USA Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA Postgame Thread

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Here is a video of Lou talking about Kobe and Gigi. The audio isnt clear. However, in the background you can see Anna meeting DT and getting a hug. I think one of the UConn staff(woman in white sweater) pushes Anna over to meet her.

Reaction Score
Seven USA players were in both games: Ogwumike, Fowles, Bird, Chelsea Gray, Diggins-Smith, Clarendon, and Plum. Four others played against Oregon: Seimone Augustus, DT, Napheesa, and Alisha Gray.
Four played against Uconn tonight: Stewart, Charles, McBryde, KLS.

On another subject, at the 5:36 point of the second quarter, USA led UCONN 25-17. USA subbed Bird, Charles, and Diggins for Ogwumike, Gray, and Plum. UCONN subbed Bent and Adebayo. for ONO and Williams. At the 2:57 mark, Adebayo gave UCONN their first lead of the game, 28-27, on an assist from CD. Talk about the bench stepping up!

Reaction Score
The first half was UConn's best game (half) of the season. They played aggressively, weren't intimidated. They drove to the basket, rebounded aggressively. Looked great!

But too many mistakes, especially unforced turnovers. And Makurat ran out of magic- 2 for 8 from outside.

But honestly, I wonder whether Team USA isn't getting too old for this. The older veterans were on the bench late in the second half when USA started sticking it to UConn. Wonder whether some older players are just not going to make the team this year....

But exciting, exhilarating basketball from UConn in the first half!!! YEAHHHHH!!!!
Basically the older players that been on the team like Sue and Dee are on the team already! The same with Tina, Sylvia, Angel, Britney, and Elena! The only way they won't play is if they can't or don't want to. I haven't heard anything about Seimone but I would think the same for her.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in how the USA Team roster that played tonight compares to the one that lost to Oregon back in November. If the rosters were largely the same, then the fact that Oregon defeated Team USA and UConn lost by 15 points is concerning for the outcome of next Monday night's game. However, I suspect that Team USA was missing more players in November than they are now, and in any case the November version would have had less practice time together.
To begin with it is not really reliable to attempt to come to conclusions using comparative scores. All teams play varies from day today. If one is objective some information can be gleaned. Allot depends on how well we know the teams involved. Do we know them well enough to discern where on a sliding scale each effort reflected? Were their shots dropping? Were the misses a result of good defense or just cold shooting? We will just have to wait till Monday to find out the result.

I can and will point out some mistakes on your part. While the number of players remains the same the only constant is the core group of the USA team. Basically DT, Bird, Nneka. C. Gray, Diggins, Fowles, Augustus and Della Don. Della Don played in neither and is probably out because of injury. DT did not play at Uconn but played at Oregon. Augustus also played at Oregon. Other players are added according to availability. For the Uconn game the emphasis was on adding former Uconn players. Charles, Stewie ( who probably would not have played yet except for this game ) and KLS.

In respect to practice- The Oregon game was the last of three games in a row with basically the core group together except they lost Wilson. They had practiced for about a week before their first of three games so they were not really rusty. This group that played Uconn had not been together for a time and it was basically their first practice together as a group. It showed on defense more than offense.

In respect to shooting. Team USA did not shoot well and their percentage was pretty bad until the fourth Quarter. And it was not usually because Uconn played good defense.

Some things I noticed. It appeared that team USA had decided they would not attack Uconn at their weakness by taking the ball inside. Although they did so in the fourth quarter at will. They also gave Uconn a handicap from the very beginning. KLS was Uconn's most valuable player in the game. Her defense created most of the open looks that Uconn enjoyed in their 2nd Q comeback. Part of it was more than likely because she had never practiced with the team, but a major part was that she is just a weak defender. I can see why she did not get much time on the court with her team. My apologies to KLS. I was mistaken. It was not her that played horrible defense in the second quarter. She was not even in the game. I mistook her for Stewie. USA was playing with Stewie, Fowles, and Charles in the lineup. That left Stewart to on Walker and other guards who just ate her up. Stewie is not ready to play and it was obvious throughout the game. Teams can usually compensate for defensive weaknesses via the defensive scheme, but the team really didn't have the time to do so. Even so, most players were eating her alive when she was one on one with them. Especially Anna. That was just a ridiculous line up to put on the floor, I suspect it was to put as many ex Uconn players together as possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think what happened in the 4th Quarter besides Team USA flipping the Switch is some UConn players saw an Opportunity to win the Game. A couple of players tried to do too much and didn't let the Offense Flow. Then when UConn missed or had a Turn over, Team USA went down the court and scored a basket. All of a sudden a one possession game was a 4 or 5 possession game.
Team USA also had their better defenders in the game at the end. And especially - KLS was not on the floor for Uconn to take advantage of.

Reaction Score
I think it's one of the best games they've played all season, and considering the competition, that's a great sign. The pros are just bigger, faster, stronger, and more experienced. Megan really showed out and well and she will be a very high draft pick next year.
Because Megan did so well and with the new CBA. If she will leave early.

Reaction Score
You know Griner, Wilson and EDD didn't play tonight either, right?

Stewie and Charles grabbed some boards but they sure didn't hit many shots.
Stewies first game in 10 months.

Reaction Score
To begin with it is not really reliable to attempt to come to conclusions using comparative scores. All teams play varies from day today. If one is objective some information can be gleaned. Allot depends on how well we know the teams involved. Do we know them well enough to discern where on a sliding scale each effort reflected? Were their shots dropping? Were the misses a result of good defense or just cold shooting? We will just have to wait till Monday to find out the result.

I can and will point out some mistakes on your part. While the number of players remains the same the only constant is the core group of the USA team. Basically DT, Bird, Nneka. C. Gray, Diggins, Fowles, Augustus and Della Don. Della Don played in neither and is probably out because of injury. DT did not play at Uconn but played at Oregon. Augustus also played at Oregon. Other players are added according to availability. For the Uconn game the emphasis was on adding former Uconn players. Charles, Stewie ( who probably would not have played yet except for this game ) and KLS.

In respect to practice- The Oregon game was the last of three games in a row with basically the core group together except they lost Wilson. They had practiced for about a week before their first of three games so they were not really rusty. This group that played Uconn had not been together for a time and it was basically their first practice together as a group. It showed on defense more than offense.

In respect to shooting. Team USA did not shoot well and their percentage was pretty bad until the fourth Quarter. And it was not usually because Uconn played good defense.

Some things I noticed. It appeared that team USA had decided they would not attack Uconn at their weakness by taking the ball inside. Although they did so in the fourth quarter at will. They also gave Uconn a handicap from the very beginning. KLS was Uconn's most valuable player in the game. Her defense created most of the open looks that Uconn enjoyed in their 2nd Q comeback. Part of it was more than likely because she had never practiced with the team, but a major part was that she is just a weak defender. I can see why she did not get much time on the court with her team. Teams can usually compensate for defensive weaknesses via the defensive scheme, but the team really didn't have the time to do so. Even so, most players were eating her alive when she was one on one with them. Especially Anna.
KLS has been practicing with the National team for awhile. She is part of the USA program. Should she be on the team in 2020. No!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stewies first game in 10 months.

I'll give her a pass. It looked like she was moving well, her length was useful on defense. Of course she's not going to be in peak form coming back from an injury and not playing for so long.

Charles looked like she was continuing her poor shooting from last WNBA season.

Reaction Score
KLS has been practicing with the National team for awhile. She is part of the USA program. Should she be on the team in 2020. No!
There is a difference between the National Team and this pre-Olympic qualifying team. Most of the core Pro's did not practice with the National Team. They took off this Euro league season to do just that now.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between the National Team and this pre-Olympic qualifying team. Most of the core Pro's did not practice with the National Team. They took off this Euro league season to do just that now.
They do practice with each other at times. Like when Geno had team USA at the Werth Center in Stewies Sr. year. They had about 20 players for 3 days.

Reaction Score
You know Griner, Wilson and EDD didn't play tonight either, right?

Stewie and Charles grabbed some boards but they sure didn't hit many shots.
Napheesa didn’t play either. My point was that the USA frontcourt was mostly missing. That is Oregon’s strength beside Ionescu, who is WNBA level. We have some that will be at that level, but really none that are now. We played ok. I wasn’t expecting a win, and they had some good moments into the start of the 4th quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One more thing: UConn FT is 15 - 21, 71% .

They were 4-8 in the beginning Q when their nerves were particularly showing. Pretty good recovery stats.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What? USA sent out 11 pro players to wear us down. You don't think there was good reason to be tired in this game?

Again, physical fatigue is hard to gauge and I generally do not buy into it. But in this case, mental and emotional fatique with EVERYTHING going on was very understandable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here is a video of Lou talking about Kobe and Gigi. The audio isnt clear. However, in the background you can see Anna meeting DT and getting a hug. I think one of the UConn staff(woman in white sweater) pushes Anna over to meet her.

Great photo analysis. :D I think I would have missed it.

Reaction Score
I think what happened in the 4th Quarter besides Team USA flipping the Switch is some UConn players saw an Opportunity to win the Game. A couple of players tried to do too much and didn't let the Offense Flow. Then when UConn missed or had a Turn over, Team USA went down the court and scored a basket. All of a sudden a one possession game was a 4 or 5 possession game.
UConn had numerous open shots they missed in the 4th. Shots that went in most of the game weren't close in 4th. Up to Geno to figure out why.

Reaction Score
Again, physical fatigue is hard to gauge and I generally do not buy into it. But in this case, mental and emotional fatique with EVERYTHING going on was very understandable.
Not sure if its fatigue, mental toughness, or how the team sets up the offense in 4thQ of both the Baylor and USA games. Seems when under pressure, they set up well beyond the 3 point line and players, particularly Williams, get the ball so far from basket its difficult to start their normal offensive sets. Against the Tulsas of the world, they set up near the foul line.

Reaction Score
Exciting basketball for UConn through 3 quarters. They only trailed by one point at the end of 3.

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness...it was an exhibition game for pete's sake.
Our ladies played a solid game and can take a lot of positive things from it.
I am sure they were thrilled to play against their idols...
'Nuff said.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’ll keep it short:
  • This game was a celebration of WBB in general and UConn WBB in particular. At the same time, Geno and many of the players are hurting because of the tragedy that took the lives of Kobe and Gigi yesterday. One of the many great things about sports, is that for a couple of hours when you’re playing the game you can set aside some of life’s burdens, at least for a little while.
  • As an exhibition, the best thing about this game is that everybody got through it in one piece.
  • It looked as if all the players had some fun and, hopefully, Anna got to take a selfie with her childhood idol.

UConn kept the game closer than I thought they would. I enjoyed it for what it was, an exhibition.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Same point difference as UConn-Tenn. But unlike Tenn, UConn seemed to be on an even keel. Didn't notice any panic runs. Special props to Megan & Anna Mak. Tenn was in somewhat of a funk after the loss to UConn; I don't think this game will have the same effect on the UConn team & especially those two. Hopefully it doesn't impact CD & CW, who were often frustrated by the pro play. For an elderly point guard past retirement age, Bird can really do some damage & she defended the younger & faster Crystal quite well. Be interesting to see how US does against Kentucky. Wonder if any US players or potential players are trapped in China because of the various quarantines. Is there a thread on players playing in China?

The shorter time-clock combined with the size of the US Team (and their speed) caused problems for the team. CD especially seemed to have been affected fighting off 2 first class guards in Bird & Plum, plus Big Syl was like Lauren Cox on steroids (just a metaphor!).

Despite her 3 pt foul on Crystal, Plum's shooting burned UConn in Q4. Nice to see Stewie getting her sea legs, and she hasn't lost her competitive edge.

Also really nice to see Bent & Evelyn doing some excellent subbing, even though the US bench had (ahem) somewhat more depth. Griffin's play sometimes forced cheery noises from me. Olivia Nelson Odah-dah (per the elderly half time commentator's regional pronunciation) did not seem overwhelmed to me, and her FT shooting was the best I've seen in some time; plus she contributed some pretty good passing.

Nice night; cheered me up a little after all the Kobe & his daughter news.

Interesting that Andy Landers still can’t pronounce Liv’s name correctly. :eek:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom