Voepel on McCoughtry's absence | The Boneyard

Voepel on McCoughtry's absence

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Too bad she didn't play at Baylor or UConn where the coach has a stronger personality that could have helped guide her to greater maturity. She kind of reminds me of Dennis Rodman with her quirky personality.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Too bad she didn't play at Baylor or UConn where the coach has a stronger personality that could have helped guide her to greater maturity. She kind of reminds me of Dennis Rodman with her quirky personality.
I actually like that comparison - though DR was much further out there than Angel.
I usually like Michelle as a writer, and I admit she is closer to this than me, but I think this was a little bit of a hatchet job by her on Angel. She admits she has no idea what is going on, and then proceeds to pretty well bury her.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, yes, she was pretty direct, but one does wonder why a player would be in the audience in street clothes.

Reaction Score
Hello Sybil. Sally Fields was amazing in that movie. But really? An Alter Ego on the court? This is the first I am hearing of it...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hello Sybil. Sally Fields was amazing in that movie. But really? An Alter Ego on the court? This is the first I am hearing of it...
Yes - I remember an article about a year ago on Angel and her alter ego -
There was also an interview after the gold medal game where she talked about wanting to bring aspects of her olympic experience back to the Dream. I wonder if for her the transition back to the Dream from what was obviously a magical experience for her in London didn't cause some problems. I also think the intensity of the experience and the physical and emotional toll has not been easy for some of the players. These folks play 12 months a year at a very high level - add in the olympics and it can cause issues.
I don't have a good handle on Marynell either - obviously she has done great things with the Dream in terms of getting them to peak at the end of the last two seasons, but I always find it wierd to see the head coach silent in a huddle as an assistent draws up plays, which happened at the end of last night's game. She isn't the only coach to do that, but it still seems strange.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Holdsclaw suffers from clinical depression. I am not sure that I see a similar situation developing here, but it could be.
Seems like something psychological to me insomuch as she was stripped of her captaincy. If there were more tangible circumstances like a nagging injury or some kind of family issue, I'd think her coach would be more understanding. Erratic behavior without a tangible basis could underscore depression or some other sort of psychological condition. Wish her the best in any event. WBB is better with her.

Reaction Score

Really?! If you are questioning the need for her to have stronger role models you need not look any farther than her parents. Plus, the player needs to be accountable for herself.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Really?! If you are questioning the need for her to have stronger role models you need not look any farther than her parents. Plus, the player needs to be accountable for herself.

Yes, really!! Maybe it is news to you, but college coaches DO have an impact on these young women and building their character. I did not say that neither she nor her parents had no responsibility, only that a strong role model for a coach can make a big difference in a young woman's life.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, really!! Maybe it is news to you, but college coaches DO have an impact on these young women and building their character. I did not say that neither she nor her parents had no responsibility, only that a strong role model for a coach can make a big difference in a young woman's life.
Agree about coaches having significant impact on their players in college - but I can only think of a few that from outside I would question in that regard. You can be a bad basketball coach or have bad results and still be a great influence on your players. And there are some player/coach relationships that just don't click, for whatever reason and are neither player's or coach's 'fault.'

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Note to people new to the Boneyard - we do not use the word Thug here, not in reference to a UConn player or any other player. And in case you're wondering, no, I don't care if you think it's OK.

Anyone who spots the T word being used here should click on the Report button and let the mods know.

Reaction Score
Yes - I remember an article about a year ago on Angel and her alter ego -
There was also an interview after the gold medal game where she talked about wanting to bring aspects of her olympic experience back to the Dream. I wonder if for her the transition back to the Dream from what was obviously a magical experience for her in London didn't cause some problems. I also think the intensity of the experience and the physical and emotional toll has not been easy for some of the players. These folks play 12 months a year at a very high level - add in the olympics and it can cause issues.
I don't have a good handle on Marynell either - obviously she has done great things with the Dream in terms of getting them to peak at the end of the last two seasons, but I always find it wierd to see the head coach silent in a huddle as an assistent draws up plays, which happened at the end of last night's game. She isn't the only coach to do that, but it still seems strange.

I thought Angel recently said she gave her alter ego up...?

Reaction Score

Who's to say Jeff Walz didn't have an impact on Angel McCoughtry? Maybe her behavior that you have a problem with was worse before she attended L'Ville. Personally, I would like to see KMR have more of an impact on her very demonstrative, flamboyant, "I like to draw attention to myself" PG.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Who's to say Jeff Walz didn't have an impact on Angel McCoughtry? Maybe her behavior that you have a problem with was worse before she attended L'Ville. Personally, I would like to see KMR have more of an impact on her very demonstrative, flamboyant, "I like to draw attention to myself" PG.

ncw_g_charles1_200.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

LOL. Man, someone is in the mood to argue. Good luck with that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At the end of her career Angel acknowledged how important Walz had been in helping her to grow and change her negative attitudes.

Reaction Score

She is the best point guard in WCBB right now.
1. Why try to change the things that make her effective?
2. Why do you have a problem with her perceived demonstraative flamboyance?

Reaction Score
She is the best point guard in WCBB right now.
1. Why try to change the things that make her effective?
2. Why do you have a problem with her perceived demonstraative flamboyance?

Then why didn't she win the 2012 Nancy Lieberman Award which is presented annually to the nation's top NCAA Division I point guard?

See what I did there?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Then why didn't she win the 2012 Nancy Lieberman Award which is presented annually to the nation's top NCAA Division I point guard?

See what I did there?

She didn't win that but she did guide her team to an undefeated 40-0 season and national championship.

See what SHE did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01