Underrated US Cities | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Arlington and Alexandria Virginia
Silver Spring, Rockville, and Bethesda Maryland
Portland Maine, though I fear it has become overrun with hipsters.
Portsmouth New Hampshire
Savanah Georgia though it is really just the immediate city center because otherwise it just ugly urban sprawl as soon as you leave the center
Athens Georgia
West Hartford CT
Pittsburgh

I'll be up that way for work soon. I've always had a good time in the area; plenty of food/drink within walking distance of hotels.

Reaction Score
No one cares about Stamford, but no one does anything worse than Hartford.

If you really want to fix Hartford, take the signs down and make long term plans towards making the entire place a empty field.

Then, start over.
Been saying that and getting slammed for it for years. Burn it to the ground and start over.

Reaction Score
Bit surprised that Wilmington, NC got such a cool reaction (traffic there does suck big time). So if that suggestion was cold then my suggestion of Greensboro will probably be icy.
Greensboro has great weather, close to mountains and beach, and it’s cheap. You can buy a $1mio house (Northeast price) for less than $500k. Yes it sucks that UConn isn’t in the ACC, but if was, it would be perfect.
Ps for younger generation (less than 30) Greensboro probably lives up to it’s reputation as Greensboring.

Im retired and don’t ski so Burlington VT is a bust. Providence, with milder weather is a possibility. But remember I’m the dude who considered retirement in Willamantic, CT.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My underatted cities? Portland Me, Seattle, San Diego, Santa Fe, Harrisonburg VA, Providence RI, Santa Barbara CA, Portsmouth NH, St Pete, Tampa FL, Charlotte NC, Chapel Hill NC, Memphis TN, KC, Covington KY (much preferable to Cincy), Athens, GA, Boston, Stamford. MY overratted cites? Dallas, Houston (any city in Texas), LA, NYC, Hartford, Atlanta, Miami, any city in NJ, San Fran, Salt Lake City, Biloxi, NO, any city in Phoenix area.

Reaction Score
My underatted cities? Portland Me, Seattle, San Diego, Santa Fe, Harrisonburg VA, Providence RI, Santa Barbara CA, Portsmouth NH, St Pete, Tampa FL, Charlotte NC, Chapel Hill NC, Memphis TN, KC, Covington KY (much preferable to Cincy), Athens, GA, Boston, Stamford. MY overratted cites? Dallas, Houston (any city in Texas), LA, NYC, Hartford, Atlanta, Miami, any city in NJ, San Fran, Salt Lake City, Biloxi, NO, any city in Phoenix area.
I don’t think a single city on this list is underrated.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah. Actually you don’t know me. So keep making ass..umptions. I’ve likely lived in a hell of a lot more diverse cities than you have. Soulless? Maybe because you’re a spoiled guy who grew up in Fairfield County and aren’t part of a community. No, the people I grew up with don’t live here anymore. And no, I’m not part of the WASP class you’re likely bred from.
I will say this about Stamford. You have a infinitely higher chance of having a middle or upper middle class Black neighbor in Stamford than you do in Pittsburgh. Also plenty of Latinos making it in Stamford. Here in Pittsburgh, Latinos are mostly all in the hilly, decrepit Beechview neighborhood, which hasn't seen a new house in my lifetime.

I remember when they first started developing the Summer St extension with the Mexican place and the New Orleans place on the corner. And the Davenport Hotel bar across from Bobby V's. Those were pretty good bars for the time and something Stamford lacked as it was mostly shot and beer joints back then. So over in that area one could have a good time. And then you could still walk to Tacos Guadalajara for cheap drunk food. Maybe it wasn't much, but man, at the time it was huge progress.

Last edited:

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Anyone with opinions on the Space Coast Florida? Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera?

Reaction Score
I went to undergrad in NC and have to say Raleigh, Wilmington are great places and law school in RI and Providence is underrated. At least 20 years ago when I was there. Would love to retire in NC

Reaction Score
If you've lived in a more diverse neighborhood than Queens, let's hear it.
Houston. Southwest Houston. Specifically, Fondren.

Queens isn’t a neighborhood. Forest Hills Gardens? Or Jamaica Estates? Bwahahaha.

Reaction Score
I would suggest Beaufort, SC over Savannah or Charleston.

IMO both Savannah and Charleston are pretty well rated or known for what they offer.

Beaufort splits the difference between the two and has some small town charm.
Savannah is about 45 min and Charleston is a bit over an hour.

Beaufort is also close to Hilton Head without all the old retiree trappings of Hilton Head.
Savannah is the hood and Charleston is a gorgeous place full of interesting mansions, brick roads and amazing landscaping. I don’t see the similarity at all.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Anyone with opinions on the Space Coast Florida? Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera?
I have been there quite a few times due to work and play. I wouldn’t call the area a city in relation to the cities discussed but there is a lot going on down there.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Late to the party but...

I spent a couple of weeks in SLC in 2019. I really loved it - great hiking, incredible views. The downside is mostly alcohol-related. Beers on tap are limited to 4%, have to order food. There is a weird smog inversion thing and generally bad air quality. And last they get more snow than Boston.

The northeast has several great small cities - Portsmouth, Portland, Burlington, Newport and yes even Providence. They’re all pretty nice but I like Newport the best.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
any city in Phoenix area.
Tempe is great. Nice downtown - vibrant due to the college, lots of scenery (mountains of course). You just have to put up with oppressive heat. Would have been a great landing spot for my earlier years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Savannah is the hood and Charleston is a gorgeous place full of interesting mansions, brick roads and amazing landscaping. I don’t see the similarity at all.

Savannah has plenty to do along the river front area and up the river for several blocks without any dangers. It has plenty of history on its own. You can avoid any "hood" type areas without much of an issue. It is definitely a bit more quirky and blue collar than Charleston. Charleston is definitely a bit more uppidity and stiff collared. And yes, the mansions along the harbor are impressive.

Somewhat ironic, while in Charleston Mrs. Diesel and myself found plenty of locally sourced and made food from Savannah. While in Savannah we didn't see anything from Charleston.

Going back to my original point............nice thing about Beaufort is you can spend a day in either city and get back in your own bed with a pretty easy drive from either city.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Been saying that and getting slammed for it for years. Burn it to the ground and start over.

Two options, all involve not persisting with the idea that it can be saved.

1) Wait for everyone to move and then turn it into an empty field and try again in 200 years.

2) Get a time machine. Go back in time and establish the main UConn campus in Hartford on the banks of the river. Boom. Classic New England college town.

Reaction Score
New Haven belongs on that list. From an off he charts Yale Museum, to the best pizza in America - not to mention GREAT Italian restaurants, boating on the sound, concerts on the Green, bar scene is top notch, good music scene, pretty decent off off broadway theater, vastly underrated city.

Reaction Score
New Haven belongs on that list. From an off he charts Yale Museum, to the best pizza in America - not to mention GREAT Italian restaurants, boating on the sound, concerts on the Green, bar scene is top notch, good music scene, pretty decent off off broadway theater, vastly underrated city.

I think New Haven has the most potential of the CT cities as well.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
My hometown of Pittsburgh is number one but I’ll throw Columbus into the mix...

As close as it is, I never really considered a trip to Columbus until a few years ago when we had a game at OSU. Since then I’m angry I waited so long to make the trip, as it’s a seriously fun spot. R Bar in the Arena District is truly the best sports bar I’ve ever been to. Tons of fun spots, great food, and very affordable. Can’t recommend it enough.
Absolutely agree. Columbus has really turned itself into a great small city and it has some trendy suburbs as well. The new soccer stadium is going to be fantastic in the arena district the Clippers baseball park is one of the best minor league parks to watch a game, and the different villages offer vast array of different food and drink. Lived here longer now then I did back home in Barkhamsted and even convinced my parents to come off the mountain and move out here. They said they wished they did years earlier!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom