Update on a Tenn recruit | The Boneyard

Update on a Tenn recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
bummer for them. i don't think she would have been much help anyway. the taller center seemed like a better fit...

Reaction Score
They will apparently have a patchwork team next year and be OK, then back to being decent team in 13, assuming that they land a decent recruiting class. Elzy a good hire as asst coach. Holly needs to be the bomb as HC, and not defer to Pat or anyone ... she needs to forge her own path.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kyra Elzy was in charge of recruiting at Kentucky. This could be a big loss for Ky. and a huge win for Tenn. Many of the players that were on Kentucky's list are also on Tenn's list. Will Kyra's loss impact Kentucky's 2013 recruiting class? Time will tell.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What's Plan C? :D
Plan C is going with a nine-player roster of which six kids are underclasswomen and a new coach. And hoping the raw talent level is enough to get by.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kyra Elzy was in charge of recruiting at Kentucky. This could be a big loss for Ky. and a huge win for Tenn. Many of the players that were on Kentucky's list are also on Tenn's list. Will Kyra's loss impact Kentucky's 2013 recruiting class? Time will tell.

Which recruits were on both lists that were leaning to Kentucky?

Reaction Score
Plan C is going with a nine-player roster of which six kids are underclasswomen and a new coach. And hoping the raw talent level is enough to get by.

"New coach" is a bit overstating.
While she's no Pat, they've worked together so long, it should be a pretty smooth transition.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't know if a recruit is favoring Ky slightly over Tenn. However, if Kyra was the primary point of contact for a recruit; lets say Greenwell; will Kyra going to Tenn influence her decision? Who knows, it might. Asst Coaches play a key role in the recruitment of players, but obviously the Head Coach has the most influence.

Like Niele Ivey for Notre Dame, Kyra Elzy was a key component in the recruitment of players. Her loss is significant.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
"New coach" is a bit overstating.
While she's no Pat, they've worked together so long, it should be a pretty smooth transition.
That was certainly the rationale for the decision to promote her, but there's still a learning curve associated with being an assistant versus the CEO of a program like the Tennessee LVs. Handling all of the decisions, demands on your time external to the basketball court, dealing with media, boosters, university administration, finance folks, etc., takes some time to get used to. And to manage high expectations when you have a young team on top of it without looking like you're shying away from the legacy that allowed those expectations to exist? It's a fine line. And not easy.

I understand the decision, but think Illinois, Auburn, and Michigan made better coaching moves this offseason.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't know if a recruit is favoring Ky slightly over Tenn. However, if Kyra was the primary point of contact for a recruit; lets say Greenwell; will Kyra going to Tenn influence her decision? Who knows, it might. Asst Coaches play a key role in the recruitment of players, but obviously the Head Coach has the most influence.

Like Niele Ivey for Notre Dame, Kyra Elzy was a key component in the recruitment of players. Her loss is significant.

Kyra to recruit last week - You should go to Kentucky. great coach and great fans. Wonderful arena.

Kyra to recruit this week - Never mind. Tennessee is the place for you.

Now, if you were a recruit, how would you react?

It's a slippery slope here.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kyra to recruit last week - You should go to Kentucky. great coach and great fans. Wonderful arena.

that's a good point. some are making it sound like Geno, for example, has nothing to do with recruiting till he does the in home visit and makes an offer. he's out visiting recruits all the time. sure he sends out Shea and Marissa to evaluate recruits early in the process, but he went out to see Erica McCall early in the process. When she's on campus i'm sure he meets with her. i think it's fantasy land to really think an assistant at the level of Kyra Elzy is going to suddenly bring all the kids she was helping recruit to Kentucky to Tennessee.

In fact, Kyra is the same exact age as Shea. do people think if Shea left and went to Maryland, that suddenly Diamond and Saniya would then decide to follow her there? I think having a great relationship with an assistant can be important to a kid, but it seems to me to be more of a minor factor than the program, head coach, teammates, etc etc.

And you are right - if she's been selling Mitchell, the Kentucky program, the arena, the new history they are building, it's going to sound a bit self serving to suddenly say "oh no, now I'm telling you that Holly will develop you better than Matthew, and you'd fit in better at Tennessee, etc etc."

Maybe i'm wrong about the kind of "recruiter" Elzy was, but she's no Chris Dailey, nor is she at the same level as say Trisha Stafford-Odom, who recently left Duke for UNC.

Reaction Score
No worries. The fans will come up with a good slogan that will inspire whoever the players are and save the day, e.g.. Nine is Fine. Final four, who needs more (I was going to say Moore, but that would be cruel).

Reaction Score

By the same token,

Head coach: "Come to school A. It's great here! We've got great academics and a great campus. Our facilities are awesome and you'll get to play with person Y and person Z, who will really accentuate your game."

Head coach goes to another school. "Never mind. Come to school B; it's the place for you."

Does recruit follow?
It happens.

Reaction Score
Gain Elzy lose DeMoss, even swap?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
By the same token,

Head coach: "Come to school A. It's great here! We've got great academics and a great campus. Our facilities are awesome and you'll get to play with person Y and person Z, who will really accentuate your game."

Head coach goes to another school. "Never mind. Come to school B; it's the place for you."

Does recruit follow?
It happens.

Big difference between an assistant and a head coach. Most recruits go to play for the HC not the assistant.

Either way, I'm not sure a player will follow an assistant to another school.

Reaction Score
Oh sure - she can have some influence bringing over KY leans to Tenn, but doesnt mean any difference to me. Good luck to her. I love my huskies. A bonafide PG.... a deep and talented post presence..... when do we start?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You're over looking a key component in the recruitment of players. Players develop a rapport with the assistant coaches that will eventually be their primary coach when attending school. Kyra could have developed a great personal relationship with a recruit(s) and that just may be enough to convince a recruit to attend Tenn.

There are many times the assistant coaches are the ones that open the door to allow the Head Coach to close the deal on a recruit. If a recruit doesn't get along with an assistant coach, they aren't going to attend the school regardless of who the Head Coach is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You're over looking a key component in the recruitment of players. Players develop a rapport with the assistant coaches that will eventually be their primary coach when attending school. Kyra could have developed a great personal relationship with a recruit(s) and that just may be enough to convince a recruit to attend Tenn.

There are many times the assistant coaches are the ones that open the door to allow the Head Coach to close the deal on a recruit. If a recruit doesn't get along with an assistant coach, they aren't going to attend the school regardless of who the Head Coach is.

Not overlooking that at all. I understand that totally.

My point is that the player has heard from the assistant how great the school is and how great the coach is. Now she is going to say something different.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think its a gain for Tenn to have Elzy over DeMoss. Kyra is more able to relate to today's players better then DeMoss did. Tenn needed to get a younger coaching staff and they have done that.

Gain Elzy lose DeMoss, even swap?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Getting gifted players has not been TN's problem even in the recent past.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With all the limitations on person to person contact, I think the 'relationship' building that goes on happens mostly with unofficial visits to campus where contact is not limited and where the HC is definitely involved. Yes there are phone calls (Hello Baylor!) but even those are restricted.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think its a gain for Tenn to have Elzy over DeMoss. Kyra is more able to relate to today's players better then DeMoss did. Tenn needed to get a younger coaching staff and they have done that.
I agree. I never understood what exactly DeMoss did to earn her reputation. She really did nothing on her own at KY and as GG's asst. At Texas. And my feeling is she is just not a very likable person so I never bought this "great recruiter" rep she had. A very over rated coach IMO.

Meanwhile Elzy was a heck of a player, who is much younger and can probably relate much better to recruits.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, Rupp Arena is not Kentucky women's playing court. Only one game played there this past season. Women's facilities and fan support at UK nowhere near the level of that at UTK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom