USA Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA Postgame Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would be interested in how the USA Team roster that played tonight compares to the one that lost to Oregon back in November. If the rosters were largely the same, then the fact that Oregon defeated Team USA and UConn lost by 15 points is concerning for the outcome of next Monday night's game. However, I suspect that Team USA was missing more players in November than they are now, and in any case the November version would have had less practice time together.

Geno a couple of days ago pretty much said that fall USA group was not a USA team. Most of last night's team were just starting their USSA practice and play 2 days ago.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some quick-hitters from the Dome:

- Really fine night of basketball. Congrats to all concerned.
- UConn put in a focused, determined effort and the players should be commended. I fully expected Geno and Chris to have them ready, but it's up to the players to, well, play. And that can be intimidating when every player you face may or may not be someone you admire. A lot. That said, they dug down and went for it.
- Megan was the fulcrum, in my humble opinion. Her consistent and gradual improvement is noted by this Irish fan. Anna Makurat seemed very at home (international rules?). She's getting better all the time. Darn. :rolleyes:
- Thought Liv had her moments, but it's tough going against USA bigs: Sylvia Fowles, puts on a national uniform and just attacks the rim. If Tina had her touch last night, whew.... And then just imagine when Griner and EDD show up and Stewie is back in game shape.
- Speaking of Stewie, it was great, just great, to see her in action last night. Despite what she did to the Irish during the course of her career, she's one of my favorite hoopsters. Admire, respect and enjoy her game.
- Along those lines, it was great to see another fave (and fellow Alum) - one Kayla McBride - off the ND coaching bench and back in the US of A uniform last night. Once she got warmed up, K-Mac dropped a few of her laser-like 3's and also played some subtle, but tough, defense, accumulating 3 steals in 20+ minutes.
- Kelsey Plum got in later in the game and made some definite contributions with 8 points (3 of 5 shooting) and 5 assists in 17 minutes.
The Aces connection with K-Mac was evident.

Once again, tip of the hat to current and alum Huskies and USA basketball.

You know @Dillon77 it is not to late to come over to the dark side. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is DT post-game talking some Kobe and some game. As for UConn they are tough and they haven't peaked. She says at one point the USA bench is exhorting each other : We gotta dig deep or we're going to lose.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I completely see your point; however, there have only been three wins decided by 10 points or less (and the Baylor loss). It seems, to me, that a majority of the games UConn wins by 10+ would not have the "out of gas" factor due to the ability to lengthen the bench. I know this can be a little misleading with games separating late and being close for 3+ quarters but it does stand to reason that the games that are contested should be the only ones used as part of this data set.

No. Only using the contested games is, IMO, cherry picking data to make a point. The poster I addressed paints his negative points in very broad brush strokes. He doesn't site specifics.

You have to look at the season as a whole. Using the Team USA game is kind of unfair. You have college kids playing the pros. Big time basketball experience of college students of a half a year to 3.5 years. Pro experience from 1 year to 10 to 15 years. Not comparable. If you remove last night's exhibition game, the there are 2 out 19 games that could be considered running out of gas.

Right now UConn has a solid 7 player rotation. If you consider Molly and Evelyn as viable subs, a 9 player rotation.

This is a UConn team that is evolving and improving. Not the same team we saw in November, December or even early January.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You know @Dillon77 it is not to late to come over to the dark side. ;)

Thanks, Rocky, but I've been chasing 4-leaf clovers for so long, I can't see the forest through the weeds. :D :)

However, I'd like to think I've got an extended travel visa - a blue card, if you will -- to visit The Boneyard and offer a thought and/or kudo when appropriate. And gosh knows Geno, Chris and the Huskies give me enough opportunity to do so.

BTW, I'm getting worried seeing how much Anna M. has improved since the time of year the Irish played them. Not only does she have skills, there's a presence about her....

Reaction Score
2nd half played out like the Baylor game. Stayed close til the fourth then ... boom

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the big "out of gas" issue was that Plum came in the game late and ran around Chrystal with a frenzy to make a case for her spot on the roster.
And scored 8 very quick points as well to open the lead. She was really hounding Crystal and with the 24 second clock it stunted the Uconn offense.

This team doesn't run out of gas as much as they do not have consistent scoring options. Uconn came back in the second quarter on the back of going 5 of 5 from 3 and having USA go something like 1-10 for a stretch. That makes up a lot of ground in a low scoring/poor shooting half.

They really struggled from 3 for the rest of the game and it caught up to them in the fourth when USA bore down on them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks, Rocky, but I've been chasing 4-leaf clovers for so long, I can't see the forest through the weeds. :D :)

However, I'd like to think I've got an extended travel visa - a blue card, if you will -- to visit The Boneyard and offer a thought and/or kudo when appropriate. And gosh knows Geno, Chris and the Huskies give me enough opportunity to do so.

BTW, I'm getting worried seeing how much Anna M. has improved since the time of year the Irish played them. Not only does she have skills, there's a presence about her....

That presence thing ... yes, you are spot on. She's not hurried, she glides along and knows the court and she does not get rattled. Mom was a pro-baller, so it is in the blood.

And yes, your guest viza is always good here.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I suspect that DT has mixed emotions about being idolized by Anna since she was 6. While it must be flattering, it probably makes her feel very, very old.

If she starts thinking too hard, she’ll realize she was a UConn commit before Anna was even born.

Then into her sophomore year when Aubrey arrives on the planet.

Best not to think about those things. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect that DT has mixed emotions about being idolized by Anna since she was 6. While it must be flattering, it probably makes her feel very, very old.

This out of a Carl Adamec piece:

"Anna Makurat admitted she was about to faint when she got to meet her idol, UConn legend Diana Taurasi.

“It just never gets old,” Taurasi said with a smile. ‘When you’re around young kids, it feels good. She has such a bright future.”

Taurasi was then reminded, speaking of old, that she is nearly twice Makurat’s age.

“Is she?” Taurasi said. “She’s 19? The kid has got a lot of talent.”

The only bad news from Monday night was that Makurat and Taurasi didn’t get to play against each other. Taurasi sat out the game with back soreness.

Makurat, meanwhile, had 10 points, four rebounds, three assists, and two steals in 31 minutes off the bench."

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Watching the replay, just realized Megan has changed her shot. It no longer has the flat trajectory nice arc. Hadn’t spotted this earlier not paying attention.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
What is you take, Chelsea Gray / Skylar Smith / Kelsey Plum which would you select ?

Chelsea struggled on defense (lacks quickness).

Skylar Smith did not seem to be in the flow on offense (team practice factor probably) seemed like she jumped on every possession to pass the ball did not seem to play under control.

Kelsey Plum very disciplined hustled delivered passes to right person at the right time, shot selection was good and in flow of offense, made them as well, good outing.

Kayla McBride makes this team on defense and hustle alone, she also hits shots at high percentage, very good game.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in how the USA Team roster that played tonight compares to the one that lost to Oregon back in November. If the rosters were largely the same, then the fact that Oregon defeated Team USA and UConn lost by 15 points is concerning for the outcome of next Monday night's game. However, I suspect that Team USA was missing more players in November than they are now, and in any case the November version would have had less practice time together.

Attachments

• 129D4CB1-8993-4D4C-BEDD-789F4F6E6928.png
    129D4CB1-8993-4D4C-BEDD-789F4F6E6928.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 98

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From just this game I agree Rogue, though I think Skylar and Kelsey are competing for PG and Kayla and Chelsea more for off guard.

Personally I think Kelsey strikes me as the most USA style player with Kayla second. There seems to be very little 'me' in them.

I was impressed more in this game by Plum than any other game I have watched with her. She was locked in to dangerfield who while a college kid is still FAST and she bothered her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What is you take, Chelsea Gray / Skylar Smith / Kelsey Plum which would you select ?

Skylar Smith did not seem to be in the flow on offense (team practice factor probably) seemed like she jumped on every possession to pass the ball did not seem to play under control.

Kelsey Plum very disciplined hustled delivered passes to right person at the right time, shot selection was good and in flow of offense, made them as well, good outing.

Kayla McBride makes this team on defense and hustle alone, she also hits shots at high percentage, very good game.

Gray led the team in assists w/ 6, Plum had 5. Gray had some really unnecessary hot dog passes, some of which might have led to TOs, several of which definitely weren't delivered on target or on time, so took away scoring opportunities. She was also 1-8 from the floor.

Plum was really solid of defense I thought. She did foul a jump shooter really late in the game (approx. 27 seconds left?) and on another occasion left her assignment to double team the ball handler at the top of the key. Whoever it was whipped a pass to the wide open Christyn Williams who knocked in a really long 2 (toe on the line?). Not sure why the double team there. She also basically won the game for USA. They were down 2, she scored 8 straight and then assisted on another bucket to put them firmly back in control in Q4. That was after sitting the entire 3rd quarter.

Diggins-Smith hit a couple buckets but didn't really make much impact.

I notice Clarendon isn't even mentioned. She was invisible in her brief time on the floor.

It was only 1 game, but at least on Monday night Plum was the best of this bunch easily (I'm not including McBride because she plays a different position I would say).

Reaction Score

Gray, Plum, McBride, Diggins ... sooo much talent .. of the four, I like Kelsey best! .. altho, Gray is the best pure point guard/passer/facilitator...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Plum was definitely the best after Sue and her quick offensive spurts started the final push bu USA. But Plum career wise has really cold streaks and I am not sure you can rely on her as a primary backup.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She got it sorted out.

You could play the soundtrack of Disneyland's "When you wish upon a star" very softly in the background to make this meeting complete. :D Anna finally got her wish.

1580270404216.png

Cliff Edwards (the voice of Disney's the voice of Jiminy Cricket

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Some things I noticed. It appeared that team USA had decided they would not attack Uconn at their weakness by taking the ball inside. Although they did so in the fourth quarter at will. They also gave Uconn a handicap from the very beginning. KLS was Uconn's most valuable player in the game. Her defense created most of the open looks that Uconn enjoyed in their 2nd Q comeback. Part of it was more than likely because she had never practiced with the team, but a major part was that she is just a weak defender. I can see why she did not get much time on the court with her team. My apologies to KLS. I was mistaken. It was not her that played horrible defense in the second quarter. She was not even in the game. I mistook her for Stewie. USA was playing with Stewie, Fowles, and Charles in the lineup. That left Stewart to on Walker and other guards who just ate her up. Stewie is not ready to play and it was obvious throughout the game. Teams can usually compensate for defensive weaknesses via the defensive scheme, but the team really didn't have the time to do so. Even so, most players were eating her alive when she was one on one with them. Especially Anna. That was just a ridiculous line up to put on the floor, I suspect it was to put as many ex Uconn players together as possible.
I feel I have to retract my harsh criticism of KLS's defense in this game. I had just awakened and my eyes are not good anyway, so I mistook KLS for Stewie. KLS played some in the second half and while her defense was not stellar it was not horrible considering the circumstances. I am glad I rewatched the game and caught my mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom