Underrated US Cities | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Both Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska are awesome.

North Carolina has a million awesome towns and most have been mentioned but one that hasn’t that I’ll bring up is New Bern. Love the Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington area too.

Kiawah, SC

Sioux Falls, SD was a great weekend. Ton of cool stuff and people there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I agree with Providence. It gets crapped on and is a nice city. Terrific restaurants, good arts & music, even has some good breweries, especially Long Live Beer Works.

Burlington, Savannah, Charleston are terrific, but not underrated.

Kansas City is underrated. The Plaza area is really nice, and they have done a terrific job creating interesting spots for dining, bars, music etc. Long a center for Jazz and Blues music, and of course BBQ. Few cities have upgraded themselves the way it has over the last 20 years. Curious if @ZooCougar agrees.

Aiken, SC is quite nice. It's across the river from Augusta, GA. It is loaded with horse farms, and is an equestrian center. It has a really nice downtown area, lots of outdoor dining and it has become fairly young and vibrant, in part due to the growth of U SC - Aiken.

Worcester, MA is closing in on being underrated. It doesn't have a great rep, and still have some work to do. But the downtown is pretty decent, it has 3 colleges, several breweries sprung up, and now the Red Sox AAA team has moved in to Polar Park, which is going to include a new dining/bar area. It is a biotech hub, and given that it is still inexpensive, I think it will be a target of increased gentrification. Loads of gorgeous old homes.
been in and around aiken for over a decade, exactly because of my horse nut friends, and then exactly because it felt like it had a growth future. it did. other than a bitness view, i don't have any opinion other than the usual 'any place is good if you like it and no place is good if you don't.' the massachusetts underrated (highly) place, for me, is pittsfield, 'capital of the bershires.' yup. what's old is new again. and for those only measuring brews, food, and coffee, they're full of 'it.' im big on other things in measuring quality of life. heck, they even have a slope or two just a few minutes away for us winter fun nuts. it ain't utaaaaaaah, but it is pleasantly local. mel-low.
aerial-view-of-downtown-pittsfield-massachusetts-on-a-cloudy-spring-picture-id1218883961

having trains running thru a place is always high on my list, when thinking aboot the future. they got 'em. and speaking of summer fun nuts, let's just say that i've already been in the water this season, up in maine. new england is just plain awesome. way, way, better than old england. always has been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't share my opinion to personally insult anyone on the board, so my condolences that it was taken that way.

Stamford is just a boring, stale city. I can't deny, but the downtown is rising upward and upward, both in terms of cost of living and the literal height of its buildings. I agree it's not pretentious, but it's not fun and it's not aesthetically pleasing.

Personally, I really enjoy downtown New Canaan. It's a beautiful little downtown and as a kid born and raised in Greenwich, I've learned to be impervious about caring about other people's wealth. I can enjoy driving through the streets of New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, Westport or any other expensive town without disdain towards the financial fortunes of my surroundings. It's a nice feeling.

In response to your critique of Norwalk, you picked the absolute worst thing about Norwalk, so I can't put much merit into your low-hanging fruit. New Jersey is known for the stink of Elizabeth, but it's not fair to judge an entire state based on a bad passing smell on the NJT, right?

Stamford's population has grown, but so has Norwalk's population. The difference in population growth over the last decade is 5.7% to 3.8%, so while I crown Stamford the King of Connecticut Major City Population Growth, generally there's been strong growth across the Gold Coast. It's interesting you failed to mention that both New Haven and Bridgeport have seen population growth over the last decade, but that would dilute your argument, so I get it.

In summary, glad you love your city and I hope all people get to love where they live.

Now back on thread, how about Norfolk, VA?
Connecticut blew it with their cities, ran an interstate through the middle of Hartford separating it from it's greatest asset and I'll never understand why they were never able to build Bridgeport up, it should be a great city.

Reaction Score
Everybody putting Burlington and Portland, Maine on their list. They've been so highly rated that they are now probably overrated. Think I've only been to Burlington once, it seemed fine but I don't get what's so amazing about it. I dig Portland for what it is but couldn't believe the prices when I went up there during the summer a few years back. They were looking for like $400-500 for a room at The Holiday Inn, it was insane.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Burlington, Portland Me, Providence, New Haven, Portsmouth NH have all have cleaned up and have so many nice areas but to comfortably live in those places you need to fit in the life style and share the philosophical attitude of the current population - not saying its good or bad just it's the way it is.
Love Charlestown SC, Down East Maine towns
I love NYC but it has become a cesspool, Boston is starting to follow suit, too bad
Worcester Ma has really improved

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Burlington, Portland Me, Providence, New Haven, Portsmouth NH have all have cleaned up and have so many nice areas but to comfortably live in those places you need to fit in the life style and share the philosophical attitude of the current population - not saying its good or bad just it's the way it is.
Love Charlestown SC, Down East Maine towns
I love NYC but it has become a cesspool, Boston is starting to follow suit, too bad
Worcester Ma has really improved
correct on the 'philosophical attitude' in some areas round these parts. eg. ya caint even buy a pack of menthols in massachusetts anymore! pathetic. 'holier than thou' writ large. on the udder hand, just back aways from the interstates, it's much different. thankfully. live and let live rules the vibe. heck, there's even a state whose motto is 'live free or die.'

Reaction Score
You didn’t mention the homeless people hanging out at McDonald’s or by the library on Bedford. Stamford has real big city challenges, but manages them much better than Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport and Waterbury.

Comparing Stamford to Hartford, Bridgeport, Waterbury or New Haven is laughable. The household income in Stamford is closer to freaking San Francisco than it is any of our other cities. I don't really even consider Stamford a part of this state. It's a different world.

Median household income:
  • Stamford: 83,309
  • Hartford: 30,444
  • New Haven: 37,508
  • Bridgeport: 34,658
  • Waterbury: 41,134
I wonder why they could POSSIBLY handle "big city challenges" better than Hartford.

How about the number of homeless people?
  • Stamford: 255 (129,000 total)
  • Hartford: 500 (123,000 total)
  • New Haven: 660 (130,000 total)
  • Bridgeport: 400 (145,000 total)
  • Waterbury: 180 (108,000 total)
You're looking at well over double the household income in our other cities per capita (median), and half the homeless people on average.. I guess you have to look at a homeless person on the way to your public library after you get your froyo. I'm sorry you have to endure that.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No one cares about Stamford, but no one does anything worse than Hartford.

If you really want to fix Hartford, take the signs down and make long term plans towards making the entire place a empty field.

Then, start over.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Everybody putting Burlington and Portland, Maine on their list. They've been so highly rated that they are now probably overrated. Think I've only been to Burlington once, it seemed fine but I don't get what's so amazing about it. I dig Portland for what it is but couldn't believe the prices when I went up there during the summer a few years back. They were looking for like $400-500 for a room at The Holiday Inn, it was insane.
maine has always been a colony of massachusetts, so when the soul-patch crowd got priced outta beantown, they skidaddled north in pursuit of cheaper rents, bringing their brews and coffee thing with them. voila! instant 'hip vibe' (for some).
there is a zipline that runs from burlington to boulder, colorado, never stopping anywhere in between. phish rules! (or so they say). funny to watch boomers trying so hard to be hipster doofusses (doofi?). hey boomers! they're called doofusses for a reason! shave that thing already, grey isn't the cool color.

Reaction Score
Comparing Stamford to Hartford, Bridgeport, Waterbury or New Haven is laughable. The household income in Stamford is closer to freaking San Francisco than it is any of our other cities. I don't really even consider Stamford a part of this state. It's a different world.

Median household income:
  • Stamford: 83,309
  • Hartford: 30,444
  • New Haven: 37,508
  • Bridgeport: 34,658
  • Waterbury: 41,134
I wonder why they could POSSIBLY handle "big city challenges" better than Hartford.

How about the number of homeless people?
  • Stamford: 255 (129,000 total)
  • Hartford: 500 (123,000 total)
  • New Haven: 660 (130,000 total)
  • Bridgeport: 400 (145,000 total)
  • Waterbury: 180 (108,000 total)
You're looking at well over double the household income in our other cities per capita (median), and half the homeless people on average.. I guess you have to look at a homeless person on the way to your public library after you get your froyo. I'm sorry you have to endure that.
Get a clue about what Stamford was like in 1970 then come back to me. It was a rotted out urban core. Of course you don’t consider it part of the state. Maybe you would if you could comprehend the disproportionate amount of tax revenue that the city contributes as tax welfare for wherever you live. Spare me.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
stamford, in a nutshell. the story goes that the Rich bros, seeing the mostly disaster of the 'model cities' thing on the horizon, first checked in with Bridgeport to see if they could get carte blanche for massive redevelopment. Bridgeport said no, so the boys tried again with Stamford. Stamford said 'heck yeah! have at it!'
the rest, as they say, is history.
'One of the most significant events in the Company’s long and venerable history occurred in 1960 with its selection as the redeveloper of downtown Stamford’s massive urban renewal project.'
'Ultimately, the renewal effort launched by F. D. Rich and the City of Stamford led to the construction of more than 20 buildings comprising seven million square feet of offices, hotels, apartments and retail stores.'
History | F. D. Rich Company (fdrich.com)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stamford just a city of luxury apartment complexes and little else. Lived downtown for 3 years and grew up near it. Probably a fine place to live with a family but as a 20 something, didn't care for it.

Reaction Score
Stamford just a city of luxury apartment complexes and little else. Lived downtown for 3 years and grew up near it. Probably a fine place to live with a family but as a 20 something, didn't care for it.

OK, sounds like you stayed close to home... in a city that is 52 square miles.

Reaction Score
Get a clue about what Stamford was like in 1970 then come back to me. It was a rotted out urban core. Of course you don’t consider it part of the state. Maybe you would if you could comprehend the disproportionate amount of tax revenue that the city contributes as tax welfare for wherever you live. Spare me.

What do the 1970s have anything to do with this? Places change... gasp! Those stats are from 2018.

Gonna address the fact that Stamford has 250% the median household income right now? Or just talk about the 1970s some more?

I doubt you have an answer because 1) you're an idiot and 2) the answer as to why Stamford is able to thrive unlike Hartford, New Haven, etc. is quite obviously that it is way wealthier. If you don't get that fact, please refer to point #1

Reaction Score
I can only go off of 15-20 years ago when I was in my early 20's visiting my brother and friend and the city seemed soulless. Can't speak to the neighborhoods but where young people hung out seemed to suck. Had more fun in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Are people allowed to think differently than you? You seem exactly like the type of person that one encounters in stamford and hangs out with the same people they grew up with and never left. The city is souless. Hell they closed bobby valentine's to put up a new one that's just a glorified buffalo wild wings.

Reaction Score
Arlington and Alexandria Virginia
Silver Spring, Rockville, and Bethesda Maryland
Portland Maine, though I fear it has become overrun with hipsters.
Portsmouth New Hampshire
Savanah Georgia though it is really just the immediate city center because otherwise it just ugly urban sprawl as soon as you leave the center
Athens Georgia
West Hartford CT
Pittsburgh

Reaction Score
Are people allowed to think differently than you? You seem exactly like the type of person that one encounters in stamford and hangs out with the same people they grew up with and never left. The city is souless. Hell they closed bobby valentine's to put up a new one that's just a glorified buffalo wild wings.
Yeah. Actually you don’t know me. So keep making ass..umptions. I’ve likely lived in a hell of a lot more diverse cities than you have. Soulless? Maybe because you’re a spoiled guy who grew up in Fairfield County and aren’t part of a community. No, the people I grew up with don’t live here anymore. And no, I’m not part of the WASP class you’re likely bred from.

Reaction Score
What do the 1970s have anything to do with this? Places change... gasp! Those stats are from 2018.

Gonna address the fact that Stamford has 250% the median household income right now? Or just talk about the 1970s some more?

I doubt you have an answer because 1) you're an idiot and 2) the answer as to why Stamford is able to thrive unlike Hartford, New Haven, etc. is quite obviously that it is way wealthier. If you don't get that fact, please refer to point #1

oh. It has nothing to do with decades of corruption and mismanagement in those other cities. No, not at all. Keep your rich lower Fairfield County narrative going.

Reaction Score

Name calling. Tough guy I see.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Actually you don’t know me. So keep making ass..umptions. I’ve likely lived in a hell of a lot more diverse cities than you have. Soulless? Maybe because you’re a spoiled guy who grew up in Fairfield County and aren’t part of a community. No, the people I grew up with don’t live here anymore. And no, I’m not part of the WASP class you’re likely bred from.
If you've lived in a more diverse neighborhood than Queens, let's hear it.

Reaction Score
oh. It has nothing to do with decades of corruption and mismanagement in those other cities. No, not at all. Keep your rich lower Fairfield County narrative going.

You sir, dare I say "boomer" are insane. I'm at my 3 posts and ignore limit here, so enjoy yelling at everyone about how Stamford is great some more!

Reaction Score
If you've lived in a more diverse neighborhood than Queens, let's hear it.

Says the guy who just called superjohn an ass. You're worse than Chief with the self aggrandizing delusion ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom