UMass signals CUSA | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UMass signals CUSA

Reaction Score
ESPN announcers on the Kansas broadcast were talking about the match up and conference realignment and how it’s impacted UConn and how it’d be great if these teams played each other more often Almost felt like they were signaling a hoops only move

Reaction Score
Your source still feeling confident?
Don't know if it was himself or the President objections to Liberty. With Delaware already committing may have soften those views. UMass fans say any G5 conference will do. My view is that the MAC is midwest regional and static. CUSA is semi national with east coast presence and then to the south and southwest. It's a better basketball conference than the MAC and has the feel of being on an upswing from near extinction as the B12 . It has an opening NOW and if it happens for 2025-26, will just miss one DECADE of being independent.

Reaction Score
ESPN announcers on the Kansas broadcast were talking about the match up and conference realignment and how it’s impacted UConn and how it’d be great if these teams played each other more often Almost felt like they were signaling a hoops only move
Why on earth do you think guys hired to call basketball games have any more info than anybody else about conference realignment?

Reaction Score
TOPSTRAIGHT, a WKU fan posted some additional bullets.

--NOTHING happening (if then) till late January or even late Spring (various reasons)

-- UMASS fans are told to relax and enjoy the Holidays

-- 4M dollar exit fee from A10 if done by June 30th-IF UMASS joined it would be for 2025-26-ALL SPORTS

--most FB contracts have NO termination fee--not near as much admn. work to be done as with Del.

-- NO RUSH

-- UCONN is a "no go" in any way

-- CUSA will ONLY Add ALL-SPORTS Schools

-- MAC is unlikely to pursue expansion with ANYBODY in the near future

Where was this posted?

Why is UConn a no go in any way? That means they wouldn’t take UConn for all sports.

Note: In no way shape or form would I advocate moving to CUSA for all sports.

Reaction Score
Where was this posted?

Why is UConn a no go in any way? That means they wouldn’t take UConn for all sports.

Because UConn has flat out declined CUSA. No chance.

Reaction Score
Where was this posted?

Behind Matt Brown Paywall, with some information posted on the free extrapoints and then subscribe to see the rest.
The link is on the previous page, #8. Click the USA flag in Huskymedic's post.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Behind Matt Brown Paywall, with some information posted on the free extrapoints and then subscribe to see the rest.
The link is on the previous page, #8. Click the USA flag in Huskeymedic's post.
You don't want to join CUSA now as it is very possibly CUSA opts out of Charlie Baker's compensation plan and the league will no longer be D1-A.

Reaction Score
You don't want to join CUSA now as it is very possibly CUSA opts out of Charlie Baker's compensation plan and the league will no longer be D1-A.
Chizzle, we are not getting into the American, which has potential to clear the bar. That said, it's the same boat as the A10, but the A10 does NOT have football. So wtf, there is no advantage staying in the A10 and CUSA gives us a home and access to the G5 wild card to the College Football Play-offs. easier schedule for making bowls and conference championships.

Pretty sure we knew something like this was coming with the NCAA President and former governor coming for a visit and did hint about this and the universities, who's budgets are over 100M. Will post that youtube after our Football NIL site page.
The Midnight Ride Collective

[video=youtube]

Believe Charlie Baker saw this as an opportunity to meet with MWC Commissioner Gloria Nevarez, who was receiving an award. She played for UMass Women's Basketball and where she received her Sports Management Degree. So with MWC Commissioner and NCAA President here, our Chancellor was probably given great advise. Then on October 28th, both the Chancellor and UMass President went to the West Point game. The week Army officially announced leaving independence. So key information shared and now we are talking with CUSA and hopefully in the next few months make an announcement.

Reaction Score
The link is on the previous page, #8. Click the USA flag in Huskymedic's post.

Yeah I’m not paying for that.

Sounds like there is still ZERO interests in CUSA on the UConn side and that’s why it’s a No Go across the board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

UMass signals CUSA​

200.gif

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not paying for that.

Sounds like there is still ZERO interests in CUSA on the UConn side and that’s why it’s a No Go across the board.
Good. Keep in mind CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt will likely opt out so we would not want to join any of those leagues anyway.

Reaction Score
Nothing burger article. I actually think they are still holding out hope for a football-only invite which is not coming.
Not true, portion of extrapoints and will add, since a few years ago, we have a new Chancellor. He received his doctorate from Texas A&M and is a Dallas Cowboy fan.
For what it’s worth, multiple industry sources have also told me that any future conference additions for Conference USA are expected to be for all sports, and not football-only affiliate memberships. I’m told that UMass had previously considered joining Conference USA in all sports a few years earlier, but decided against it, not wanting to move their basketball program and other Olympic sports from the A-10. But UMass, college football, and the A10 have all changed since 2021.

I’m told that UConn is not considered to be a potential Conference USA target,

Reaction Score
Not true, portion of extrapoints and will add, since a few years ago, we have a new Chancellor. He received his doctorate from Texas A&M and is a Dallas Cowboy fan.

UConn isn’t a target because they know UConn has no interest.

Reaction Score
We'll been hoping UMass would join a G5 conference, now believe it will happen for 2025-26. Particularly after watching the video and hearing words "if it means the department, we'll have to evaluate and we are an outlier in the A10 with hockey and FBS football".

Reaction Score
We'll been hoping UMass would join a G5 conference, now believe it will happen for 2025-26. Particularly after watching the video and hearing words "if it means the department, we'll have to evaluate and we are an outlier in the A10 with hockey and FBS football".

I would think that it would be a no brainer to not continue to tank the football program for the sake of playing A10 sports.

Reaction Score

I'd love to see them go America East for basketball + non-rev sports, Hockey East for hockey, AAC as football-only with us.

A10 is becoming a bloated, underperforming conference anyhow. I'd support the same move with URI (minus FBS football) as well, especially if the rumors of VCU wanting out are true

Reaction Score
Since many are not going to watch the above 30 minute video, will create a few bullets.
The key points start at the 8:12 mark.
  • Behind the scenes and not public facing
  • No more "football only" or "loyal to the A10" stated
  • Bigger picture a move for the whole athletic department
  • Reinforce a full membership change from football only, by saying "we are an outlier in the A10, the only ones with hockey and FBS football"
  • We know we need to make investments in the stadium, which is used for graduations and other events.
  • Football investments have grown in 8 years from the bottom of FBS to the top 1/3 of G5. That is our sweet spot.
  • Right strategic investments. While institution support has gone down the quality, competitiveness, and salaries have gone up.
  • Collectives are strong. The Midnight Ride collective has raised over 100k in the past week and will go from 8-10 players this year to around a 1/3 of the roster.
  • Keeping scores and the Chancellor wants to win!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Since many are not going to watch the above 30 minute video, will create a few bullets.
The key points start at the 8:12 mark.
  • Behind the scenes and not public facing
  • No more "football only" or "loyal to the A10" stated
  • Bigger picture a move for the whole athletic department
  • Reinforce a full membership change from football only, by saying "we are an outlier in the A10, the only ones with hockey and FBS football"
  • We know we need to make investments in the stadium, which is used for graduations and other events.
  • Football investments have grown in 8 years from the bottom of FBS to the top 1/3 of G5. That is our sweet spot.
  • Right strategic investments. While institution support has gone down the quality, competitiveness, and salaries have gone up.
  • Collectives are strong. The Midnight Ride collective has raised over 100k in the past week and will go from 8-10 players this year to around a 1/3 of the roster.
  • Keeping scores and the Chancellor wants to win!
I am glad to see this and it is good for college football in the New York/New England region. Love to see Delaware moving up- wish we could convince Holy Cross and a couple others to make the jump as well (URI??)

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am glad to see this and it is good for college football in the New York/New England region. Love to see Delaware moving up- wish we could convince Holy Cross and a couple others to make the jump as well (URI??)
Why? The less teams in the northeast in FBS the better for recruiting.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Because we are in the process of getting shut out of big time college athletics and I’d like to play other peer institutions that are close to us than Utah State
Overreaction. The NCAA just got sued again this week. Charlie Baker's plan will never happen. True pay for play is coming and we will pay our athletes (even if it means dropping to the bare minimum of sports necessary).

Reaction Score
Overreaction. The NCAA just got sued again this week. Charlie Baker's plan will never happen. True pay for play is coming and we will pay our athletes (even if it means dropping to the bare minimum of sports necessary).
What is the bare minimum of sports? You are required to sponsor a certain amount of sports in order to be in the NCAA. With the autonomy group, becoming a real thing, what would preclude a School from saying we are sponsoring one sport only, football or basketball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom