Updated: UConn Lineup | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Updated: UConn Lineup

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I can not believe the way some posters view the UConn team to analyze and project positions for the team. UConn does not play a typical 1,2,3,4,5 offense. They typically, will play a spread 4 and then drop into a high-low after running a series of cut plays. The coaches endeavor to get the individual players in the position to most take advantage of their individual skills. Hence the past year when the 6'3" player shot 3's and the 5'11" player made post entry passes and rebounded. The 1,2,3,4,5 analogy comes more into play on defense where it is who do you match up with. Our 1 is the player who matches with their 1 and our 5 is the player who matches with their 5.

Offensively, instead of saying this player is a 2 and can't play the 3 or whatever, analyze the player's strengths/weaknesses and put them in the best place to succeed. I understand the coaching staff is trying to consider who they want to get the ball underneath or who they want taking a corner 3 while someone else gets the wing 3 or top 3. If you look at last year, Kia got the corner 3's and some wings. KLS got the wing 3 and crystal the top 3. Everyone made cuts to finish at the rim except Crystal.

Considering MW, she can finish at the rim and hit the corner 3. Next year when she has a smaller player on her I expect to see her set up outside and then look to feed her slashing to the hoop where her strength and leaping ability are very effective. To do that other players will have to clear out and take the off side help D with her. If she has a bigger player, I expect that player would realize the speed differential and have to play off giving the 3 point shot. Defensively I expect her to match up on the opponent 3 or 4 and use her strength to keep them out of position.

MW, IMO, will be highly effective next year and a delight to watch.

The biggest hole I see in next years offense comes in the high-low. Who will team with Pheesa to make it work. Right now I only see Touly and KLS (though KLS will be outside) being calm enough and smart enough to play that role. ONO is not experienced enough, Kyla not athletic enough.

Reaction Score
Williams, DT, Strother, Moore, KLM, Stewart, KLS, were all NHSPOYs who turned out pretty good for UCONN. Not sure why all of a sudden you don't think Walker can or will???? History shows it always happens. Like Geno's NC game record, sure someday it may be broken, but I'm sure not expecting it to. If UCONN gets to a NC game, I expect them to win...because they always do. When UCONN gets a #1 HS player, I expect them to be on the wall or pretty close (Strother), because that's what always happens. It's not really a leap of faith, it's historical. If you actually "opened" your eyes, you'd see that. We're not the ones with our eyes closed, that would be you.
You need to look up the word always in the dictionary!
I guess I imagined that they didn't win the last two NC's.
History tends to show the likely outcome. Surely history doesn't guarantee a thing, which always surely does.
I react as I do because of some's blindness and homerism.
I take nothing away from the amazing earned accomplishments of the many great players and coaches here. I do and will not anoint anyone anything. Most of us didn't appreciate A'Ja Wilson being anointed NPOY before the season began and being hyped all season long on ESPN, yet when it suits our own, then it's ok. Wilson clearly earned serious consideration for that award, and so far on the college level MW has earned very little.
And I'm the one who needs to open my eyes? Seriously, let's get real!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
He already said the 2 freshman,dont have much faith in what he tries to make in opinion,babble
Nan,
While you have a right to your opinion I think you have an added responsibility as a moderator here. You ask for respect, yet you called what I wrote babble! I surely don't appreciate the comment and think you need to be more careful about your criticisms.
The moderators here or leaders anywhere, and the participants are not on equal footing to each other.
You surely disappointed me, and I lost a bit of respect, as that was off base.
You don't agree with me that's fine tell me why or ignore me, but it hardly was babble. And yes, this surely is a tough bunch here, as one would expect of those watching and rooting for the best sports team maybe in the history of sports.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I do apologize for the word babble,it was the wrong word to use,but my opinion stays the same,thanks

Reaction Score
I mean you say MW didnt earn this or that ,and that just because she was POY in Hs doesnt mean anything thing yet you say start 2 freshman,nothing about that she had 6 really good players in front of her and they never ran sets for her or even looked at her for an option,she wasn't set up to succceed in that sceam they ran,is that her fault or Geno,hard to tell

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Even if you think the UConn squad has more talent than Notre Dame, the Irish didn't depend on underclassmen to get the job done outside of Young. UConn will have to depend so much more on inexperienced players. That makes an enormous difference.

And South Carolina somehow missed playing any of the best teams (UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame, Maryland) and then got an emotionally and likely physically tired MSU team 1-1/2 days after the UConn upset.

If you're going to tell me someone will knock Baylor, Notre Dame, and perhaps Oregon out of the tourney before UConn faces any of them next year then, yeah, UConn's chances improve dramatically.
The South Carolina starting PG in a National Championship season was a freshmen. Likewise ND has made it undefeated to the championship game with a Freshmen PG. Experienced players makes a huge difference but so do the matchups at key positions.
Not saying it going to be easy just that it can be done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You need to look up the word always in the dictionary!
I guess I imagined that they didn't win the last two NC's.
Did they play in the NC game?

Please try to keep up.

Reaction Score
Nan,
While you have a right to your opinion I think you have an added responsibility as a moderator here. You ask for respect, yet you called what I wrote babble! I surely don't appreciate the comment and think you need to be more careful about your criticisms.
The moderators here or leaders anywhere, and the participants are not on equal footing to each other.
You surely disappointed me, and I lost a bit of respect, as that was off base.
You don't agree with me that's fine tell me why or ignore me, but it hardly was babble. And yes, this surely is a tough bunch here, as one would expect of those watching and rooting for the best sports team maybe in the history of sports.
Bronx23

Hey...I was just scrolling through this thread. I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but did you get Nan and Iowafan mixed up in your response?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey...I was just scrolling through this thread. I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but did you get Nan and Iowafan mixed up in your response?
Well, Iowafan and I both have the letter "n" in our handles. :rolleyes:

BTW, a belated welcome YSR.

Reaction Score
Sorry yes I did! My apologies to Nan!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom