URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We made his top Five: others involved Georgia ole miss, seton hall and Oregon.
Solid list.
Strange that 2 random schools; Georgia and Ole miss are also involved with other transfers we are after.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Martin is 2 years vs 1 for vaughn, so I’d say martin.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Martin with or without a year to sit is a starting caliber wing for 2 years. I'd take him over Vaughn.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure. I’m looking to be convinced one way or the other. Vaughn I feel is the more sure bet. While Martin has a lot of upside, but has been rumored to have had some attitude issues. Interesting discussion

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’m not sure. I’m looking to be convinced one way or the other. Vaughn I feel is the more sure bet. While Martin has a lot of upside, but has been rumored to have had some attitude issues. Interesting discussion

Let me guess, rumored by disgruntled URI fans? Keep in mind they sure had lots to say about Hurley's attitude right after he left.

Reaction Score
Let me guess, rumored by disgruntled URI fans? Keep in mind they sure had lots to say about Hurley's attitude right after he left.
It's not just URI fans, a few posters here. Though none I'd exactly put a ton of faith in

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's not just URI fans, a few posters here. Though none I'd exactly put a ton of faith in

Right, but it's possible they were just going off of sour grapes they saw on Twitter.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
The problems I have with Martin is less about his attitude, we can use some attitude, it’s more about his play. Career 1 to 2 Assists to TO(yikes), 65% FT shooter, 31% 3 pt shooter. I do like his rebounding and size though, and think he has some upside. If he’s a sit one no way you take him, he uses 3 seasons of scholarships. This is like bringing in Alterique Gilbert to sit one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Idk if Hurley is the kind of guy to poach someone from RI. He has alot of respect for Cox and their fan base. Doesn't seem like he'd be the kind of guy to do that.
Ummmm, Brendan Adams?

Reaction Score
I trust Hurley over anyone, but the friend I have who is a URI alum/fan reiterated we don’t not want him at all.

That being said, I’ll take Vaughn over him.

I bet your friend loved him after the Alabama game or the second VCU game or a number of other times over the last two years, though. I probably watched as many Rhody as UConn games the last two seasons. I feel he wasn’t particularly well coached while at Rhode Island, which was due in part to their limited number of available players, and there were clear issues with chemistry, especially in 18-19. Not every coach and player are a good match. He’d have an adjustment coming in to the program, but I think he’d respond. He’s not my first choice, but he would contribute. There’s so much uncertainty with recruiting with the ‘21 class with how much is going to be canceled, I don’t see a problem with him taking up 2 to 3 years of a roster spot if that’s how it turns out,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I bet your friend loved him after the Alabama game or the second VCU game or a number of other times over the last two years, though. I probably watched as many Rhody as UConn games the last two seasons. I feel he wasn’t particularly well coached while at Rhode Island, which was due in part to their limited number of available players, and there were clear issues with chemistry, especially in 18-19. Not every coach and player are a good match. He’d have an adjustment coming in to the program, but I think he’d respond. He’s not my first choice, but he would contribute. There’s so much uncertainty with recruiting with the ‘21 class with how much is going to be canceled, I don’t see a problem with him taking up 2 to 3 years of a roster spot if that’s how it turns out,

No clue, just relaying the message. I was told low basketball IQ player who makes a lot of questionable decisions.

Reaction Score
Martin vs. Vaughn is a toss up for me. Vaughn has the edge with his numbers, but you get an added level of comfort that Martin can produce with a good SOS, whereas Vaughn has barely any HM experience. People have been critical of Martin’s efficiency, but he was still very solid for a sophomore. That being said, he has a long way to go with passing and ball handling. Vaughn is clearly better in those areas. I don’t think either is a star, but I’d be happy to have either.

Reaction Score
The problems I have with Martin is less about his attitude, we can use some attitude, it’s more about his play. Career 1 to 2 Assists to TO(yikes), 65% FT shooter, 31% 3 pt shooter. I do like his rebounding and size though, and think he has some upside. If he’s a sit one no way you take him, he uses 3 seasons of scholarships. This is like bringing in Alterique Gilbert to sit one.
Vaughn is also bad with assists turnovers and ft's.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Martin vs. Vaughn is a toss up for me. Vaughn has the edge with his numbers, but you get an added level of comfort that Martin can produce with a good SOS, whereas Vaughn has barely any HM experience. People have been critical of Martin’s efficiency, but he was still very solid for a sophomore. That being said, he has a long way to go with passing and ball handling. Vaughn is clearly better in those areas. I don’t think either is a star, but I’d be happy to have either.

the correct answer is Nolley.

between these 2 I want the guy who takes up less scholarship time.

Reaction Score
the correct answer is Nolley.

between these 2 I want the guy who takes up less scholarship time.

Under normal circumstances, I might agree with the less scholarship time. However, the recruitment for ‘21s looks like it’s going to be a mess across the sport. The dead period’s been extended at least through May, and I’m not sure we can count on there being any live time in the summer. They already have three spots without counting anyone leaving to go pro or to transfer. Since they had the ‘20 class set, they did have time to devote to ‘21s during the season, but it’s going to be different with the schedule changes.

Reaction Score
Vaughn reminds me of a shorter version of Shaun Miller. I think he would be an extra pop off the bench with crowd popping skills that Bouk and Jackson can learn from. We need players that can come off the bench. Not redshirts or sit one transfers. Too many injuries over the years. I take Vaughn over Martin but I leave that decision up to the boss

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Vaughn is also bad with assists turnovers and ft's.
Fine, but Vaughn takes up one year of scholarship. Martin takes up 3 and sits 1. Huge factor. I trust Hurley though, if he feels he can motivate him and develop him you take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom