WaPo: Sally Jenkins says Mulkey dropped the ball... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WaPo: Sally Jenkins says Mulkey dropped the ball...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
That's because I always use tough love with you. :rolleyes:
#2 is embarrassing for me, too, but I couldn't think of how too address it. I appreciate AW's thought but was hoping it was irony.
ICE--

Re: #2: Irony, no. Perhaps because I really do agree with you all the time! And 'cause we've never met!!!:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks, AW, but just another flawed human being. Sometimes I do better and sometimes I do worse.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Just to be clear -- I wasn't talking about the nature of the punishment. I was talking about the (to my eyes/ears) seemed implication but Jenkins that the violations were known about and not acted upon...

The punishment doesn't suit.

Reaction Score
One reason why these punishments often don't seem severe enough is because the people that sit on the committees are also employed at various athletic departments. They know it could very well be their school sitting in judgement one day.

Calipari does that every time he gets caught too....
....Or resigns and pops up somewhere else :p

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
in jest and with apologies to W.S. Gilbert:

A more humane decision never
Did in the league exist,
To nobody second,
they’re certainly reckoned
Such true philanthropists.
It is the very humane endeavour
To make, to some extent,
Each evil liver
A running river
Of harmless merriment

The object all sublime
Which shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!

All prosy dull society sinners,
Who chatter and bleat and bore,
Are sent to hear sermons
From mystical Germans
Who preach from ten till four. (Sorry Ice)

The coach basketball who then texts one and all
And sits chatting where she should not be
But Oh my the restriction!
Says she, no conviction just
mea culpas to all she can see

The object all sublime
Has not achieved this time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
The message seemingly sent
Such poorly represent
the rules with which this league was meant!
indeed the rules were bent!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What do you think would have been an appropriate punishment?

Reaction Score
While many would like to see a harsher punishment, it's difficult to come up with one that won't be effectively punishing the current Baylor student athletes. As far as I understand, the athletes themselves did nothing wrong, if anything they are actually victims of these infractions (though given the program's success I doubt they feel cheated). This takes punishments such as win/championship forfeitures and banishment from future tournaments off the table IMO.

Suspension of guilty staff members (including Coach Mulkey) for the entire 2012-2013 regular season, in addition to the self-imposed penalties, I would support. If Baylor were to appeal, I'd cut that by 5 games or so if Coach Mulkey were to step up and publicly admit fault.
But with the women's game slowly catching up to the men in terms of profitability/marketability, the governing body is going to protect its commodities rising stars. Fact.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
While many would like to see a harsher punishment, it's difficult to come up with one that won't be effectively punishing the current Baylor student athletes. As far as I understand, the athletes themselves did nothing wrong, if anything they are actually victims of these infractions (though given the program's success I doubt they feel cheated). This takes punishments such as win/championship forfeitures and banishment from future tournaments off the table IMO.

Suspension of guilty staff members (including Coach Mulkey) for the entire 2012-2013 regular season, in addition to the self-imposed penalties, I would support. If Baylor were to appeal, I'd cut that by 5 games or so if Coach Mulkey were to step up and publicly admit fault.
But with the women's game slowly catching up to the men in terms of profitability/marketability, the governing body is going to protect its commodities rising stars. Fact.
its never the kids fault... just like the "current" UConn Men's players being punished for stuff that happened 3-5yrs ago

Reaction Score
And Jenkins shows us why the NCAA's lack of effort protecting the game smacks so much of politics.

"There is another situation in the NCAA report that illustrates how Mulkey treated the rules. She used her position as a parent to make improper contact with the Griner family when her daughter played with Griner on the same Texas AAU summer team, DFW Elite."
"Mulkey’s defense is that she was in a difficult situation as both a mother and a coach, and that’s a fact. But here are some other facts: In 2006, at around the same time she was cultivating the Griners at summer games, Mulkey hired DFW Elite’s coach Damion McKinney to her staff. McKinney is the assistant who made many of the improper calls and texts detailed by the NCAA, more than 300 of them in 2011 to a current DFW Elite coach."

This was the ignored issue. One wonders how many hundreds of coaches with students athletes for children had to walk that narrow line before her.

Exactly. It is a very narrow line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom