Voepel on McCoughtry's absence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Voepel on McCoughtry's absence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Too bad she didn't play at Baylor or UConn where the coach has a stronger personality that could have helped guide her to greater maturity. She kind of reminds me of Dennis Rodman with her quirky personality.

Actually, there's a lot of evidence that Jeff did have a great impact on her. It may have worn off.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Then why didn't she win the 2012 Nancy Lieberman Award which is presented annually to the nation's top NCAA Division I point guard?

See what I did there?
Because Skylar has a lot of Twitter followers and didn't have a a 6'8" center under whose shadow she played.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims is fiery and feisty. Mulkey is hardly going to try to coach that out of her. Also, being demonstrative is what Kim does best. Would be hard for her to ask someone else not to do that when she is the queen.

BTW, it is no longer KMR. The "R" has been dropped.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The "R" has been dropped? She's an honorary Mainiac!:)

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
The "R" has been dropped? She's an honorary Mainiac!:)

CORRECTION!!! That should be Mainonian. Mainiacs are crazy people.

You, a wine swilling bear, of all people. I have papers to prove I'm sane.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Okay, let's pull a few threads together here (so to speak).

Kim Mulkey, intrigued by the possibilities and wanting a dramatic change of pace, decides to take the Maine coaching job to work with all those fabulous foreign students who are joining the basketball team. We know how Kim sounds (and dresses). We know how "Men from Maine" sound (and dress: remember, what's the difference between a Maine debutant and a moose cow? Fifty pounds and a flannel shirt).

Now add several young women from overseas, for whom English is not their first language. I can just see the puzzelled expressions and confusion on Media Day!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Actually, there's a lot of evidence that Jeff did have a great impact on her. It may have worn off.

He did.

Perhaps she plays better for a male coach. Perhaps something changed in her life recently. Perhaps Lori Ann is more of a severe problem than a punchline.

But right now, one of the most talented players in the world is sitting. There is going to be tons of speculation.

Reaction Score
Then why didn't she win the 2012 Nancy Lieberman Award which is presented annually to the nation's top NCAA Division I point guard?

See what I did there?

Coach Auriemma does not win Coach of the Year every year, but it does not mean he is not the best.
Diana Taurasi did not win the Wade Trophy in 2004. Who was better?
Kamie Etheridege won the Wade Trophy in 1986. She was not even the best player on her own team.
Awards have meaning, but they are not always indicative.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
At the end of her career Angel acknowledged how important Walz had been in helping her to grow and change her negative attitudes.

Absolutely. We all saw what McCoughtry was when she came to Louisville. She may have been one of the most obnoxius spoiled brats in all of WCBB. By her senior year she seemed to be an entirely different person. Most gave credit To Walz for helping her mature.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
As a 19 year old, I left much to be desired for most measures of maturity. If I had more energy, I might be inclined to throw a snit/tantrum even today, if the price and time were right.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is very possible that not having his constant guidance and support is affecting her since as a pro she is much on her own and personally responsible for herself in contrast to college.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Who's to say Jeff Walz didn't have an impact on Angel McCoughtry? Maybe her behavior that you have a problem with was worse before she attended L'Ville. Personally, I would like to see KMR have more of an impact on her very demonstrative, flamboyant, "I like to draw attention to myself" PG.

In my opinion, Sims was exactly what Baylor needed. They needed a point guard that showed some passion and fired up the team. Griner can be a bit too laid back at times and I'm of the opinion that Sims has helped her to play with more passion. Sims has a very contagious attitude and it works for their team. Same can be said for Diggins. Many don't like her antics, but ND needed some attitude. They needed to learn how to fight and play with intensity. Diggins does that for her team and it works for them.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
He did.

Perhaps she plays better for a male coach. Perhaps something changed in her life recently. Perhaps Lori Ann is more of a severe problem than a punchline.

But right now, one of the most talented players in the world is sitting. There is going to be tons of speculation.

I think it was prior to her Junior year that Walz took Angel into her own personal film review and showed her video and images of her facial expressions that could sometimes lend itself to bad press and a misunderstood personality. Angel worked hard to change her persona on the court. Walz did alot to help her mature.

By the way, from my understanding, Meadors is difficult to get along with and Angel isn't the first player that she's had issues with. I'm not sure why Izzy wasn't brought back, so I tried a google search only to find out that she just signed with Washington. I also recall the fans being in an uproar when Latta was not re-signed a couple of years back. Then there was the incident with Holdscalw. It's quite possible that Angel has demanded a trade since she is a free agent after this season. Atlanta could be in the process of working something out. With professional sports, it's alot more involved. These are grown ups and basketball is their work.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
By the way, from my understanding, Meadors is difficult to get along with and Angel isn't the first player that she's had issues with. I'm not sure why Izzy wasn't brought back, so I tried a google search only to find out that she just signed with Washington. I also recall the fans being in an uproar when Latta was not re-signed a couple of years back. Then there was the incident with Holdscalw. It's quite possible that Angel has demanded a trade since she is a free agent after this season. Atlanta could be in the process of working something out. With professional sports, it's alot more involved. These are grown ups and basketball is their work.
Your post is a good reminder that there are reasons not to jump to quick conclusions. There may be a lot more to the story. We don't even know how much we don't know!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - I certainly do not get a warm and fuzzy with Meadors, but haven't followed the team so had no idea of team outlook. Can't complain with her results though.
Interesting quotes from Angel after the loss to Lynx. Seems she just needed some unwind time from the Olympics. Seems it hasn't been easy for quite a few of the USA team - physical or emotional

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For what it worth, I always had a lot of respect for McCoughtry (and maybe a bit of dislike but in the the way you dislike an good opposing player.) I enjoyed her enthusiasm and play in the Olympics. I wish her well.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Interesting - I certainly do not get a warm and fuzzy with Meadors, but haven't followed the team so had no idea of team outlook. Can't complain with her results though.
Interesting quotes from Angel after the loss to Lynx. Seems she just needed some unwind time from the Olympics. Seems it hasn't been easy for quite a few of the USA team - physical or emotional

The jury is still out on her results, but many, including me, seem to think that her results were more indicative of Carol Ross' impact than Meadors. From the way they play this year, it certainly appears that way. Carol Ross has also completely changed LA. I know they have different players now, but they play a new style and are having much more success. Team chemistry is great. Atlanta's team chemistry seems to have tanked.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on her results, but many, including me, seem to think that her results were more indicative of Carol Ross' impact than Meadors. From the way they play this year, it certainly appears that way. Carol Ross has also completely changed LA. I know they have different players now, but they play a new style and are having much more success. Team chemistry is great. Atlanta's team chemistry seems to have tanked.
I can believe that - I still find it weird when the HC is completely silent and all the talking is coming from and assistent during a time-out. That was the case during the last couple of time-outs during the Lynx game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Perhaps there is BoneYarder-Psychologist who would weigh in here.
I was a psychology major as an undergrad, and I took it seriously (as in, I really thought for a time that I was going to get a PhD and be in the field in some capacity rather than simply choosing what is often considered a relatively easy major). Does that count? :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was a psychology major as an undergrad, and I took it seriously (as in, I really thought for a time that I was going to get a PhD and be in the field in some capacity rather than simply choosing what is often considered a relatively easy major). Does that count? :)
On the BY, you could say you recently slept at a Best Western (or whatever that commercial for the hotel chain is), and now you're a brain surgeon, and we'd probably believe you!

Reaction Score
I remember a story that Geno told about Angel after one of the first USA training sessions that Geno held, there were 25ish women invited to participate in the session. After the session, some reporter had made a comment about Angel - and Geno came back at him with a remake that went something close to this.......I can tell you this about Angel, she was the only one who sent me a thank you note after the session, and that speaks volumes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the "leverage-for-forcing-a-trade" hypothesis (i.e., Angel as Manny Ramirez redux) is more plausible than some deep psychological explanation. Although, if she is a free agent after this year, and since Atlanta clearly has a good shot to do well in the playoffs this year and possibly even get to the finals, you would think she could wait until after the season to make her exit rather than risk being traded to Tulsa or Washington (for example).

I am trying to think who the Sun might offer for her if that is the case. Certainly they would give up a #1 draft choice (maybe even 2 years of them), but I think other teams would offer current players. I don't think that the Sun would or should give up Tina or Asjha or Kara to obtain Angel. Maybe Renee, Misty Mims, and a #1 draft choice -- but that hardly seems like sufficient compensation for Angel, if her head is in the right place and she really wants to play for the Sun. I'm sure that any trade would be conditional on Angel signing a contract that extends beyond this season.

Reaction Score
She didn't win that but she did guide her team to an undefeated 40-0 season and national championship.

See what SHE did there?

And Baylor would have had neither without Griner...plain and simple. Still doesn't explain why she didn't win the 2012 Nancy Lieberman Award. There is a reason some people gravitate to certain people (i.e. Twitter). HINT: It isn't cuz they carry a perpetual ' tude and "chip on their shoulder". Once again, maybe you and KMR should work harder on this with the person who did not win the award for the nations best PG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom