Unbeatens | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Unbeatens

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Arizona and Colorado are unknowns as their schedule (or lack of of one) doesn’t truly tell us where they are on the overall landscape. AZ is decent and maybe a top 25 team with a star player, Colorado is not but where after the Top 25 do they belong. Texas Tech and Kansas ARE FRAUDS! This is clearly a pathetic attempt by their coaches to pad their wins. The Massey ratings prove this and hopefully the RPI does as well. Voters are often fooled by this type of shenanigans, while we here on the BY are not.
That said, all the other teams have done well and have promising seasons ahead of them. Should be great to watch.
To me, the 4 years since our Stewie, Mo and Tuck dominance of being bad for WCBB has elevated many programs to recruit better, to coach better, to schedule better and has had a trickle down effect even before the 2013-16 years as there are more top players each year being produced. It’s not like the Men’s game yet but more talent means more parity FOR THE TOP TEAMS. Instead of 3 or 4, now there might be 8, 9 or 10 teams with legitimate chances. That’s good for the game....until next year (and the 4 years after that) kicks in and UConn is once again bad :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to Stanford/Colorado game just to hear announcers say “Stanford’s Pretzel is guarding Colorado’s Peanut.” Pronounced that way, if spelled differently.
Ummm, wouldn't that be way funnier if the Peanut was guarding the Pretzel????

:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona and Colorado are unknowns as their schedule (or lack of of one) doesn’t truly tell us where they are on the overall landscape. AZ is decent and maybe a top 25 team with a star player, Colorado is not but where after the Top 25 do they belong. Texas Tech and Kansas ARE FRAUDS! This is clearly a pathetic attempt by their coaches to pad their wins. The Massey ratings prove this and hopefully the RPI does as well. Voters are often fooled by this type of shenanigans, while we here on the BY are not.
I will say that I agree Arizona is decent. I am really not ready to anoint them a true top 25 until I see them play in conference.

Stanford may have lost to Texas, that does not make them chopped liver. Arizona opens the season with a brutal run - at the school up north, then at the 2 LA's, and then hosting the 2 Oregons. We could probably go 2-3 and still be a good team, 3-2 I'll be proud of them, 4-1 yeah, we are a top 25 team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I will say that I agree Arizona is decent. I am really not ready to anoint them a true top 25 until I see them play in conference.

Stanford may have lost to Texas, that does not make them chopped liver. Arizona opens the season with a brutal run - at the school up north, then at the 2 LA's, and then hosting the 2 Oregons. We could probably go 2-3 and still be a good team, 3-2 I'll be proud of them, 4-1 yeah, we are a top 25 team.
The issue I will have with AZ will be if they still schedule this poor lot of OOC teams next year. She is a very good coach and does herself a disservice to not play a tougher schedule.

Reaction Score

I am not sure Colorado lacks a star player. They replaced one of the best point guards in country with a freshman who is playing very well and have four more players capable of scoring 20 in any game. But they are going to get blasted in conference play.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The issue I will have with AZ will be if they still schedule this poor lot of OOC teams next year. She is a very good coach and does herself a disservice to not play a tougher schedule.
As I have said in the past, Adia Barnes has stated that the OOC will be better in the future. A lot of this years games were planned before the end of last season.

That said, I am beginning to think it won't be the greatest, as today in the paper she was quoted as asking what playing top teams OOC will gain her when she has the murderer's row that is the PAC. I suspect it will be an upgrade and not one of the weakest in the country, but I also expect it will be mid-range.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As I have said in the past, Adia Barnes has stated that the OOC will be better in the future. A lot of this years games were planned before the end of last season.

That said, I am beginning to think it won't be the greatest, as today in the paper she was quoted as asking what playing top teams OOC will gain her when she has the murderer's row that is the PAC. I suspect it will be an upgrade and not one of the weakest in the country, but I also expect it will be mid-range.
That's unfortunate she feels that way, because last year they were a bubble team and they very well might've made the tournament if she'd given her team opportunities for significant wins in their OOC schedule (not to mention the fact that the atrocious NC SOS fatally dragged down their RPI). What it gains her is more resume-building opportunities and more margin of error in case things don't go great in the Pac-12.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would also give credit to Washington State which at 7-5 has the worst pre-conference record in PAC-12, having scheduled and lost to Gonzaga, Indiana, Baylor and South Carolina.

And Miami. They may not be as good as originally thought before the season started, but still a tough road game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What Adia Barnes has said.

My first year, people were off the hook and now we’re having a tough time finding games,” Barnes said. “But it’s a good problem. But we will have tougher competition, but we won’t ever have eight ranked. We won’t play Mississippi State, UConn, Baylor. Like, we’re just not because I get those in the conference and that’s enough.”

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What Adia Barnes has said.

My first year, people were off the hook and now we’re having a tough time finding games,” Barnes said. “But it’s a good problem. But we will have tougher competition, but we won’t ever have eight ranked. We won’t play Mississippi State, UConn, Baylor. Like, we’re just not because I get those in the conference and that’s enough.”

Thanks for the article. I don't follow the source, my remark was based on items in Greg Hansen's recent column in the Daily Star.

Every program should have a Hansen. He loves the Wildcats and never misses an opportunity to say something downgrading or negative. Odd bird, but been doing it over 30 years. Truly highlights the Tucson sports scene.

Reaction Score
Colorado’s last chance to stay unbeaten comes against Utah this Sunday. Utah was picked to finish above Colorado in PAC-12 but CU has done much better against common opponents so far, CU besting Xavier by 9, Utah losing by 7, CU besting Texas Southern by 24, Utah winning by 9. But the game is being played on Utah Court. I am looking forward to seeing Ola, Anna’s sister, in action. Next up for CU are road games with Oregon and Oregon State. Anything short of a blowout would be a positive, an unlikely win against either would put them in top 25.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to seeing Ola, Anna’s sister, in action.

Check out Brynna Maxwell, an unheralded Fr. from near Seattle who is leading them in scoring so far this year and hitting 43% of her 3's.

Reaction Score
Check out Brynna Maxwell, an unheralded Fr. from near Seattle who is leading them in scoring so far this year and hitting 43% of her 3's.
I saw Maxwell lead her Gig Harbor HS team to a state title in 2018 over a Dalayah Daniels-led Garfield HS squad. Maxwell had a fantastic game in the championship game and really showed that she might be able to excel at the D1 level in that coming-out game. She is an easy player to root for because she plays the game the right way.

Reaction Score
Maxwell is leading Utes in scoring with 13 per game followed very closely by another freshman (from Spain.) Ola, a red shirt junior, who was outstanding at Liberty, has quickly moved into starting lineup since transferring. The CU game, given it’s a home game for Utes, should be a tossup but with a lot of foreign players on both sides, presumably because top schools grab off all the best American players.

Reaction Score
On Sunday 12/29, there are games involving seven of the remaining unbeaten nine.
Team
Wins
12/29 game
Arizona​
11​
@ Arizona St​
Colorado​
11​
@ Utah​
Florida St​
12​
vs. Virginia Tech​
Kansas​
10​
Next 12/30 – Wofford​
NC State​
11​
@ Boston College​
Oregon St​
11​
vs. CS Bakersfield​
Texas Tech​
10​
vs. UT San Antonio​
UCLA​
11​
vs USC​
UCONN​
10​
Next 1/2 – Wichita St​

Reasonable chance there won't be 9 at the end of the day.

Plebe

Reaction Score
On Sunday 12/29, there are games involving seven of the remaining unbeaten nine.
Team
Wins
12/29 game
Arizona​
11​
@ Arizona St​
Colorado​
11​
@ Utah​
Florida St​
12​
vs. Virginia Tech​
Kansas​
10​
Next 12/30 – Wofford​
NC State​
11​
@ Boston College​
Oregon St​
11​
vs. CS Bakersfield​
Texas Tech​
10​
vs. UT San Antonio​
UCLA​
11​
vs USC​
UCONN​
10​
Next 1/2 – Wichita St​

Likely, there won't be 9 at the end of the day.
Don't be shy :cool: who is/are the team(s) that you think will lose?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Colorado and Arizona both are playing "equals". Not "gimme" games like Texas Tech or Oregon St.
Good point. And while UCLA and Florida State will be clear favorites, I wouldn't describe their road games at USC and VT as gimmes either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good point. And while UCLA and Florida State will be clear favorites, I wouldn't describe their road games at USC and VT as gimmes either.

Well if Florida State shows up to play in Blacksburg tomorrow... I guarantee they will lose. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well if Florida State shows up to play in Blacksburg tomorrow... I guarantee they will lose. ;)
Whoa, guaranteeing a VPI win? Bold.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom