USA Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Postgame Thread

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Same point difference as UConn-Tenn. But unlike Tenn, UConn seemed to be on an even keel. Didn't notice any panic runs. Special props to Megan & Anna Mak. Tenn was in somewhat of a funk after the loss to UConn; I don't think this game will have the same effect on the UConn team & especially those two. Hopefully it doesn't impact CD & CW, who were often frustrated by the pro play. For an elderly point guard past retirement age, Bird can really do some damage & she defended the younger & faster Crystal quite well. Be interesting to see how US does against Kentucky. Wonder if any US players or potential players are trapped in China because of the various quarantines. Is there a thread on players playing in China?

The shorter time-clock combined with the size of the US Team (and their speed) caused problems for the team. CD especially seemed to have been affected fighting off 2 first class guards in Bird & Plum, plus Big Syl was like Lauren Cox on steroids (just a metaphor!).

Despite her 3 pt foul on Crystal, Plum's shooting burned UConn in Q4. Nice to see Stewie getting her sea legs, and she hasn't lost her competitive edge.

Also really nice to see Bent & Evelyn doing some excellent subbing, even though the US bench had (ahem) somewhat more depth. Griffin's play sometimes forced cheery noises from me. Olivia Nelson Odah-dah (per the elderly half time commentator's regional pronunciation) did not seem overwhelmed to me, and her FT shooting was the best I've seen in some time; plus she contributed some pretty good passing.

Nice night; cheered me up a little after all the Kobe & his daughter news.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also ran out of gas late in the game. Troubling trend.

You have got to be kidding! Not only was UConn facing experienced players who were much bigger and much stronger, but the UConn five all had to play FAR more minutes than the U.S. team - which for obvious reasons has a much better bench. Total minutes for UConn five:

Walker 38
Dangerfield 36
Williams 33
ONO 31
Makurat 31
AVERAGE 34

And the U.S. fourth quarter team played the following total minutes:

Ogwumike 27
McBride 25
Grey 24
Plum 17
Stewie/Fowles/Charles 19 (average)
AVERAGE 22.5

So the UConn squad averaged 34 minutes against the biggest, strongest, most experienced, and most talented group they have ever faced. And a much more rested team. The U.S. team's fourth quarter lineup only played an average of 22.5 minutes for the entire night. Further, the first four of that group had only played an average of 13 minutes apiece entering the last quarter. They couldn't possible have been more well rested. And yet it's a "troubling trend" that UConn couldn't keep up with them down the stretch??

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Conditioning and fatigue...
I though our Husky's really tired out the USA senior first rung
but then, the pendulum swung and our guys showed weakness

And as my wife noted...when USA put in the 2nd group...they were still
man to man (probably) superior to one and all of the UConn kids.

And consider: for large swatches of the game the defensive rebounding was excellent
and the Husky's played excellent team ball.

Reaction Score
Very enjoyable game. Thought they competed well against the Pros. Thought Liv played pretty well tonight. Question for anyone at the game. Who won the halftime game between Kara and Rebecca's teams?

Rebecca's team had more baskets, some good passing and one player #15 looks like a future star- passing to open teammates, dribbling skills, speed and shooting layups with either hand!

Reaction Score
I think it's one of the best games they've played all season, and considering the competition, that's a great sign. The pros are just bigger, faster, stronger, and more experienced. Megan really showed out and well and she will be a very high draft pick next year.

Reaction Score
Meg proved she can play with the best, Anna showed us we just might win a national championship. Three turn overs for the one attempting great passes against height and immense skill is aggressive play. Two of eight from three (a different range than she‘s used to) tells me she’s looking to score. She also did a step back shorter jumper in traffic, blocked a shot, grabbed rebounds, made steals, deflected I don’t know how many shots against taller opponents, and played like a senior. CD was smallest player on court but didn’t play like it. Liv actually fought hard against all pro posts. Christyn came back after a poor start. Evelyn had good minutes. Molly and Kyla played unafraid. Aubrey fought for rebounds. All in all, a gutty performance. Let’s pop buttons.

Reaction Score
I think it's one of the best games they've played all season, and considering the competition, that's a great sign. The pros are just bigger, faster, stronger, and more experienced. Megan really showed out and well and she will be a very high draft pick next year.

I think they play freer because there is nothing to lose, no real consequence, compared to playing against Baylor even though Baylor's team is obviously weaker than Team USA. If they can adopt that mindset against Oregon and SC, they will probably win.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Ania is a freshman playing against WNBA pros. She acquitted herself pretty damn well.

Geez, some UConn fans have ridiculous expectations
He seems to always look for something negative to say. Also, Bent, Adebayo (sp), and Griffin did well when they were in the game. They were playing when UConn came back in the second quarter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would be interested in how the USA Team roster that played tonight compares to the one that lost to Oregon back in November. If the rosters were largely the same, then the fact that Oregon defeated Team USA and UConn lost by 15 points is concerning for the outcome of next Monday night's game. However, I suspect that Team USA was missing more players in November than they are now, and in any case the November version would have had less practice time together.

Reaction Score
I'm just darn proud of our team. Forget that Team USA had limited practice. They are all world class b'ball players and UConn didn't back down. The team more than upheld the honor and reputation of Husky b'ball. They should KNOW now that there isn't a college team they can't beat. I'm not predicting we run the table (doubtful we will) and win a NC, but a NC isn't a long shot by any means.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
After a rough start, down 19-5, UConn fought back and competed wonderfully. They fought inside against bigger, older, better players. They took the ball to the hoop. They did not back down. I was very proud of them.

I predict that Liv will turn things around and we will look back on this game as the turning point.

I don’t like to be critical of other posters, but a lot of the negative comments in this thread are just silly.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If you watch Geno's Presser on the UCONN site the last question he gets was apparently asked by a former player. I could not however, tell who it was. Does anyone have any idea? Geno had some fun with them.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in how the USA Team roster that played tonight compares to the one that lost to Oregon back in November. If the rosters were largely the same, then the fact that Oregon defeated Team USA and UConn lost by 15 points is concerning for the outcome of next Monday night's game. However, I suspect that Team USA was missing more players in November than they are now, and in any case the November version would have had less practice time together.

I know Stewie didn't play against Oregon.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Here a link to the box score: https://www.usab.com/~/media/5f464283531f48dd92547c56c4214230.ashx?la=en

Reaction Score
Not close to the same... no Stewie, no Tina Charles, no Brittany Griner, no Aja Wilson, no Elena Della Donne. Lots of frontcourt players missing allowed Oregon to outrebound them.

Reaction Score
Collier and Taurasi played, and were very effective against Oregon (second and fourth leading scorers for USA), as did Fowles and Ogwumike. The big difference was A'ja Wilson did not make the trip as expected due to a family emergency, so they were short a front court player as Fowles was in foul trouble.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not close to the same... no Stewie, no Tina Charles, no Brittany Griner, no Aja Wilson, no Elena Della Donne. Lots of frontcourt players missing allowed Oregon to outrebound them.

You know Griner, Wilson and EDD didn't play tonight either, right?

Stewie and Charles grabbed some boards but they sure didn't hit many shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom