Updated: UConn Lineup | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Updated: UConn Lineup

Reaction Score
Milford your a terrific poster but I must disagree comparing MW to a soph NC.
Can you start by telling me what MW strengths are on the court? Shooting? Ball handling? Defense? Rebounding? I’m still trying to figure out her sweet spot.
I know in high school she was more athletic than most.
Wow!
Someone with a bit of realism! Comparisons of MW to either NC or GW at this point in time, is pure wishful thinking bordering on fantasy, if not delusion. Yes, CD made a huge leap but was always clearly a point guard. She came back after very hard work on her body, game and attitude but there was an open clearly defined position that fit her skill set.
It seems to me MW is a small or shooting forward. She is not an off guard. To move Lou there would be a mistake as she needs to be closer to the basket and rebound more.
MW is a good rebounder for her height, a good shooter and defender. If she can concretize those things she will be a good college player as a sophomore, surely not an AA. With continued hard work maybe she will become a 2nd or 3rd team AA in her senior year.
My starting lineup is CD, CW, KLS, Pheesa, and Ono. Yes, I'm nuts not just one but two freshman. That would give us, MW (first sub) Batouly, Kayla, Coombs off the bench.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I don't understand why everyone keeps assuming that if Megan Walker starts, she will be the SG. IMHO her skills and body translate much better to the SF position and that is where she should play. I would much rather see Lou as the SG out there, which to my mind makes it even harder for the opposing team when she (Lou) posts up whoever is guarding her.
While Lou could play the shooting guard position she's more naturally suited for the small forward/point forward position. So you're taking probably your best offensive player (or co-best with Pheesa) and changing her role so MW can start. Obviously we have no idea what CW will do once she begins practice and play for U Conn at the college level. We do know for sure because we saw a full year of what MW was able to do. She was given every possible opportunity to solidify the 7th spot and was unable to do so. That's either below average or way below average for what most of you base her abilities and soph jump on - that she was HS player of the year. Compare her to KLS who started most of freshman year and did contribute. Again two spots lower than 5th starter and she did what? Her good outside shooting was mostly if not almost all, from the corner. She doesn't have off guard skills.
She actually might really benefit and add to the team from being first sub in if she makes the good to great soph jump.
The argument I hear over and over again is almost only based upon two things neither of which is a given. She was National HS player of the year, so she must have phenomenal skills. And under Geno, CD and the other coaches and a full year under her belt, she will become an AA. How come that Geno was repeatedly disappointed in her effort, attitude and play through much of the year just thrown out the window?
She's a small forward where at the top college level there are many who play that position who are also very athletic, strong rebounders, slashers, good shooters. She's no
longer playing against good HS competition where she was way ahead of most of her competition. While we will never fully know what went on to delay her advancement as a freshman, it's pretty clear that a good amount of it was attitude and mental adjustment. I want to see regular, consistent, earned improvement before I think she deserves being annointed anything more than a very big, wide open opportunity.
Dreams, wishes, being a fan, doesn't do it!!
I love / adore KLS and her growth and guts and attitude. Obviously now we all wish her a quick and full recovery from her surgery. But she needs to take her game to another level and that's after two AA years and probably being the best or surely top three players last year in the whole country. And after all she's given and proved, she needs to show she can take over tough close games. If it's not a given for KLS, who already is amongst the top 4-8 players in U Conn history how can it be for MW???
I'm waiting, watching and hoping. Time and lots of hard work and further development lie in the balance.
Bronx23

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wow!
Someone with a bit of realism! Comparisons of MW to either NC or GW at this point in time, is pure wishful thinking bordering on fantasy, if not delusion.

MW is a good rebounder for her height, a good shooter and defender. If she can concretize those things she will be a good college player as a sophomore, surely not an AA. With continued hard work maybe she will become a 2nd or 3rd team AA in her senior year.

How little some here believe in Megan Walker--and by extension the coaching staff's ability to develop the talent she clearly possesses--continues to astound me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Lou could play the shooting guard position she's more naturally suited for the small forward/point forward position. So you're taking probably your best offensive player (or co-best with Pheesa) and changing her role so MW can start. Obviously we have no idea what CW will do once she begins practice and play for U Conn at the college level. We do know for sure because we saw a full year of what MW was able to do. She was given every possible opportunity to solidify the 7th spot and was unable to do so. That's either below average or way below average for what most of you base her abilities and soph jump on - that she was HS player of the year. Compare her to KLS who started most of freshman year and did contribute. Again two spots lower than 5th starter and she did what? Her good outside shooting was mostly if not almost all, from the corner. She doesn't have off guard skills.
She actually might really benefit and add to the team from being first sub in if she makes the good to great soph jump.
The argument I hear over and over again is almost only based upon two things neither of which is a given. She was National HS player of the year, so she must have phenomenal skills. And under Geno, CD and the other coaches and a full year under her belt, she will become an AA. How come that Geno was repeatedly disappointed in her effort, attitude and play through much of the year just thrown out the window?
She's a small forward where at the top college level there are many who play that position who are also very athletic, strong rebounders, slashers, good shooters. She's no
longer playing against good HS competition where she was way ahead of most of her competition. While we will never fully know what went on to delay her advancement as a freshman, it's pretty clear that a good amount of it was attitude and mental adjustment. I want to see regular, consistent, earned improvement before I think she deserves being annointed anything more than a very big, wide open opportunity.
I love / adore KLS and her growth and guts and attitude. Obviously now we all wish her a quick and full recovery from her surgery. But she needs to take her game to another level and that's after two AA years and probably being the best or surely top three players last year in the whole country. And after all she's given and proved, she needs to show she can take over tough close games. If it's not a given for KLS, who already is amongst the top 4-8 players in U Conn history how can it be for MW???
I'm waiting, watching and hoping. Time and lots of hard work and further development lie in the balance.
Bronx23
Bronx, you have a lot to unpack here, but let me just address 1 point that I disagree with. There is no reason why Lou needs to move to the 2 for MW to start. I’ve started an entire thread suggesting that MW is best suited to replacing Gabby at the 5. That would mean Lou stays at the 3, Pheesa at the 4, Crystal at pg and some combination of Molly/Mikayla/CW at the 2.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How little some here believe in Megan Walker--and by extension the coaching staff's ability to develop the talent she clearly possesses--continues to astound me.
Most of us believe MW will be a star. Bronx is a “glass half empty” guy.

Reaction Score
Bronx23

Wow. This is exactly on point! Are u in my mind ha.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Most of us believe MW will be a star. Bronx is a “glass half empty” guy.

Got scoffed at in another thread for saying she may be nearly as good as Kia Nurse by next year. Maybe I'm just running into all the Walker doubters...

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Got scoffed at in another thread for saying she may be a nearly as good as Kia Nurse by next year. Maybe I'm just running into all the Walker doubters...
I feel for you. I’ve been slamming into that same wall Head bang
Last year that same crew were all Crystal doubters. Next year they’ll all be CW and/or ONO doubters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This off-season reminds me of 2014. UCONN had lost its leaders, Dolson and Hartley, to graduation. Stephanie was the big presence inside, with her rebounds and assists, and Bria ran the point and the offense. Brianna Banks was thought by many to become a great player and starter, after many injuries in the 2013-14 season, but she left UCONN before the fall of 2014. So the questions were:

Could Kiah Stokes become a post presence, learn to play offense, and become a senior team leader?

Could KML play healthy after missing 1/3 of her games in 2013-14 due to injury and illness? Could she leave the perimeter and become an inside presence and post up?

Could Moriah come out of Bria’s shadow and become the real full-time point guard? Could she become a good defender and could she learn to control her speed?

Could Stewie play in the post? She played with the US team in the late summer of 2014. While she played well in the exhibition games, she had difficulty dealing with the physical play and she played poorly during the actual tournament. Stewie was skinny and could not bang bodies around under the basket like Dolson.

Could Saniya make a big sophomore leap and learn to defend?

Could Morgan Tuck recover from her knee surgeries and play a positive role in the season?

Other than these six players, UCONN had four freshmen: Ekmark, Edwards. Nurse, and Williams. Williams had just been cleared from her own knee surgeries and wasn’t ready to play immediately. Could she ever contribute? Ekmark had issues with her foot and was out for the fall. Nurse and Edward were unknowns.

UCONN lost the second game of the year to Stanford with a starting lineup of Stewart, Mosqueda–Lewis, Jefferson, Stokes, and Chong. Nurse and Tuck fouled out.

Stokes never developed her offense and Chong did not make the leap, but the team did OK the rest of the year.

So I have great hopes for next year with Collier, Samuelson, and Dangerfield as returning starters. I agree with those who suggest that Batouly and Megan will join them as starters, but Nelson-Ododa and C Williams will play big roles quite early in the season, as Nurse and G Williams did in 2014.
Thanks for reminding us of past questions that even the great teams had. After Renee left, we were very concerned about PG, but Caroline and Tiffany to a lesser degree helped us repeat 39-0.

We don’t have to have every question answered in the most favorable way. We need just enough of them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Got scoffed at in another thread for saying she may be nearly as good as Kia Nurse by next year. Maybe I'm just running into all the Walker doubters...
Other than the Core 3, picking a starter requires a leap of faith. Period. People see things different ways. But looking at past sophomore leaps and talent levels, I think Megan is the most likely option, unless one of the frosh is all-world (and one or two of them may be).

Reaction Score
Really? Gabby Williams was the only player in the nation the last two years that could defend at a supreme level both on the perimeter and in the post. She was one of the best passers in the nation, a terrific rebounder for her size, and influenced all parts of the game over every square inch of the floor. If you're not sure of her uniqueness, realize that she and Maya Moore are the only UConn players to amass 1,000 points and rebounds, 400 assists, 300 steals, and 100 blocks.

Nurse holds the record for most threes made in an NCAA tourney. That's nothing to sneeze at. She also made some big plays as a freshmen in the final against Notre Dame.

Beyond all of this comparing, there is no size whatsoever next year. If Collier gets into any kind of foul trouble or needs a breather who is going to guard the basket? Kyla Irwin? Batouly Camara? ONO? Because that is the brunt of the frontline to go with Collier, an undersized forward.
I'd go with maybe #4 or #5. But I do agree with your last paragraph. This team is going to be overmatched inside against top 10 teams that have some size.

Reaction Score
Hmmm! Clearly!!!
This has close to nada to do with Geno and the coaching staff! And my faith in them to develop MW's talent.
They are one the greatest coaches and staffs ever assembled in not just basketball but team sports history. Just as that didn't guarantee the last two NC's, it doesn't in and of itself give MW a thing. She has to demonstrate being able to use it! For her whole freshman year, even with a totally wide open gift to the position and multiple chances, she didn't. I keep hearing about it almost always takes a year for even the top rated recruits to truly get it. I'm sure for most that's true, but the better ones actually usually play more of a role than MW.
I can name them but you all know who they are. I don't react to saying good things are expected of her and she seems to have talent. I react to the clear overreaction that she's the key to next season, a sure AA, etc.
The contradiction here I see is most of you love Geno's rules, expectations and success, which is based upon practice, practice, practice. Then doing it, doing it, doing it over and over again until you can't get it wrong. To be anointed anything here under Geno and CD requires earning it! All I'm saying is MW go out and do just that! Then I will give you props! I also will apologize to you and all here that you were right and I was wrong.
Sorry I don't and won't just raise glasses and banners because a top ranked recruit comes here and just close my eyes, suspend almost all sense of what one sees and boom out comes an AA.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
While Lou could play the shooting guard position (1) she's more naturally suited for the small forward/point forward position. So you're taking probably your best offensive player (or co-best with Pheesa) and changing her role so MW can start. Obviously we have no idea what CW will do once she begins practice and play for U Conn at the college level. We do know for sure because we saw a full year of what MW was able to do. She was given every possible opportunity to solidify the 7th spot and was unable to do so. (2) That's either below average or way below average for what most of you base her abilities and soph jump on - that she was HS player of the year. Compare her to KLS who started most of freshman year and did contribute. Again two spots lower than 5th starter and she did what? Her good outside shooting was mostly if not almost all, from the corner. (3) She doesn't have off guard skills.
The argument I hear over and over again is almost only based upon two things neither of which is a given. She was National HS player of the year, so she must have phenomenal skills. And under Geno, CD and the other coaches and a full year under her belt, she will become an AA. (4) How come that Geno was repeatedly disappointed in her effort, attitude and play through much of the year just thrown out the window?
longer playing against good HS competition where she was way ahead of most of her competition. While we will never fully know what went on to delay her advancement as a freshman, (5) it's pretty clear that a good amount of it was attitude and mental adjustment. I want to see regular, consistent, earned improvement before I think she deserves being annointed anything more than a very big, wide open opportunity.
Bronx23
I think the points 1 thru 3 highlighted above are off the mark. Point 4 is a subjective observation that is equally off the mark. Show me a freshman that didn't fit that observation and I will show you a whole heck of a lot more freshmen you had to go through to find just that one. The only things we see are games. Geno and staff probably see 5 or more practices for every game.

But as I said it all those points were subjective, mine as well as yours, and therefore just opinions.

Point 5 is really not a fair observation to be offering. MW came to UConn the best prepared of any freshmen. She bought in and worked hard, very hard. Some players never get their head wrapped around Geno's offensive and defensive schemes. It takes time and MW made much bigger strides than most in recent years. The observation has no basis in fact and in my opinion a borderline violation of board rules.

Reaction Score
Bronx, you have a lot to unpack here, but let me just address 1 point that I disagree with. There is no reason why Lou needs to move to the 2 for MW to start. I’ve started an entire thread suggesting that MW is best suited to replacing Gabby at the 5. That would mean Lou stays at the 3, Pheesa at the 4, Crystal at pg and some combination of Molly/Mikayla/CW at the 2.
Half empty kind of guy! Well that maybe accurate! You seemed to drink the whole glass of koolade!
MW being the 5 or taking over Gabulous' role offensively and defensively is more than a bit of an overreaction.
If and when she succeeds, it will be as a 3. She might be able to play some 2 & 4 as clearly defined positions is and have changed. Her game is not essentially an outside one primarily. She is a slasher/ driver but could she go that against a Kia Nurse type defender. Her rebounding shows promise, but Gabby like? That's almost never happened before for someone their size and won't too often.
Yes the glass is half empty in my mind, when it comes to MW. I'd love for it to fill up! It's only earned first in preparation time, attitudinal change, lots of practice time and then the conversion to game play. Not in Geno, your or my minds!
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Half empty kind of guy! Well that maybe accurate! You seemed to drink the whole glass of koolade!
MW being the 5 or taking over Gabulous' role offensively and defensively is more than a bit of an overreaction.
If and when she succeeds, it will be as a 3. She might be able to play some 2 & 4 as clearly defined positions is and have changed. Her game is not essentially an outside one primarily. She is a slasher/ driver but could she go that against a Kia Nurse type defender. Her rebounding shows promise, but Gabby like? That's almost never happened before for someone their size and won't too often.
Yes the glass is half empty in my mind, when it comes to MW. I'd love for it to fill up! It's only earned first in preparation time, attitudinal change, lots of practice time and then the conversion to game play. Not in Geno, your or my minds!
Bronx23
So tell me Bronx, other than Lou, Pheesa & Crystal, who exactly do you think will start next year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I feel for you. I’ve been slamming into that same wall Head bang
Last year that same crew were all Crystal doubters. Next year they’ll all be CW and/or ONO doubters.
Re: Crystal - the same people that were screaming for freshman Crystal to replace senior Saniya in the starting lineup after the Baylor game totally turned on her after her game suffered from her injury. It's a brutal bunch here.

Reaction Score
Re: Crystal - the same people that were screaming for freshman Crystal to replace senior Saniya in the starting lineup after the Baylor game totally turned on her after her game suffered from her injury. It's a brutal bunch here.
He already said the 2 freshman,dont have much faith in what he tries to make in opinion,babble

Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

Backups are in ( ). As you can see Lou & Pheesa won’t be coming out much, nor will CD as long as she’s healthy.

Call me crazy but I think this team can win it all still. We will certainly miss Gabby, Z & Kia but how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? When people leave it presents an opportunity for someone else talented to step up.

I fully expect Pheesa & Lou to be close to 20-23 ppg next season. More defined roles now, less expectations. This team is going to be dangerous. I’ll be the person returning in December saying “I told you so...”

Reaction Score
DZFSKsNU0AAuyJG.jpg

Anriel getting rebounding position against Jessica Sheppard. Yeah we would be a better team with her for sure. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Dawn Staley's office if she were to choose UCONN over SC

Now I know why Arike shows up for second half only. During first half, she lets the team do all the running around while she just stands there with arms on hips. :D

Reaction Score
Megan Walker is going to be a monster this year. I know that many were disappointed in her last year, but she came from a system where she was the #1 option, and could take the ball to the rack whenever she wanted. Last year, she was never more than the 3rd option to shoot, and 4th option to control the ball. Things are going to change, even if they bring in PGs. You can easily name a full 12 person roster of WNBA players from Storrs... who were limited contributors as Freshmen.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker is going to be a monster this year. I know that many were disappointed in her last year, but she came from a system where she was the #1 option, and could take the ball to the rack whenever she wanted. Last year, she was never more than the 3rd option to shoot, and 4th option to control the ball. Things are going to change, even if they bring in PGs. You can easily name a full 12 person roster of WNBA players from Storrs... who were limited contributors as Freshmen.

IMO, the many that were disappointed were not aimed towards Megan but in the direction of Geno.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmm! All I'm saying is MW go out and do just that! Then I will give you props! I also will apologize to you and all here that you were right and I was wrong.
Sorry I don't and won't just raise glasses and banners because a top ranked recruit comes here and just close my eyes, suspend almost all sense of what one sees and boom out comes an AA.
Bronx23
Williams, DT, Strother, Moore, KLM, Stewart, KLS, were all NHSPOYs who turned out pretty good for UCONN. Not sure why all of a sudden you don't think Walker can or will???? History shows it always happens. Like Geno's NC game record, sure someday it may be broken, but I'm sure not expecting it to. If UCONN gets to a NC game, I expect them to win...because they always do. When UCONN gets a #1 HS player, I expect them to be on the wall or pretty close (Strother), because that's what always happens. It's not really a leap of faith, it's historical. If you actually "opened" your eyes, you'd see that. We're not the ones with our eyes closed, that would be you.

Reaction Score
They had a whopping six all-american candidates this past year, and lose arguably the best all-around player in the sport. But even Gabby Williams wasn't a great player until her junior season. What is the likelihood of Megan Walker becoming an all-american as a sophomore?

I'd start the team about 8th in the rankings.
8th???? That's nuts. CW is ready to go at guard. She is THAT good. With Pheesa, Lou and CD, plus ONO (who will be ready for big time PT by mid-season), the Huskies will be among the top 3. They will certainly make the FF. And I predict NC #12 next year. This team will be fun to watch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
8th???? That's nuts. CW is ready to go at guard. She is THAT good. With Pheesa, Lou and CD, plus ONO (who will be ready for big time PT by mid-season), the Huskies will be among the top 3. They will certainly make the FF. And I predict NC #12 next year. This team will be fun to watch.

I suppose I could go over my concerns again--lack of size, defensive issues, depth--but I've really already done so. I'm glad you have so much faith in freshmen making huge impacts but we've heard all this as recently as last year; it just rarely happens. When you lose your two best defenders who are also your two best energy players, and your two best rebounders and most efficient offensive player, I think you'll find replacing them a tough task.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom