UMass signals CUSA | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UMass signals CUSA

Reaction Score
Yes, my point is, as the Autonomy group takes over, those rules can be modified or disappear altogether. Theoretically, the rules could allow a school to have football and no other sports. It would just be an actualization of how many of those folks feel already,

"Who needs those silly Title IX womens sports, or sports that draw little fanfare, but are more for the athletes. Spend more on Football!"
You are aware that Title 9 has nothing to do with the NCAA or conferences, right? It is Federal Law and women at a school are quite capable of hiring nationally prominent lawyers to compel compliance and pay big punitive damages. Title 9 will be enforced at every university come hell or high water.

Reaction Score
You are aware that Title 9 has nothing to do with the NCAA or conferences, right? It is Federal Law and women at a school are quite capable of hiring nationally prominent lawyers to compel compliance and pay big punitive damages. Title 9 will be enforced at every university come hell or high water.
He’s probably right in the sense that we could wake up one day and find a bunch of politicians in lock step with whatever Bama and tOSU told them think. I won’t put anything past these people at this point—-certainly not politicians being told by their constituents that winning football games matters more than healthcare. That will ring true in many SEC, B1G and B12 territories.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am aware. The thought is that maybe the the new "Premier League"(perfect name coined by someone else) may find a way to dissociate itself from Universities.

"If Florida State transferred some or all its sports to a third party (Seminole Boosters LLC) and signed licensing agreements for the use of the university's name, facilities, and other IP, how would Title IX apply? The school would simply not fund these sports and a private entity is not bound by Title IX." =from another poster

In any case, this might be a fantasy, but who the heck knows? What was more plausible 12 months ago, Stanford in the ACC, or creation of a Premier League who play by their own rules, dissociated from NCAA, and Title IX?

Seems to me the "Premier League" is just around the corner. Details in 20 minutes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, I am aware. The thought is that maybe the the new "Premier League"(perfect name coined by someone else) may find a way to dissociate itself from Universities.

"If Florida State transferred some or all its sports to a third party (Seminole Boosters LLC) and signed licensing agreements for the use of the university's name, facilities, and other IP, how would Title IX apply? The school would simply not fund these sports and a private entity is not bound by Title IX." =from another poster

In any case, this might be a fantasy, but who the heck knows? What was more plausible 12 months ago, Stanford in the ACC, or creation of a Premier League who play by their own rules, dissociated from NCAA, and Title IX?

Seems to me the "Premier League" is just around the corner. Details in 20 minutes.
If a separate ran a sports club entitled the Seminoles, completely divorced from the university, it would just be a low level pro team. If FSU decided to stop offering college sports at the same time, it would just be a college that didn't offer sports.

On the other hand if the new professional team advertised itself as being affiliated with the university, played at university venues, etc., it would seem to have a sufficient connection to the university that it would be considered regarding title IX. at that point the university would have to arrange for similar funding for female athletes.

This is one of those ideas that sounds great in a bar at 2 o'clock in the morning, but really doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, in my opinion.

Reaction Score

Whenever your question is "what was more plausible" and you compare an (even strange) conference move with a theory you personally have created for universities getting around important federal law -- well you should know enough to not ask the question.

Reaction Score

It'd still originate from money for the students. You would have to divorce the players from the school.

Reaction Score
Depends how much of an impediment the "Premiers" see Title IX as being to getting what they want. The money being bandied about for Florida States exit cost from the ACC is mind boggling. Why wouldn't they shift those costs to creation of another model?

Title IX decrees equal opportunities for Men and Women in collegiate sport. No way no how can you come with a 1:1 opportunity or allocation of resources for women to match Football. If the Federal Government was serious about enforcement, the Premier group would become very creative about how it wiggled free of that mandate.

Right now, it is not a major issue for these folks. UConn poked the bear and got it's butt handed to it by Womens Rowing.

While not proposing or espousing this model, just seeing it as a possibility if things became too difficult for the Premiers.

Reaction Score
If a separate ran a sports club entitled the Seminoles, completely divorced from the university, it would just be a low level pro team. If FSU decided to stop offering college sports at the same time, it would just be a college that didn't offer sports.
You look at the G League. It is superior basketball to the NCAA at all levels. Players there, people would pay premium money to watch them play in college and when they are in G League, you can get into the building for $10. (John Silver)
I'm guessing this is what you see developing

On the other hand if the new professional team advertised itself as being affiliated with the university, played at university venues, etc., it would seem to have a sufficient connection to the university that it would be considered regarding title IX. at that point the university would have to arrange for similar funding for female athletes.

This is one of those ideas that sounds great in a bar at 2 o'clock in the morning, but really doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, in my opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You look at the G League. It is superior basketball to the NCAA at all levels. Players there, people would pay premium money to watch them play in college and when they are in G League, you can get into the building for $10. (John Silver)
I'm guessing this is what you see developing
Not me. I think the idea of schools attempting to beat title IX by forming a de facto low level pro league is enormously flawed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not me. I think the idea of schools attempting to beat title IX by forming a de facto low level pro league is enormously flawed.
I don't see how it would be feasible

For the sake of argument, let's say that this is something the schools would want and is something that could legally work.

I imagine for it to indemnify the schools from title IX compliance requirements, the athletics would have to be fully independent of the schools (even if the names were being used). This would very likely require the schools to cede full control of their athletic brands (along with everything being performed under these brands) to independent parties. I'm not sure any of these schools would consider this, especially as the risk would be the possibility of someone running wild in an attempt to improve their performances (perhaps even beyond the hookers and blow approach Louisville championed).

I'm not sure that even licensing would provide sufficient separation between the schools and the athletics for title IX to not be an issue. It could require a full fledged sale of the brand and all facilities used by the brand that the schools currently own.

I'm viewing this as a non-starter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Yup.

You want to light a boatload of money on fire in billable hours? Unveil your plan to circumvent Title IX.

And good luck explaining your rationale to the 60-65% of paying customers at your university who happen to be women. “It’s better for football” will not impress them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom