USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
reading these posts it dawned on me that Candace has not said a word about this...could there be a reason she was not chosen...she is a great player no doubt...but first off Griner does more for this Olympic team with her defense...Della Donne and Stewart are the future so i can understand their selections...Bird and Taurasi's credentials speak for themselves...if you chose CP over Whalen then you go with a single point guard and that would not work in international up and down style basketball...maybe chose her in place of Augustus however when healthy she is the best mid range shooter in the game which again is a staple of successful international basketball...all in all for the most part USA basketball got the selections correct...you can't please everyone...that being said i can't wait to see this team play...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
How do you know this? Do you specific inside info? Please provide specifics to support confidence. As for me, I have no idea.

I dunno
The state above by Husky Love seems quite unequivocal.

I asked Geno after one of his radio shows "how much say do you have in choosing the olympic team?"
His answer was that he would have more input this time rather than 2012 because USA Basketball trusts him more. He said there is a selection committee and he does not have a vote. However, he is the coach and will advocate. He's in the room during the decision process.

I'm not saying he's the one who said don't have Candace come back. I'm just pointing out that Geno does have a weighed opinion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno selects the team and the committee can either veto his decision or accept it. He already stated he would not have come back to coach unless DT and Sue were on the team. He gave the committee an ultimatum and they accepted his demands. How could he make those demands, if he had no say?
For real? That's what you took out of the article? Good grief, I'm not even going to address if it's a reading comprehension issue, but clearly you didn't read the article. Here's what Geno actually said:

I wouldn’t be good enough as a coach to guide the team through a gold medal [at Rio 2016],” Auriemma said at the end of a three-day national team camp at the University of Connecticut on Tuesday. “I need them to help me. That’s how good they are, and that’s how smart they are. And that’s how used to winning they are. So, I wouldn’t trust myself to be able to do it without them.”

I think [Taurasi] knows, and particularly her and Sue, I think they know one of my reasons for wanting to do it in the first place was, obviously, being an Olympic coach means a lot, but the opportunity to coach the two of them again was pretty powerful,”

His point was that if they chose to retire, he wasn't going to coach the team. The fact that they decided to come back sealed it for him. To say, or even imply, that he gave US Basketball some kind of ultimatum is so wrong that it's laughable... except for the fact that some people like you actually believe it...

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
For real? That's what you took out of the article? Good grief, I'm not even going to address if it's a reading comprehension issue, but clearly you didn't read the article. Here's what Geno actually said:

I wouldn’t be good enough as a coach to guide the team through a gold medal [at Rio 2016],” Auriemma said at the end of a three-day national team camp at the University of Connecticut on Tuesday. “I need them to help me. That’s how good they are, and that’s how smart they are. And that’s how used to winning they are. So, I wouldn’t trust myself to be able to do it without them.”

I think [Taurasi] knows, and particularly her and Sue, I think they know one of my reasons for wanting to do it in the first place was, obviously, being an Olympic coach means a lot, but the opportunity to coach the two of them again was pretty powerful,”

To say, or even imply, that he gave US Basketball some kind of ultimatum is so wrong that it's laughable... except for the fact that some people like you actually believe it...
it CLEARLY is an ultimatum if you consider the possibility that at least one of them might not make the team otherwise, for any reason. Let's see. Age. Need for younger guard(s) who can keep up with the flow? The bottom line is that if this team wins gold, it will be forgotten. If the team doesn't win gold, there will be H___ to pay. Tune back later in the summer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it CLEARLY is an ultimatum if you consider the possibility that at least one of them might not make the team otherwise, for any reason. Let's see. Age. Need for younger guard(s) who can keep up with the flow? The bottom line is that if this team wins gold, it will be forgotten. If the team doesn't win gold, there will be H___ to pay. Tune back later in the summer.
Then clearly you need reading comprehension lessons too because you missed the very first paragraph.

Geno Auriemma doesn’t think he would have returned to coach the U.S. women’s basketball team at a second straight Olympics unless Sue Bird and Diana Taurasicame back, too

So let's look at the opening line. He "doesn't think he would have returned to coach the team". His decision to return to coach the 2016 Olympic team was MADE BACK IN 2013. I don't know how to make it more clear. It's really simple and a reading comprehension issue. STOP accusing Geno of doing something he did not.

It was August 11, 2012 that Diana stated flat out that she was coming back for the 2016 Olympics and she dragged Sue Bird and Tamika Catchings along with her. That was when Dee and probably Sue made their decisions to play in 1 more Olympics. Geno made his decision to coach the team officially on September 5, 2013. To flat out state, never mind even imply, that Geno gave the committee some kind of ultimatum on putting Sue and Dee on the team would be so laughable if people didn't actually seem to believe it. Ludicrous. READ before you post.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

When would Geno have given this alleged ultimatum? In 2013 when he agreed to return? Or April 2016 during the selection process?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
How do you know this? Do you specific inside info? Please provide specifics to support confidence. As for me, I have no idea.
Well, he's said he wouldn't come back if DT and Sue didn't make the team. And they asked him in an interview and he basically said that yes, he does have influence.

Again, I'm not saying Geno went in and demanded she be left off. But I sincerely doubt that he has absolutely no input into the team's makeup. It's just not plausible.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
'sides, if Geno didn't want Parker on the team, how on earth did she get on USA teams in previous years.

If I eat asparagus and I hate it, I choose not to eat it again. Just because I ate it once doesn't mean that I want to eat it again.

Sorry, Candace, for comparing you to asparagus.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks. Cash wasn't one of the final 25, was she? I think Griner and EDD make the 2012 team, if healthy. Am I right?

ETA: After winning the championship on 3 April 2012, Griner decided to withdraw her candidacy for a roster spot on the 2012 U.S. Olympic women's basketball team. A month later Griner broke her wrist after jumping off her skateboard when she was going down a ramp.[23]

During the 2012–13 season, Delle Donne again fought Lyme disease, missing four games due to the illness.

What does BG breaking her wrist after withdrawing her name have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
You obviously didn't bother to read Dawn's statements about the younger USA guards, she said they weren't ready to play at this level. Whether you like Dawn or not, she knows more about the international game, then you do.

Reaction Score
Geno selects the team and the committee can either veto his decision or accept it. He already stated he would not have come back to coach unless DT and Sue were on the team. He gave the committee an ultimatum and they accepted his demands. How could he make those demands, if he had no say?
What is your source? Don't name the article linked above, as your statement is not in line with that; it does not quote him as saying "...he would not have come back to coach unless DT and Sue were on the team. ...".

Where is your proof?

Without this information, this is a slanderous post. Please post your backup to these statements.

Reaction Score
Parker's situation reminds me a little bit of 2012 when Cappie Pondexter wasn't selected despite being named one of the top 15 players to have ever played in the WNBA in 2011 and had played on the 2008 squad. Don't know if her omission was due to her relationship with Geno or if USA basketball was upset with her decision to split her focus between basketball and her fashion business, but USA basketball has made some choices over the years that seem biased, petty and very unfair to some of us wbb fans. I just can't think of a valid reason to leave Parker off the team. She is too great of a player.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“I think the committee has a tough decision ahead of it,” said USA and Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma, who has directed the USA National Team to an overall 23-0 record and gold medals at the 2012 Olympic Games and the 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championships. “When I look at this list of athletes, we could split them down the middle and have two very competitive teams. We have a great mix of gold medalists and players who are hungry to play in their first Olympics. There is versatility at all positions. Our posts are the strongest we’ve seen in years, we have guys who can shoot, guys who can defend, and I’m just happy I don’t have to make the decision as to who will be playing in Rio.”

Finalists For 2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team

Reaction Score
Tyler Summit may have played a part in CP not making the team. Actually I have no facts to base that statement on. Much like most have no facts to blame Geno yet they continue to speculate.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Didn't Griner take her name out of consideration for the 2012 team because of a family member's health? (Mom, IIRC?)

That is what she said at the time but if you read her book she admits that it was really due to more than that.

Reaction Score
reading these posts it dawned on me that Candace has not said a word about this...could there be a reason she was not chosen...she is a great player no doubt...but first off Griner does more for this Olympic team with her defense...Della Donne and Stewart are the future so i can understand their selections...Bird and Taurasi's credentials speak for themselves...if you chose CP over Whalen then you go with a single point guard and that would not work in international up and down style basketball...maybe chose her in place of Augustus however when healthy she is the best mid range shooter in the game which again is a staple of successful international basketball...all in all for the most part USA basketball got the selections correct...you can't please everyone...that being said i can't wait to see this team play...
Yes she has. Monday she said she was surprised and disappointed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Parker's situation reminds me a little bit of 2012 when Cappie Pondexter wasn't selected despite being named one of the top 15 players to have ever played in the WNBA in 2011 and had played on the 2008 squad. Don't know if her omission was due to her relationship with Geno or if USA basketball was upset with her decision to split her focus between basketball and her fashion business, but USA basketball has made some choices over the years that seem biased, petty and very unfair to some of us wbb fans. I just can't think of a valid reason to leave Parker off the team. She is too great of a player.
With Cappy there was a specific NT team event (training camp or something) that she declined to attend because she was at NY fashion week or something - while she was not selected for that team (I believe it was Whalen's first selection) she was back in the pool for the following team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kelsey Bone took to Twitter to express her thoughts:

Kelsey Bone (@kelseybone3) | Twitter
Lets see - she dumps on Staley, dumps on her A&M assistant coach, and now dumps on USA basketball - OK.
What a lot of players do not realize is one they pass the age specific USA teams they are no longer just competing with their own age group and a few players a year older or younger than them - by PanAm and WUG games they are competing against a 4-5 year window of talent and once they leave school they are competing against a 12+ year universe of talent. She had her first decent year as a pro this past year but while she and Griner were trading the 1/2 position in their class in HS, Griner has quickly moved well ahead of her in college and as a pro.

As far as being true to yourself - always good advice, but being harsh and public in your criticism of others is not a great way to win friends and influence people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom