Utah Transfer Devon Daniels | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Utah Transfer Devon Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Isnt there such thing as a growth spirt for kids??? My Sixers 2016 #1 Draft pick Ben Simmons is 2 inches taller now than he was when we drafted him

Sure. Kevin Durant was something like 6'7" in high school. Famously, David Robinson was close to 6'6" when he committed to Navy. He had wanted to work on submarines if I recall, but quickly grew too tall. I think a lot of the most talented big men are guys who grow late, so learn to play as guards or wings.

Reaction Score
Sure. Kevin Durant was something like 6'7" in high school. Famously, David Robinson was close to 6'6" when he committed to Navy. He had wanted to work on submarines if I recall, but quickly grew too tall. I think a lot of the most talented big men are guys who grow late, so learn to play as guards or wings.

Was it submarines or wanted to fly?

Reaction Score
Isnt there such thing as a growth spirt for kids??? My Sixers 2016 #1 Draft pick Ben Simmons is 2 inches taller now than he was when we drafted him

The reading comprehension on this board is like a 5th grade classroom sometimes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was it submarines or wanted to fly?

Ahh, I probably remember it wrong. This is what I found. I also found that he was 5'9" his freshman year of HS. Only rejoined the basketball team later after he grew.

When Robinson entered the Naval Academy, he was 6-7, almost too tall to qualify. He is now 7-1, too tall to be commissioned as a ship's officer or as a Navy pilot. That leaves either working on a submarine, where most duties are performed while seated--Robinson says he still finds sub duty uncomfortable because of his height--or working "restricted line" duty, which means a desk job ashore.​

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He really isn't posting the rumors cuz rumors are second-hand info. What I post is rumors. He's more a primary source or secondary source. He regularly goes to tournaments and hangs out with AAU kids. He reflects what the staff is involved it. It's more point of view of who the staff is talking to, interest levels in certain kids, etc.
Not that I want to hijack this thread but are you hearing any rumors who the staff is trying to get for 2017?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The reading comprehension on this board is like a 5th grade classroom sometimes.
Actually there is about an inch or so of additional growth after long bone growth stops, due to growth of the vertebral bodies in the spine, at the end plates. So there may be many 15-17 yr olds who seem fully grown but will end up slightly taller at 19 or 20. I wouldn't call it a spurt, however. Most boys growth end at 17 or 18, but there's a range, so a few will grow until 20.

I guess what I'm saying is growth is fluid. And that it's silly to pin a player to a certain height at 16, never to change, even if they seem done growing.

Reaction Score
Actually there is about an inch or so of additional growth after long bone growth stops, due to growth of the vertebral bodies in the spine, at the end plates. So there may be many 15-17 yr olds who seem fully grown but will end up slightly taller at 19 or 20. I wouldn't call it a spurt, however. Most boys growth end at 17 or 18, but there's a range, so a few will grow until 20.

I guess what I'm saying is growth is fluid. And that it's silly to pin a player to a certain height at 16, never to change, even if they seem done growing.
You too? I said he measured in at 6'2.5" at the UA camp and linked to it. I never said that he was 6'2.5" now or that he couldn't have possibly grown anymore.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You too? I said he measured in at 6'2.5" at the UA camp and linked to it. I never said that he was 6'2.5" now or that he couldn't have possibly grown anymore.
Touchy. My reply was more to chill out everyone getting agitated over exact measurements, not directed at anyone in particular. If you can play you can play. Barkley played a 3-4 in the NBA at 6'4.5". I could give a rats A what a player's precise height is.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Better fifth rated than tenth rated...

Reaction Score
Hopefully this guy is not concerned with his height
When JC added Boatright ( UGH) he was listed as 6'2"
Under KO he shrunk to under 6' feet .
So it seems not only does KO not develop Bigs he also shrinks smalls.
Or was it due to to Travis.?

Reaction Score
Seriously are we fighting over an inch and a half. This board blows my mind sometimes. Who gives A F.

And .04% of his free throw shooting percentage! Now after all of this analyzing inches and percentages can we get him here already? Would be an excellent add to the program, even if he needs to sit a year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And .04% of his free throw shooting percentage! Now after all of this analyzing inches and percentages can we get him here already? Would be an excellent add to the program, even if he needs to sit a year.

Chief is just looking to trash KO and staff further by spinning Daniels as a player who is unworthy of being added to the roster.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think I've talked to Drummond more times than Chief has but he'll never admit it
I KNOW I have but it doesn't make a difference

C

Chief00

Wouldn't we all like better stats -- but, a few comparisons:
- Freshman Kemba Walker, A/TO 2.9/1.8 = 1.6, FT/FTA = 71.5%
- Freshman Shabazz Napier, A/TO 3.0/1.8 = 1.7, FT/FTA = 77.1%

Devon's freshman free throw percentage at 71.9% was actually better than Kemba's. There's room for improvement, but it's a rare freshman who is significantly better.
Let's hope he works like Kemba and he has farther to go to get to 2.0.

C

Chief00

Touchy. My reply was more to chill out everyone getting agitated over exact measurements, not directed at anyone in particular. If you can play you can play. Barkley played a 3-4 in the NBA at 6'4.5". I could give a rats A what a player's precise height is.
Quite frankly, Devon is not 3 position size - he is similar to Adams - maybe +1 inch? Earlier in the thread someone asked me so I answered. Stairmaster' conspiracy theories are just that. Your war on Calhoun is just strange to me. And you never seem to acknowledge all the good community service work he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom