Warlick's time coming to a close? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warlick's time coming to a close?

Reaction Score
Not sure as of right now. But, if they flame out early in the SEC tourney, and then don't advance to the Sweet Sixteen, I could see her being fired. Have no idea what she is owed on her contract; sometimes the buyout is the determining factor.

The team wins to many games for her to get fired and I doubt they would be willing to paid her $665,000.00 a year to not coach the team. She'll coach thru end of her contract.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I honestly wonder what she tells these recruits to get them to go there. The kids can all see games on TV, and what do they think?
Holly probably promised what very easy to deliver- minutes. Freshmen Davis played all 40 minutes of the game. Freshmen Westbrook played 22 minutes even though she was injured. Freshemen Hayes played 21 minutes. Even freshmen KK played 5 minutes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - the AD seems uninterested - but there is 1 huge difference I've noted this year:

For the first time ever, I've heard analysts openly criticize Tenn's play. That *never* happens. Criticism in general is not high in WCBB in my estimation in part because the analysts are all so invested in growing the game that they don't want to be too harsh. But the comments about Tenn from Nell Fortner and Debbie Antonelli have been telling IMHO. Mind you, they're not strong, but for long-time regular viewers, any negative statements, eg "They're standing around", "Tenn looks puzzled. C'mon it's a 2-3 zone." are quite noticeable.

Fans always complain. But when analysts are making comments...
YOU'RE BACK!!!! Glad to have you posting again. I hope your work schedule has panned out nicely for you and yours.

While many "experts" on these boards and others have noted Holly's shortcomings as a coach, her $650k+ salary for next year, the red ink on the Tennessee budget (due to paying past football/basketball coaches, lawsuits from the merger of two athletic departments), the fact old friend Phil Fullmer is now the AD, improvement in W/L record from the past two years and another top recruiting class coming in, tells me she's safe.

The other thing to consider is until WCBB can find another program to openly question, we need Holly...:p

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Boeheim has won a championship though...
True...but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. Heck even Sylvia Hatchell and Carolyn Peck have one/won title...just sayin'

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That might be true. I think her finalists were Tennessee of course, Oregon St., Notre Dame and maybe Maryland. Kind of a mixed bag on the quality of the coaches for the programs she was looking at.

There's just something weird w/ how top Oregon high school players keep buying into the mystique of Tennessee.

To me that's not a mixed bag so much as three very good/great coaches and Holly. Maybe not everyone rates Frese, though?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I believe Holly has one year left on her contract after this year. Holly's future will probably be known prior to the start of next season. If she doesn't receive a Contract Extension prior to the start of next season, then she'll be coaching for her job next year. I suspect if the Lady Vols host in the tournament and make it to the Sweet 16, she'll get the contract extension. She has a good Won/Loss Record of 149/51 that many AD's would love to see out of their WBB program. She has another good recruiting class going to Knoxville and she'll be given at least to next year to return the Lady Vols to one of the Elite of the SEC. So Carolina and Miss St graduate some of their best players and next year the Lady Vols may be back on top of the SEC.

How many years are we going to do the "wait until next year" thing with Tennessee? Yes, there will be no Vivians or Wilson in the SEC, but don't worry, Warlick will find a way for Tennessee to sink to mediocrity.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If I were Phil Fullmer, I would take a few minutes and promote holly to an emeritus position where she can stay engaged with recruits and donors, then steal a good coach while TN has the talent on board to recapture some glory. I bet Orangutan will take the job.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After TN lost to Bama yesterday, just for the fun of it, I went over to VolNation to check out the game thread. What absolutely stunned me was the level of negatively and gallows humor that pervaded the game thread, even before the opening tip. I thought most Vol fans were pretty upbeat so far this season. Outside of Margo, I'm not sure that's true. Whether or not the administration will ever elect to replace HW remains to be seen, but if the TN fans get to vote, she'd be gone tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Are there enough boneyarders here to maybe start a keep Holly fund and maybe we can all chip in $10 bucks or so and send it in to the Tinnowsee athletic department if they will keep Holly in her present job? We could at least defray some of her salary.:D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True...but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. Heck even Sylvia Hatchell and Carolyn Peck have one titles...just sayin'
Geno ribbed his friend Jim Boeheim and said the anyone could have coached that team to a championship. “Give the ball to Carmelo [Anthony] - how hard is that?” is a direct quote.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe Holly has one year left on her contract after this year. Holly's future will probably be known prior to the start of next season. If she doesn't receive a Contract Extension prior to the start of next season, then she'll be coaching for her job next year. I suspect if the Lady Vols host in the tournament and make it to the Sweet 16, she'll get the contract extension.
If an AD allows a head coach to go into their final contract year with no public announcement of a contract, they are a "lame duck" coach and it affects recruiting.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am not one to defend anything TN related, but during the AL game in the 4th quarter Debbie Antonelli pointed out that Holly called out for a 3/4 court press yet her kids acted like they didn't have a clue and were just running around (paraphrasing here).

I noticed that, too. Also a remark about horrible (or possibly defeated) body language. As has been pointed out, considering the source, those are pretty scathing remarks.

Reaction Score
Coach Warlick isn't being fired. She has one year left on her contract and makes about $600k. It would be dumb to fire her now.

How do you define dumb? Just like with Ollie, it might also be dumb not to fire them.

Reaction Score
Maybe she and Kevin Ollie can go start an AAU team somewhere. Sounds more appropriate to their abilities.
Ooooh, that's not nice. I thought NBA Ollie would be their key to getting the one and dones.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - the AD seems uninterested - but there is 1 huge difference I've noted this year:

For the first time ever, I've heard analysts openly criticize Tenn's play. That *never* happens. Criticism in general is not high in WCBB in my estimation in part because the analysts are all so invested in growing the game that they don't want to be too harsh. But the comments about Tenn from Nell Fortner and Debbie Antonelli have been telling IMHO. Mind you, they're not strong, but for long-time regular viewers, any negative statements, eg "They're standing around", "Tenn looks puzzled. C'mon it's a 2-3 zone." are quite noticeable.

Today, Vol Nation posts were particularly virulent, the pitchfork-carrying hordes storming the castle at the sumitt of their discontent. I've stopped watching Holly's post-game pressers as they are too painful, as close to the definition of coaching purgatory as can be imagined. With Warlick, we've gone way beyond Schadenfreude, transcending the satisfaction of Tennessee on the ropes, to pleading for the referee to pick up the towel and stop the bleeding.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Glad to see that you are back.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Today, Vol Nation posts were particularly virulent, the pitchfork-carrying hordes storming the castle at the sumitt of their discontent. I've stopped watching Holly's post-game pressers as they are too painful, as close to the definition of coaching purgatory as can be imagined. With Warlick, we've gone way beyond Schadenfreude, transcending the satisfaction of Tennessee on the ropes, to pleading for the referee to pick up the towel and stop the bleeding.
Love the use of Schadenfreude. Now I just have to know if " at the summit of their discontent" was intended as a pun, or if you just stumbled into it. Well played!

Reaction Score
I honestly wonder what she tells these recruits to get them to go there. The kids can all see games on TV, and what do they think?
It's the history of the program. If Holly is let go after this season, I expect to see Green and Massengill stick.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe she and Kevin Ollie can go start an AAU team somewhere. Sounds more appropriate to their abilities.
So right. At least Ollie (once the darling of the NBA Future Coaches Association) has an idea. Holly is clueless. Last year many on the Lady Vol site and here on the BY were convinced that Diamond was the problem. Or Cooper was the problem. Or Diamond and Cooper where the problems. Many here and on Rocky Top called their leaving "addition by subtraction". But I kept saying, it ain't the players people, it's Holly and her antiquated system and lack of offensive basketball teaching skills. It's also here inability to recruit for effort and then use the bench as a teacher. It's also her poor on court decisions and puzzling use of TO's. It has been and still is all Holly. And Ollie.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom