Updated: UConn Lineup | The Boneyard

Updated: UConn Lineup

Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

Backups are in ( ). As you can see Lou & Pheesa won’t be coming out much, nor will CD as long as she’s healthy.

Call me crazy but I think this team can win it all still. We will certainly miss Gabby, Z & Kia but how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? When people leave it presents an opportunity for someone else talented to step up.

I fully expect Pheesa & Lou to be close to 20-23 ppg next season. More defined roles now, less expectations. This team is going to be dangerous. I’ll be the person returning in December saying “I told you so...”

Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

Backups are in ( ). As you can see Lou & Pheesa won’t be coming out much, nor will CD as long as she’s healthy.

Call me crazy but I think this team can win it all still. We will certainly miss Gabby, Z & Kia but how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? When people leave it presents an opportunity for someone else talented to step up.

I fully expect Pheesa & Lou to be close to 20-23 ppg next season. More defined roles now, less expectations. This team is going to be dangerous. I’ll be the person returning in December saying “I told you so...”
We did miss Stewie, Mo and Tuck. How many championships since they left? Gabby and Kia were the heart and soul of the team and the defensive pressure. Expect a pretty big drop next year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's still a great lineup, but with ONO as the big wild card, as well as MW and Williams.

We'll see how much ONO improves by tournament time - huge upside, but frosh will be frosh ... so who knows? :p

Should be a fun season. Huge proven talent coupled with huge unproven talent. I'm game!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We did miss Stewie, Mo and Tuck. How many championships since they left? Gabby and Kia were the heart and soul of the team and the defensive pressure. Expect a pretty big drop next year.
That’s not the point. No one on here gave us a fighting chance either & we were favored heading into the FF that year. You have to get a little bit lucky to win it all, just ask ND & SC. Who knows, maybe we will find our luck next year in Orlando!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t know about ONO as a starter from Day 1, if at all. If she becomes a starter it will take time, and a lot of work with CD to refine her game. Maybe by midseason, but I think there’s just as good a possibility that UConn goes small with CW as the 5th starter.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

Suggestion, since it's going to come up quite often: Let's refer to Gabby, Z & Kia as GaZia.

Reaction Score
UConn Roster:

SR = KLS, Collier
JR = CD, Batouly, Irwin, Bent
SO = Walker, Coombs, Gordon
FR = Williams, Ono​

The playing time will be there. Hopefully some kids will step up and demand it (thru their effort).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno will Call Anriel Howard formerly of Texas A&M who's leaving as she is graduating in 3 years. She could be a Gruaduate Transfer and eligible to play right away.

Doubt it.

There's not much teaching involved bc she is only there for one year. For a coach who is very focused on doing things in a particular way, I'm not sure there's the time horizon he would want/need.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno will Call Anriel Howard formerly of Texas A&M who's leaving as she is graduating in 3 years. She could be a Gruaduate Transfer and eligible to play right away. She wants to go to a school that can win a National Championship. She is from Atlanta, will probably be hard to get her to come this far north.

Anriel Howard - 2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster - Texas A&M University Athletics Department

Perhaps being in Chennedy's shadow could have been an issue as well? Probably Miss St or SC. She would be a great get for either school I imagine.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

They are more than capable of winning it all. I'd have them penciled in as the #2 team after ND. Still have 2 returning AAs, Dangerfield, plus the last two #1 recruits. If MW makes the standard sophomore jump that so many UCONN kids do (ex. Dangerfield, KML, Jefferson, Stewart, KLS, Collier, DT, etc.) then UCONN will have a whopping 4 AA candidates between her, Dangerfield, Collier and KLS. Not to mention CW and ONO. If you look at HS rankings, UCONN is hands down the most talented team in the country with three #1 recruits, a #3 recruit, #5 recruit and #6 recruit. Notre Dame's likely starting 5, for comparison, is #2, #3, #10, #11, and #24.

UCONN hasn't lost a game to a buzzer beater was 5 years ago when Stewart was an up and down freshman. Sure, the decks aren't stacked on UCONN quite as heavily as they've been the last few years, but I don't see how anyone thinks they aren't going to be an overwhelming favorite to make their 12th straight Final Four and a huge threat to win it all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doubt it.

There's not much teaching involved bc she is only there for one year. For a coach who is very focused on doing things in a particular way, I'm not sure there's the time horizon he would want/need.
Except that Howard is the closest thing to a UConn player on TX A&M. She plays tough defense, is a tremendous rebounder and has some Gabulous athleticism. For one season as a plug-in for the now departed Z, I would love to see Howard in a Husky uniform next season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They are more than capable of winning it all. I'd have them penciled in as the #2 team after ND. Still have 2 returning AAs, Dangerfield, plus the last two #1 recruits. If MW makes the standard sophomore jump that so many UCONN kids do (ex. Dangerfield, KML, Jefferson, Stewart, KLS, Collier, DT, etc.) then UCONN will have a whopping 4 AA candidates between her, Dangerfield, Collier and KLS. Not to mention CW and ONO. If you look at HS rankings, UCONN is hands down the most talented team in the country with three #1 recruits, a #3 recruit, #5 recruit and #6 recruit. Notre Dame's likely starting 5, for comparison, is #2, #3, #10, #11, and #24.

They had a whopping six all-american candidates this past year, and lose arguably the best all-around player in the sport. But even Gabby Williams wasn't a great player until her junior season. What is the likelihood of Megan Walker becoming an all-american as a sophomore?

I'd start the team about 8th in the rankings.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They had a whopping six all-american candidates this past year, and lose arguably the best all-around player in the sport. But even Gabby Williams wasn't a great player until her junior season. What is the likelihood of Megan Walker becoming an all-american as a sophomore?

I don’t see Meg as an AA next year, but I’d compare her with sophomore Gabby or Tuck, if not sophomore Napheesa.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Meg as an AA next year, but I’d compare her with sophomore Gabby or Tuck, if not sophomore Napheesa.
You realize Pheesa’s sophomore season was among the best in UConn history right? 20pts, 9rebs a game & many thought she was the runner up to Plum for POY (not a close runner up, however). I’d be happy with 13pts, 6.5 rebs a game from Meg.

Reaction Score
Except that Howard is the closest thing to a UConn player on TX A&M. She plays tough defense, is a tremendous rebounder and has some Gabulous athleticism. For one season as a plug-in for the now departed Z, I would love to see Howard in a Husky uniform next season.

AGREE 1000%

Reaction Score
DZFSKsNU0AAuyJG.jpg

Anriel getting rebounding position against Jessica Sheppard. Yeah we would be a better team with her for sure. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Dawn Staley's office if she were to choose UCONN over SC

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You realize Pheesa’s sophomore season was among the best in UConn history right? 20pts, 9rebs a game & many thought she was the runner up to Plum for POY (not a close runner up, however). I’d be happy with 13pts, 6.5 rebs a game from Meg.
Yeah, that’s why I said it the way I did. I expect her to play more like sophomore Gabby or Tuck in terms of effectiveness and stats. In no way do I expect 20 ppg from Meg. Depending on other factors, I think 12 and 6 would make me happy.

Reaction Score

I'd put them definitely out of the top 5, with 4-5 losses on the year, and maybe finally getting that 1st AAC loss. Z is a huge loss, I'm afraid. 6'6" with experience is hard to replace.

Reaction Score
Okay, everyone like this post if you think UConn starts the season ranked outside the top 5 & ends with 5+ losses. I’d like to look back and laugh everyone.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the mass hysteria/panic. We have 2 ELITE stars coming back & a lot of talent we really haven’t gotten the chance to see. We saw what Crystal was capable of when healthy.

Remember when Kia was chosen as Preseason POY 2 years ago when we didn’t really know what we had in Gabby, Pheesa & Lou!? It will all be fine.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

The departure of GaZia means the loss of your leading thief, two of your top three rebounders, your leading rim protector and your premier perimeter defender. Can next season's lineup defend? Who guards Ogunbowale and Durr? Walker? Is she quick enough? Lou? Wouldn't want to get her in foul trouble, right? Maybe CW? Does UConn become a predominantly zone team?

Lots of questions but I'm confident you Boneyard devotees have the answers.

Reaction Score
I think it's way to big of an assumption to claim that Megan Walker will start next year. No hate to her, but let's admit it: she wasn't Maya or Stewart her freshman year. That's fine, but I could see CW starting over her. I also think Geno will start the best 5 players he has, regardless of position. That could mean that KLS plays 4, Collier plays 5, CD plays point, CW plays 2, and MW could play wing. There's no way ONO starts next year unless she makes a huge leap.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom