UMass signals CUSA | The Boneyard

UMass signals CUSA

Reaction Score
Near the end of the Army game, the announcers said UMass was looking for a whole conference move and then they mention CUSA and only CUSA. CUSA has more potential with basketball schools over the MAC, which is ok at the top but the bottom is terrible.

Reaction Score
Good luck if they go that route especially if it was for all sports. Closest school is 600 miles and the next 2 closest are 1000 miles away. Do you think UMass fans would be excited to play the schools in the current CUSA?

Reaction Score
Near the end of the Army game, the announcers said UMass was looking for a whole conference move and then they mention CUSA and only CUSA. CUSA has more potential with basketball schools over the MAC, which is ok at the top but the bottom is terrible.

I suppose you can make this move if you arent any good in other sports, so it doesnt matter if you kill them.

Reaction Score
Good luck if they go that route especially if it was for all sports. Closest school is 600 miles and the next 2 closest are 1000 miles away. Do you think UMass fans would be excited to play the schools in the current CUSA?
Wait till you are on your 8th year of independence. But having a strong east coast presence is a major plus with better football than the MAC. Miami Florida - FIU, Atlanta Georgia - Kennesaw, Delaware and then Liberty a sort of. An east coast division with most of those and WKU and MTSU. Nashville is between those last two and would like to visit.

Reaction Score
If we can win as an indy, we should be ok. Being indy is still better than being an FB only in a conference like CUSA or MAC. Of course, winning in football right now is a tough ask the way we run things.

Plus it would be really tough to turn your back on $500k in CBS money, no bowl alliances and getting continuously screwed by your opponents conference officials!

Independence is awesome.

Reaction Score
CUSA makes less then that for all sports and plays on Wednesdays.

Oh so you think when we are pulling $500k that we actually give a crap about money at this point ?

That’s adorable.

To be clear, I don’t see any appealing viable options. I include remaining independent as one option.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Soon UMass will buy us out. We better line up a FB only seat or tie in somewhere. Indy is fine until there are no games left with teams tied in to more conference games. Then it ain’t. I still say cool your jets as the Rust Belt Sun Belt FB only school.

Reaction Score
Soon UMass will buy us out. We better line up a FB only seat or tie in somewhere. Indy is fine until there are no games left with teams tied in to more conference games. Then it ain’t. I still say cool your jets as the Rust Belt Sun Belt FB only school.
CUSA is 10 schools right now and they struggled to find the 10th. I don't know why CUSA schools would want UMass as an all sports addition given the travel costs. And why do they need an 11th football school?

UConn is pretty set with some minor holes with indy football schedules until 2027 or 2028 so we don't have to do anything right now. I don't think we will be indy in football in 2030.

Reaction Score
CUSA is 10 schools right now and they struggled to find the 10th. I don't know why CUSA schools would want UMass as an all sports addition given the travel costs. And why do they need an 11th football school?

UConn is pretty set with some minor holes with indy football schedules until 2027 or 2028 so we don't have to do anything right now. I don't think we will be indy in football in 2030.
We go with Delaware for the 12th team. They have 3 other fcs schools on a short list.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know, we could ask them, if we could find any.

Reaction Score
Big East and football only somewhere could work. But it’s not a layup.

If people really think independence is working then they have a screw loose.
What does “working” mean?
Is it ideal? No.

Is there a better alternative right now?

The choices are join a conference in all sports (tried that) or stay BE/Indy, because there’s no way in hell anyone is inviting a team with 0 winning seasons in the last 13 years (abt 38-104) to be FB only.

Reaction Score
With umass. You have to realize the system president (former congressman, umass lowell alum) is a sports fan so he's going to want his input on this and if he thinks football leads the bus he's going to want a conference for them. I don't have any true view on the issue as such.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Is it ideal? No.

The choices are join a conference in all sports (tried that) or stay BE/Indy, because there’s no way in hell anyone is inviting a team with 0 winning seasons in the last 13 years (abt 38-104) to be FB only.

Exactly. The current situation isn't really working, but any AVAILABLE alternative is worse. Until someone can actually dictate a better alternative, those yelling at the clouds just look like old men yelling at clouds.

Reaction Score
Is it ideal? No.

You have to make an alternative. But you Independence lovers can sleep tight because it’s pretty clear that we aren’t even thinking about joining someplace.

And I’m not talking about P5. That ship has sailed.

CUSA has talked to us about football only before.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You have to make an alternative. But you Independence lovers can sleep tight because it’s pretty clear that we aren’t even thinking about joining someplace.

And I’m not talking about P5. That ship has sailed.

CUSA has talked to us about football only before.

1) when it was talked about, CUSAs membership was better. Still below the already tried and failed AAC, but better. Now? I still struggle to imagine an independent schedule that would be as bad as a CUSA conference schedule. Also, just like the MAC, there are now midweek games. Another non starter.

2) “you need to make an alternative “
Uh, yeah. So, in exchange for throwing pot shots out against independence, show us your alternative. CUSA aint it. Neither is the MAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom