USA U16 National Team Game Info | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA U16 National Team Game Info

Reaction Score
USA just too much for Canada even though they are playing just OK basketball.......as in earlier games the US took away dribble drive leading to forced shots and turnovers..........the US team is so athletic and they just come at you in waves......must be incredibly tiring to play defense against them......more of the same means USA gold in 20 minutes......

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
considering their ages, the USA team is pretty impressive - they will be significantly better as U17 next year. It is a pretty balanced team that does a nice job on defense and is pretty decent on offense as well. There are better players and lesser players but as others have said no real superstar at the moment.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA has started the 3rd quarter with sloppy play and poor defense. USA has scored 2 points in 4 minutes of play. Fortunately Canada has only scored 5 points.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Missed layups!!! Missed layups!! Missed layups!!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 68-35 end of 3rd Quarter. USA will get the gold medal. Wonder if Carla Berbue will be the coach of next years U17 World Championship Team. Most likely she will be. It will be interesting to see how many of this years U16 team will make next years U17. If you recall Team USA kept very few of the last U16 team on the U17 team.

Reaction Score
Congrats USA U16 Team!!!!!!!......it wasn't always pretty but the did what they came to do...........very promising players with a lot of hard work ahead of them........ I look forward to seeing three or four of them in UConn uniforms in the years to come........not sure who will get the MVP Award if there is one......my guess would be Boston or Brunelle...........

Reaction Score
USA Wins Gold Medal 91-45. Congrats to Carla and the players for bringing back the Gold Medal to USA.

Coaching makes a difference even if you have Superior Talent.
A D3 coach instead of a high school coach. Incredible difference! Like Rookie league vs. the show.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brunelle shot 29% from the field. That frightening statistic aside, I thought she looked mobile, competitive, and skilled. A player the UConn staff can make really good.

Fudd had a great championship game and will be a stud down the road.

Boston is very talented yet still raw with lots of upside. High-level prospect.

Bueckers has star written all over her.

Cooke is super athletic and can really score. Not a PG, imo, but has terrific upside as well.

Taylor is tenacious defensively, has a sweet stroke on her jumper, and is physical.

Watson is an athletic, versatile power forward. Big upside too.

Would've liked to have seen Haley Jones and Maddie Burke compete but can't have everything.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Post U16 wish list based on players with reported UConn interest:

2019 - Sam Brunelle, Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones

2020- Paige Bueckers, Maddie Burke, Kylee Watson

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Flat out can't trust FIBA's boxscores or stats. They have Kylee Watson scoreless yesterday but she scored prior to halftime. In the play-by-play chart they have it listed as a Fudd made jump shot when Watson scored on a layup off a terrific Bueckers pass.

It shouldn't be hard to mark the games correctly.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jeez. Midway through the 3rd Taylor hit a three but they credited it to Fudd. Officially, Taylor was scoreless in the game. Not true. Then a Bueckers steal is credited to Taylor.

An amateurish effort with by whoever logged FIBA's games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So I went back and cataloged the stats for just Bueckers and Fudd, hopefully UConn's future backcourt.

Bueckers's actual line: 11 pts (5-10 fg), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals

Fudd's actual line: 13 points (5-10 fg), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals

Both fairly different from the boxscore.

Bueckers would've had a few more assists if not for missed layups. She also would've had another basket if not for perhaps the worst offensive foul call (on Watson) I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
So I went back and cataloged the stats for just Bueckers and Fudd, hopefully UConn's future backcourt.

Bueckers's actual line: 11 pts (5-10 fg), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals

Fudd's actual line: 13 points (5-10 fg), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals

Both fairly different from the boxscore.

Bueckers would've had a few more assists if not for missed layups. She also would've had another basket if not for perhaps the worst offensive foul call (on Watson) I have ever seen.

How do you pronounce "Beucker's" name? "Byookers"? or as the Chilean announcer pronounced it: "Beckers"?

What am I missing with Breunelle? She couldn't buy a shot from three. Missed lots of layups, and appeared sloppy with her passing.

Boston has the size and hustle to be a star. Agree about Watson and Cooke. Very athletic.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Brunelle shot 29% from the field. That frightening statistic aside, I thought she looked mobile, competitive, and skilled. A player the UConn staff can make really good.

Fudd had a great championship game and will be a stud down the road.

Boston is very talented yet still raw with lots of upside. High-level prospect.

Bueckers has star written all over her.

Cooke is super athletic and can really score. Not a PG, imo, but has terrific upside as well.

Taylor is tenacious defensively, has a sweet stroke on her jumper, and is physical.

Watson is an athletic, versatile power forward. Big upside too.

Would've liked to have seen Haley Jones and Maddie Burke compete but can't have everything.

The game-every-day made for some highs and lows and may have had something to do with some shooting percentages not being up to snuff from what is expected.

For the most part, I'm totally on board with your analysis. Would like to offer a few more:

- I think Diamond Miller quietly had a very effective tournament. For a player who was largely under the radar until her team made a run in the NJ Tournament of Champions, she's gotten on center stage in a hurry. In HS, she did everything for her team. Here, I was impressed with her rebounding and discipline. Not flashy, but very solid.
- A contributor at McGraw's Bench thought Clark had a bit of Marina Mabrey in her, which I can see. Kind of an inner-driven passion and exuberance all waiting to burst through. And moxie: the behind the back move from beyond the arc and a pull-up three. Wonder if Iowa has visited Jersey Shore?
- Brunelle is simply polished. I have no doubt that if pressed, she'd calmly take center stage. Only liability I see with her is keeping up with quicker wings on defense.

Bueckers is a great athlete who chose hoops. If she played lacrosse or soccer, she'd be a star, too. Glad she's on the hardcourt. Special, special player. Whomever has her in college...geesh, just pen in "whoa!"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How do you pronounce "Beucker's" name? "Byookers"? or as the Chilean announcer pronounced it: "Beckers"?
What am I missing with Breunelle? She couldn't buy a shot from three. Missed lots of layups, and appeared sloppy with her passing.
Boston has the size and hustle to be a star. Agree about Watson and Cooke. Very athletic.
Pronounced Breakers-I think. Go with Paige.
What am I missing with Breunelle?
Everything! She a rising HS junior with an unmatched tool set that just needs to be sharpened a little.
Boston has the size and hustle to be a star.
I don't see a star in Boston, very good player & Tournament MVP. A star would be dominating this level of competition and U17 next year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Bueckers is the second pronunciation above with a silent "u".

No idea why Brunelle struggled so much except that I thought she rushed a bit at times. More on the line than the regular high school or AAU game where I've seen her make many more shots. I actually liked her passing for the most part. She makes plays and has much better shooting skills than she showed. She's not Della Donne--that comparison really needs to end--but she's very talented.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
- I think Diamond Miller quietly had a very effective tournament.....Not flashy, but very solid.

- A contributor at McGraw's Bench thought Clark had a bit of Marina Mabrey in her, which I can see. ....

Bueckers is a great athlete who chose hoops. If she played lacrosse or soccer, she'd be a star, too. Glad she's on the hardcourt. Special, special player. Whomever has her in college...geesh, just pen in "whoa!"

Hadn't seen Miller play until this tourney and you're right, she was a dependable player. I liked Clark quite a bit. Very pretty shot, decent ball-handler and IQ. Likes to drive even if she's still learning when to do so. She's doesn't glide or handle like Bueckers but who does?

And as for Ms Bueckers, I can't say enough good things about her. She's seemingly unflappable, a terrific ball-handler with great passing skills, a super high IQ, loads of shot-making ability, lightning quick hands, and she glides around the court like a world-class skater. Oh, and she exudes a toughness and confidence that few high school players of any age have. It's a notch or two below cocky which I'm okay with and I think one Geno Auriemma would love.

Bueckers and Fudd were paired often and played extremely well together, not surprising since Fudd seems to possess many of these same traits.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The game-every-day made for some highs and lows and may have had something to do with some shooting percentages not being up to snuff from what is expected.

For the most part, I'm totally on board with your analysis. Would like to offer a few more:
- I think Diamond Miller quietly had a very effective tournament. For a player who was largely under the radar until her team made a run in the NJ Tournament of Champions, she's gotten on center stage in a hurry. In HS, she did everything for her team. Here, I was impressed with her rebounding and discipline. Not flashy, but very solid.
- A contributor at McGraw's Bench thought Clark had a bit of Marina Mabrey in her, which I can see. Kind of an inner-driven passion and exuberance all waiting to burst through. And moxie: the behind the back move from beyond the arc and a pull-up three. Wonder if Iowa has visited Jersey Shore?
- Brunelle is simply polished. I have no doubt that if pressed, she'd calmly take center stage. Only liability I see with her is keeping up with quicker wings on defense.
Was going to say the same about Miller-quietly effective and versatile tournament. Miller did everything I was expecting to see Haley Jones do if she had made this team.
What's remarkable is that at minimum each of these kids has 2 years of HS basketball left, 3 for Paige and 4 for Fudd.
Bueckers seems to be the most college ready. Brunelle and Boston are close but they all have plenty of time. Cooke is extremely athletic, but she dribbles way too much and is also too right hand dominant-very strong pull up game though. Brunelle was named team captain and did not seem to carry that burden very well. I'm not sure why you would need a designated Captain for this age group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom