Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Let's be real folks. If Vic wasn't from Texas and had his parents living in Texas, he wouldn't have left for the Texas job. Yes, Texas had to give him a raise to make the move, but this really wasn't about MSU not willing to pay him his worth. Texas was fortunate this worked out, and so quickly.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State was willing to match/exceed what Texas offered.
Austin has an international airport and an interstate running through it. That would have to make recruiting visits much easier for prospective student athletes.

Plus it's Austin. Really cool town.

Reaction Score
Austin has an international airport and an interstate running through it. That would have to make recruiting visits much easier for prospective student athletes.

Plus it's Austin. Really cool town.
Don’t know how we ever got kids from Texas, Detroit, DC, and Australia without an international airport and interstate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I know that some coaches in similar situation to Vic will negotiate contracts for their assistants before they accept. No coach wants to go to a situation where they make a ton and the AD tells him the assistants get peanuts. They will also agree on miscellaneous staff and recruiting allowances

I'd imagine he would but who knows. He mentioned that he wasn't going to take the Mississippi State job if she wasn't coming with him so I wouldn't be surprised if they were a package deal.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'd imagine he would but who knows. He mentioned that he wasn't going to take the Mississippi State job if she wasn't coming with him so I wouldn't be surprised if they were a package deal.
Yeah, if you were the AD you would want him to hit the ground running for recruits and not running for assistants.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Matthew Mitchell just said no.

Someone on our board just reported. (not sure if he posts here, my guess is yes)

Reaction Score
Don’t know how we ever got kids from Texas, Detroit, DC, and Australia without an international airport and interstate.
Did you get those quality of players before you hired a high quality coach?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I don't understand those "Matthew Mitchell for next coach" Mississippi State fans. I doubt UConn fans would want a successor of the equivalent of Mitchell for their coach........ after Geno.

Reaction Score
Did you get those quality of players before you hired a high quality coach?
Well before UCONN hired a high quality coach they had 1 winning season in their history, whereas we were making the tournament before I’d even heard of Vic. Is that because Starkville, MS was easier to get talent to than it was to get it to Storrs, CT, before we each hired quality coaches? I’m just using your logic to raise a counter question.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone remember when @JordyG said there was another shoe to drop in the Karen got fired thread?
I didn't think it was a man's shoe!

1586142961880.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is so weird to me because Vic is an Aggie through and through. I guess he really wanted to get back home. He just bought some land and was building a house outside of Starkville. He's said before that he grew up hating Texas (the school not the state).
So, does Vic bolt for A&M when Gary Blair retires? ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You never know. I didn't think Vic was attainable. MSU can offer any coach $1.6 million or more. Graves barely bumped up to $700k after last season's Final Four. Doesn't hurt to express interest and let the dominoes fall where they may.
How does one of the poorest States in the nation pay a WBB coach $2M per year? I can understand football, but women's hoops?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
How does one of the poorest States in the nation pay a WBB coach $2M per year? I can understand football, but women's hoops?
It's not about the State; it's about the athletic conference. With equal revenue sharing, all schools in the SEC are raking in the same amount from TV revenue. Money is huge. MSU knows what they can afford; it's a lot more than PAC 12 schools not named Stanford.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was just thinking, maybe he's running a long Aggie con on UT.

Blair suddenly announces his retirement in late October 2020, and Vic bolts. :confused:
Texas had to pay MSU a $1.25 million buyout to obtain Vic. Texas will do the same in Vic's new contract. And, probably a provision that it will cost double if he tries to leave for Texas A&M.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's be real folks. If Vic wasn't from Texas and had his parents living in Texas, he wouldn't have left for the Texas job. Yes, Texas had to give him a raise to make the move, but this really wasn't about MSU not willing to pay him his worth. Texas was fortunate this worked out, and so quickly.
I sure hope there isn't a WBB team in Montella, Italy! :D

Reaction Score
I don't understand those "Matthew Mitchell for next coach" Mississippi State fans. I doubt UConn fans would want a successor of the equivalent of Mitchell for their coach........ after Geno.

He isn't a bad coach but is not what MSU is looking for if they want to stay or continue at the level they are on. My take it they try to go after a big HC on the national level and if they can't get them they try to hire J. Harris. That is what I am hearing, unless Harris doesn't want the job. Harris stated she would not be opposed to being a HC if its the right situation. Considering she also basically built and recruited that entire roster in its current shape, its almost as good as it gets for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom