Warlick's time coming to a close? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Warlick's time coming to a close?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Maybe she and Kevin Ollie can go start an AAU team somewhere. Sounds more appropriate to their abilities.

Now that's harsh - true but harsh

Reaction Score
I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - the AD seems uninterested - but there is 1 huge difference I've noted this year:

For the first time ever, I've heard analysts openly criticize Tenn's play. That *never* happens. Criticism in general is not high in WCBB in my estimation in part because the analysts are all so invested in growing the game that they don't want to be too harsh. But the comments about Tenn from Nell Fortner and Debbie Antonelli have been telling IMHO. Mind you, they're not strong, but for long-time regular viewers, any negative statements, eg "They're standing around", "Tenn looks puzzled. C'mon it's a 2-3 zone." are quite noticeable.

Fans always complain. But when analysts are making comments...
I’ve heard analyst openly criticize Tenn play before this year several times.

Reaction Score
So right. At least Ollie (once the darling of the NBA Future Coaches Association) has an idea. Holly is clueless. Last year many on the Lady Vol site and here on the BY were convinced that Diamond was the problem. Or Cooper was the problem. Or Diamond and Cooper where the problems. Many here and on Rocky Top called their leaving "Addition by subtraction". But I kept saying, it ain't the players people, it's Holly and her antiquated system and lack of offensive basketball teaching skills. It's also here inability to recruit for effort and then use the bench as a teacher. It's also her poor on court decisions and puzzling use of TO's. It has been and still is all Holly. And Ollie.
You are right it is Holly but how does she recruit so well with it being common knowledge how challenged she is as a coach?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Tennessee will have the most talented roster next season (not a new concept, recently even). Not necessarily the best team, but the most talented roster.

Let’s see what Warlick does with this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why that is precisely why I watch them! The quavering voice, the lost look scanning the room ... priceless.

Holly Warlick Press Conference - Alabama
This is one of the most painful post game pressers I can remember. I have a couple random thoughts:

- Some have suggested that the problems with TN in previous years had more to do with team chemistry issues centered on DD, Cooper & others. Clearly, TN has problems that are endemic to HW’s program.

- HW has reached a level of frustration that has her now throwing her team under the bus. That’s new for HW.

- As HW talked about her team’s lack of effort, I could not help but think about Geno’s comment to his team last year that, “at UConn we don’t teach effort.”

Reaction Score
Strange as this may seem but the best two quarters of basketball I’ve seen played this year are
1. UConn’s 1st quarter over L’Ville
2. Tenn 1st quarter over ND

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
CHW, as the Voles, err...Viles.... Sorry, the VOLS call her, is deserving of not one, but two Nobel Prizes.

"Laydeez an Gennulmin, I call your attention to Ms. Holly Warlick, this year's winner of the prizes for alchemy and metaphysics. She has turned a record number of fine and talented young basketball players into something the forum software will not allow, but which shares many characteristics with Milorganite™*"

* What is Milorganite? :: Milorganite

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You are right it is Holly but how does she recruit so well with it being common knowledge how challenged she is as a coach?
I'll leave that to the mind readers in world who can reliably predict the mind of a 16 and 17 year old. It's my personal belief however that the Lady Vol name, the campus, and her pitch which tells them "Come to Rocky Top and be a star in the SEC" that are big factors. I also think Holly herself is personable and ingratiating.

Reaction Score
I think HW(and there are many others who have fallen into this category) of being an assistant or associate or just a #2 to a great, prominent #1 just aren't cut out for the role of the leader. Taking it further it's much harder to think of the few who have come close, or matched, or yet exceeded their mentor.
Yes she sure must be a great recruiter and probably filled that role superbly as #2. It's especially hard in today's world where almost every second or comment is publicly available. In an idealistic world one could delegate certain responsibilities to their assistants or associates but including managing a game and motivating players I can't see working too well.
It brings me to Geno & CD. Their partnership maybe unmatched in sports but how would CD do if she either had left U Conn (sure there were many offers) or ultimately takes over when Geno retires. From what I see and hear she doesn't want those headaches and responsibilities. She is so very humble and one could see how uncomfortable she was talking about herself with her being accepted into the HOF. I believe she would do
Much better than HW as a head coach but wouldn't excel. Finding the person who can follow this twosome will be almost impossible task. I don't expect they could repeat what Geno and CD have done but remaining a top notch program would itself be very difficult.
I am not privy to most of what will go into this decision, which likely is not that far off, and from my vantage point Shea Ralph might be the choice. I'd guess that the candidate pool will be enormous with many very capable choices.
The other issue that's part of this equation is the importance of loyalty. In my mind it's amongst the most important aspects of life and is also essential to building a great anything be it family, company or sports team. BUT, there can come a time where one has to look at where things are at, and decide if going against loyalty is the right thing to do. I can think of two extreme but very public examples of the Penn State football program and the Catholic Church, where loyalty carried to its ends, can lead to horrible outcomes not just for the individuals harmed (which should have been foremost) but to the institutions themselves.
Maybe UT values their loyalty to HW and the memory of Pat Summitt more than remaining an elite program. If that was or is the decision I can respect that!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
IMO, if Tennessee decides it is time for a change. They ask her to retire or resign on her own. She is a 3-time AA! She is the first athlete at Tenn. to have her number retired! What Pat did at Tenn. will never be duplicated. She needs to concentrate on the SEC titles. This is called reality. When Geno retires the same will happen to Uconn but to what extent nobody can say until then.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
CHW, as the Voles, err...Viles.... Sorry, the VOLS call her, is deserving of not one, but two Nobel Prizes.

"Laydeez an Gennulmin, I call your attention to Ms. Holly Warlick, this year's winner of the prizes for alchemy and metaphysics. She has turned a record number of fine and talented young basketball players into something the forum software will not allow, but which shares many characteristics with Milorganite™*"

* What is Milorganite? :: Milorganite

What now astonishes me is how highly rated players continue to accept scholarships at Tennessee. And if they have aspirations of WNBA etc. just look at how that has been working out. Do these kids, their parents, their AAU coaches simply wish away the evidence of major problems in that program? I simply don't get it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What are people on this board thinking? Holly is an excellent coach, really superb, outstanding in my opinion..;);), no really leave her alone.

Now look into my eyes Phil, repeat after me, Holly is special, she’s good for Tennessee basketball, you WILL extend her contract.. at the count 3, you will wake up...1...2...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Their players are standing around and doing a lot of 1 on 1? As of today they have 434 assists on 746 made baskets. So, 58% of their baskets are assisted. Does not sound like 1 on 1 BB to me. We are 568 on 872 or 66%.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Their players are standing around and doing a lot of 1 on 1? As of today they have 434 assists on 746 made baskets. So, 58% of their baskets are assisted. Does not sound like 1 on 1 BB to me. We are 568 on 872 or 66%.
Not sure who you are referencing, but in her post game presser, HW’s criticism of her team was not so much directed at TN’s offense. She criticized the effort of her defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee will have the most talented roster next season (not a new concept, recently even). Not necessarily the best team, but the most talented roster.

Let’s see what Warlick does with this.
Wait that is what was said last year. The year before that was wait until Diamond gets fully healthy. The year before that was wait until Mercedes gets healthy. The year before that was these are really Pat's recruits wait until Holly get her own recruits and has a chance to put her own stamp on the program. The year before that was Pat's shadow was looming too larger.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it has been mentioned on the BY and Volnation, but effort can't be coached. IT MUST BE DEMANDED. Here is where CHW fails.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Really off topic, but Boeheim has been mentioned in several posts. No comparison at all between he and Warlick. Not only a Championship, but 5 Final 4's spread over 4 decades, including a couple times w/ teams that just weren't that good but started playing well at the right time. And he could possibly become the only coach to ever reach 1000 wins TWICE!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regardless of the numbers it is not team basketball that is being played at TN. ?
Against a 2 x 3 zone TN could not get a paint touch off as pass in the crucial minutes of the AL game and that was just pathetic.

Reaction Score
Love the use of Schadenfreude. Now I just have to know if " at the summit of their discontent" was intended as a pun, or if you just stumbled into it. Well played!

Okay, I admit it, summit was a dig, more salt into the wound.

Reaction Score
Wow.. what is more painful than listening to a post game presser with HW.... We didn't stick to the game plan.... we did not have consistent ball pressure.... we didn't guard the 3 pt shooters there are many things we didn't do.... our play was uninspired.... we were too casual.... a total lack of effort.....

These are all things under control of the head coach.... as much as she wants to blame the players..... she runs the show.... if someone isn't doing it, sit them down....

It is sad seeing this sort of effort at home, seeing The Summitt logo on the floor..... I know Holly was Pat's chosen pick to be the coach.... but she has long been the issue

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is one of the most painful post game pressers I can remember. I have a couple random thoughts:

Having watched a bunch of HW pressers over the years (but not for a while) I thought that this one was one of her more coherent ones.

I could do a little research (but probably won't), but there were a bunch in the last
few years that were really doozies of a depressed, saddened, unknowing coach, at a complete loss to even string meaningful sentences together; seemingly in a state of shock and in complete and total bewilderment at the lack of proficiency from her charges that she had just witnessed.

What is absolutely consistent with her past, post-game efforts is a complete and utter inability to take any responsibility for what had just occurred.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why that is precisely why I watch them! The quavering voice, the lost look scanning the room ... priceless.

Holly Warlick Press Conference - Alabama
Martin Sheen should play her in the movie. Their mouths are identical...

MartinSheenDisgusted-640x480.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow.. what is more painful than listening to a post game presser with HW.... We didn't stick to the game plan.... we did not have consistent ball pressure.... we didn't guard the 3 pt shooters there are many things we didn't do.... our play was uninspired.... we were too casual.... a total lack of effort.....

These are all things under control of the head coach.... as much as she wants to blame the players..... she runs the show.... if someone isn't doing it, sit them down....

It is sad seeing this sort of effort at home, seeing The Summitt logo on the floor..... I know Holly was Pat's chosen pick to be the coach.... but she has long been the issue
Agreed. Geno had Megan on the floor for 2 minutes against L'ville. She had 2 assists, and played 2 minutes, and obviously did something, so he planted her butt on the bench and she didn't see a second of PT the rest of the game. A few years back he benched Stewie and Tuck for almost an entire game. After the Tulsa game, he unloaded on the team even tho they won by 18.

IMHO Holly does not hold the players accountable. All she does is whine about it at press conferences when the don't do what they are supposed to. Well guess what? Stop coaching to solely "win" the game, and coach to teach your team to get better. If that means sitting 4 of your 5 starters for the entire half, putting in the reserves, getting walloped and taking a loss, then so be it - the team will know you mean business.

Instead, she leaves players in who aren't doing what they apparently are supposed to, and then whines about it after the game. My advice to her - grow a pair, and coach the team like a leader instead of like a friend or companion.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
IMO, if Tennessee decides it is time for a change. They ask her to retire or resign on her own. She is a 3-time AA! She is the first athlete at Tenn. to have her number retired! What Pat did at Tenn. will never be duplicated. She needs to concentrate on the SEC titles. This is called reality. When Geno retires the same will happen to Uconn but to what extent nobody can say until then.
The cold hard truth that AD Fullmer must say to her is, "You are a Lady Vol for Life, just like I am Tenn Vol for Life, I know it's not what you want, but what's best for the program is for you to resign with dignity. I will keep you on the AD Staff as a consultant, because, let's face it, no other D1 program would ever hire you as a Head Coach."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom