USA U16 National Team Game Info | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA U16 National Team Game Info

Reaction Score
A number of times Brunelle was under the basket when a shot went up. She established position well and (forcefully) boxed out her opponent. She has had some good coaching in the fundamentals. That overhead pass she uses against smaller guards worked well and didn't get blocked, but she has to be careful not to telegraph it.

Reaction Score
I agree with much of the analysis written here..........when judging each of these players you have to keep in mind that in addition to their youth, they still don't know each other's games that well as the team is really a glorified all star team........also the constant player substitutions made for some choppy play..........if the coach's goal was to get each player on the roster maximum exposure to international play then I guess she succeeded.............personally I think there were far too many substitutions.....a core group of eight should have shared the first half until they were playing like a well oiled machine at which point more subs could be inserted......I look forward to watching these talented young ladies in future U17 play......

Reaction Score
I'm sure that another year of HS basketball and natural growth will help all those players. The biggest issue I had with this team were the endless missed layups which didn't hurt the team that much in this tournament because the US was so much more talented than anyone else but in the world cup with the best team in the world for their age group, that can come back to bite them.
I would think that it would help tremendously if the USA picks the team (12 players + 3 alternates) few months in advance of the games and puts a solid time into training them to become a cohesive team. There was way too much one on one and not many plays or any kind of sophisticated plays that I could recognize. On defense I liked the way the team played help defense by funneling opposing players towards double teams or toward a big to block shots (similar to what UConn does).
Looking at the players on this team you can sure build the next team around Boston, Sam, Paige and Azzi

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Brunelle was second on the team in rebounding and assists, tied for second in scoring, and led the team in blocked shots. She averaged the most minutes by a little so that has something to do with the totals but she was at 22.8 vs. six others in the 16.4 - 21.2 range. She had a 1.7 A/TO so her passing was pretty good as well. Her shooting was definitely off for the tournament, but she didn't force things and was very good at providing help on defense - hence the blocks.

I thought Watson looked like an interesting prospect but wish someone would work on her shooting motion - she has a very low release and a serious hitch - almost a shot put from shoulder height. It is effective but likely a holdover from younger days when she didn't have the arm strength and needed her whole body to get the ball to the rim.

And yeah, coaching on this team seemed a lot better than on the previous U16/U17 - I think the team is a bit more skilled which helps, but the substitutions, the defense, and the offensive flow just seemed better. (It would be interesting to get Brunelle's take on the change in coaching.)

Reaction Score
How do you pronounce "Beucker's" name? "Byookers"? or as the Chilean announcer pronounced it: "Beckers"?

What am I missing with Breunelle? She couldn't buy a shot from three. Missed lots of layups, and appeared sloppy with her passing.

Boston has the size and hustle to be a star. Agree about Watson and Cooke. Very athletic.
Beckers

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Russia and Spain both failed to qualify for next year's U17 tourney on Wednesday (8/9).

The US, hopefully stocked with UConn players and targets, should be huge favorites.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom