USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Parker's situation reminds me a little bit of 2012 when Cappie Pondexter wasn't selected despite being named one of the top 15 players to have ever played in the WNBA in 2011 and had played on the 2008 squad. Don't know if her omission was due to her relationship with Geno or if USA basketball was upset with her decision to split her focus between basketball and her fashion business, but USA basketball has made some choices over the years that seem biased, petty and very unfair to some of us wbb fans. I just can't think of a valid reason to leave Parker off the team. She is too great of a player.
Geno and Cappie have had a freiendship going back to when he recruited her. The below article has more info on the 2012 team selection.

Will Cappie Pondexter have shot to make 2012 Olympic team?

Hmmm, this qutoe is in that article:

As Auriemma said, "When you're picking this team, the committee is trying to take in consideration so many things. When we went to the World Championships two Octobers ago, that team we took there had an unbelievable run. That was a phenomenal team. We played tremendous basketball and won a gold medal against the Czech Republic on their home court.

"If the committee had asked me, 'What do you want the Olympic team to be, I would have said, 'Hey, give me that [World Championship] team back.' And I think the changes that the committee made to that team have made the team better".

Reaction Score
reading these posts it dawned on me that Candace has not said a word about this...could there be a reason she was not chosen...she is a great player no doubt...but first off Griner does more for this Olympic team with her defense...Della Donne and Stewart are the future so i can understand their selections...Bird and Taurasi's credentials speak for themselves...if you chose CP over Whalen then you go with a single point guard and that would not work in international up and down style basketball...maybe chose her in place of Augustus however when healthy she is the best mid range shooter in the game which again is a staple of successful international basketball...all in all for the most part USA basketball got the selections correct...you can't please everyone...that being said i can't wait to see this team play...
YOU CAN'T LEAVE ONE OF THE TOP 5 PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, OFF THE TEAM. PERIOD!!!! This is not a McD's AA team. Whoever is responsible for this slight, should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely, Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
but you and I both know this will not deter the UConn haters from blaming the absence of CP on Geno. I don't have to remind you who the majority of those folks root for. :rolleyes:

And who cares. Besides.....they have another coach they need to worry about.

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but it seems everyone's moved on from that one so I'll repost it here for some thoughts:

I'll start off by saying personally I would have picked Parker over a couple of the vets but there is a credible argument for leaving her off the team and it's purely tactical.

Floor Spacing- Think about it. Candace operates out of the post and generally doesn't have much outside range (About a 30% 3pt shooter). This issue is compounded by the fact that she can't really guard opposing 5s. Which leads to the necessity that she plays next to one of Griner, Fowles, or Charles. This limits the space for those bigs to operate and get their touches in as well as the overall team spacing in general. This has been a recurring issue with the Sparks and led to talk of them trading Ogwumike because of it

Instead by having stretch bigs (Delle Donne, Stewart and to a somewhat lesser extent Catchings) the team has ideal floor spacing with one big in the post and the rest on the floor having outside shooting without any sacrifices to the team's defense. In addition those three stretch bigs are exceptional shot blockers and help defenders. I also imagine Team USA plenty teams spreading them out with multiple shooters which makes having 2 post players not as comfortable guarding on the perimeter less than ideal.

I felt the need to post this somewhere as I saw nobody looking beyond the immediate hot take and the "She's a star" argument which is fair and expected. Again I still would have picked her over a few vets like Augustus or Catchings but there is some rationale behind leaving her off the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Parker's situation reminds me a little bit of 2012 when Cappie Pondexter wasn't selected despite being named one of the top 15 players to have ever played in the WNBA in 2011 and had played on the 2008 squad. Don't know if her omission was due to her relationship with Geno or if USA basketball was upset with her decision to split her focus between basketball and her fashion business, but USA basketball has made some choices over the years that seem biased, petty and very unfair to some of us wbb fans. I just can't think of a valid reason to leave Parker off the team. She is too great of a player.

Parker's situation doesn't remind me of Cappie's at all, but nice attempt to pile on make that all about Geno. Her relationship with Geno was just fine; if anything, Geno was pretty supportive of Cappie after the World Championship fiasco. It was Cappie's choice to pass on the World Championships in 2010, citing fatigue after the WNBA season and then showing up soon thereafter at fashion week. If that decision caused her to be left off the Olympic team in 2012, then I say oh well. USA BB moved on to Lindsay Whalen and that has turned out quite well. I doubt many people noticed or cared that Cappie wasn't on the 2012 team. I suspect the same will be true of Parker and the 2016 team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
it CLEARLY is an ultimatum if you consider the possibility that at least one of them might not make the team otherwise, for any reason. Let's see. Age. Need for younger guard(s) who can keep up with the flow? The bottom line is that if this team wins gold, it will be forgotten. If the team doesn't win gold, there will be H___ to pay. Tune back later in the summer.

Saying there was an ultimatum based on what was said in that article is beyond ridiculous.

Oh my, there may be hell to pay later in the summer. Forget curing cancer, solving world hunger or achieving peace in the middle east. What if Team USA without Candace Parker doesn't win gold? Well, by golly, there will be hell to pay. May God be with us all.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Parker's situation doesn't remind me of Cappie's at all, but nice attempt to pile on make that all about Geno. Her relationship with Geno was just fine; if anything, Geno was pretty supportive of Cappie after the World Championship fiasco. It was Cappie's choice to pass on the World Championships in 2010, citing fatigue after the WNBA season and then showing up soon thereafter at fashion week. If that decision caused her to be left off the Olympic team in 2012, then I say oh well. USA BB moved on to Lindsay Whalen and that has turned out quite well. I doubt many people noticed or cared that Cappie wasn't on the 2012 team. I suspect the same will be true of Parker and the 2016 team.

As an RU fan I agree with you this is nothing like Cappie in 2012. And the USA team will likely win gold no matter which 12 players they picked out of 25 finalists. But given the more than 400 posts on just this board alone on the topic, not to mentioned the many national headlines, I think you are very wrong that people aren't noticing Parker isn't on the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As an RU fan I agree with you this is nothing like Cappie in 2012. And the USA team will likely win gold no matter which 12 players they picked out of 25 finalists. But given the more than 400 posts on just this board alone on the topic, not to mentioned the many national headlines, I think you are very wrong that people aren't noticing Parker isn't on the team.

I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about once the Olympic games take place and are over. I never said that people aren't noticing now; I've noticed the number of posts just like you have. I don't understand why people care so much that she's not on the team. Team USA has done fine without her in the past 2 world championships and will do fine without her at the Olympic games in Rio. Even when she played for Team USA (e.g., London Olympics), they had to win without her. I have no problem that she's not on the team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The article does kinda imply that Stewart took Parker's slot. Let's see, nine returning players, so three not returning. A. Jones is retired, CP, who is the third? (Dupree, I think). Three added are Britney Griner, EDD, and Stewart, all tall. Do the math.
Parker was left off to make room for Stewie... in 2012 Stewie wasnt an issue so thats why CP3 was on the that team. AJones nor Cash should've made the teams they were on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dunno
The state above by Husky Love seems quite unequivocal.

I asked Geno after one of his radio shows "how much say do you have in choosing the olympic team?"
His answer was that he would have more input this time rather than 2012 because USA Basketball trusts him more. He said there is a selection committee and he does not have a vote. However, he is the coach and will advocate. He's in the room during the decision process.

I'm not saying he's the one who said don't have Candace come back. I'm just pointing out that Geno does have a weighed opinion.
Im really enjoying your post lately, you've been a mellow fellow this season

Reaction Score
Geno and Cappie have had a freiendship going back to when he recruited her. The below article has more info on the 2012 team selection.

Will Cappie Pondexter have shot to make 2012 Olympic team?

Hmmm, this qutoe is in that article:

As Auriemma said, "When you're picking this team, the committee is trying to take in consideration so many things. When we went to the World Championships two Octobers ago, that team we took there had an unbelievable run. That was a phenomenal team. We played tremendous basketball and won a gold medal against the Czech Republic on their home court.

"If the committee had asked me, 'What do you want the Olympic team to be, I would have said, 'Hey, give me that [World Championship] team back.' And I think the changes that the committee made to that team have made the team better".
Thanks for posting that article. Geno coached the team that won that world championship he referenced, so I have to believe his preference for Whalen in 2012 helped seal Cappie's fate. Whalen is a good player, but I still think Cappie was purposely punished for taking some time for herself. Parker has taken some time off too, so one might consider that this was a factor, but certainly no one considered leaving Diana off the team because she took time off from basketball. I don't believe it is only Geno that makes these decisions - the committee is certainly responsible, but if I were on the committee, I would take the coaches preferences into account before making my decision.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
That is what she said at the time but if you read her book she admits that it was really due to more than that.
Welp, I guess it's now clear that I haven't read her book... :p

Thanks for the reply.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that article. Geno coached the team that won that world championship he referenced, so I have to believe his preference for Whalen in 2012 helped seal Cappie's fate. Whalen is a good player, but I still think Cappie was purposely punished for taking some time for herself. Parker has taken some time off too, so one might consider that this was a factor, but certainly no one considered leaving Diana off the team because she took time off from basketball. I don't believe it is only Geno that makes these decisions - the committee is certainly responsible, but if I were on the committee, I would take the coaches preferences into account before making my decision.

When did Taurasi take time off from playing for USA Basketball? She may have missed an off-year European tour but I don't believe she passed on a major competition. Even when injured, she attended training camps. If you're talking last season in the WNBA, I can't imagine that matters to USA BB nor should it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When did Taurasi take time off from playing for USA Basketball? She may have missed an off-year European tour but I don't believe she passed on a major competition. Even when injured, she attended training camps. If you're talking last season in the WNBA, I can't imagine that matters to USA BB nor should it.

If I am not mistaken she was on site but not participating in the last training camp, no? Didn't her Russian contract forbid her from playing anywhere else until their season was over?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken she was on site but not participating in the last training camp, no? Didn't her Russian contract forbid her from playing anywhere else until their season was over?

She was there and practiced with the team.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
reading these posts it dawned on me that Candace has not said a word about this...could there be a reason she was not chosen...she is a great player no doubt...but first off Griner does more for this Olympic team with her defense...Della Donne and Stewart are the future so i can understand their selections...Bird and Taurasi's credentials speak for themselves...if you chose CP over Whalen then you go with a single point guard and that would not work in international up and down style basketball...maybe chose her in place of Augustus however when healthy she is the best mid range shooter in the game which again is a staple of successful international basketball...all in all for the most part USA basketball got the selections correct...you can't please everyone...that being said i can't wait to see this team play...

Excuse, me, Candace has said quite a bit. In fact, she leaked her non-selection to the press the day BEFORE the USA BB committee announced the team. It was all over the internet and social media.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh yeah? In that case the press that I read was wrong as it stated that she was present but not participating.

Oh yeah? Provide a link. I recall watching a video with her playing. She was there in any event so it's not responsive to my question.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Oh yeah? In that case the press that I read was wrong as it stated that she was present but not participating.
Well you are correct then. The press you read was wrong. Does this look like participation to you or not??????

dtcamp.JPG

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think Geno has influence on the roster is kidding themselves. I'm not going to get into who's right or wrong in terms of leaving Candace off, but Geno definitely has a say and he and the committee didn't choose her. Such is life. Could happen to any one of the UConn players next cycle.
I would guess that if anyone had specific proof that Geno influences the ROSTER of the Olympic team--they should publish it.
But speculation is SO MUCH BETTER THAN PROOF~~!!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well you are correct then. The press you read was wrong. Does this look like participation to you or not??????

View attachment 13422

It sure does, and I am thrilled that I am wrong. Next to BG, DT is my favorite player on the planet. And I love that she and BG just wrapped up a season in Russia and will now be playing together throughout the summer. I hope that DT can help BG continue to mature, both as a person and a basketball player.

Reaction Score
I don't know how much things have changed over the years regarding coach's input. I remember for the 1996 Olympics Vanderveer did NOT want Lobo on the team and she sure didn't play much. Obviously coming off the massive uptick in interest of the "95" undefeated UCONN team the powers that be really wanted her on that team. Maybe someday we'll hear the real reason why Parker wasn't selected. Sure wasn't talent.
You just proved that the Coach has no say in who is selected. You also proved the coach dictates who plays and who does not.
Seems this should dispel any more speculation along those lines..
Geno may be the big DOG in WBB college basketball but I have few doubts only UConn fans think of in God like terms. Certainly not ND or Baylor or USC or Stanford (didn't they destroy this gods 90 plus winning streak mid way?)...there may be others (as the Alerts say)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom