seasons go, it’s Fulmer.

“They’ve kind of hit a freshman wall a little bit, and we have to get over that,” Fulmer said, offering his take on the Lady Vols’ recent struggles. “I think Holly will do fine.”

... Fulmer recognizes the importance of Tennessee women’s basketball, so it is not a program he’ll overlook.

But for now, the Tennessee athletic director feels good about Warlick and the Lady Vols, who are 10-1 at home.

“We have great attendance there, there’s always going to be someone not happy about everything,” Fulmer said. “Holly has done a nice job, and a really good job of recruiting.

“Last year chemistry wasn’t exactly beneficial to the success, and this group of freshmen has done really well early.”​

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
'Bama seems to have Tennessee's number in recent years.

All I ask is, if Holly is fired please send Westbrook to Corvallis, OR. She should've picked a different shade of orange, she would be receiving much better coaching/tutelage if she had.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but if she were the type of kid interested in being coached up, she wouldn't have chosen Tennessee.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't mean to sound harsh, but if she were the type of kid interested in being coached up, she wouldn't have chosen Tennessee.

That might be true. I think her finalists were Tennessee of course, Oregon St., Notre Dame and maybe Maryland. Kind of a mixed bag on the quality of the coaches for the programs she was looking at.

There's just something weird w/ how top Oregon high school players keep buying into the mystique of Tennessee.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I believe Holly has one year left on her contract after this year. Holly's future will probably be known prior to the start of next season. If she doesn't receive a Contract Extension prior to the start of next season, then she'll be coaching for her job next year. I suspect if the Lady Vols host in the tournament and make it to the Sweet 16, she'll get the contract extension. She has a good Won/Loss Record of 149/51 that many AD's would love to see out of their WBB program. She has another good recruiting class going to Knoxville and she'll be given at least to next year to return the Lady Vols to one of the Elite of the SEC. So Carolina and Miss St graduate some of their best players and next year the Lady Vols may be back on top of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Last night was terrible. LVs looked like the past two seasons with no one really interested in getting open or figuring out how to beat a simple zone.

They are better overall than the last two seasons but the freshmen have hit a wall, it’s late in the year and the scouting report is out on how to stop UT. I said last year Warlick should get a chance to coach these freshmen and she has. There has been some improvement this year but they still have work to do before getting back to a high level.

I doubt Warlick is fired. UT is worried much more about football. I do hope the freshmen stay together in a way most classes don’t seem to anymore because they have been solid and UT will need them to make up for losing Russell and Nared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I honestly wonder what she tells these recruits to get them to go there. The kids can all see games on TV, and what do they think?

Reaction Score
your question "Warlick's time coming to a close" gets this reaction from me (HELL NO)

tumblr_llielt6Tff1qaimf2o1_500.gif

I have not watched a lot of games, but analysts have often pointed out (in games I've seen) that Tenn's offense is stagnant and filled with a lot of 1 on 1 play. Our BY armchair analysts have pointed out that Tenn's problem is that Holly teaches the same offense and defense Pat did, and it was old school even before Pat retired. Add to it that Holly lacks Pat's personality and charisma and is unable to get her team to play with the intensity Pat did, which is what is required for a team to be above average when they have no offense, and rely on defense and athleticism to win games...

Holly was a student of Pat, even as an assistant, as such all she knew and all she saw was Pat's methods. Holly does not have Pat FIRE, determination, energy. Those three attributes separated Pat and Geno from the pack. Holly even with a flame thrower will never have that FIRE in her belly. I have preached for a few years it's time for Holly to go. \
As CharlieBall pointed out Holly is a good recruiter so Tn keep the recruiter, fire the coach. This year appears to have been one of her best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom