Updated: UConn Lineup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Updated: UConn Lineup

Reaction Score
Dude, we have 2 AA's (as Seniors) and a very good point guard. With that, you only need a couple role players to be a contender. Out of Walker, Williams, ONO, Batauly, Coombs, we should be able to get a couple role players. They may not win it all, but they will certainly be contenders.

Look at this year. Mississippi St had McCowan and Vivians and some role players. Louisville had Durr and Hines-Allen and some role players. ND had Ogunwale, Shepard, Young and some role players.

We'll be in the mix next year.
To add on to your point, Shepard & Young are not on Collier’s level & id argue Arike isn’t on Lou’s level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I love Gabby’s defense & athleticism but her offense was average. Let’s be honest if it wasn’t for the wow plays or the fact that she played on UConn, she wouldn’t have gotten any AA accolades on any other program. Averaged 10, 7 & 5 and everyone acts like she was robbed of 1st Team AA.

Kia was a very good role player but her defense was more about having great help behind her. We will certainly miss her spot up shooting capability but she wasn’t the same player in the post season. Those two just simply weren’t capable of leading when it mattered most.

Really? Gabby Williams was the only player in the nation the last two years that could defend at a supreme level both on the perimeter and in the post. She was one of the best passers in the nation, a terrific rebounder for her size, and influenced all parts of the game over every square inch of the floor. If you're not sure of her uniqueness, realize that she and Maya Moore are the only UConn players to amass 1,000 points and rebounds, 400 assists, 300 steals, and 100 blocks.

Nurse holds the record for most threes made in an NCAA tourney. That's nothing to sneeze at. She also made some big plays as a freshmen in the final against Notre Dame.

Beyond all of this comparing, there is no size whatsoever next year. If Collier gets into any kind of foul trouble or needs a breather who is going to guard the basket? Kyla Irwin? Batouly Camara? ONO? Because that is the brunt of the frontline to go with Collier, an undersized forward.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Look at this year. Mississippi St had McCowan and Vivians and some role players. Louisville had Durr and Hines-Allen and some role players. ND had Ogunwale, Shepard, Young and some role players.

UConn has no McCowan--an incredible offensive rebounder-- and loses by far its best two defenders. Mississippi State was a great defensive unit this year.

As to Louisville, think you're underselling players like Fuehring and Jones, plus Evans is an excellent defender too.

Notre Dame was rated by Massey as the #1 offense in the country and was also a great rebounding team. Now, they had holes defensively and it almost cost them against Oregon and A&M, but they somehow played well enough there to beat the Huskies.

I would've put UConn alongside Baylor behind only Notre Dame before Stevens left. That is a gaping hole that I don't see being filled.

Reaction Score
We have two first team all Americans! Three former high school player of the years! An excellent point guard who was suffering from shin splints and who was arguably having a great season before they became a problem. Lastly, three good potential post players who will learn and develop. I will be disappointed if we are not at least a final four team. This is not about being positive...this is reality.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We have two first team all Americans! Three former high school player of the years! An excellent point guard who was suffering from shin splints and who was arguably having a great season before they became a problem. Lastly, three good potential post players who will learn and develop. I will be disappointed if we are not at least a final four team. This is not about being positive...this is reality.

Basically three players and pray for rain. UConn was a six-player team this past year, but those other three were high 1st round WNBA talents.

Reaction Score
Unlike many years, this year's freshmen can fill immediate team needs. For example, Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson started early on in the season because of need. They made their freshman mistakes and learned by playing. Ono brings size and skill. Williams athleticism, speed and generally good guard play. I expect Walker to make an important impact on the court. Hopefully, Coombs will be able contribute too. So, I hesitantly predict, that the January starting team will be e beDangerfield, Williams, Collier, KLS and Ono with lots of opportunity for minutes from the bench.
Nicely stated and I think that's a very possible starting lineup.
It creates much more balance and doesn't put players in positions they are less comfortable in. I don't think the small lineup with KLS at the 4 or strong forward will work well against bigger teams, although probably her rebounding will continue to improve,
MW first off the bench will change things around. Then maybe Batouly or Kayla.
Bronx23

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn has no McCowan--an incredible offensive rebounder-- and loses by far its best two defenders. Mississippi State was a great defensive unit this year.
Next year. But then Mississippi St has no KLS or Collier. Or Dangerfield.

As to Louisville, think you're underselling players like Fuehring and Jones, plus Evans is an excellent defender too.
And you are over selling their role players. All the good teams have 2-3 really good players and then some role players. UCONN included.

Notre Dame was rated by Massey as the #1 offense in the country and was also a great rebounding team. Now, they had holes defensively and it almost cost them against Oregon and A&M, but they somehow played well enough there to beat the Huskies.
And somehow UCONN played well enough to beat them in regulation. Yea, ND had a really good team. And they will should have a really good team next year. But that doesn't exclude UCONN from being in the mix.

I would've put UConn alongside Baylor behind only Notre Dame before Stevens left. That is a gaping hole that I don't see being filled.
Baylor didn't even make the FF last year. They should be really good too, but we'll see. They haven't lived up to their potential lately.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Okay, but you were comparing the upcoming UConn team with last year's Bulldogs. That MSU team played great defense and had a rebounding machine to go along with Vivians and some nice role players. Do you see a rebounding machine or a great defensive unit for the 2018-2019 UConn squad?

And somehow UCONN played well enough to beat them in regulation. Yea, ND had a really good team. And they will should have a really good team next year. But that doesn't exclude UCONN from being in the mix.

That Notre Dame team only gets better on paper with the return of an all-american talent in Turner while UConn loses one of the best players in the nation and the defensive POY.

Baylor didn't even make the FF last year. They should be really good too, but we'll see. They haven't lived up to their potential lately.

Yes, and I'm hesitant to bet too much on them, but at some point talent can win over. And if they were to play UConn in the tourney they'll have Cox and Brown inside and on the boards against Collier and take your pick. At least Oregon State had the 6-5 Gulich.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Baylors problem in my opinion, was that their backcourt was too quick for their front court who couldn't keep up.

Reaction Score
Really? Gabby Williams was the only player in the nation the last two years that could defend at a supreme level both on the perimeter and in the post. She was one of the best passers in the nation, a terrific rebounder for her size, and influenced all parts of the game over every square inch of the floor. If you're not sure of her uniqueness, realize that she and Maya Moore are the only UConn players to amass 1,000 points and rebounds, 400 assists, 300 steals, and 100 blocks.

Nurse holds the record for most threes made in an NCAA tourney. That's nothing to sneeze at. She also made some big plays as a freshmen in the final against Notre Dame.

Beyond all of this comparing, there is no size whatsoever next year. If Collier gets into any kind of foul trouble or needs a breather who is going to guard the basket? Kyla Irwin? Batouly Camara? ONO? Because that is the brunt of the frontline to go with Collier, an undersized forward.
Gabby was a great defender, as I said. Offense was average. She averaged 5 assists but also was very turnover prone, as shown against ND. I didn’t say Kia didn’t contronbute, she obviously did. She also made it to the FF every year & was srictly a spot up shooter on offense, I would expect her to be towards the top of that list.

Gabby was versatile on offense but I would argue Pheesa is even more versatile on offense. She is better in the post & obviously a better shooter. As for her numbers she will be the only player to finish with 2,000 pts, 1000 rebounds, 350-400 assists, 250 steals & 250 blocks. Will also finish her career in the top 10 in FG % & top 5 FT %. Given her defensive stats, she’s no slouch on that end either. She has a 6’7” wing span & if she can get stronger this summer (which I’m hoping is an emphasis) then she will be a force even more so!

We haven’t mentioned Lou, who with Ionescu could be fighting for most complete player in the country! She will go down as one of the greatest shooters in NCAA history & is 6’3” while being a great decision maker.

We have 2 players on a short list that could win POY next year. There’s only 5 spots on the floor. I’m confident in our young talent & our coaching staffs ability to develop.

Reaction Score

And you are over selling their role players. All the good teams have 2-3 really good players and then some role players. UCONN included.

ND will obviously be the most talented team but will they play well together. They will be trying to implement a big post that will demand her touches because she was an AA two seasons ago. Mabrey nor Shepard have played with her.

I’m thinking that all those seniors will be fighting for individual honors & that could hurt them. We’ve seen that even with UConn, AA spots are limited.

How will Shepard do without the majority of touches? Will Arike be on the FF high of expectations and try and win POY while at the expense of her teammates? How will the deal with the pressure of being the clear favorite? As we’ve seen, you have to get a little lucky to win. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them lose before the FF. It’s all about matchups.

Reaction Score
Even if you think KLS and Collier cancel each other out--and that's if Collier plays at her sophomore level this year--and Dangerfield is an upgrade from Chong, there is nobody to come close to matching what Gabby Williams did that season. There is no Kia Nurse replacement from a shooting, defending, and intensity level either.
You can replace Gabby with MW, possibly even an upgrade because MW can shoot the three with confidence. CW can create her own shot, unlike Kia.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gabby was a great defender, as I said. Offense was average. She averaged 5 assists but also was very turnover prone, as shown against ND.

I think you are seriously undervaluing what Williams brought the last two years. Show me another forward who could average 5 assists a game, many of them of the spectacular variety. Over the last two seasons Williams had 190 assists to 86 turnovers and 191 assists to 87 turnovers. That would be excellent for a point guard much less a forward. UConn more or less ran their offense through her much of the time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can replace Gabby with MW, possibly even an upgrade because MW can shoot the three with confidence. CW can create her own shot, unlike Kia.

With all due respect, I can't replace Gabby Williams with Megan Walker. There is no comparison at the moment. Walker will never be anything close to the defender Williams was. If she can even be in the same stratosphere in other areas we'll all take it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all due respect, I can't replace Gabby Williams with Megan Walker. There is no comparison at the moment. Walker will never be anything close to the defender Williams was. If she can even be in the same stratosphere in other areas we'll all take it.
It’s terribly unfair to compare MW as a freshman vs Gabby as a senior or junior for that matter. Gabby hardly played as a freshman. She couldn’t shoot the ball and was not close to the great defender she eventually became. Quite frankly, MW had a better freshman year than Gabby, imo.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, MW had a better freshman year than Gabby, imo.

Not even close. Huskygames.com has every game for you to enjoy.

In exactly the same amount of minutes per game:

Walker = 5.8 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 29 assists, 28 turnovers, 11 steals, 47% 2-pt FG

Williams: 8.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 50 assists, 40 turnovers, 46 steals, 64% 2-pt FG

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not even close. Huskygames.com has every game for you to enjoy.

In exactly the same amount of minutes per game:

Walker = 5.8 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 29 assists, 28 turnovers, 11 steals, 47% 2-pt FG

Williams: 8.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 50 assists, 40 turnovers, 46 steals, 64% 2-pt FG
OK, I’ll give you that Gabby did some good things as a freshman, although you left out that she didn’t make a single 3 and shot only 46% from the FT line. I don’t think that MW is that far away from being a significant player for UConn next year, when she’ll have every opportunity to step into a starting role and contribute.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
OK, I’ll give you that Gabby did some good things as a freshman, although you left out that she didn’t make a single 3 and shot only 46% from the FT line. I don’t think that MW is that far away from being a significant player for UConn next year, when she’ll have every opportunity to step into a starting role and contribute.

Dude, Gabby has only made one three in her career. And yes, her free throw shooting as a frosh was hard to watch.

Reaction Score

so Sluconn since this is the updated UConn lineup thread, where are all of those missing points, rebounds and assists going to come from next season or is UConn truly doomed?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
so Sluconn since this is the updated UConn lineup thread, where are all of those missing points, rebounds and assists going to come from next season or is UConn truly doomed?
Another question is, With Kia gone, who locks down Laska, Durr, et al? I suspect UConn still will be able to score with efficiency but I worry that the defense, which was almost always there when the shooting went cold, won't be nearly as stifling.:(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Okay, but you were comparing the upcoming UConn team with last year's Bulldogs. That MSU team played great defense and had a rebounding machine to go along with Vivians and some nice role players. Do you see a rebounding machine or a great defensive unit for the 2018-2019 UConn squad?
I was showing that a team with one or two very good players and some nice role players can get to the FF.

That Notre Dame team only gets better on paper with the return of an all-american talent in Turner while UConn loses one of the best players in the nation and the defensive POY.
Yea ND should be very very good. But UCONN will be in the mix.

Yes, and I'm hesitant to bet too much on them, but at some point talent can win over. And if they were to play UConn in the tourney they'll have Cox and Brown inside and on the boards against Collier and take your pick. At least Oregon State had the 6-5 Gulich.
Baylor won't have Collier and KLS though. Nor a PG as good as Dangerfield.

We've won without winning the rebounds before. Tougher, but can be done. And again, doesn't remove us from the mix.

Reaction Score
Moriah was a shutdown defender. We couldn’t shut down Miss. St, or ND. GW not being a consistent shooting threat hurt us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dude, Gabby has only made one three in her career. And yes, her free throw shooting as a frosh was hard to watch.
Exactly my point. MW is a better shooter/scorer than Gabby. I’m confident that she’ll figure out the rest playing for Geno.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Moriah was a shutdown defender. We couldn’t shut down Miss. St, or ND. GW not being a consistent shooting threat hurt us.

Gabby was UConn's best player against MSU by a country mile between her play-making and defending the tower that is McCowan. And she made tons of plays against ND. I don't get how anyone can think she was in any way responsible for either loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom