Updated: UConn Lineup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated: UConn Lineup

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The departure of GaZia means the loss of your leading thief, two of your top three rebounders, your leading rim protector and your premier perimeter defender. Can next season's lineup defend? Who guards Ogunbowale and Durr? Walker? Is she quick enough? Lou? Wouldn't want to get her in foul trouble, right? Maybe CW? Does UConn become a predominantly zone team?

Lots of questions but I'm confident you Boneyard devotees have the answers.
UConn played more multiple defenses this year then I can remember, including several types of zone, presses, traps and their more traditional man-to-man. In the past, Geno has joked about UConn not knowing what they were doing in a zone, but this year the Huskies were usually very sharp in their zone sets.

Reaction Score
Unlike many years, this year's freshmen can fill immediate team needs. For example, Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson started early on in the season because of need. They made their freshman mistakes and learned by playing. Ono brings size and skill. Williams athleticism, speed and generally good guard play. I expect Walker to make an important impact on the court. Hopefully, Coombs will be able contribute too. So, I hesitantly predict, that the January starting team will be Dangerfield, Williams, Collier, KLS and Ono with lots of opportunity for minutes from the bench.

Reaction Score
I think it's way to big of an assumption to claim that Megan Walker will start next year. No hate to her, but let's admit it: she wasn't Maya or Stewart her freshman year. That's fine, but I could see CW starting over her. I also think Geno will start the best 5 players he has, regardless of position. That could mean that KLS plays 4, Collier plays 5, CW plays point, CD plays 2, and MW could play wing. There's no way ONO starts next year unless she makes a huge leap.

Where are these people coming from with these silly suggestions? Sure, take your best PG and play her as a 2, and take a shooting guard (CW, if she even starts) and play her at the point. Oh brother.

Reaction Score
Where are these people coming from with these silly suggestions? Sure, take your best PG and play her as a 2, and take a shooting guard (CW, if she even starts) and play her at the point. Oh brother.
Whoops, I meant to write CW at 2 and CD at point. Regardless, I stand behind my overall point: Geno will put the best team on the floor he has, regardless of position.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it's way to big of an assumption to claim that Megan Walker will start next year. No hate to her, but let's admit it: she wasn't Maya or Stewart her freshman year. That's fine, but I could see CW starting over her. I also think Geno will start the best 5 players he has, regardless of position. That could mean that KLS plays 4, Collier plays 5, CW plays point, CD plays 2, and MW could play wing. There's no way ONO starts next year unless she makes a huge leap.
Your post is a bit baffling. Crystal played pg all season, with Geno stating she’ll be the pg on the U.S. National team some day, and you’re suggesting that Geno would move Crystal to the 2 guard and let an unproven freshman run the point. That won’t happen.

Lou, Pheesa, Megan & Crystal will definitely start, but there are a number of options for the 5th starter, and it could well change over the course of the season.

I am almost certain that on day 1, one of three returning players will be the 5th starter: Touly, Molly or Kyla. Once CW learns the offense, how to play UConn defense and hopefully gains Geno’s trust, she will have a shot to start as the 2 guard.

The other player with an outside shot to start might be ONO, since she’s the only true post on the team, but it requires significant development in her game, and I certainly don’t see that happening until mid-season or later.

Reaction Score
I’m in this Facebook group that’s dedicated to the UConn Wbb fans and I’m not sure how many boneyarders are in the group as well - to get to the point, many people have no faith in Megan Walker and all the faith in Christyn Williams. If you know anything about UConn wbb, you know that there’s not a freshmen in the country of any season who automatically start and be a star player in this program unless absolutely necessary. That happens only when players get injured or if the roster is not very talented or depleted and you’re needed to fill a position. Maya Moore, one of the all-time greats only started because a player got injured. Diana Taurasi the same, Lou started her freshman year because there was uncertainty among who would be the fifth starter. Breanna Stewart didn’t start and had an up and down season until tournament time. Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley started because they were needed to fill the guard and post spots.

So what is all this chatter about Christyn Williams? The McDonald’s game performance has led to excitement among many. Many people are assuming she’s going to be a star right away and one even went on to say “she’s going to make us forget about Diana Taurasi.” Mark my words: There will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVERRRRR be another Diana Taurasi EVERRR!!!

I hope the kid does great, but it happens every year. As fans we hype up these high school recruits and then lose all hope in them when they don’t perform up to our expectations. Megan Walker is a freshmen, she will be much better next year. It takes time to get adjusted to that type of coaching and still having confidence when you’ve never had to be coached like this in your life.

Reaction Score
The only 3 anyone can really be sure about is Lou, Pheesa and Crystal Dangerfield. Like last year, Geno and we have to see how players come in and perform to know which players are going to get PT plus start.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only 3 anyone can really be sure about is Lou, Pheesa and Crystal Dangerfield. Like last year, Geno and we have to see how players come in and perform to know which players are going to get PT plus start.
MW will start as well. She was at least as good as Crystal was as a freshman, and with Gabby & Z heading to the pros, UConn will need her rebounding.

Reaction Score
PG- CD (CW)
SG- MW (MC)
SF- Lou (Lou)
PF-Pheesa (Pheesa)
C- ONO (BC)

Backups are in ( ). As you can see Lou & Pheesa won’t be coming out much, nor will CD as long as she’s healthy.

Call me crazy but I think this team can win it all still. We will certainly miss Gabby, Z & Kia but how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? When people leave it presents an opportunity for someone else talented to step up.

I fully expect Pheesa & Lou to be close to 20-23 ppg next season. More defined roles now, less expectations. This team is going to be dangerous. I’ll be the person returning in December saying “I told you so...”
MW is not a guard at over 6ft. She can give KLS or NC a break. BC can play in the post and LG Along with MC need to show why they were ranked so high. Don't forget KI made big strides and if that continues she can play the 4 or 5. MB Is the only player as of now who should be only getting garbage minutes but Geno likes her and she may not be a great athlete but she is smart. Depth is good!

Reaction Score
I refuse to pencil anyone into the lineup sight unseen, so my chart reads: Crystal Dangerfield, MW, Lou, Phee, BC. (BC and KI were tossups in my mind.. I went with BC as the stronger player but either could lose out to Ono early on).

That being said Mikayla, CW and Ono have excellent opportunites to move up to starters sometime in November/December. Mikayla is the unknown because her recovery from DVT could have an impact on her readiness early in the season. KI and Molly will get lots of playing time.

Reaction Score
Okay, everyone like this post if you think UConn starts the season ranked outside the top 5 & ends with 5+ losses. I’d like to look back and laugh everyone.
No attack bbballfan23 but this is silly at best. UConn will be ranked near the top just like the men were until it is obviously different. Early season rankings mean about as much as a post on The Boneyard...Just say'n...;)

AAC loss? Some of you guys/gals must be smoking some really good stuff.
No attack here either pvdoggy. :) Gave up smoking really good stuff decades ago, probably why I was able to stay awake during the Tulane game 2-18-17. You must have missed that one. For one to think an AAC loss will never come leads others to think of more serious issues than what someone is smoking.
Here is another....UConn Women’s Basketball Outlook For 2019

Reaction Score
This is a serious question but aside from Ionescu, what other PG would you take over Crystal Dangerfield in terms of contenders? I think of the Dangerfield we had in the first half of the year before she got hurt.

You can argue PG is the most important position on the court because they are an extension of the coach. I like what we have in Crystal as long as she can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Again and again, except for one maybe two posters, almost every anoints MW not just a starting position but a few mentioned AA status for her.
Maybe she actually wins a starting position but other than being the #1 HS player as a senior, and a few good outings, what has she actually shown?
I don't think she's an off guard and think even though she will be a freshman CW will start in that position.
I also don't see her starting at the Small forward position moving KLS to the 4 and Pheesa to the 5. I think Ono or maybe Bataly starts and MW is a good, strong first sub.
The sophomore jump is not automatic! It must be earned! Most here didn't like Wilson being anointed NPOY but it's ok to anoint MW a starter scoring 1o-12 points and half as many rebounds. I hope so but it is surely not a given.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
They had a whopping six all-american candidates this past year, and lose arguably the best all-around player in the sport. But even Gabby Williams wasn't a great player until her junior season. What is the likelihood of Megan Walker becoming an all-american as a sophomore?

I'd start the team about 8th in the rankings.

Slu, you are one of the most indispensable members of the Boneyard and I admire you greatly. So I'm just really, really surprised to see you say this. With huge respect, I have to say that I think you're way more pessimistic than necessary on this.

In the fall of 2016, UConn was preseason #3 with a team that had a lot more question marks than the team we'll field next year (2018-19). And it turned out that #3 was too low, as that team went 36-1 against a brutal schedule and came within a whisker of going to the title game, where it would have been the favorite. Next year, we may well be as good as we were in 2016-17 or better -- but even if we're not, that still leaves us far better than #8. Lou and Pheesa will be better than they were as sophomores in 2016-17. True, we lose Gabby and Kia, but Crystal Dangerfield as a junior will be much better than Saniya Chong was (and I'm definitely not disparaging Chong but rather praising CD). And if we've learned anything from history, we've learned that superstar recruits like Megan Walker are 100% different as sophomores from how they were as freshmen. Pheese, to take but one of many examples, was comparable to Megan as a freshman and very possibly the best player on our 36-1 team as a sophomore. For all we know, it might be just as valuable to have Megan and Crystal next year as it was to have Gabby and Kia when they were juniors -- which would make next year's team better than the team of 2016-17 before we even consider Christyn Williams, ONO, Batouly, or Coombs (the last two of whom might well improve a lot as well in their second year of eligibility at UConn). And again, even if we're not as good as we were in 2016-17, there's a ton of room between that and #8.

Moreover, consider the 2011-2012 team. That team entered the tournament ranked #3 and came within a defensive rebound of going to the title game. And it had much less talent than next year's team. That team's best players were freshman KML (who entered college no more heralded than freshman Christyn Williams does next year) and sophomores Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson (who, albeit beloved, were not in the ballpark of Lou and Pheesa -- all the more so given that we're comparing them as sophomores to Lou and Pheesa as seniors). That 2012 team also had junior Kelly Faris and senior Tiffany Hayes, who were good players, but not as good in my opinion as we may expect Megan Walker to be next year. And that's not even assuming any contributions from ONO, Coombs, and Batouly.

Slu, do you honestly believe we're going to be the eighth best team in the country entering next season even though we have two of the very best players in the nation plus Crystal Dangerfield -- plus Megan Walker plus the freshmen plus Coombs/Batouly (who might make typical second-year leaps) plus a coach who's produced the nation's eighth-best team maybe once in the past quarter-century? I realize you're just saying we should start at #8, but the starting ranking is a prediction of how good we'll be, and there's no reason to predict we'll be anywhere near that bad even at the beginning of the year based on the players we'll have and our past results with similar or less good rosters.

So if that's what you believe, then I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So if that's what you believe, then I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised!

That would be nice, but as you say I am pessimistic at this point. I wasn't before Stevens decided to bolt. And I was certainly wrong about them two years ago. However, several things happened to make that team far better than it looked going in. One, KLS and Collier became Wade Trophy finalists. Two, Gabby Williams was probably the best player in the nation during her junior year, and she made up for several deficiencies with her smarts, versatility, athleticism, and all-around game. Throw in a very good senior season from Chong and you have a terrific team.

If we look at next season's team, where are the dramatic improvements going to come from? We all hope Megan Walker is #1 on the list. We'll see. Coombs barely played though I've always liked her skills. Even if Christyn Williams plays well as a freshmen can she be a difference-maker rather than a nice accompanying piece? Camara wasn't good/healthy enough this past year to get into any game before it was well decided. In fact, she only played 110 minutes the entire season.

They're talented enough to be top-10, maybe challenge top-5. I just don't see them as a contender against the top 3-4 teams.

Reaction Score
That would be nice, but as you say I am pessimistic at this point. I wasn't before Stevens decided to bolt. And I was certainly wrong about them two years ago. However, several things happened to make that team far better than it looked going in. One, KLS and Collier became Wade Trophy finalists. Two, Gabby Williams was probably the best player in the nation during her junior year, and she made up for several deficiencies with her smarts, versatility, athleticism, and all-around game. Throw in a very good senior season from Chong and you have a terrific team.

If we look at next season's team, where are the dramatic improvements going to come from? We all hope Megan Walker is #1 on the list. We'll see. Coombs barely played though I've always liked her skills. Even if Christyn Williams plays well as a freshmen can she be a difference-maker rather than a nice accompanying piece? Camara wasn't good/healthy enough this past year to get into any game before it was well decided. In fact, she only played 110 minutes the entire season.

They're talented enough to be top-10, maybe challenge top-5. I just don't see them as a contender against the top 3-4 teams.

You make many smart points, as usual. But here's the key thing: In order to be much better than #8, UConn doesn't need to get the kind of improvement next year that it got from KLS and Collier two years ago. Two years ago, UConn needed that improvement because all its best players were graduating: Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan. No one who returned had yet shown any sign of being one of the nation's best players. But now, we have two players returning who are already among the nation's best players. The primary reasons that the 2017 team went 36-1 -- KLS and Collier -- are still around and two years more developed.

I know we lost Gabby and Kia, and it's reasonable to think that those losses will make us less good than in 2017, even with the improvement of KLS and Collier. But Crystal Dangerfield is a major mitigating consideration. And I just don't think it's realistic to expect nothing from Megan, Christyn, ONO, Batouly, and Coombs. If even one of those five becomes really good, or if two of them become solid contributors, then the team looks as good as the 2017 team or at least similar. And that's before we even mention Geno's track record: Only once in the past 25 years (2004-05) has one of his teams been as bad as you're predicting, and that team's roster returned no one who had played at all like KLS or Collier, let alone both of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We did miss Stewie, Mo and Tuck. How many championships since they left? Gabby and Kia were the heart and soul of the team and the defensive pressure. Expect a pretty big drop next year.
Love Gabby and Kia to death, I really do, but Gabby can’t shoot the three and Kia needed to be more of a scoring threat. We didn’t have a player like Stewie or Maya who could score at will or create their own shot and take over the game at crunch time.

Reaction Score
You make many smart points, as usual. But here's the key thing: In order to be much better than #8, UConn doesn't need to get the kind of improvement next year that it got from KLS and Collier two years ago. Two years ago, UConn needed that improvement because all its best players were graduating: Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan. No one who returned had yet shown any sign of being one of the nation's best players. But now, we have two players returning who are already among the nation's best players. The primary reasons that the 2017 team went 36-1 -- KLS and Collier -- are still around and two years more developed.

I know we lost Gabby and Kia, and it's reasonable to think that those losses will make us less good than in 2017, even with the improvement of KLS and Collier. But Crystal Dangerfield is a major mitigating consideration. And I just don't think it's realistic to expect nothing from Megan, Christyn, ONO, Batouly, and Coombs. If even one of those five becomes really good, or if two of them become solid contributors, then the team looks as good as the 2017 team or at least similar. And that's before we even mention Geno's track record: Only once in the past 25 years (2004-05) has one of his teams been as bad as you're predicting, and that team's roster returned no one who had played at all like KLS or Collier, let alone both of them.
I completely agree. He acts like we need 2 more Wade trophy finalists. So Sluconn, you’re saying in order for us to have a chance we must have 4 Wade trophy finalists!? Hahaha well I’d hope we’d have a chance to win because then we would have the best team ever!

Reaction Score
Love Gabby and Kia to death, I really do, but Gabby can’t shoot the three and Kia needed to be more of a scoring threat. We didn’t have a player like Stewie or Maya who could score at will or create their own shot and take over the game at crunch time.
Yes it would have been nice to have 2 of the greatest women’s basketball players ever on roster, that may have helped. I guess we will just have to settle for two of the top 10 players in program history next year :(

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Perhaps being in Chennedy's shadow could have been an issue as well? Probably Miss St or SC. She would be a great get for either school I imagine.

Doubt Mississippi State as a destination. No matter how amicably this separation is dressed up (if it happens), I don't think Vic Schaefer - a long-time A&M assistant and good friend of Gary Blair -- is going to roll out the deep red carpet for someone leaving his buddy's program.

Now, South Carolina on the other hand seems right.

Hoping matters can get squared away in College Station. As much as I hated the Irish match-up against them, that was a very hard team to match up again for the Irish. I'm glad they lost track of Mabrey that game (7 three's), otherwise who knows?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I completely agree. He acts like we need 2 more Wade trophy finalists. So Sluconn, you’re saying in order for us to have a chance we must have 4 Wade trophy finalists!? Hahaha well I’d hope we’d have a chance to win because then we would have the best team ever!

Even if you think KLS and Collier cancel each other out--and that's if Collier plays at her sophomore level this year--and Dangerfield is an upgrade from Chong, there is nobody to come close to matching what Gabby Williams did that season. There is no Kia Nurse replacement from a shooting, defending, and intensity level either.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Dude, we have 2 AA's (as Seniors) and a very good point guard. With that, you only need a couple role players to be a contender. Out of Walker, Williams, ONO, Batauly, Coombs, we should be able to get a couple role players. They may not win it all, but they will certainly be contenders.

Look at this year. Mississippi St had McCowan and Vivians and some role players. Louisville had Durr and Hines-Allen and some role players. ND had Ogunwale, Shepard, Young and some role players.

We'll be in the mix next year.

Reaction Score
Even if you think KLS and Collier cancel each other out--and that's if Collier plays at her sophomore level this year--and Dangerfield is an upgrade from Chong, there is nobody to come close to matching what Gabby Williams did that season. There is no Kia Nurse replacement from a shooting, defending, and intensity level either.
Why do you assume Collier won’t with the departure of 2 front court top 5 WNBA picks?? Very pessimistic, indeed.

I love Gabby’s defense & athleticism but her offense was average. Let’s be honest if it wasn’t for the wow plays or the fact that she played on UConn, she wouldn’t have gotten any AA accolades on any other program. Averaged 10, 7 & 5 and everyone acts like she was robbed of 1st Team AA.

Kia was a very good role player but her defense was more about having great help behind her. We will certainly miss her spot up shooting capability but she wasn’t the same player in the post season. Those two just simply weren’t capable of leading when it mattered most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom