USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tina Thompson herself was a starter on both of those teams by the way, and I wonder if she felt the committee/one person was destroying USA basketball at that time?

UC: An unnecessary aside:

Tina was a starter because she earned it.
perhaps not a superstar but a heckova excellent player

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC: An unnecessary aside:

Tina was a starter because she earned it.
perhaps not a superstar but a heckova excellent player
Tina had a great career -
I am just wondering if she was outraged when Yolanda Grifiths, Dawn Staley, and Lisa Leslie, her star teammates from the 2004 Olympic team were not part of the 2006 WC team and some college Junior with no experience in international competition was added to the team. Because it appears that is what she is complaining about this year.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Candace was first added to the national team as a collegian for the 2006 WC with no professional experience and no prior experience in the NT - she was added while Lisa Leslie, Yolanda Griffith, and Dawn Staley were politely asked to step aside, and a few others from the 2004 gold medal team were dropped. Lisa, Dawn, and Yolanda were all stars in 2006.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (May 23, 2006) - Continuing on its past success of building gold medal winning teams around a core group of internationally experienced players, USA Basketball, which has claimed gold at the last two FIBA World Championships and past three Olympic Games, announced today that three-time Olympic gold medalists Lisa Leslie (Los Angeles Sparks) and Sheryl Swoopes (Houston Comets), two-time Olympic gold medalist Katie Smith (Detroit Shock/Ohio State, 1993-96), 2000 Olympic gold medalist DeLisha Milton-Jones (Washington Mystics), and 2004 Olympic gold medalists Sue Bird (Seattle Storm), Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever) Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) and Tina Thompson (Houston Comets) have been selected as the first eight members of the 2006 USA Women's World Championship Team. The selections were made by the USA Basketball Women's Senior National Team Committee and approved by the USA Basketball Executive Committee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just for some perspective on NT team make-up and the 'rookie' slot:
1996 - Lobo - no pro experience (none of the team had any but she was the youngest at 22 by 2 years)
1998 - Holdsclaw - still in college, Wolters one year out of college
2000 - Holdsclaw - 1 yr pro
2002 - Bird - no pro experience, and Catchings 1 year pro.
2004 - Taurasi - no pro experience
2006 - Parker - still in college, Augustus 1 year pro
2008 - Fowles - no pro experience and Parker no pro experience
2010 - Moore - still in college and Charles no pro experience
2012 - Moore - 1 year pro
2014 - Stewart - still in college and Sims no pro experience
2016 - Stewart - no pro experience

Since a USA profession league was first being organized in 1996 there have been 10 NT competitions and in 8 of those teams there has been a player on the team with no pro experience and in the other 2 there has been a player with a single year of pro ball. In 4 of the 8 teams the player with no pro experience was still in college and three of those four times the player was a junior (Holdsclaw, Parker, and Stewart) - interesting to note all for of those years were WC years and not Olympics. In every one of those four instances that college player on the WC team has also been on the following Olympic team with no pro experience or in Moore's case a single year.

It is clear from the above tat USA basketball generally reserves one or sometimes two places for pre-professional or barely professional players, and I am sure that in each of those years there was a professional player with a stronger claim to be included than the 'rookie' and I am sure there was controversy about the rookie being included. Looking at the rookies that have been included with the exception of Lobo and Wolters who succumbed early to injuries and Holdsclaw whose personal issues exploded, the rest of the players have remain in the USA pool since their first selection.

Parker herself was twice selected to the NT over better and far more experienced professional players so can we please stop with the Stewart over Parker discussion - that isn't and never was the choice being made.

Tina Thompson herself was a starter on both of those teams by the way, and I wonder if she felt the committee/one person was destroying USA basketball at that time?

You make some good points, but Parker was never selected over better players. As a collegiate she averaged 13/6 on the senior national team and was a go to player at just 19 or 20 years old. And there wasn't anyone the caliber of 2016 Candace Parker who she was selected over.

I have no issue with Stewart being selected, I personally would've chopped one of the centers or Augustus/Angel over Stewsrt since I think it's important to incorporate young talent. That said, based on the fact that Geno is the head coach, there are 5 Huskies on the team and Parker gets snubbed...people who are looking for someone to blame have easy targets in UCONN/Geno. How much input Geno has in choosing the team is unknown to us despite people's claims that he has a ton of input and others saying it is solely up to the committ.

The only logical reason for axing Parker is some personal beef between Parker and someone at team USA or on the staff. People here trying to rationalize her not making the squad are grasping for straws. Strategically it makes zero sense to not include one of the world's best all around players. Fortunately for Team ISA, they are far more talented than anyone in the world so even without Parker (or anyone in their lineup), they shouldn't have any problem cruising to a title. USA's A, B, C and D team could probably take the gold this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Candace was first added to the national team as a collegian for the 2006 WC with no professional experience and no prior experience in the NT - she was added while Lisa Leslie, Yolanda Griffith, and Dawn Staley were politely asked to step aside, and a few others from the 2004 gold medal team were dropped. Lisa, Dawn, and Yolanda were all stars in 2006.

Dawn was a coach of the team, Griffith and Leslie both made the roster but didnt play. Parker also ended up being one of the team's best players that tournament.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Parker was on the 2012 Olympic team that Geno coached. Anyone who really thinks Geno had a say in Candace NOT making the team is kidding themselves. I don't know how to put it any more clearly. He wasn't even on the 5 member selection committee. But I suspect trying to convince you of the reality would be like trying to convince an atheist in the existence of God... Maybe if Carol came out and said "Geno had no say in keeping Parker off the team" that would be enough for you... but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
There's no doubt in my mind that Geno had "a say". He just didn't have " the say."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Parker was left off to make room for Stewie... in 2012 Stewie wasnt an issue so thats why CP3 was on the that team. AJones nor Cash should've made the teams they were on.
Without Asjha's defense on Cambage in the semi-finals in London, we might have been in the bronze medal game. Neither Fowles nor Parker could stop Liz.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i understand your thoughts but it appears that the selection committee thinks that there are 12 players in the US better than her...crazy...i think she should have been selected...hope the reason, the real reason she was not selected comes out some day...
The USA Basketball and Geno view:

They pick the 12 players who make up the best TEAM, not the 12 best players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The news was first reported by ESPN's Los Angeles reporter. Given the location of the reporter, I mentioned that the source was likely Parker herself or someone she told, eg, someone connected to the Sparks.
I agree with Cat. I also believe that Candace commented on it on Monday. Even if she hadn't leaked it, she shouldn't have commented until Wednesday. Here's the point, which is true at UConn and in USA Basketball: BEING A TEAM PLAYER TRUMPS TALENT. Candace has plenty of talent, but that was not the primary criterion. Get over it, folks!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Without Asjha's defense on Cambage in the semi-finals in London, we might have been in the bronze medal game. Neither Fowles nor Parker could stop Liz.
Jones was selected for to team to defend Cambage?

Is Cambage playing in the upcoming Games, I think she was injured a while back!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jones was selected for to team to defend Cambage?

Is Cambage playing in the upcoming Games, I think she was injured a while back!
I'm not sure why AJ was selected, but probably for her midrange shot and her defense. In the semi-finals, she was arguably our most important player. The Aussies led for the entire first half, because we could not stop Cambage. Parker was one who failed miserably at that task. People remember that we won the gold medal game against France convincingly. But we were in deep trouble in the semis and trailed at the half.

Reaction Score
You make some good points, but Parker was never selected over better players. As a collegiate she averaged 13/6 on the senior national team and was a go to player at just 19 or 20 years old. And there wasn't anyone the caliber of 2016 Candace Parker who she was selected over.

I have no issue with Stewart being selected, I personally would've chopped one of the centers or Augustus/Angel over Stewsrt since I think it's important to incorporate young talent. That said, based on the fact that Geno is the head coach, there are 5 Huskies on the team and Parker gets snubbed...people who are looking for someone to blame have easy targets in UCONN/Geno. How much input Geno has in choosing the team is unknown to us despite people's claims that he has a ton of input and others saying it is solely up to the committ.

The only logical reason for axing Parker is some personal beef between Parker and someone at team USA or on the staff. People here trying to rationalize her not making the squad are grasping for straws. Strategically it makes zero sense to not include one of the world's best all around players. Fortunately for Team ISA, they are far more talented than anyone in the world so even without Parker (or anyone in their lineup), they shouldn't have any problem cruising to a title. USA's A, B, C and D team could probably take the gold this year.

You and a lot of other LV fans have given a lot of Parker's scoring stats in those early years. What you never seem to remember was that the players she guarded also scored. A lot. parker was never much interested in playing defense in college, unless it was in the final seconds of a close game. I distinctly remember watching guards who had driven past the LV guards going by her as she stood there. Parker has gotten even better as an offensive player, finally, at the age of around 30 learning to shoot from behind the arc, at a mediocre efficiency. Sure, Parker is a star. She is a potent low post scorer, one of the best. But team USA doesn't need her and her spotty participation in the worlds (too busy to be there in either 2010 or 1014) didn't ingratiate her with the committee. This isn't Tennessee where she could come and go and miss practices with nothing more than a tap on the wrist. To me she's always been somewhat of a prima donna, unwilling to do the dirty work of basketball, setting picks and battling in the paint, preferring to stand out on the edges, calling for the ball. I understand you have a different view. I guess I would too if she represented the last time my team saw glory.

Reaction Score
You and a lot of other LV fans have given a lot of Parker's scoring stats in those early years. What you never seem to remember was that the players she guarded also scored. A lot. parker was never much interested in playing defense in college, unless it was in the final seconds of a close game. I distinctly remember watching guards who had driven past the LV guards going by her as she stood there. Parker has gotten even better as an offensive player, finally, at the age of around 30 learning to shoot from behind the arc, at a mediocre efficiency. Sure, Parker is a star. She is a potent low post scorer, one of the best. But team USA doesn't need her and her spotty participation in the worlds (too busy to be there in either 2010 or 1014) didn't ingratiate her with the committee. This isn't Tennessee where she could come and go and miss practices with nothing more than a tap on the wrist. To me she's always been somewhat of a prima donna, unwilling to do the dirty work of basketball, setting picks and battling in the paint, preferring to stand out on the edges, calling for the ball. I understand you have a different view. I guess I would too if she represented the last time my team saw glory.

This just tells me you have zero idea what you're talking about when it comes to Candace Parker. Perhaps look up Alberta Auguste's post regarding Parker. Paints a pretty different picture than yours. She was an excellent defender in college. She often guarded the 3 spot at 6'4 and at the top of the press. Spencer and Anosike guarded the 4 and 5 spot quite a bit. Tennessee held opponents under 60ppg for her career. She struggled versus Cambage in the first half but as another UConn fan said, Sue Bird could've guarded her in the second half. Cambage lost every ounce of energy in that first half. Charles couldn't guard her either. Fowles was injured and didn't play. Parker openly stated her disappointment and then came back with a 21 point 10 rebound gold medal game. She lead the team in blocks and rebounds for the tourney and was third in scoring. She was 3rd in FG% behind Angel and Sylvia and was 6th in assists.

Anyways, she got suspended for a half for a 3 minute curfew violation at her homecoming game against DePaul. She never missed a practice in her career and as everyone who played with her at Tennessee has said, she was the first one in the gym and last one out. At Tennessee, a missed practice would've been a 2 game suspension, regardless of which player it was.

I'll be waiting the rest of my life for an actual logical and respectful reason as the why she was cut... especially after doing their marketing for the last few months. "Hey, you are the face of the team but you can't come to Rio."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
f78354a028e8465da63d26057aef4e78.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand that LV fans are angry. UConn fans are as surprised as you that Parker wasn't chosen for the team so please dial down the aggression. If you want to discuss or argue, fine, but some fans' tones are turning hostile. Let's all remember we're adults discussing a game here.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'll be waiting the rest of my life for an actual logical and respectful reason as the why she was cut... especially after doing their marketing for the last few months. "Hey, you are the face of the team but you can't come to Rio."

Why are you owed a reason that she did not make the team? Those involved are being respectful by not giving any details.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dawn was a coach of the team, Griffith and Leslie both made the roster but didnt play. Parker also ended up being one of the team's best players that tournament.
Yes, Leslie and Griffiths were in the pool, but not on the actual team, and while Parker put up nice numbers, you cannot tell me that leaving probably the best center USA has ever had off a team to allow any college player onto the team was not 'suspect'. But ... that is what the USA committee does - it brings in a rookie or two to every team it sends out to a competition, and it has historically then stuck with that rookie for the next several cycles.

I am not actually knocking that Candace was brought into the 2006 and 2008 team, or that Holdsclaw was brought into the 1998/2000 team. It is what the USA national team has done for the last 20 years and it seems to work really well - I just am really tired of people pointing at the next college/rookie player Stewart and saying she should be left off the team. She is following the exact same pattern of Holdsclaw, Parker, and Moore - brought into the NT for a WC competition while still in college and retained in the NT for the next Olympics. So ... people can point to other players but leave Stewart out of it - of the four college players added to NT teams she is by far the most experienced with her 5 pre-NT gold medals and being the only one of them to twice be named USA women's player of the year.

FYI - Of the players on the team all but three have won more USA gold national team medals than Candace - Brittany Griner (1), Breanna Stewart (1) and EDD (0) - for the last two, this is only the second chance for them to make a team and EDD was injured the previous time. Griner had a chance to make the Olympic team in 2012 but was just finishing college and did not feel ready for the responsibility. Of the other nine players, 6 have played on all three of the Geno coached gold medal teams and the other three have played on two of the three. Of those former NT members who were dropped from this team - Candice Dupree is the only one to have played on 2 Geno coached teams, Odyssey, Nneka, and Parker have only made one of them (Sims was still in college, and Nneka has just graduated in 2012.)

As for Mechelle mentioning Nneka being the only #1 draft pick during an Olympic year not included in a NT - it is a very small sample size, and requires an assumption of equal quality entering the draft each year which is clearly not the case - the list includes only 4 players - Diana, Candace, Nneka, and Breanna - it is pretty easy to identify the one player who while a great basketball player stands out - DT, CP3 and Breanna were all NPOY, NCAA champions for at least the second time in a row, and MVP of that years FF. Love Nneka as a player and a person, but the other three players on that list are, as collegians, on a different level.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart has won national titles with USA Basketball across the many varying age groups she has played for internationally.

Reaction Score
I agree with Cat. I also believe that Candace commented on it on Monday. Even if she hadn't leaked it, she shouldn't have commented until Wednesday. Here's the point, which is true at UConn and in USA Basketball: BEING A TEAM PLAYER TRUMPS TALENT. Candace has plenty of talent, but that was not the primary criterion. Get over it, folks!

very well said...concentrate on player going and root for USA basketball

Reaction Score
Bottom line:If Geno had total influence over the selection committee then the vote to include/exclude certain players wouldn't be 3-2,they would be 5-0 for or against a given player.A 3-2 vote by a group of people would seem to indicate some sort of deliberation to determine an outcome. Geno may have a macro opinion as to the makeup of the team but the micro determinations are made by an organization that sits a group of people in a room for however long it takes to deliver a cohesive group of players to whomever has volunteered to coach the team.The fact that Candace only got two of the five people to vote for her i find perplexing but this committee weighs information that probably is only known by the people in that room.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart has won national titles with USA Basketball across the many varying age groups she has played for internationally.
Yep, Stewart is not the rookie, EDD is.

Reaction Score
This just tells me you have zero idea what you're talking about when it comes to Candace Parker. Perhaps look up Alberta Auguste's post regarding Parker. Paints a pretty different picture than yours. She was an excellent defender in college. She often guarded the 3 spot at 6'4 and at the top of the press. Spencer and Anosike guarded the 4 and 5 spot quite a bit. Tennessee held opponents under 60ppg for her career. She struggled versus Cambage in the first half but as another UConn fan said, Sue Bird could've guarded her in the second half. Cambage lost every ounce of energy in that first half. Charles couldn't guard her either. Fowles was injured and didn't play. Parker openly stated her disappointment and then came back with a 21 point 10 rebound gold medal game. She lead the team in blocks and rebounds for the tourney and was third in scoring. She was 3rd in FG% behind Angel and Sylvia and was 6th in assists.

Anyways, she got suspended for a half for a 3 minute curfew violation at her homecoming game against DePaul. She never missed a practice in her career and as everyone who played with her at Tennessee has said, she was the first one in the gym and last one out. At Tennessee, a missed practice would've been a 2 game suspension, regardless of which player it was.

Look, I base my opinion on what I saw. I have also read posts on other boards that Parker wasn't the most popular teammate at Tennessee, that she was given privileges not extended to the rest of team. I do remember that she spent a weekend in Florida with her then boyfriend and missed an entire practice for which she sat a half against a cupcake opponent. Now I admit that is all hearsay. But I've read it from posters I respect that have no allegiance to either UConn or Tenn. But as a LV fan you know all about rumors and hearsay being used against Geno and his player(s) so I needn't go there. I'll be waiting the rest of my life for an actual logical and respectful reason for the attacks on Geno from Knoxville.

Maybe Geno lobbied for her to be left off. I doubt that but let's say he did. Shouldn't the best coach in women's basketball be allowed to name his team? And since when have coaches been required to explain their rosters?

Logical and respectful reason? Tell me this. How is it that so many are up in arms that Parker isn't on the team because they have the conviction that the best players deserve to be on the team and yet many of these same people are saying that the best coach should step aside and "give someone else a chance". Shouldn't Geno be the coach until someone else comes along and proves themselves better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom