US Men | Page 3 | The Boneyard

US Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bird and Taurasi would laugh their arses off if they heard fans here were arguing they are more skilled basketball players than Kyrie and Klay.

There is a difference between skills and athleticism.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For all this discussion, the men go for Gold tomorrow after toughing it out against the always-game Argentinian and Spanish teams. A loss to Serbia would be shocking and devastating.

Everything still looks good for Team USA basketball on all fronts. Other than the fact we're doomed, of course.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between skills and athleticism.

I guess I would need to ask what "skills" DT and Sue own that Kyrie and Klay don't then?

I love watching those 2 ladies, fantastic basketball players by the way. Diana is by far, overall, the best I've seen since I've watched the game after UConn women became prominent - not close. But I'm not sure what you are saying here just curious.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I guess I would need to ask what "skills" DT and Sue own that Kyrie and Klay don't then?

I love watching those 2 ladies, fantastic basketball players by the way. Diana is by far, overall, the best I've seen since I've watched the game after UConn women became prominent - not close. But I'm not sure what you are saying here just curious.
I haven't really had much to say on the men vs. women thing because in a way it's like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruit, they both grow on trees and are from the same general family, but they are also very different.

There's no comparison from a physical gifts perspective - Even below average D1 college men's players are more physically gifted than the very best women's players in the word (players of the same size for example - a guy who was 5'10" like Sue or 6'0" like Dee). It's just a fact that men are faster, can jump higher, are quicker etc etc. I would say that probably even an average DIII men's college team would beat the Women's National Team, provided the size of the players was similar.

But I think (not trying to speak for Blackbird) what he may be trying to say is what goes on between the ears and how a team is run... those are things the women just simply do better. I don't think there is any debate that Kyrie and Klay are better dunkers, jumpers, are quicker and more athletic by a mile. But the men's team is mostly 1 on 1 basketball. Give the ball to someone and let them make a play. Or make one pass and let that guy make the play.

I think our men's team is amazing. But I prefer the play of the women's team. Just like in watching the NBA, in general I prefer watching Golden State or San Antonio play - their brand is more team basketball. But in a world where 9 times out of 10, dunks are the "play of the day", sheer athleticism is preferred by most over tremendous team play.

I do wish people would stop comparing, but also I wish some of the men's fans would be less sensitive (not you - just in general). Just my $.02...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For all this discussion, the men go for Gold tomorrow after toughing it out against the always-game Argentinian and Spanish teams. A loss to Serbia would be shocking and devastating.

Everything still looks good for Team USA basketball on all fronts. Other than the fact we're doomed, of course.

You do know that Serbia lost to the US in these games by 3 points?

Reaction Score
I haven't really had much to say on the men vs. women thing because in a way it's like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruit, they both grow on trees and are from the same general family, but they are also very different.

There's no comparison from a physical gifts perspective - Even below average D1 college men's players are more physically gifted than the very best women's players in the word (players of the same size for example - a guy who was 5'10" like Sue or 6'0" like Dee). It's just a fact that men are faster, can jump higher, are quicker etc etc. I would say that probably even an average DIII men's college team would beat the Women's National Team, provided the size of the players was similar.

But I think (not trying to speak for Blackbird) what he may be trying to say is what goes on between the ears and how a team is run... those are things the women just simply do better. I don't think there is any debate that Kyrie and Klay are better dunkers, jumpers, are quicker and more athletic by a mile. But the men's team is mostly 1 on 1 basketball. Give the ball to someone and let them make a play. Or make one pass and let that guy make the play.

I think our men's team is amazing. But I prefer the play of the women's team. Just like in watching the NBA, in general I prefer watching Golden State or San Antonio play - their brand is more team basketball. But in a world where 9 times out of 10, dunks are the "play of the day", sheer athleticism is preferred by most over tremendous team play.

I do wish people would stop comparing, but also I wish some of the men's fans would be less sensitive (not you - just in general). Just my $.02...

Sorry eric love ya but please. Kyrie is a great passer and has all the skills and more than any of them. He does things with the ball they can only dream of, hence why he is able to play a bit more one on one. Klay is more of a shooter but has all the skills necessary to play in the NBA. I mean I get the way they play vs each other is much prettier because they're so much better than everyone but please stop the frivolity. You have to have "skills", mad mind you, to play in the NBA. They can do everything the girls do they just play in a totally different game and it's up to you which one is more to your liking.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

They're losing by 3...plus 38 at the moment.

This group of NBA players had not played together for the past 8 - 12 years like the women's team so to expect them the play as cohesively as the women right from the beginning was unrealistic. Even without LeBron, Steph, Westbrook, Kobe, Davis, etc., the men are still the best that the world has to offer and simply play a different game than the women do. I happen to enjoy the women's game more, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the talent of the men. Durant is 7-0 feet tall and look at what he can do on the perimeter.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At 82-43: ... they are obviously bad for men's basketball. :oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They're losing by 3...plus 38 at the moment.

This group of NBA players had not played together for the past 8 - 12 years like the women's team so to expect them the play as cohesively as the women right from the beginning was unrealistic. Even without LeBron, Steph, Westbrook, Kobe, Davis, etc., the men are still the best that the world has to offer and simply play a different game than the women do. I happen to enjoy the women's game more, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the talent of the men. Durant is 7-0 feet tall and look at what he can do on the perimeter.

While it would have been nice to see those players play.... its also nice to see the 10 players who won their first gold medals today. Especially Paul George... coming back from that horrific injury sustained while prepping for the 2014 world championships.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Surprising Results, Not that the USA won, but the margin of Victory. Didn't see Team USA blowing out Serbia. Serbia got into foul trouble in the 1st quarter and didn't have the depth to keep up with Team USA. Best Game of the Olympics for Team USA. Congrats to Team USA.

Media Experts are saying USA won't have trouble getting elite players to play in the Tokyo games as it will be a marketing gold mine for them.

Reaction Score
At the end of the 1st half, a great team play Thompson, to George, to Irving, to Thompson, to Durant, to Anthony, and back to Durant for 3. Doug Collins described it as the play of the Olympics.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
At the end of the 1st half, a great team play Thompson, to George, to Irving, to Thompson, to Durant, to Anthony, and back to Durant for 3. Doug Collins described it as the play of the Olympics.

That was some very crisp ball movement. Get ready to see that all season long for Golden State...Durant to Thompson to Curry to Durant to Thompson to Durant to Curry to Thompson to Durant...Draymond Green steals the ball and drives for an uncontested layup.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Well, Team USA won gold in a 30 point rout, so I basically care not about historical matchups. What I do care about? USA, USA, USA!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
636073973470113312-USATSI-9495976.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's a shame that these teams don't play with the joy that the 1992 team had. That was some incredible basketball.
With the exception of the designated college player, Christian Laettner, I believe that all of the members of the original Dream Team are in the Hall of Fame: Jordan, Pippen, Magic, Robinson, Stockton, Malone, Mullin, Ewing, Bird, Barkley, and Drexler. In addition to it being the best team ever assembled, the personalities of Magic, Jordan, Bird, and Barkley made this group truly special.

I think the 2016 women's team may have had 12 future Hall of Famers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and be reminded that 1992 was the 1st team to have pros due to the USA being tested on the Mens side with college players... could USA college women beat these teams today?

Reaction Score

I mean dribbling, shooting, passing, ability to run an offense, driving to the basket (which Kyrie clearly does better), footwork, post up ability, court vision , playmaking etc..I mean, when they do those skill drills, Sue Bird's time was better than Steve Nash and Jason Kidd's on the same "course." (Of course, this is just offense, if I was to talk about defense, Paul George is clearly king.)

I'm not stupid, anyone who says that a 5'11, 150lb Diana Taurasi could compete with 6'7, 205lb Klay Thompson, is absolutely nuts. That's just not understanding how much of an impact athleticism and size have on the game. What I'm saying is, give Taurasi the same skills with Klay Thompson's frame, and we're talking about someone in consideration for best player in the league. I mean, you can't look at Diana's shot and not think "man or woman, she's got one of the prettiest forms. Period."

I think someone compared it to boxing and different weight classes. Someone at the lowest weight class can't beat someone at the top. That doesn't mean that person at the bottom isn't a better tactician, doesn't know more moves etc..In skills alone, the lower weight can be better, but they'd still never actually beat the person in a higher weight class.

And all I'm saying, is these skills aren't gendered, women are just as capable of being as good at men at. That being said, I think it's rare that they are. In Taurasi and Bird, you have best point guard ever and best player ever on the woman's side. Generally speaking, on the Olympic Team, you've got peak skills. But women's basketball is even diluted in the pros, and there is a significant difference between someone like Diana, and the fifth best starter on the team..who probably doesn't have NBA quality skills. And that's just a matter of population. If you consider how many women play basketball. How many women practice basketball like men do etc...usually the dedication isn't there in the way that it is for men.

I would say, for basketball IQ..Sue and Diana have that over Kyrie, Klay, and Paul..although generally speaking, that isn't gendered either despite what some like to say. (AJ Price was one of the smartest Uconn players, men or women, in terms of basketball IQ. I can't tell you how many times I've watched him and really been impressed with his decision making. And it's rare to watch any player and go "that's a really smart player" instead of focusing on something else.)

I'm actually not one to criticize the men. (And I don't think I have in this thread.) I enjoy all styles of basketball. I don't think men's basketball is of higher quality, and I don't think women's basketball is of higher quality (when both are played right), I just think they are different and appreciate them for what they are. Paul George is one of my favorite players. A sports reporter said it best when they stated "At some point, I legitimately feel bad for the player Paul George is guarding."

These guys had very little practice time. They don't play the style of play that International players do, and of course when they are thrown together in a month, international teams are going to force them to play their style. They weren't put together too well. They were, for the most part, a very young team..with a tremendous amount of pressure. Either win..and that's what is expected of you..or don't, and be brutally criticized. (And I HATE that the only time the women's team gets any sort of attention is when people are criticizing the men.) And still, despite all of this, this team broke a win margin record in the gold medal game.

I couldn't be happier for them. They conducted themselves with class and worked hard, both in games and out in Rio. (No Ryan Lochte situations..) Most of them put egos aside. You could see the team actually getting better as the games went on. Basically, this team took a lot of undeserved crap..and it mostly came from people not understanding the circumstances, not anything these guys were doing.

Reaction Score
I couldn't be happier for them. They conducted themselves with class and worked hard, both in games and out in Rio. (No Ryan Lochte situations..) Most of them put egos aside. You could see the team actually getting better as the games went on. Basically, this team took a lot of undeserved crap..and it mostly came from people not understanding the circumstances, not anything these guys were doing.
Well, other than that DeAndre Jordan/DeMarcus Cousins "accidentally visiting a brothel" incident....

Reaction Score
If you know anything about Rio, that's actually really easy to do. They disguise brothels (Prostitution is legal, but brothels are not), as bars all the time in order to get away with it. The guys finished their drink and left the place. It's also completely believable because they are at the Olympics. They don't need to go to a brothel.

Reaction Score
and be reminded that 1992 was the 1st team to have pros due to the USA being tested on the Mens side with college players... could USA college women beat these teams today?

They'd get killed most years.

Consider this, for a while, Penny Taylor and Lauren Jackson were on the same Olympic Team. They are, at the very least, top 10 players in their prime. A 20 year old kid isn't beat that team. (And that's not to mention going against Tully..who 99 percent of college guards would struggle to bring the ball up the court against.)

It's not that surprising that Nurse struggled with the medal games started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom