WaPo: Sally Jenkins says Mulkey dropped the ball... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WaPo: Sally Jenkins says Mulkey dropped the ball...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually, the score of that particular competition is TN 2 - UConn 1.

None of the three could be construed as deliberate violations.
i did not know that. what was the other violation for Tennessee?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the past, folks have howled at AAU coaches being hired (Purdue) because it gives a college program an inside track (as if student-athletes are pigs being led to slaughter w/ no will of their own). Should there be a rule that no AAU coach should be allowed to join a college staff in their state, thus preventing that narrow line from being walked? Should they self-report possible violations?
AAU coaches and parents? Andy Landers hired Tasha Humphrey's mother, Brenda Hill previously a high school assistant coach, in the summer between Tasha's sophomore and junior year of high school. Lo and behold, Tasha committed to Georgia. Tasha was ranked #6 by ASGR and was a Parade All-American 1st teamer as a junior.

Reaction Score
It is over and done with. Time to move on.

No, what's unfortunate is that the issue is far from over and done with. Mulkey & Co. have done a great job of setting precedent for years to come regarding how to bend the rules of recruiting, and the NCAA has shown the rest of the country that all it results in is a slap on the wrist.

What's most sickening to me is the GG point made in the article. It literally may have affected the job of another high-profile professional within the game that, as far as we know, made sure to abide by the rules. The only reason this is acceptable to you is because you are on the side taking the heat. If you flipped Baylor with Texas, and Mulkey was the one fired after GG led Texas to an undefeated NC, you would be livid.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing, ETT, is that Kim and her staff KNOWINGLY broke the rules. Kim knew she shouldn't have been having inappropriate contact with Griner's family, in spite of the excuse that her kid was playing too. she used her daughter as a pawn to get closer to Brit's family. Additionally, you must believe she and her staff knew exactly what, when, and how often texts and contact with recruits was allowed. over 1,000 is not some inadvertent accident.

so now, Kim has the unfortunate stigma as cheater extraordinaire. Heck, there's zero evidence Geno has EVER cheated or done anything untoward to get a recruit (Maya specifically) but that doesn't stop some orange fans from screaming into the wind that Geno's a cheater. now we have actual proof that Kim went off the rails.

You'd get way more mileage in here if you admitted it was slimy, sneaky, against the rules, and that she knew full well what she was doing. which is true. And now she's going to pay the price FOREVER for her indiscretions. Cheater is a moniker that will follow her around for the rest of her career...

i'm not saying Mulkey is Satan, or should be fired. i do agree the punishment does not fit the crime, but that's the NCAA. but in the court of public opinion, she's clearly a loser on this one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
AAU coaches and parents? Andy Landers hired Tasha Humphrey's mother, Brenda Hill previously a high school assistant coach, in the summer between Tasha's sophomore and junior year of high school. Lo and behold, Tasha committed to Georgia. Tasha was ranked #6 by ASGR and was a Parade All-American 1st teamer as a junior.
Exactly, it was wrong then, too, it is always quid pro quo. That is why I think the staffing rule I suggested is important and a good first step.

Reaction Score
The problem is that, indeed, all she and Baylor received was a slap on the wrist, and the reduction of a couple of scholarships that most D-1 coaches don't use anyway....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You'd get way more mileage in here if you admitted it was slimy, sneaky, against the rules, and that she knew full well what she was doing. which is true. And now she's going to pay the price FOREVER for her indiscretions. Cheater is a moniker that will follow her around for the rest of her career...

Since the NCAA will not deal with it it is up to the fans to voice their discontent. Every game next year Mulkey should be greeted with cheers of "cheater" when she takes the court until she stands up and takes ownership of her real actions. The walk of shame at the start of each game.

None of it is the kids' fault and how can one expect integrity from kids when this is the example. It is all Mulkey's alone and she needs to own the whole thing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
One other thing, ETT, is that Kim and her staff KNOWINGLY broke the rules. Kim knew she shouldn't have been having inappropriate contact with Griner's family, in spite of the excuse that her kid was playing too. she used her daughter as a pawn to get closer to Brit's family. Additionally, you must believe she and her staff knew exactly what, when, and how often texts and contact with recruits was allowed. over 1,000 is not some inadvertent accident.

so now, Kim has the unfortunate stigma as cheater extraordinaire. Heck, there's zero evidence Geno has EVER cheated or done anything untoward to get a recruit (Maya specifically) but that doesn't stop some orange fans from screaming into the wind that Geno's a cheater. now we have actual proof that Kim went off the rails.

ran out of gas long ago in my book... but Im just a bypasser. Showing off that new car with the shiny wheels, smling from ear to ear but sitting on the side of the road... out of gas!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
does Mulkey have any other young daughters coming up in the AAU circuits?

who's next KB-A, Jen R, Caldwell,...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Two Points:

1)Taken from the NCAA report. The paragraph I posted was from the Introduction section of the report, linked here: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/baylor+public+inf+report

This was the institution's sixth major infractions case, the institution having appeared before the committee most recently in 2005 for a case involving the men's basketball and football programs.
As a result of its 2005 case, the institution is considered a "repeat violator" under NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2.1.1.

Yet based on the above they let Baylor pick its punishment, like Andy Griffith let Otis come and go when he was drunk in Mayberry.

2) Also from the Introduction part of the NCAA report, linked above.
Information about potential violations in this case first came to light during an October 26, 2008, interview conducted by the enforcement staff with then prospective student-athlete ("prospect 1") and the prospect's father.
The NCAA took three and a half years to make a decision on what to do? They basically let Baylor and Ms Mulkey have three free years to win a championship with the top player in WBB, before coming down "hard" on Baylor. Geez, if ND had beat Baylor would they have waited one more year before deciding what to do?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I did not realize it was Baylor's sixth time with major infractions before the NCAA. That makes the response and handling of this completely unacceptable. Also, Nan, mentioned early on the issue of institutional control. Were there any penalties in toto for that issue?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
As I said early on when the report first surfaced, none of this passes the smell test. I challenge anyone to name another program that had SIX players from the same AAU team on its roster. The real rogue in all of this may well be McKinney but Mulkey exhibited exceedingly poor judgement as well. (And that's being kind.) Throwing some nameless, faceless compliance official under the bus just doesn't cut it.

Reaction Score
Since the NCAA will not deal with it it is up to the fans to voice their discontent. Every game next year Mulkey should be greeted with cheers of "cheater" when she takes the court until she stands up and takes ownership of her real actions. The walk of shame at the start of each game.

None of it is the kids' fault and how can one expect integrity from kids when this is the example. It is all Mulkey's alone and she needs to own the whole thing.

Yeah, that's a really grown up response.

JS

Reaction Score
i did not know that. what was the other violation for Tennessee?
Giving a player extra helpings, as compared with other students, in the cafeteria.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Giving a player extra helpings, as compared with other students, in the cafeteria.
OMG seriously? well i dislike Tennessee as much as the next fan, but that seems a little over the top. i wonder how it even got reported. maybe another non-hoops student complained?

JS

Reaction Score
i wonder how it even got reported. maybe another non-hoops student complained?
It was reported to be self-reported by the school, according to reports on NCAA reporting. How it got reported to the staff is unreported. But it reportedly concerned desserts. So maybe a jealous chocoholic reported it.

images

I have it on good authority, though, that the whole thing was engineered to put the NCAA off its guard. "Geez," they said, "if Tennessee is such a bunch of damned fools as to report this piece of nothing, we don't have to worry about THEM." And, with the NCAA looking the other way, it made possible the gifts of cars, do-nothing jobs and houses for players and their parents that we all JUST KNOW followed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Mulkey has repented and deserves forgiveness.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It was reported to be self-reported by the school, according to reports on NCAA reporting. How it got reported to the staff is unreported. But it reportedly concerned desserts. So maybe a jealous chocoholic reported it.

images

Really? You are saying it was a case of un-just desserts? I had recalled that it was a malapropos mound of mash potatoes.

images

Your theory does seem to hold more weight...so to speak.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
ETT--

Lesson #1 in writing to this board: know when to cool it.
Lesson #2 in writing to this board is to pay attention when ICE speaks - ICE is a truly kind, understanding person.
Lesson#3: this was a matter of ethics, and like it or not Kim Mulkey failed the test.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's a really grown up response.
It serves the specific purpose of making the fans displeasure with with the NCAA and Mulkey evident. I is about applying pressure. Occupy Waco. If nothing else it makes it clear to all involved that the fans of WCBB do not want the cloud of this type of behavior considered acceptable. Sometimes shaming is the only power a group has to force reform.

If you prefer something more subtle let everyone stand and turn their backs as she takes the court or is announced. The power is in consistent and unified messaging.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Mulkey has repented and deserves forgiveness.
No she hasn't she has minimized her responsibility and attempted to scapegoat it. She and the program suggested a joke of a penalty which has/d no real possibility of impact. When she does accept and admits the extent of the appropriate behavior then she does deserve full and complete forgiveness. People offered minimal penalties and cheap grace to Rene P., too, and she never did reform her behavior and we all know the mess that resulted in.

One does wonder how a Baptist school has run a foul of the NCAA 6 times. Repentance is a term meaning to take a new path.

Reaction Score
Mulkey did`nt repent. She blew it off by blaming the compliance department and claimed that sitting with the multiple recruits` parents in the parents section was just being a good mother. Does she really think her daughter would care if she sat in the coaches section. Come on, who`s she kidding?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ETT--

Lesson #1 in writing to this board: know when to cool it.
Lesson #2 in writing to this board is to pay attention when ICE speaks - ICE is a truly kind, understanding person.
Lesson#3: this was a matter of ethics, and like it or not Kim Mulkey failed the test.
I agree with Lesson #1 & #3 :p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with Lesson #1 & #3 :p
That's because I always use tough love with you. :rolleyes:
#2 is embarrassing for me, too, but I couldn't think of how too address it. I appreciate AW's thought but was hoping it was irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom