Underrated US Cities | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
It's nice seeing a lot of people mention Milwaukee and Cincinnati, two cities I'd love to visit and parlay that trip with a UConn game.

Lots of mentioning of Portsmouth too. I've never been, but a friend of mine moved there along with his wife and kids a few years ago and can't wait to check it out, it looks gorgeous.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
New Haven belongs on that list. From an off he charts Yale Museum, to the best pizza in America - not to mention GREAT Italian restaurants, boating on the sound, concerts on the Green, bar scene is top notch, good music scene, pretty decent off off broadway theater, vastly underrated city.

You’re not wrong.
My hometown of Pittsburgh is number one but I’ll throw Columbus into the mix...

As close as it is, I never really considered a trip to Columbus until a few years ago when we had a game at OSU. Since then I’m angry I waited so long to make the trip, as it’s a seriously fun spot. R Bar in the Arena District is truly the best sports bar I’ve ever been to. Tons of fun spots, great food, and very affordable. Can’t recommend it enough.

You’re not wrong either.

Reaction Score
Savannah is the hood and Charleston is a gorgeous place full of interesting mansions, brick roads and amazing landscaping. I don’t see the similarity at all.
I just don’t get the Savannah thing. Pretty rough, lots of sewage smell around town, a little scary after dark even in the nice parts and the good part just isn’t very big.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love my city of Buffalo as "underrated."

It's great for what it is, but people on the outside don't know enough about it so they make the easy jokes and rash judgments.

Anyone who spends more than 2 days here falls in love and despite plenty of crap still holding it back, it's changed drastically in the last 20 years.

I don't know about how it's rated in the general public, but Toronto is one of my favorite cities.
If you're going to pitch Buffalo, I'll add Rochester. Both get a bad rap because of snow without skiing, but, yes, there's lots to like for those who live there or visit.
New York City.

Hidden gem, really under-discussed.
Queens, in particular, is underrated. If the path along (or beneath) the 7 train out to Flushing isn't the most ethnically diverse place on the planet any longer, it's still in the top 5.

@karstenkibbe, you might as well add Douglaston to Jamaica Estates and Forest Hills Gardens, and then properly consider them a component of the borough's staggering variety of cultures, from the north to south shore.
just curious... under what measures have things “gotten worse” in Stamford? It’s the only major city in the entire state with positive population growth. It just overtook New Haven in population, and in 10 years, it will likely be the largest city in the state. Young people are moving to Stamford in droves - many of whom are coming from NYC. If I was 25, I would love to live in Harbor Point, the most ambitious and successful residential development project this state has seen in a long time.

I don’t get the “stale, upper class growth” statement. There’s literally nothing pretentious about this city. Stamford is NOTHING like Greenwich, Darien or New Canaan. You didn’t mention the homeless people hanging out at McDonald’s or by the library on Bedford. Stamford has real big city challenges, but manages them much better than Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport and Waterbury. In fact, the city consistently places in the top 10 safest cities above 100,000 population on the FBI’s safest cities list.

Like you, I’m biased too. I was born here and grew up here. I’ve lived in Chicago, L.A., Houston and NYC. Moved back here with my family a decade ago. Is it the same as it was in the 70s? Nope. Do I miss some things? Of course. But this city is so much more livable now. And I wouldn’t trade it for Norwalk’s strip malls that dominate the Post Road from the Darien border to the Westport border. To each his/her own, I guess.
North Stamford, in parts, is indistinguishable from back country Greenwich and New Canaan.

One thing that has genuinely distinguished Stamford from other CT cities is that it united what we're once separate places into a unified city even before the redeveloped downtown that has been mentioned. As pointed out elsewhere, many US cities have done similarly, annexing adjacent towns and even entire counties (like done or all of Louisville, Columbus, San Antonio, and Indianapolis have), and become healthier for it.

Someone similarly noted that West Hartford, Glastonbury would be interesting, wealthy, tax-revenue contributing neighborhoods in such metropolitanized cities, but Conbecticut's cities suffer in part because only in Stamford do the wealthy and poor have to share resources & responsibilities. Stamford also hugely benefitted from CT's more attractive tax structure when major corporations departed from NYC a half century ago.

Reaction Score
Late on this one but here are some towns/cities I enjoy that can be overlooked.

I live in Charlotte, think it’s a good city. For those that ask about retiring here, I’d suggest against it. Very liveable city, fun times to be had, but wouldn’t suggest retiring here because of it not being close enough to the beach. It’s also gotten pretty expensive, could probably find a cheaper option.

Brevard, NC is a pretty underrated town. It’s small, but at the entrance of Pisgah National Forest. Cool little mountain town, some of the best hiking on the east coast. Few other towns would include Carrboro/Chapel Hill, Boone/Blowing Rock, honestly can’t go wrong with any of the mountain towns in Western NC. Some of the best scenery in the country out that way and the highest peak east of the Mississippi.

Charleston, SC certainly isn’t underrated but it’s my favorite beach town in the southeast. St Augustine is another one of my favorites as well. I’d add Wilmington too if looking at beaches in that region.

Reaction Score
I agree with Providence. It gets crapped on and is a nice city. Terrific restaurants, good arts & music, even has some good breweries, especially Long Live Beer Works.

Burlington, Savannah, Charleston are terrific, but not underrated.

Kansas City is underrated. The Plaza area is really nice, and they have done a terrific job creating interesting spots for dining, bars, music etc. Long a center for Jazz and Blues music, and of course BBQ. Few cities have upgraded themselves the way it has over the last 20 years. Curious if @ZooCougar agrees.

Aiken, SC is quite nice. It's across the river from Augusta, GA. It is loaded with horse farms, and is an equestrian center. It has a really nice downtown area, lots of outdoor dining and it has become fairly young and vibrant, in part due to the growth of U SC - Aiken.

Worcester, MA is closing in on being underrated. It doesn't have a great rep, and still have some work to do. But the downtown is pretty decent, it has 3 colleges, several breweries sprung up, and now the Red Sox AAA team has moved in to Polar Park, which is going to include a new dining/bar area. It is a biotech hub, and given that it is still inexpensive, I think it will be a target of increased gentrification. Loads of gorgeous old homes.

Very underrated. KC has just about everything you could want. They don’t have NHL or NBA.

Reaction Score
It's nice seeing a lot of people mention Milwaukee and Cincinnati, two cities I'd love to visit and parlay that trip with a UConn game.

Lots of mentioning of Portsmouth too. I've never been, but a friend of mine moved there along with his wife and kids a few years ago and can't wait to check it out, it looks gorgeous.
The thing about a place like Milwaukee is it’s not the northeast. People in the northeast (CT, NYC, NJ, Boston) are short tempered and unfriendly. Head to somewhere like Milwaukee and people are just nicer.

Reaction Score
“Underrated” means, to me, that most people think it sucks but in reality it does not. The top of that list is Birmingham. Very nice downtown, good restaurant scene, people hanging out outdoors. I was really surprised by it.

I’d include Bozeman, MT but I think the secret is out about it.

Reaction Score
If you're going to pitch Buffalo, I'll add Rochester. Both get a bad rap because of snow without skiing, but, yes, there's lots to like for those who live there or visit.

Queens, in particular, is underrated. If the path along (or beneath) the 7 train out to Flushing isn't the most ethnically diverse place on the planet any longer, it's still in the top 5.

@karstenkibbe, you might as well add Douglaston to Jamaica Estates and Forest Hills Gardens, and then properly consider them a component of the borough's staggering variety of cultures, from the north to south shore.

North Stamford, in parts, is indistinguishable from back country Greenwich and New Canaan.

One thing that has genuinely distinguished Stamford from other CT cities is that it united what we're once separate places into a unified city even before the redeveloped downtown that has been mentioned. As pointed out elsewhere, many US cities have done similarly, annexing adjacent towns and even entire counties (like done or all of Louisville, Columbus, San Antonio, and Indianapolis have), and become healthier for it.

Someone similarly noted that West Hartford, Glastonbury would be interesting, wealthy, tax-revenue contributing neighborhoods in such metropolitanized cities, but Conbecticut's cities suffer in part because only in Stamford do the wealthy and poor have to share resources & responsibilities. Stamford also hugely benefitted from CT's more attractive tax structure when major corporations departed from NYC a half century ago.
With all due respect, have you driven across backcountry Greenwich, North Stamford and New Canaan in the last 25 years? The parts of North Stamford that are similar to its neighbors to the east and west are almost impossible to find. Until covid hit, the average home value in North Stamford was $620,000 and $215/sq ft. You can’t sniff a shack in the towns to the east and west for those prices. What is with people on the Boneyard making things up to conveniently support their stories.
Take a drive up Long Ridge and High Ridge north of the Merritt. Mostly homes stuck in the 1980s that languished on the market for more than a year until NYers decided they needed to run from covid.

Reaction Score
The thing about a place like Milwaukee is it’s not the northeast. People in the northeast (CT, NYC, NJ, Boston) are short tempered and unfriendly. Head to somewhere like Milwaukee and people are just nicer.

People are actually nice in the upper Midwest, as opposed to the South where they hide behind the friendly accent.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
First cities that came to mind for me were Mke and Cinci as well. Interesting to see how many people have reiterated that in this thread. Mke in particular has it all, and affordable.

I design and install exteriors on multifamily structures. Back when we were in the **C, we were working on a student housing building on the Cincinnati campus. There is a "Go Uconn" underneath the cladding 14 stories up, looking down on those rubes.

Reaction Score
The only time I've been was on the tail end of a road trip after high school. Slept in my car (no doors) next to a dumpster because I ran out off money...good times
Lake George is stuck in the 50’s with hokey attractions and outdated motels. It’s a cheap, mildly entertaining weekend if your kids are small enough to enjoy the kitsch.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
With all due respect, have you driven across backcountry Greenwich, North Stamford and New Canaan in the last 25 years? The parts of North Stamford that are similar to its neighbors to the east and west are almost impossible to find. Until covid hit, the average home value in North Stamford was $620,000 and $215/sq ft. You can’t sniff a shack in the towns to the east and west for those prices. What is with people on the Boneyard making things up to conveniently support their stories.
Take a drive up Long Ridge and High Ridge north of the Merritt. Mostly homes stuck in the 1980s that languished on the market for more than a year until NYers decided they needed to run from covid.
and almost every single one from nyc, with many from queens, which now magically here has somehow been transformed into paradise on earth (note; i have kin in queens going back at least a century). iffn you know him, the Chief of the long ridge fire department (as you know, that 'semi-private' FD is an interesting story in and of itself -a clash of cultures) is old school Stamford personified, and knows all things. good dude. 2 family houses in queens regularly sell for 1+ million, and folks are beating feet out cuz the crime thing has become intolerable, in addition to the bug thing. of course, all are welcome, and i can't blame them for wanting their children to be in a real live classroom, just check the loud attitude at the state line. it's bad enough that populated fairdale county has morphed into westchester. oops, forgot to mention the tsunami of taxes coming for their wallets any day now, cuz, contrary to a lot of the thoughts here, many folks place a high importance on taxes and such when considering a move. florida has around a 1000 people a day moving in. smart folks. here's the latest:
NYC rents continue to hit record lows (nypost.com)
but some of youse knew this was coming over a year ago, amiright?
mr wayans tv show 'my wife and kids' was set in Stamford. normal guy trying to live a normal life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Snohomish, WA. Wifey and I spent an anniversary weekend up there few years back and just did a bunch of hikes in the area. Beautiful area but not a lot going on if you're not just there to enjoy the outdoors

Reaction Score
I just don’t get the Savannah thing. Pretty rough, lots of sewage smell around town, a little scary after dark even in the nice parts and the good part just isn’t very big.
I've spent a lot of time in Savannah and never smelled sewage and never been scared. The idea that Savannah is a scary place is weird to me, the city is based on tourism. Downtown is all trolleys, people on leisurely strolls, and tour groups. Sure there's poor areas with crime like any other place...I

I've been to the hood during the day but there's no reason to ever go there at night, there's no reason to ever go to any hood at night unless you have to live there. Just use common sense in Savannah like you would any other place and you'll be fine.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's hard to discern much respect in a phrasing like "making things up to conveniently support...stories," if such a description applied to me.

I based what I wrote on a friend who spent elementary school years in a well-known Park Avenue co-op, before moving out to the family's weekend property of 100 acres on June Rd that were split between her grandparents and their two children. There were horses, fields & woods across varied terrain, and paths to the homes of neighbors with distinction in the worlds of finance, philanthropy, entertainment, and international affairs. Summers were spent on the Ausable River within the Adirondack High Peaks. The kids went to private schools in Greenwich. Property taxes supported the city of Stamford.

Reaction Score
First cities that came to mind for me were Mke and Cinci as well. Interesting to see how many people have reiterated that in this thread. Mke in particular has it all, and affordable.

I design and install exteriors on multifamily structures. Back when we were in the **C, we were working on a student housing building on the Cincinnati campus. There is a "Go Uconn" underneath the cladding 14 stories up, looking down on those rubes.
Edit: It was actually UC guys who wrote "Go UConn." And sure enough, UConn went, taking its little-girl football team with it.

Reaction Score
I’d include Bozeman, MT but I think the secret is out about it.
It definitely is, at least within the super rich of Fairfield County. A few families at my school have owned property in the Big Sky area for close to a decade now and it's getting cheaper and easier to fly direct to Bozeman from NYC. A co-worker of mine took her spring break trip to Bozeman and her flight was $240, insane as back when my in-laws were in Montana, I've never paid less than $600 to fly into Billings.

On that note, I nominate Butte, MT. Others posted about Missoula, Bozeman, Whitefish, but while these towns/cities might not be super well known, I wouldn't rate them as underrated.

Butte has historically been considered the black sheep city amongst Montanans once the copper boom ended. For decades it was depressed, drug-infested, just sad, but thankfully, its beautiful uptown remained mostly in tact and its experiencing quite a revitalization. Its uptown is the 2nd largest National Historic District in the country (New Orleans is #1) and daring small business owners have really done a nice job cleaning it up. Had one of the best meals of my life at the Uptown Cafe, five courses for $30.

It's also a great location, less than 100 miles from Missoula, Helena (another underrated city) and Bozeman, so it's less of an "island" than other Montana locations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going to nominate a town where I expected nothing but really enjoyed myself: Duluth, MN. Honestly the friendliest damned place I've ever been. And I had a blast in the two days I was there. Yes, it was summer, so it's a qualified response.

Also, as we used to visit Pirates spring training and hope to again soon, the Bradenton/Sarasota area has a ton of cool stuff. I never thought I'd give Florida a thought as somewhere to live, but we're seriously considering that area. Good local and Latin food, solid microbreweries, cheap golf, beaches (not my thing but they're there), St. Armand's Circle, Cortez (nearby), and minor league baseball, among other things.

And yes to Milwaukee. I live in Pittsburgh, and it has lots of assets, but we have more rainy days than Seattle. And you can't bike safely in the suburbs.
I worked in the New Stanton/Greenburg area for a year. I was surprised about the weather, remembering many T'storm warnings. That and french fries on top of my salad. I liked Pittsburg. Caught some Bucs games and Uconn mens&womens basketball at Pitt. Opening day of hunting season was a holiday?

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've spent a lot of time in Savannah and never smelled sewage and never been scared. The idea that Savannah is a scary place is weird to me, the city is based on tourism. Downtown is all trolleys, people on leisurely strolls, and tour groups. Sure there's poor areas with crime like any other place...I

I've been to the hood during the day but there's no reason to ever go there at night, there's no reason to ever go to any hood at night unless you have to live there. Just use common sense in Savannah like you would any other place and you'll be fine.

Last fall Mrs. Diesel and I had back to back days in Charleston and Savannah. Both days had pretty good weather and gave a glimpse of the similarities and differences. Charleston defininitely had more upscale shopping and a cleaner, old south money kind of feel to it. Felt very preppy and pretentious. The college girls had their sundresses and hats and the boys had their proper polo shirt untucked with khaki shorts and boat shoes. Plenty of retirees as well just aimlessly walking outside. Mrs. Diesel's smart watch put us at over 35,000 steps for the day in Charleston. That being said everything was clean, everything was nice. Food was great. You'd need almost a month to get through all the great eateries.

Savannah is almost a cleaner version of New Orleans. That's not necessarily a compliment. You could definitely see and smell trash in the alleyways behind businesses and you could smell weed in quite a few spots. That being said, it was filled with people walking and enjoying a good day. Savannah also let you grab a drink in a bar and take it out on the streets so long as you were in the entertainment district. Definitely never felt endangered or threatened. Food was plenty good. Watching the caramels, pralines and fudge made in front of you in big copper kettles is a fun site.

I would never live in either city, but I could live in the 'burbs around either area.

Reaction Score
The Office Reaction GIF
Trustafarians we call them.

Reaction Score
Overrated IMO. Sierra Nevada and New Belgium don’t move my “best craft brewery scene” needle too much. Anyone I’ve met from there is completely smug and full of themselves.
I agree. If anything, it’s way over rated. It wasn’t always that way. It’s changes as it’s population has changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom