Update on a Tenn recruit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Update on a Tenn recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just to clarify, Rupp Arena is not Kentucky women's playing court. Only one game played there this past season. Women's facilities and fan support at UK nowhere near the level of that at UTK.
As opposed to UTM or UTC? ;)

Reaction Score
I understand the decision, but think Illinois, Auburn, and Michigan made better coaching moves this offseason.

First you said the problem was having a "new" coach. Now you've changed it to having a mediocre coach. Which is it?

Warlick was the only option. To argue TN should've (or could've) done something different ignores reality. For all we know, PHS might still be coaching, and it was only the AD who persuaded her to agree to this interim solution.

And either way, would the program really be in better shape if they announced to everyone that they were throwing overboard Summit's pick for someone else?`

There is no logical scenario under which Warlick wasnt the coach.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First you said the problem was having a "new" coach. Now you've changed it to having a mediocre coach. Which is it?

Warlick was the only option. To argue TN should've (or could've) done something different ignores reality. For all we know, PHS might still be coaching, and it was only the AD who persuaded her to agree to this interim solution.

And either way, would the program really be in better shape if they announced to everyone that they were throwing overboard Summit's pick for someone else?`

There is no logical scenario under which Warlick wasnt the coach.

I won't speak for Alex, but none of those other institutions are going from arguably the greatest coach in the history of basketball to someone else. So saying that those other schools did better is not a reach.

I agree that it had to be Warlick for this year. If she continues with the substitution patterns that were questioned last year, and can't get them to play with more continuity, it will be a very short term change for Tennessee.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It's Holly's job unless she proves that Tenn can't get elite players from the loaded 2013 class and then win with them. IMHO Tenn has to get a Top 3 recruiting class, otherwise the whispering will start to begin and you'll probably see another change in about three years. The AD will give Holly three years at least.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's Holly's job unless she proves that Tenn can't get elite players from the loaded 2013 class and then win with them. IMHO Tenn has to get a Top 3 recruiting class, otherwise the whispering will start to begin and you'll probably see another change in about three years. The AD will give Holly three years at least.

Based on the clues on the open board, their chat has it that Tennessee will get 6 of the top players in the 2013 class.

Reaction Score
Based on the clues on the open board, their chat has it that Tennessee will get 6 of the top players in the 2013 class.

LMAO! Que to "Purple Haze" by Jimmy. Maybe someone can sample this song and rename it "Orange/Powder Blue Haze"! What the heck are those folk smokin'?

Reaction Score
LMAO! Que to "Purple Haze" by Jimmy. Maybe someone can sample this song and rename it "Orange/Powder Blue Haze"! What the heck are those folk smokin'?
Not Jimi - That's Dollywood country. Has to be Country & Western, like , I've Got Volun-tears In My Ears" or "Letters of Intent Arrived from 6 AAs, Which Meeting Should I Attend?" or "We Don't Know Jack, but we do know Jack Daniels."

Logical though, they'll get everyone DeMoss lined up, plus everyone Elzy will bring with her, plus Pat will be spending full time recruiting, plus with the JUCO players not committing, the top recruits will feel sorry for TN.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Whatever the number, it will be the best class in the history of the world!!!
Yep, it will make uconn's class this year look like a JV team.

Reaction Score
In theory, TN does have a good story to sell to recruits...a lot of playing time available, opportunity to bring TN back to its glory days, still have Pat around to mentor them, situation is stable now with Holly in-charge, etc...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In theory, TN does have a good story to sell to recruits...a lot of playing time available, opportunity to bring TN back to its glory days, still have Pat around to mentor them, situation is stable now with Holly in-charge, etc...

You make some valid points. But I think Tennessee is now on more level playing ground with schools like Kentucky and Louisville, who are competing for many of the same recruits.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
You make some valid points. But I think Tennessee is now on more level playing ground with schools like Kentucky and Louisville, who are competing for many of the same recruits.

I'm not ready to concede that just yet.

Compared to UK and UofL, Tennessee has better facilites and a better track record of commitment to women's athletics. Pat stepping down is bound to knock our reputation down a little bit, but, as previously stated in this thread, the recruiters will spin this positively: "Come be a part of the new Tennessee tradition and get us back to the top of the sport."

Aside from Connecticut, no one even comes close to matching the support the Lady Vols continue to get. That support will not magically dissipate just because we haven't acheived much the last 4 years.

Bringing Elzy on board is key. Rumors are swirling that we are bringing in another great recruiter alongside her. With the right people in place, I don't see a reason we can't land 6 from 2013. We certainly have the room for them.

And, if we do land 6 kids, one could argue that it woud be one of the best hauls of all time. Of course, we thought that the 2008 class was the best at the time and that turned out to be...well...not true. Such is the game of recruiting, I suppose.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Compared to UK and UofL, Tennessee has better facilites and a better track record of commitment to women's athletics. Pat stepping down is bound to knock our reputation down a little bit, but, as previously stated in this thread, the recruiters will spin this positively: "Come be a part of the new Tennessee tradition and get us back to the top of the sport."

Aside from Connecticut, no one even comes close to matching the support the Lady Vols continue to get. That support will not magically dissipate just because we haven't acheived much the last 4 years.

Bringing Elzy on board is key. Rumors are swirling that we are bringing in another great recruiter alongside her. With the right people in place, I don't see a reason we can't land 6 from 2013. We certainly have the room for them.

And, if we do land 6 kids, one could argue that it woud be one of the best hauls of all time. Of course, we thought that the 2008 class was the best at the time and that turned out to be...well...not true. Such is the game of recruiting, I suppose.

You are underestimating Louisville. Great coach and great facility. And great fans. Right behind Tennessee in attendance. And the Yum center is amazing. I believe a better facility than TBA.

I guess we will see if it was Pat or Tennessee that brought in the great players over the years.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score

I've found they don't know nearly as much as they let on. Right now we would just settle for ONE player.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
You are underestimating Louisville. Great coach and great facility. And great fans. Right behind Tennessee in attendance. And the Yum center is amazing. I believe a better facility than TBA.

I guess we will see if it was Pat or Tennessee that brought in the great players over the years.

The YUM Center (name aside) is amazing. I've loved my trips there. However, the practice and the dorm faciliteis and Tennessee are much better than at Louisville. This is a direct result of having a great commitment to women's athletics. Jeff is a tremendous coach, and he is building up a great program there, but they are still a level below Tennessee. Closer than in years past, I'll concede, but still below. Kentucky doesn't even belong in the conversation IMO.

To touch on Darth's comment as well, Summitteers are very weary of spreading information they recieve via chat. Maria shares a lot of info to those who participate in chat only and does not want this information floating around. She gets information from knowledgable sources, and, in my experience, she's never been wrong. So most posters know quite a bit, but they don't feel comfortable sharing that info.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The YUM Center (name aside) is amazing. I've loved my trips there. However, the practice and the dorm faciliteis and Tennessee are much better than at Louisville. This is a direct result of having a great commitment to women's athletics. Jeff is a tremendous coach, and he is building up a great program there, but they are still a level below Tennessee. Closer than in years past, I'll concede, but still below. Kentucky doesn't even belong in the conversation IMO.

To touch on Darth's comment as well, Summitteers are very weary of spreading information they recieve via chat. Maria shares a lot of info to those who participate in chat only and does not want this information floating around. She gets information from knowledgable sources, and, in my experience, she's never been wrong. So most posters know quite a bit, but they don't feel comfortable sharing that info.

What is the big secret? Has a player said they would committ and Maria knows about it? It's hard to believe.

The double secret society is just a little too much. It's college basketball, not the CIA. We are weary of it as well.

JS

Reaction Score
To touch on Darth's comment as well, Summitteers are very weary of spreading information they recieve via chat.
I trust you mean wary -- unless they've been spreading a lot more of it that we realize.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

I don't recall fans saying the 2008 class of 6 was the best ever. The best 6 Pack was the original group that included Candace and went on to win 2 titles. It was known that the 2nd 6 Pack included some tweeners that would need Vicki Baugh and Kelley Cain for the post with Cait McMahon for the point guard spot, all of whom were severely injured. The original 6 Pack was more balanced. The key is getting 6 players with balance from the point guard through the center.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep, it will make uconn's class this year look like a JV team.
and don't forget that the 2013 class is "substantially" better than the 2012 class. :rolleyes:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
and don't forget that the 2013 class is "substantially" better than the 2012 class. :rolleyes:

I do think it's deeper. But when you get 3 of the top 5 players, as UConn did, depth doesn't matter from our perspective.

I'm sure they are counting on Russell and her buddy Mavunga (supposed matched set), Greenwell, Deshields, Gray, Tucker.

Anyone else listing Tennessee?

Reaction Score

It's common in fandom to be enthusiastic beyond reality. Look at how many people buy lottery tickets. We often hear comments from Vols referring to what was and relating it to the future. But, like your broker tells you, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Take track record for commitment to women's athletics for instance. Do you think it would have developed if TN didn't have Pat for all those years. Isn't it more likely that, without Pat, things would have developed like the rest of the schools in the SEC? If you accept that premise, on what basis will support remain at a high level in Pat's absence? TN is already pegged to decline to perhaps as low as 4th place in the conference. If that happens, or worse, how long will support last? Fans like the feel good of being a fan of a winning team. When the team is no longer winning, support wanes. And, it seems as though TN fans are already concerned about the Athletic Director's commitment to women's sports.

Before Pat announced her illness (last year), wasn't fan support waning? This year Pat's situation did much to revive interest in the Lady Vols. I don't think you can point to this year's interest and extrapolate that into the future. We'll have to see what happens.

I think the consensus is that Elzy was a good move. But, looking into the future, is it a good idea to have 6 graduating seniors in one year? Also, if you do get 6 great recruits, how many of them will play next year, and what about the remaining 3 years. Uconn fans are worried about a class of 3 great recruits and it's impact on future recruiting. Imagine those recruits thinking about having to compete every day with 5 great players with none of them graduating in time to give you your chance in the limelight?

I think next year will be an interesting year, but I'm not buying one of the lottery tickets you're selling.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do think it's deeper. But when you get 3 of the top 5 players, as UConn did, depth doesn't matter from our perspective.

I'm sure they are counting on Russell and her buddy Mavunga (supposed matched set), Greenwell, Deshields, Gray, Tucker.

Anyone else listing Tennessee?
don't disagree, but if UCONN lands the #1 and/or #2 player in 3 or 4 classes like they have done, it won't matter if "School B" lands the 5,7,and 9th rated players in each of those classes. IMHO it's why landing players like KML, Morgan, Moriah and Breanna. Even going back a bit, Maya, Tina, a healthy Vicki Baugh, Tina, Candace, etc.

Usually the top 2-3 players in a class are a notch above the rest of the top 10. and when (it's totally unfair) a school like UCONN stockpiles a cadre of the top 2-3 kids in several consecutive classes (Duke is the only other team currently who comes close with E Will, Chelsey Grey and Alexis Jones), it won't matter if other teams get a couple other top 10 kids, even more in numbers, cuz you can only play 5 kids at a time anyway...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Elsewhere here on the Boneyard is a thread about Charlie Creme's evaluation of teams for the upcoming season.

He should have gone a bit further and added a comment about fans. Something like, "There remains an element of fans of UConn and the LadyVols who remain obsessed with one another's team."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom